Chapter 5
43 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Famed magizoologist Newt Scamander was currently staring at the kind, grandfatherly figure of Albus Dumbledore. Though he did not look like his friend, Newt was immediately able to recognize him, although the reason why he was so old was a mystery to him.

"Uhm, Dumbledore, pardon me for saying but, did you recently come in contact with any youth potions or rejuvenation spells?" Newt asked.

"Why, no, my boy. Why did you think that?" older Dumbledore asked, his eyes twinkling.

"Of course, the white beard must be a new vogue" Newt said while rolling his eyes. Just at that moment younger Dumbledore, along with teenage Tom Riddle entered the living room.

Younger Dumbledore came forward, his hand on Tom's shoulder, and guided him towards Newt. After that, he gave Newton a friendly pat on the back and said "Mr. Scamander, I'm glad you could join us. I know things look a bit...odd but the existence of my double so to speak is almost sacrosanct"

"I've come to accept oddities in your presence, professor" Newton answered cheekily and Tom stifled a laugh.

"Good, then you are already used to it. Remember the new threat to the future we've talked about in a missive?" younger Dumbledore asked seriously.

Newt nodded wearily.

"Well, Newton, you can shake hands with him personally. His name is Tom Marvolo Riddle Jr, fourteen years old" younger Dumbledore (who will henceforth be called Albus to distinguish from his future self who will simply be called Dumbledore) said in a slightly playful tone.

"Dumbledore that's a child, not an eldritch abomination" Newt said tiredly before shaking hands with Tom and giving him a slight smile.

Tom broke the silence and asked in an awed tone "Newt Scamander, bestselling writer of 'Fantastic Beasts and where to find them'?"

Newt nodded and Tom almost squealed with happiness "Your manuscript is legendary!"

Albus quirked an eyebrow, his lips twitching in amusement. So his adoptive son was a fan of his ex-pupil...good to know.

"Ah, I wouldn't really call it that" Newton said modestly.

"Newton, my boy, I have called you here to take care of Tom for a day or two. Severus is here but he will be busy brewing potions and Harry, while almost an adult has his childish moments..."

"Not to be nosy but why are you taking care of him? Besides timey-wimey reasons. I thought you did not have other relatives except Aberforth" Newt said and Dumbledore smiled, his face seemed to glow as he declared "I have adopted Tom a few days ago"

"C-congratulations" Newt stuttered feeling surprised and genuinely happy for his friend.

"Newt, I'm afraid I did not call you only to impart with you my happiness, my dear friend. Gellert Grindelwald wrote me a letter a couple of days ago, he seemed, more demented than usual" Dumbledore said.

"However I'm sure the contents of this letter are not for young years" Albus said while gesturing to Tom.

"On the contrary, Albus. It involves us all. Honesty is the best policy" Dumbledore said.

Tom was eager to hear the secret missive Gellert Grindelwald had sent to his adoptive father. Albus accioed the letter, it was written in blue ink on a yellowed page.

It said:

"Mein lieber Freund,

Passed are the days where we would sit near the fire, your phoenix hair neatly combed in a long ponytail. Remember the magical days where we would chase after pretty butterflies, read forbidden tomes and eat Butterkuchen behind my crazy aunt's back? Ah, but I did not write to reminisce, it is unavoidable that I do so, liebling. I must confess Albus that your absence is like an open wound in my side, like a forbidden curse that's griding on my insides, until I ask myself 'Will I die, just a little?' I feel an acidic taste in my mouth whenever I think that you would be there, on the other side, opposing me when we should be as we have always been, Albus, blood brothers! You once saw the might of magic, not as a crude form of entertainment, like no-maji often see it. It is a rare gift, like an equinox, where the celestial equator is crossed but twice each year, so are souls hallowed so sparsely. And yet we still have to bow to the muggle oppressors who outnumber us, who keep us in a chained existence...I grow weary of your rebellion, schatz, and if you don't come back to me I might do something drastic. Come talk to me, I will be at our 'favorite' place.

Regards,

Gellert Grindelwald

Post Scriptum: If you find yourself otherwise indisposed and don't come at all for all reasons except an incurable disease I will start attacking your silly school. Don't make me wait.

After Albus finished reading aloud the disturbing letter, Tom who although knew his german well and was very perplexed to hear Grindelwald call his adoptive father 'a dear friend', could not help but ask " What's his obsession with you?"

"Gellert was, an old friend, before he became how he is. I could not see his darkness because I was blinded by his..." Albus began to say but when it was clear he felt guilty about whatever he was about to say, Tom interrupted him and said "Friendship"

"So you will go?" Newt asked Albus.

"I'm afraid so, my boy" Dumbledore answered him.

The next morning after Dumbledore and Albus had said good-bye to everyone. Before going Albus gave Tom a hug and whispered "Can I trust you not to burn the house down?"

Tom scoffed and nodded.

Time passed. Newt was currently telling Tom about Frank, the Thunderbird he had rescued from illegal traffickers in Egipt.

"Do you like birds, Tom?" Newton asked.

"Oh, I just love them. Roasted, in barbeque sauce, or grilled with potatoes on the side" Tom said hoping to get on Newt's nerves.

Newt, while a bit unnerved, smiled indulgently.

1