24: Meeting the elf king
7.9k 16 191
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"You are now in the presence of His Majesty, King Mythos Elvenheim!"

As royal protocol demanded we all bowed before the king. When we raised our heads I managed to get a good look at him. A refined man wearing a long, white and gold coat with an ocean-blue interior, as well as matching pants, gloves, and boots. An extravagant cape mirroring this color motif rests on his right shoulder, bound by a brown belt connected around his torso. He has light, blue-green eyes and long silver hair, which he keeps tied in the back and a rugged silver beard.

"First, allow me to extend my thanks. It is my understanding that you saved my men and slayed the dimensional monster. Please tell me, what is a strange group such as yours doing in the elven lands?"

Okay. I can't make this too obvious, but there are too many things wrong with this place. Let's see if I can make him spill the beans.

"Your Majesty, we are a group of scientists. We secluded ourselves from the world in order to focus solely on studying magic. The defeat of that monster is the result of our research. But as a result of our seclusion, we lost track of what happened in the world. We know that elves live long lives, so we just wanted to visit an old friend."

"Hmm. I understand."

For real? You're just gonna accept my story like that? Well that does work in my advantage.

"Pardon me asking, but if I may ask, what happened to the Eternal Tree? It should have been here."

"Ah. That happened 7 years ago. The Eternal Tree, as you know has a vast amount of mana. Since the dimensional monsters we required more powerful tools to defend ourselves. So with a large project we cut down the tree. We used it's mana to create new powerful weapons and build walls. This palace was built in it's place."

Strike number 1. The Eternal Tree is supposed to be the pride and joy of the elves. They do trim down branches, but they never cut down trees unless the tree is at the end of its life. They value nature too much. So now you're telling me you cut it down? I'm not buying it.

"Ladies, you said you came to see a friend. Who exactly are you referring to?"

Bingo. This discussion is going towards the direction I want. When we came here there was something weird. I saw many high elves, but not a single dark elf. What's up with that? 

"Well, our friend happens to be a dark elf, but I didn't see a single one in this town."

*Tsk*

The king clicked his tongue. It seemed he didn't like what I just said.

"In that case your memory is bad. This is Elvenheim, the capital of the high elves. If you are looking for the dark elves you need to head west from here towards Whisperwind Forest."

"Huh? But aren't the high elves and dark elves part of the same race?"

"Don't insult us. Those dark elves are impure. Nothing more than trash."

Strike number 2. Long ago when I came to this forest dark elves and high elves lived in harmony together with one another. Everything this guy is telling me doesn't add up. Something happened in this place. 

"Your Majesty, then might you be so kind as to at least let us take some water from the holy elven spring for our research?"

"Absolutely not!"

He raised his voice. The elven spring water is the place that has the highest amount of mana in the elven lands. The mana is actually so pure that just bathing in it refreshes your body and calms the mind. Drinking it straight up restores all your mana reserves. Normally elves pay off all their debts. Even if it involves the holy elven spring. But this guy refused us right off the bat. That's strike 3. 

"I will not take action against you since you helped us. But it's best if you would leave the town. There might be a non-aggression treaty, but we don't take well to your kind."

"Then, won't you please let us at least spend the night here and get some rest? We are all pretty tired."

"Hmm… very well. I will grant you that much. You will be given guest rooms, but your rooms will be guarded. If you need anything you will tell the guard near your rooms. And you must leave first thing in the morning."

"Thank you, Your Majesty."

I don't like his attitude at all. He clapped his hands and a few guards came to escort us. I said I have no obligation to get myself involved with the situation here. I don't care normally. It's their business and it has nothing to do with me. But I can't help wondering, how the hell did this guy become king? The fact that he doesn't want us to leave our rooms is another suspicious thing.

Once we were in our room, Nelia couldn't help being restless.

"Lady Yurishia, will you finally tell me what was the point of all that? I don't get it. We didn't get a new slave for you and I doubt we will."

"Nelia, was that guy always the king of elves?"

"From what I know yes."

"That's incorrect. Nelia, I'm going to take a stroll."

"You can't! What about the guards?"

I manifested my invisibility cloak in my hand. 

"They won't find me. You just open the door and ask for some food. I'll walk out then."

"But why? What are you looking for?"

There's only one question that lies in my head right now. And I feel like I have to know the answer no matter what. And that question is: what happened to Lumi-chan? The actual queen of elves. The mother of all elves.

191