Chapter 8 – You’re Coming With Me
192 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

1

Kazuki was seated in front of his laptop when the doorbell first rang. He had wasted no time in getting to work.

His eyes remained fixated on the numerous browser tabs open, with various subjects for each of them. He set aside the tab titled SHIROKI DISAPPEARANCES and took another look at the one that had the name SHIROKI URBAN LEGENDS DEPOSITORY.

IMPERIAL TRACKS EVENT CROWDING was written on a third tab, and the fourth tab was a tab with the title ETERNAL FIGHTER 3 META WATCH.

His fingers continued their frantic typing as he browsed through the tabs and the opinions forum. He laid his eyes on numerous opinions regarding the recent disappearances.

While some did say theories on what was really happening, others were working overtime in order to debunk those. None of the theories that came out really stuck or made sense when Kazuki thought hard about them.

In fact, a lot of those ended up being actual disappearances by people too drunk to find their way back home before being found wasted on the street days later.

Just then, his scrolling stopped. He leaned back and did a double take on a certain comment as the doorbell rang again.

"So this guy recalled someone who went missing but came back wrong?"

Seeing that comment on the discussion thread, Kazuki clicked on it and started reading.

I was a doubter, but I am starting to believe that spirited away thing you guys discuss. Last week I had my girlfriend buy Yuki-tan tickets from someone. Things got a lot suspicious when she stopped responding to my calls. Then she comes back later with no clear memory of what happened! – anon 41930

Pics of her or did not happen xD - istanyukitan

Must be a scalper. Prolly hooked up with your girl along the way and gave her a night she won't remember... kekkers - beyondhorizons

Is that a girl? Must be cheating on you. – anon 19837

No, seriously! We tried everything. I swear she's not lying when she said that she doesn't remember what went down. She remembered buying the ticket from a blonde guy, then nothing. She remembered a dream of going to a different world but she can't even describe it fully. – anon 41930

Yuki-tan fans are the worst degenerates on the Internet. Real talk. - shirokicares

Oh did she get hit by Truck-kun in her dream? - cheezycakes

Guys, please take this seriously. I legit think there is some truth to this urban legend. Those missing people you see on the news, maybe this has something to do with them. – anon 41930

I'm more interested in this girl actually. - freezyboi

"And that's the end of it."

Seeing no more reply after the last comment by freezyboi and looking at the date of the exchange, Kazuki's heart sank.

Five days ago. That was when the last reply was sent.

This is no good. It detailed a situation similar to what happened to him, but with no further development, the case has probably been closed or forgotten, as with a lot of things on the Internet.

Seeing as he has hit a dead end so to speak, he decided to just put that off for the meantime.

Hovering over the other tab, he prepared to look at some tips on what to do for the weekend's Yuki-tan event. The event is all but guaranteed to be crowded as hell, and it more likely than not won't be a pleasant experience to the normally socially-avert Kazuki.

Before he can do so, he was cut off by a voice calling out from the living room.

"Big Bro! Someone's here!"

Kazuki's raised his eyebrows, wondering who it could be. He really did not think of getting a visitor at this time of the day.

While taking his sweet time, he stood up and exit his room.

"Hi, Arata. You feeling fine now?"

Being caught in surprise, Kazuki did not expect hear that charming voice. Standing in the living room was Miki Amagi, and she held a box on her hand.

Kazuki checked the time from a digital device and saw that it's already 5 p.m.

"Yeah," answered him with indifference. "Shiki's not with you today?"

"Oh, he had to do something after school. He said he had to cram for something and had some business with the family," giggled Amagi. "You know, Shiki's just like that."

"Can't say I'm surprised."

Kazuki gave the slightest smile, to which Amagi responded by stretching her hand out and offering the box.

"Here, I dropped by the shop after school and got something for you. They're the new flavor from the shop and your favorite. Chocolate chips."

"O-oh, thanks!" responded Kazuki as he took the box and set it down the table. As he unwrapped the decorative packaging and unveiled two rows of appetizing chocolate chip cookies, he chimed in, "You know, you didn't have to—"

"Uh-uh, that's no way to thank a lady for a gift!" interrupted the apron-wearing Hikari, who came over with her big spoon.

In response, Amagi beamed. "Hehe, I wanted to give you a gift to congratulate you for your recovery, Arata."

"Oh, right in time!" said Hikari. "We're having a celebratory hotpot dinner tonight as well. Wanna stay, Amagi?"

"C-can I?" asked the brown-haired classmate. She looked at Kazuki.

"Why not? Been a while since you came over anyway. Besides, we need another big eater to help finish the food. Otherwise, Hikari would wolf down everything as usual and become fat."

"What do you mean, Big Bro?" asked Hikari, now with a strict expression on her face, to which Amagi just laughed off. "And did you just rudely call your friend a big eater?"

Sulking in a playful manner, Hikari walked back to the kitchen. "Anyway, you two stay there while I prepare our food for the day, okay?"

"Mind if I help?" asked Amagi, raising her hand.

Hikari waved her hand still holding the spoon in reply. "No need! No need! You sit back and enjoy the meal once everything's done."

"Keep Amagi company, okay? And don't do anything inappropriate!" she sternly reminded her brother.

"Okay... W-what inappropriate—what do you take me for, Hikari?"

The brown-haired girl standing beside Kazuki barely suppressed a chortle before turning back to her friend.

"That Hikari..." groaned Kazuki. Scratching his hair, he shook his head before settling down on the sofa. He felt Amagi sitting down beside him while he was reaching for the box of cookies.

"Mind if I do?" he asked. Seeing his friend nod, he took his first cookies and offered some to her. "Make sure to get some, too."

"Sure. I'm curious to see how it tastes, too," happily replied Amagi, who quickly chomped down on one cookie. Her eyes widened in joy. "Oh, this is great!"

"So, what else happened today? Looks like you had fun," inquired Kazuki, who also took a chomp at his cookie. His eyes widened at the first bite, and he looked at his childhood friend. "Whoa, this is really great! Amazing, Amagi!"

For a split second, it seemed that Amagi smiled in a way that he had not seen in a while. It lasted for a few seconds before she gave her reply.

"A lot. I'll tell you everything, Arata."

Seeing Amagi smile like that has always made Kazuki happy. She seemed to be in an upbeat mood today, and she probably does have a lot to tell, enough to last until Hikari finishes preparing dinner.

He prepared to listen on with eager interest.

2

Finding himself squeezed between multiple people packing the monorail, a blonde youth tightly held onto a briefcase that's around the size of his torso. Using his free hand, he unlocked his smartphone which displayed the time. 6:30 p.m.

On pace to not be even a single minute late.

That is, despite his trip before the deal. He recalled his trip to Aspira Hospital half an hour before the trip, as he had done every other day for the past few weeks. With each trip, he had spent some time looking over a blonde woman.

Through those weeks, she never opened her eyes. However, with the assurance from a certain doctor, he knew that those eyes would open once more. The woman that had loved him with the warmth of a mother would soon revive.

He eagerly awaited that day, but he had to make ends meet before that day would come...

"Rush hour is terrible..." he commented as he struggled to breathe at times thanks to how packed the train was.

He would have preferred a deal done later in the night, just like he had done so for the past few days. However, only a fool would reject such a lucrative deal from the client.

Besides, today's items were not as risqué compared to the ones demanded by that arrogant park official a few days back. For one, he did not have to go through gambling or testing his luck with acquiring illegal substances from the shadiest and least trustworthy of the people in Shiroki.

He felt happy that for once, he was acting with a clean conscience. No special precautions, no guilt over smuggling doses of morphine and other illegal substances, and no scalping of tickets. Just plain, clean work involving some of his most prized collections.

"Arriving in South Quinn Street Station. Those transferring to the Shiroki Metro's Red Line, please disembark."

The train's speaker system relayed the announcement three more times before the train slowly decelerated, finally coming to a halt with a screech as it reached its destination.

Squeezing his way through the crowd of people, he positioned himself in front of the doors before seamlessly blending in with the huge crowd of people that disembarked the train.

Navigating the huge monorail stations of Shiroki can prove daunting for newcomers, but the blonde youth easily found his way around South Quinn Street Station in no time.

With the exit in sight, he fell in queue in an orderly manner while recalling how he received that sudden order this morning. The line was long, and noisy can barely describe the surroundings.

Even then, he remained calm as he whistled a popular song while waiting his turn.

Under the online username of JAndS86, he had placed his collector's edition comics and art books for sale. It has been that way for months. A few lowball deals here and there, and he had lost his confidence in getting a decent haul for those things. That is, until today...

Now, those comics and art books waited cozily inside his briefcase, eagerly awaiting their new owner who had agreed to pay a fortune. That buyer had offered more than a passable price for those things that he considered his closest friends for so long.

It pained saying goodbye to them, as with all collectibles that were cherished by their owners, but it had to be done for the greater good.

Walking out of the station, the blonde youth found himself greeted by a huge banner featuring Yuki-tan. Measuring several meters tall and wide, the banner currently depicting the hottest idol in town has long been the signature welcome banner for the bustling district that has been a hit with the young people. Before Yuki-tan, several other high profile idols and idol groups have graced the banner and done the honor of welcoming the district's ever enthusiastic visitors.

Loud songs resonated through the air, clashing with the bus horns on the road behind the station as well as the busy chatter of people bustling about. In an amusing way for the youth, the songs, mostly previews of pop rock hits that are set to be released soon, are seemingly in sync with the changing colors of the flashing lights lined along the first few shops facing the main road.

Opening his phone, the blonde youth flicked and pressed his way to his message history. Scrolling past the numerous chats, he finally found the confirmation for the meetup he set.

"There we go. The tea store right beside Avarice, several blocks away from Imperial Tracks... Yep, I am sure he got that right."

He nodded after seeing the "seen" notification from his buyer, a person with the username sakura398. Sakura398 had not replied directly, but instead had left a thumbs up emote on the youth's message.

Heaving his briefcase, which seemed a bit heavier now than usual, he walked past the welcoming arc where Yuki-tan's banner stood on, entering the shopping district.

5

In their previous conversation, sakura398 seemed amiable enough.

"It's always the ones dealing with shady shit that are the worst," sighed the blonde youth while recalling the good vibes he had when finalizing the deal with sakura398. He remembered the past few days to his dismay.

A run-in with gangs, a very foulmouthed park official, and the fact that he was dealing with illegal activities made him feel like he was at the edge and made him sweat and fear for his life like never before.

At least, he's happy that he stood his ground to that rude park official despite shaking in his boots the whole encounter.

"I just can't get used to that. Geez, and those dudes from movies do it all the time, as if you can get comfty with those people."

He shook his head, but he soon held it high, knowing that once the night is over, he would probably have most of his worries done and come home a lot richer. But he knows that the very money he would get will be a fleeting one.

Those dreams of being rich were nothing but an illusion, especially given his context right now. He knew that all that money would go to the doctor for further treatment. Perhaps with the fortune that he will be getting, he would gaze into this welcoming eyes of a mother once again.

He quietly stood in front of Avarice and the tea store beside it, and he observed other groups of people passing by. With every group passing by, he noticed the happiness and life brimming from all of them.

From schoolgirls enjoying their servings of tea, hyped boys talking about the latest craze in the mobile gaming scene, to even adults passionately discussing Yuki-tan and other idols... he saw it all, something that he once had before losing it that fateful day.

Just then, he felt his phone vibrate and let out an alert tone for a new message. Opening it and assuming that it was from sakura398, he read the message before keying in his reply.

"In front of Avarice. Blue shirt. Briefcase. Backpack. Blonde hair. Cap." He typed, listing down some characteristics which would help the other person find him. For once, he's the one early, and given the other person's probable nature, he surely won't be given an earful this time around either way.

He waited.

One minute.

Five minutes.

Ten minutes.

Already tapping his feet and impatiently looking around, the blonde youth began growing restless. Surely he had not been duped, right? Not this far into the deal.

The feeling of being duped scared the blonde youth with the handle JAndS86.

"Where is he?" he wondered aloud.

He imagined sakura398 to be some otaku dude who frequents the district. Probably lanky, with disheveled hair, and wearing a shirt of his favorite anime character. Either that or some student with glasses who would spend fifteen straight minutes talking about his favorite comic series from the stash he just bought.

"JAndS86?" called out a voice.

The blonde youth felt his heart skip a beat. The voice was not a timid one or one you'd expect out of a socially awkward person like he expected.

It was firm. It was strong.

It was female.

Turning around, the blonde youth found himself coming face to face with the supposed sakura398 from the online shopping website. As he turned, his eyes met those of a girl who was probably around his age.

With fair skin complementing the long, silky black hair that flowed freely, the girl dressed in the navy uniform of a school he did not know exuded a special kind of graceful beauty.

Suddenly, he found his hands tingling. He was not prepared for this at the slightest.

"JAndS86?" asked the girl once more.

"Y-yes!" stammered the blonde. "P-pleased to meet your acquaintance, sakura398."

The girl smiled at him. Without wasting any more time, she opened her wallet and took out a couple of bills.

"T-thank you," said the blonde, now a bit flustered as he handed the briefcase over. As he handed the briefcase over, he waited for the money.

Instead, the girl simply dropped the briefcase with a loud thud, a sound that for the blonde, had the effect of seemingly sucking the air dry from all around him.

"By the way..." said the girl.

When he looked up, gone was the warm and youthful smile that the girl had a while ago. In place of it was a firm expression and narrow eyes that stared like daggers.

"Care to come with me? You have a lot of explaining to do, Jay Shizaki."

The blonde felt the blood from his entire body dry up in a hurry at his real name being mentioned by this complete stranger. His fingers twitched as he tried to avoid eye contact to no avail.

Her look was unflinching, and it's obvious that she would not take no for an answer.

9