Chapter Two
95 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The feeling of cold air grazing my cheek made me shiver as I walked down the pathway, after I stopped I looked up at the large gravestone that was covered in exquisite carvings and the names of the most important people in my life. Hot tears trailed down my face as I reached out and touched the stone, I gripped it tight and bit my lip to hold back my sobs as my shoulders shook. It took me a while to gather my bearings and I sniffed as I stopped down and placed a paper bag next to me.

I took out two small glass vases from it and set them at the base of the gravestone before taking out two bouquets of flowers and putting them in the vases, I uncapped the bottle of water and filled the vases, and put the bottle into the bag. I took out two wooden trays and placed them in between the two vases and then took out my parent's favorite fruits and snacks and placed them onto the trays. After setting it up I took out two glasses and a bottle of wine, I set down the glasses and opened the wine, filling the glasses. I took out another glass and filled myself a glass and set it aside, looking through the bag I pulled out an incense bowl and a few incense sticks and lit them, I paused for a while and then blew them out before setting them in the container.

Taking the glass I had poured for myself I sat down in front of the grave and tossed back the glass, when I was done I wiped my mouth and stared at the grave a little before pouring myself another glass and downing it just the same. I couldn't find anything to say as I looked at the grave so I just sat there quietly and finished the bottle of wine, when I was done I bowed to the grave and then packed up the garbage before returning to the car.

I could only stare out the window in silence as the car returned home, before getting out of the car I fixed myself up as best as I could and wore my shades. The butler greeted me as the door opened with his usual gentle smile but the usual comfort I felt looking at it was gone, instead, I wondered how someone so sinister could wear such a gentle smile. I bit back the disgust and the words that were threatening to spill from my mouth as I gripped my hand into a fist.

I let him take my coat and headed to the stairs as I spoke "call all the workers to my father's office, today I will sort out the things that happened over the last month." I glanced at him, looking at his widened eyes with ridicule swimming in my own that were hidden behind my shades, I knew he would try to protest but I cut him off swiftly. "I don't remember asking for your opinion on the matter, just do as you're told, Butler Yin."

The butler lowered his head and answered in ascent, I watched him for a moment before turning around and going up the stairs, as I entered the office I took a deep breath to reign in my feelings and then went to sit behind my father's desk. I picked up the office phone and pressed a number, putting the phone to my ear as I waited for it to connect.

"H-hello, who's this?" The horse and exhausted voice that came through made me smile sadly.

"Hell secretary Min, it's me Xiao Yen-Li, it's been a while since we spoke, hasn't it?"

For a while, I didn't hear an answer from the other side but waited until the man spoke "Oh, young master, yes it's been a while since..., so how have you been, it sounds like you're doing better."

 I hummed before replying to him "yes I feel better, I even felt good enough to go see them today."

The man's voice sounded brighter when he replied again "that's so good to hear, I'm happy to know you were able to get out of bed again, you even made it out of the house. I feel better knowing that you're okay now, young master."

I listened to his excited smile and couldn't help but grin "well the reason I called you today is that I needed your help. Since I wasn't feeling well for a while, I had lost grasp of the things that happened in the mansion over the last month, and since I want to deal with it and needed help I could only think of you."

After I said that there was a short pause before it sounded as if he had started rushing around, there was a jingle of the key and I heard his voice again. "Give me fifteen-minutes, young master, I'll be right over."

I smiled and hung up the phone, sitting back in the chair as  I waited for him, and just like that fifteen-minutes later on the dot he walked into the office and looked at me with a smile on his face. The butler walked in behind him and I gave a quick glance at the man who now looked as if he was preparing to face an enemy. A group of people walked in behind him and I looked them over, it was easy for me to remember them because each of these people had stabbed me in the back in one way or the other.

As they entered I sat up and waited for secretary Min to set up his things. I gave the people in the room a stern look as I spoke with a firm tone. "It seems many things have happened over the last month while I wasn't well, I want to know about every single last incident down to the T. The people that visited, who of those were let into the mansion without my permission, how long had they stayed. What they did in the time they were here, where they went in the mansion, and if they did what had they taken from this place when they left. Even if you think it's insignificant and not worth mentioning I want to know about it. 

I want to know if any of them did anything to the workers or if any of you were offered anything if you or they had gone beyond your means. Lastly, I want to see all the bills, documentation, and transaction notes for every cent that had been spent in this place, I want all the statements for the bank accounts used for the mansion and those for the personal bank accounts of me and my parents. You may begin."

 

 

 

 

6