Chapter 7 – Things of Assurance
218 7 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

1

"... Alright, boys and girls, let's wrap up the first session of the new school year with a bang, shall we?"

Standing on top of a platform, a tall tan man declared with so much energy that his voice echoed all over Fuyusato's huge indoor pool. Adorned in just his swimming trunks, he faced the crowd of students in swimwear while putting on a toothy grin.

The students took a while to settle down and group themselves into four according to their swimwear. The males had blue and red swimming trunks, while the girls wore one-piece swimsuits that came in navy blue and red colors.

Among those who were in the class was Miki Amagi. Wearing the navy blue swimsuit, she took her place among her peers in class 2-C. As they finished grouping together, their PE teacher resumed instructions.

"Now that we've finished our first quick lessons, and I've gotten to know more about you, how about we end the first swimming class in style? I pick people by random, and you guys start racing each other. Two laps to a finish."

Putting his hand on top of his teal-haired head, he eyed the students intently.

"No need to be shy, boys and girls. Show us that skill and what you're made of!"

He continued his intent gaze at the student groups before suddenly raising his hand.

"Alright, let's kick this off with a battle between a second year and a third year! You're up, man!"

He pointed straight at a male wearing blue trunks. It was much to the delight of some girls, who squealed when they found out who's going to put on a show.

Seeing his cue, Reijy Ishida shrugged. Despite his thin frame, he trotted forward with an air of confidence. His gray hair nicely framed his delicate face that showed smugness. With features of a typical pretty boy, the heir to the Ishida Conglomerate looked right at home in this environment.

"Who would I embarrass this time, Mr. Himeji?"

After addressing his teacher, he spread his arms out magnificently. He confidently walked forward, carrying himself in what most people would think to be a dignified manner to much applause.

Ignoring his taunting, Mr. Himeji continued looking for the one he would face-off against.

"As for his opponent..."

Mr. Himeji pointed at an unassuming boy from among the red-wearing second years.

"You're up..." he looked at his class records before shouting the name of the boy out. "Akira Daimonji!"

Amagi noticed the boy timidly stepping forward at the call of his teacher. She felt sorry for the guy, having known Daimonji to be a mediocre to decent athlete at best. Everyone knew him for a couple of things, but sports is not one of them, unfortunately. The race has been decided as early as now.

It went as well as she, and probably most others, expected.

Triumphantly emerging from the pool the victor, Ishida rose and continued to bask in his glory much to the joy of some fangirls from the two sections.

"Nice game, both of you. Looks like you have one hell of a fanclub too... Ishida, right?"

After leading the students into a round of applause for the two competitors, Mr. Himeji turned back to his class. Now, he focused his attention on the girls and quickly pointed at a student.

"Let's have one round for the girls starting with you."

He pointed at someone, and after squinting and taking a look at the name written on the person's school swimsuit, he called her name out. "Amagi!"

Amagi nearly stepped back at the motion by her teacher.

"Wow! Go get them, girl!"

"Good luck!"

Hearing the words of encouragement from her classmates and the subsequent whispering and cheering from the boys' side, most notably Shiki's loud voice, removed all jitters Amagi had. Stepping forward, she gave a bow and awaited her opponent.

"Hmmm..." murmured Mr. Himeji, eyebrows furled.

He took time looking for the opponent before pointing at someone. "How about someone from the same class? You!"

The students fell silent as they all scrambled to look at who the teacher picked.

Strutting forward in a navy blue swimsuit like Amagi was Sayaka Uehara.

As she separated herself from the rest of the group, the boys went wild in a wave of support similar to what they gave Amagi. Even the girls started cheering almost concurrently.

"I'll do my best," said the black-haired girl with a smile.

She is the one Arata was looking for that night...

Keeping their thoughts to herself, Amagi went to her position in front of the pool, carefully eyeing this transfer student. What coincidence that she got matched up with the one student in this room that she's the most curious about.

"Let's have a good match."

The transfer student offered her hand. Amagi found her expression hard to read. It must be her expression, but something behind that smile reminded Amagi of a familiar friend, one that she wished was here today.

"Yes!"

Amagi responded whilst shaking the hand.

"Looks like we have good sports here, and both seem quite popular too," mentioned Mr. Himeji. "Alright, ladies, get ready."

Keeping up with the upbeat mood, he stood in his position as he prepared the go signal.

"Go!"

At the signal, Amagi kicked herself off the edge and shot straight into the pool.

Being a member of the school's swimming club for a year already, Amagi dived in with full assurance in her abilities. She pushed on with no hesitation.

She just wanted to win.

She knew that in the end, this little race does not matter. It's not like she's competing for the last spot on the team like she did a few months ago.

Winning or losing here does not matter in the slightest, and falling short here will not be as painful as it was a few months ago.

The many seconds passed quickly with those thoughts occupying her mind, and in what to her felt like a little over three seconds, Amagi found herself at the other end of the pool. Hitting that point, she gracefully spun and rested her legs against the wall, well on her way to starting her trip back.

Just as she prepared to head for the second half of the race, she glanced to her left. At seemingly the exact same time she made it to the halfway mark, her opponent did so as well.

Their eyes met, and as those rather indifferent eyes met Amagi's, the brunette felt a fire lit inside her.

She really cannot lose here.

She won't accept a loss here.

It may be a random activity with no bearing in the end, but she felt as if her getting paired with the one person she's wary about was fate and that she had to grab that fate with her hand.

Her arm touched the other corner of the pool to much cheering, and as she surfaced, she noticed her opponent do the same. With her opponent coming a full second too late, Amagi knew she had won.

She felt a wave of relief the same instant she emerged from the pool to the cheers of the other students. She turned to her opponent, expecting one of many possible expressions.

Nothing. She noticed that her opponent's expression never changed, and those eyes looked as stoic as they did moments ago. No change in expression, no signs of frustration, and no signs of emotional vulnerability.

Amagi saw none, a rarity for someone who considered herself decent at reading people.

As if hearing her thoughts, the black-haired student suddenly put on a smile and extended her hand to Amagi for the second time this day.

"Nice one. That was fun. Amagi, right?"

Amagi hesitated at the first sight of the extended hand.

I cannot read her. She's just like...

Putting on her smile, she took her transfer classmate's hand and shook it earnestly. "Same."

"And there we go! What a nice way to end our day with some nice gestures from two blooming flowers of class 2-C. Now, get changed and prepare for your next class. Till next week, everyone!"

With those closing remarks, Mr. Himeji declared the class finished for the day.

2

Far from the commotion that he would have gotten at school, Kazuki found noise from other sources, namely the medical staff and patients that crowded the hospital's canteen. At least he had the fragrance of freshly prepared food here.

He had just been discharged, but it was nearing noon, so Hikari and he had just decided to have lunch here.

"Hmmm..."

Giving a glance at his little sister, he noticed her busily looking for empty seats. It was nearing peak hours for the canteen, and good seats have become hard to come by.

"Ah, there!"

She pointed at a couch table beside the canteen's window. It was a typical table with two couches that can seat four people.

Seeing as there are few more seats available, most of them being tables with monoblock chairs that are not nearly as comfortable as a couch, the siblings hurried and made their way to the table. However, just as they approached it, they did so at the same time with another figure.

The two parties that reached the table at the same time look at each other, and Hikari quickly broke the silence.

"Oh, it's you, Dr. Kagami! Thanks for the cards again!"

The surprising turn of events likely caught the doctor off-guard, and he nearly spilled one of the two bowls of noodles and the glass of water he had on his tray. With no free hand, he just gave Hikari a warm smile.

"No problem, Hikari. It's a gift from me to you two." Still holding onto the tray, he glanced at the table, making his intentions clear. "You two looking for a table? How about we share?"

"Yeah!"

Hikari agreed without a second thought, and Dr. Kagami placed his tray on the table. The moment the three of them sat down in front of the table, the purple-haired doctor began loudly sipping his broth as the Arata siblings watched on.

"Say, why did you give us those raffle cards, Dr. Kagami? I thought you're a fan of Yuki-tan. Although..." Hikari puffed her cheeks out. "I still don't like how you look down on her singing. You know, she gives it her all for the fans, and she's really someone with an angelic voice! Don't ever call that auto-tune."

Dr. Kagami laughed at the Arata sister's rambling. "Sorry. I never meant to look down on her when I said she uses auto-tune."

"I am a fan of hers, really. to the point that I think I know more than the typical fan. But I have some things to attend to. You know, when you grow up someday, reality will come biting. You just won't have the time for these events anymore."

Dr. Kagami followed that with a longing look.

"That's why you should enjoy your youth while you can. Value your friends, treasure your time spent with them, and while it may be weird for a top member of hospital staff to say this, do not let work and studies consume you."

Sound advice, and Kazuki was partly surprised to hear it from him out of all people. Suddenly, he felt his opinion of the doctor improving, if by a bit.

It also partially cleared his suspicion of the doctor just handing out these supposedly exclusive items for the Yuki-tan event.

Perhaps he just cares about us, but why?

"I won't," happily answered Hikari while shaking her head. "When I grow up, I will be the best idol that will make Big Bro proud. Make sure to wait for it!"

"Oh, I'll root for you," chuckled the doctor. "And more importantly, all of what I said goes for you as well, Kazuki Arata."

"You don't have to worry about it," answered Kazuki in the most neutral tone he can. "Thanks, Doc."

"You sure about that? Every time I see you, you seem so gloomy and all."

"It's just the hair... and the facial expressions. Don't mind it too much. Just my style," replied Kazuki to the doctor's concerned question. He even smiled a bit to show that he's fine.

When the doctor took another sip of his noodle soup, Hikari sprang up.

"Ah, I almost forgot. I gotta get some food for us before the lines get long!"

Kazuki turned to stand as well, but he found himself being stopped by his sister.

"Oh no, you stay there, Big Bro. Better take it easy now and get some bonding time with the doctor. I know your favorite anyway. Grilled pork ramen, extra hard noodles, extra sidings, and spice level five. Plus, I'll add on some coffee jelly and vanilla ice cream."

Without giving him a chance for another reply, Hikari bopped her way to the ordering counter in the distance.

Now busy eating his food, Dr. Kagami sneaked a glance at Kazuki before talking. "She really knows you well. She's super responsible, too."

Kazuki shrugged. "Yeah. Well, we always eat here whenever she has to drop by for a medical checkup. It's not like I always order the same food, geez."

"You're lucky to have someone like her. Treasure the time you have with her."

Kazuki looked at the smiling face of the doctor.

He knew that Dr. Kagami had the tendency to go off-tangent and say weird things, but isn't this a bit too sudden and dramatic?

"Yeah, I do. I really do. W-wait, what brought this about, anyway?" asked Kazuki, who tried to make his tone sound as innocent as possible.

"Hahaha," laughed Dr. Kagami. "Of course you do. Just saying that it's not too early to talk about the realities of life, especially at your age. It could all be gone in a flash."

Finishing up his noodles, he slammed his first bowl down before shoving it to the side. "Soooo good."

He began wiping his mouth with a piece of tissue when he resumed after his side comment.

"So, now that we're alone..." he whispered. "You asked Amagi out already?"

"W-what brought this about?"

"She has been telling me some things. Well, if it's not her, and you intend to break her heart... perhaps there is another girl you have your eyes on?"

Kazuki's mouth dropped open.

"Being a longtime doctor, I cannot help but stress it to you. Enjoy life to the fullest while you still can. Grab the chance before it's too late. Just imagine it. In the far future, I will be attending Mr. and Mrs. Arata's wedding as a special guest of honor. Isn't that future awesome?"

Kazuki felt a sweat drop as the doctor continued passionately.

"I haven't thought of those, actually."

"It's still too early for you, huh?" the doctor conceded.

Kazuki can only reply with a nod.

"Treasure all those friends and even potential friends you have yet to meet. You might not admit it, but it is those people who would be there during your times of need. Maybe you can even be the light to someone who might need it, whether he admits it or not."

"Are you speaking from experience?" asked Kazuki. His tone had a bit of a snarky air to it, but he was half certain that the doctor would not take offense to that.

The talk also opened up a hidden sense of curiosity he had regarding the eccentric doctor.

"Of course I am. As for which side of the equation I was in back then, I would leave that to your imagination."

"I expected nothing less for an answer from you."

"Once you enter the medical field, your perspective changes. All of a sudden, you find yourself having grown old without realizing it, and those days that you wasted all come haunting you. Then again, do you have any intention of pursuing the medical fields?"

Kazuki shook his head in reply.

"Good. You need not worry about those as much. Still, I have seen so many lives lost prematurely, and they tore away at many people. My point is to just make the most out of your life while you still can."

Kazuki started feeling uncomfortable with the way the conversation is taking. He was used to the doctor's habit of talking about sentimental topics at the worst timings, but this has got to be a new level. 

Before, he stuck to pseudo-philosophical ramblings while talking to Hikari about idols and the hottest trends in her middle school.

"Have you ever thought of a world where people can overcome death?" asked the doctor.

What has gotten into him?

Kazuki decided to tuck those thoughts away as he shook his head. "What do you mean?"

"You know that the human body is composed of cells that constantly go through wear and tear. They die and replace themselves, but even they are no match against time. I think that as doctors and pharmacists, it is of utmost importance that we find the way to overcome that fate."

"Hmmm, living forever, huh? I wouldn't want it."

"And why would that be?" asked the doctor, rubbing his hair in surprise.

"I just don't think that it will be fun. I may not seem like it, but I find thrills in life, and part of those is the challenge of exploring the most out of the limited life you have here. I mean, there are risks that I would rather not have in the first place, but not being able to die even through those long years doesn't seem fun."

Feeling more confident, he gave the doctor a smile as he broke off from his disinterested tone. "I never quite understood those movie or novel villains who longed for immortality myself."

The doctor was silent for a while before giving his response with a nod. The serious expression on his face never changed as he seemed to be deep in thought.

"That's a cool perspective."

"Nah, feel free to ignore what this useless guy says," chuckled Kazuki while pointing a thumb at himself. "You're the doctor, and I think I know how you feel. It might not be for everyone, but you seem to be the one who wants the best for his patients."

Dr. Kagami's serious expression slowly transformed into a kind smile.

"Thank you for understanding. Yes, it is still my dream to find a way for the human race as a whole to take the next step. Maybe medicine and science holds the answer to humanity's next evolution."

It was not the most casual or easiest conversation, but Kazuki felt happy to be able to share part of him to someone else. It felt like a relief, and he kept that satisfied feeling as he waved to Hikari, who he spotted at the distance with a tray full of food bowls.

Soon, it will be her time to talk to the doctor about their interests before the time to go home.

11