61: Nelia and… the ghost?
3.8k 8 103
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After my nap, Lumi-chan woke me up and it was finally time for my date with Nelia. The final date. 

Because it was the final day, the sounds of clanking wine glasses reverberated all over the streets, and musicians and acrobats competed over their skills.

In the marketplace, merchants had proudly displayed their wares and were busy calling out customers. They all wanted to sell as many goods as they could before the end.

Just for this day, nobles who normally didn’t go out to the city to shop – they normally made servants buy things for them or called merchants to their homes – were also busy browsing the displayed wares mixed with the common people. They really are no different from the rest after all.

"So, Nelia is there something you want to do?"

"Yeah. There is something. Look over there."

She pointed at a stall that had various silk fabrics. And she picked an unusual scarf. 

"Oh, you have an excellent eye. That fabric is amongst the finest."

The stall keeper kept praising the scarf Nelia chose. But she wasn't finished.

"Mind if I borrow this?"

A needle and string? What's she up to?

She then started to sow a peculiar drawing on the scarf. She created a miniature dragon. It felt so alive as if it was ready to jump out of the scarf.

"Sewing is a hobby I always had."

An hour passed and Nelia's masterpiece was done.

"Nelia, it's beautiful."

"I'm glad you like it. I made it for you. Hey, shopkeep, how much for this?"

"Oh, after seeing such rare talent… take it. It's on me. Watching you work was my payment."

Nelia gave the shopkeeper a bright smile and then handed the scarf to me. 

"Thanks Nelia, I'll treasure this."

"Hehe. That makes me happy."

"Shall we keep going?"

"Umu!"

We continued to make our way through the busy crowd. But after walking for a while I turned my head towards Nelia and… she was pale as a ghost. It was like something shocked her.

"No… way… it can't be…."

"Nelia, are you okay?"

"Lady Yurishia, please excuse me for a moment!"

What the… Nelia dashed like a maniac. What the hell just happened?

-------

Impossible. It's simply not possible! But I would never forget that figure. That was Liz. That definitely was my childhood friend, Liz. I don't understand. My spiders confirmed she was dead. Yet even after all these years there is no way I would mistake her. 

Even if someone would bear a similarity, she looked exactly the same. Was is some sort of illusion magic? 

"Nelia."

That voice…. it's definitely her! I ran through the crowd. I had to make sure. How long did I send looking for her? I lost track. 

I couldn't have just imagined it. I searched each stall, entered each shop, but I couldn't find her. What's going on? Am I losing my mind? 

"Nelia?"

As I turned around….

"Lady Yurishia?"

"Hey, what's up? You don't look good. Why did you ditch me?"

I could have forced an order on her to come back, but this seemed pretty important, so I let her have her way.

"I… I'm sorry. It's just I thought I saw someone I knew. Someone… that I thought was dead."

Nelia told me what happened. Her friend, Liz. Hmm… now that's weird.

"Nelia, in case you didn't know, there is no such thing as true resurrection magic. A person once dead can be revived, but only during the first 10 seconds after death. Any more than that and you're dead for good. There is necromancy, but that brings back only the body in a zombie form. The soul can't be brought back. That is the domain of a God."

"Yeah. You're right. I guess I am just too tired. It must have been my imagination after all. Sorry. I… ruined your day." 

"It's okay. There's still one thing we can do."

I grabbed Nelia's hand and teleported us on the rooftop of a high building.

"Eh? What are we doing here?"

"From here, we can see the whole festival. And since it's pretty much approaching the end…"

The light grew dim. The sun was going down, sinking into the horizon. Even the most beautiful days had to end.

“…”

In its place, twin moons rose alongside a thin purple mist. The sky was full of stars—cold, sharp pinpoints of light.

The town was painted in black, so quiet it seemed everyone

was holding their breath. The lights weren't turned on. 

“Look, Nelia, it’s starting!”

One.

Two.

Three.

Four.

Five.

Finally, too many to count. Lanterns. The little lanterns glittered like stars reflected in a river. Through the darkened town they shone, blinking, wavering, shining.

Finally, the warm red lights began floating into the sky like fireflies. Like snow falling in reverse, they drifted, danced up to the heavens.

“Sky lanterns?”

“Yes. I thought they would be beautiful from here. I thought you might like it."

“…I see. It's breath taking. It's… beautiful. Lady Yurishia… thank you."

"Feeling better now?"

"Yes. I've calmed myself."

"Nelia, remember. You're my property. And it's my duty to ensure that you can give your all for me. If something is bothering you, don't hesitate to tell me. As long as it's reasonable I will always listen if you have a request."

"Lady Yurishia~... I love you!"

"Fufu. I guess I love you too. Around you girls… I start to feel that the world ain't so bad. Keep doing your best to serve me, from now on, okay?"

"Yes!"

And with that, the festival was over. Tomorrow… it's back to normal. I wonder what awaits us from here on?

103