Chapter 277: Mana Practice
19 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Living Room

 

~Two Hours Later~

 

Reiki was sitting in the middle of the couch as he was simultaneously doing mana string with both his hands. He managed to create two small mana circles floating above both of his palms and tried to slowly increase the size. Both the mana circles let out a small blue spark and quickly vanished, Reiki let out a long sigh and thought. That was, attempt number two hundred and three… He glanced toward the coffee table that had a large plate of battered fried fish that was next to a mountain of fries.

 

Reiki used his bare hands to pick up a piece of fried fish, dipped it into the bowl of tartar sauce that was on top of the pile of fish, and ate it in one go. He continued his train of thought. Just a few more attempts. He turned his head to the side and stared in the direction of the door leading outside, Reiki stood up from the couch as he made his way toward the front door. From the other side he heard the sound of a girl's voice, she said. “Shiro, are there any leftovers from Reiki's cooking?”

 

Reiki thought. Yuki. He placed his hand on the doorknob and turned it as the sound of Shiro’s voice came from the outside. Shiro said. “Huh? The doorknob just moved.” Reiki pulled the door toward him as he revealed himself to Yuki, Mio, and Shiro outside. He said. “Are you three hungry?” Shiro had a hint of surprise in her eyes, she said. “Onii-chan?” Reiki poked the tip of his little sister’s nose and said. “Same one.” Yuki had excitement all over her expression, she said. “Reiki, can you make us a snack?” Mio slowly exhaled and said. “Yuki, can you at least wait until we’re inside?”

 

Reiki made way for them, he said. “I think Mio has a point, let’s have this conversation in the living room.” The three girls made their way inside as Reiki closed the door and locked it. Reiki walked past Yuki and Mio untying their shoelaces while Shiro made her way to the shoe compartment and slid it open. Reiki made his way to the living room and said. “If you three want, I have some cold fish and chips on the coffee table.” Yuki’s brows furrowed in confusion, she said. “Fish and potato chips?”

 

Shiro took out two pairs of white indoor slippers and placed them on the floor near her friend's shoes they took off. Mio neatly placed her leather shoes to the side, she put on the pair of indoor slippers and said. “It’s fish and french fries.” Shiro closed the shoe compartment and quickly took off her leather shoes, she said. “I’ll change into something else, meanwhile you two can ask anything you want from Onii-chan.” She put on a pair of white indoor slippers while the confusion on Yuki’s expression became more apparent. Yuki said. “Then why isn’t it called fish and french fries instead?”

 

She put on the indoor slippers as the three of them made their way to the living room. Mio said. “It’s from England.” Yuki’s eyes were glued to the two plates on the coffee table while Reiki’s voice came toward the direction of the kitchen. He said. “You three can help yourselves, I’m just getting some drinks.” Yuki and Shiro quickly made their way to the couch as they sat down while staring at the food. Mio’s mouth formed into a slight smile as she went after her friends and sat down beside Yuki as the couch slightly bounced.

 

Reiki was carrying a pitcher of water along with a tray with three empty glasses. He saw the three eating on the couch while Shiro was browsing through the channels, made his way to the couch, and placed the pitcher on the coffee table. Reiki said. “Anyone want juice? Or are you three fine with water?” He pinched the tray in his armpit while Yuki was in the middle of chewing as she shook her head sideways and gulped down a mouthful of food, she said. “Is there any soda in the fridge?” Mio kept her gaze on the TV as she sneakily pinched her friend’s forearm which made Yuki flinch.

 

Yuki pulled her arm away from Mio as she turned her head to face her and said. “Mio, that hurts you know!” Mio gave her an innocent clueless look as she slightly tilted her head which made Reiki let out a chuckle. He said. “Sorry, there’s no soda. Onee-chan doesn’t like putting bottles in the fridge because Shiro might drink them when no one’s looking.” Yuki and Mio had odd looks on their faces as they turned to the side to stare at Shiro who was looking to the right to avoid making eye contact.

 

Reiki continued. “Shiro, change into something more comfortable.” Shiro quickly stood up from the couch and said. “Yes, Onii-chan.” She dashed toward the staircase under her two friends' gaze, Mio and Yuki thought. He gave her an out. Reiki used his thumb to point at the kitchen, he said. “I’ll bring some plates and forks. Want me to reheat the fish and fries one after the other?” Yuki’s eyes shined like stars, she said. “You will-?” Mio didn’t bother her hand from Reiki as she pinched her friend’s forearm which made her let out a hiss of pain.

 

Yuki glared at her and said. “You already used the playing dumb card, now what’s your excuse?” Mio ignored her friend as she moved her gaze onto Reiki. Mio said. “We’re fine with the food as is.” Yuki glanced at Reiki from the corner of her eye, she spoke in a soft tone and said. “Oh sure, speak for yourself.” Reiki pretended he didn’t hear what she said as he did a half-turn and made his way to the kitchen. Mio tried to reach her friend's forearm but stopped when Yuki spoke in a cold tone.

 

Yuki said. “You pinch me again, we're going to play catch outside.” Mio smoothly moved her hand toward the plate of fries and took a couple of them, she said. “No thanks, I’ve seen you and Reiki play catch once.” The two of them heard footsteps coming from the staircase as Shiro came down wearing casual clothes, she said. “Where’s Onii-chan?” Shiro walked toward the couch and sat down while Yuki reached for the plate of fries. Yuki said. “Reiki’s getting a few plates for us.” Shiro took a few fries from the plate while Reiki was carrying a few medium to small ceramic plates that had forks on top of them as he made his way to the couch.

 

He slightly pushed the plate of food to make space on the coffee table and neatly laid out the three plates with a fork on top of each plate. Yuki quickly picked up the plate and used the fork to stab a large piece of battered fish from the plate, she said. “Reiki, why is the food cold?” Mio and Shiro used the fork to place a piece of battered fish onto their plates. Yuki used her fork to cut off a bite-size piece while Reiki leaned on the backrest of the couch, he said. “Oh, I made it for me.”

 

The three girls froze when they heard what he said while Reiki let out a laugh and continued. “It’s fine, this is what’s left after I ate my fill. They got cold when I was practicing mana control.” Yuki chewed a couple of times and gulped down the food in her mouth, she said. “You already ate your fill?” The three girls moved their gaze onto the large pile of fries and battered fried fish. Yuki turned her head to face her friend as Shiro gave her a nod as a reply.

 

Mio moved her gaze onto Reiki as she gave him an odd look, she said. “How much did you make?” Reiki smiled at her and said. “A lot, if it’s not enough just have Shiro knock on my door. I’ll be in my room.” Yuki quickly finished the fish on her plate while Shiro placed her fork on the plate she was holding. Shiro said. “Onii-chan, thanks for the food.” Reiki walked to the front of the couch as he patted the top of his little sister's head.

 

He said. “Anytime.” He made his way to the staircase while Yuki stabbed a piece of fish with her fork and generously dipped it in the tartar sauce. Yuki said. “Thanks, Reiki.” Mio used her fork to cut a piece of fish on her plate, she said. “Well put the dishes in the sink so you can just wash them afterward.” Reiki started to walk up the stairs and said. “Thank you.” While walking up the steps he started making mana circles with his left hand and placed his right hand in his pocket.

 

He thought. I can make a circle with my right hand without trying… I need to practice more with my left. Reiki reached the top of the stairs and started walking toward his room while making mana strings with his left hand, he continued his train of thought. I’m craving pasta for dinner. He reached the door to his room, placed his hand on the doorknob, and opened it. Reiki closed the door on his way inside as the tied-up curtain was letting in sunlight, he made his way to the bed and lay down on it with his feet dangling from the side.

 

The white indoor slippers he was wearing slowly slid off from his feet as he stared at the ceiling while continuously doing mana string with his left hand without looking at it. Reiki thought. I forgot to refill the tartar sauce for them…

 

________________________________________________________________________________

Living Room

 

Yuki and Mio were sitting on the couch as they ate while watching TV. Yuki used her fork to cut off a bite-size fish from the plate she was holding, she said. “How does it feel?” She ate the piece of fish while Mio reached out to grab a couple of fries. Mio had a hint of confusion on her face, she said. “What?” Yuki gulped down a mouthful of food, she turned her head to face her friend and said. “Eating on a couch while watching TV, knowing your parents the most rebellious thing you’ve done is staying up past curfew.”

 

She used her fork to cut another piece of fish on her plate while Mio glanced at her friend who made herself comfortable on the couch by leaning on the backrest. Mio moved her glance onto the plate she was holding with the entire battered fish already being cut into bite-size pieces, she said. “... It’s… Weird… Having to hold your plate while eating…” She ate the two fries in her hand and watched the show premiering on the flatscreen. Yuki ate another bite of fish on her fork, she thought. Shiro’s taking a while… Did she run out of stamina?...

 

Shiro made her way to the living room as she was holding onto a tray with three bowls of shiru-wan filled with tartar sauce, she said. “Sorry for the wait, the tub of white sauce was heavier than it looked.” She placed the three bowls onto the coffee table as Yuki and Mio picked up a bowl and placed them on their plates. Mio used her fork to stab a bite-size piece of fish on the plate she was holding, she said. “Oh, so taking it out and putting the tub back in the fridge was the most time-consuming?”

 

Shiro placed the tray on the empty space on the coffee table as she sat down on the couch and shook her head sideways. She said. “No, it was too heavy so I left it on the countertop.” Yuki let out a chuckle as she generously dipped a large piece of battered fish into the tartar sauce, she said. “I’m guessing you used up most of your strength from your run up the stairs.” Shiro placed the bowl of sauce onto her plate and used her fork to cut the battered fish into small pieces.

 

From the corner of Yuki’s eye, she saw the panda on the t-shirt Shiro was wearing as she ate a large piece of battered fish covered in tartar sauce. Yuki while chewing, she turned her head to stare at the blazer Mio was wearing and looked down to see she was wearing the same uniform. Yuki gulped down a mouthful of food and said. “What’s your casual wear?” Mio was in the middle of dipping a fry into her bowl of sauce with a raised brow, she said. “What?” Shiro slightly leaned forward as her gaze was on her friend.

 

Shiro said. “I wanna know too.” Yuki used her fork to cut a large piece of battered fish on her plate, she said. “What do you wear at home?” Mio had a look of understanding on her face, she said. “... Loose pants and a t-shirt…” Yuki had a hint of doubt in her eyes, she said. “And the design on your shirt is?” Mio stole a glance at Shiro and said. “I also have an animal printed on the front of the shirt.” Shiro had an innocent expression on her face, she said. “Which animal?”

 

Mio let go of the fry as it was stuck in the bowl of sauce, she thought for a moment and said. “... Rabbit?...” Yuki’s mouth curled into a mischievous cat-like smile as she dipped a large piece of battered fish into the tartar sauce, she said. “What breed of rabbit-?” Before she could finish her sentence Mio interrupted her and said. “Shiro, there’s a show you wanted to watch with us, right?” Shiro’s eyes slightly widened as she reached for the remote on the coffee table, she said. “Mio, thanks for reminding me.”

 

Yuki ate the large piece of battered fish stabbed on her fork as her mouth was still in a cat-like smile, she thought. I guess this is enough teasing for the day. Her mouth turned back into a normal smile, she said. “Shiro, this better be a real show. Not like last time when we watched a documentary about red pandas.” Shiro was flipping through the channel as she slightly flinched, she said. “I-It’s a real show this time.” Mio picked up the french fry in the bowl of tartar sauce, she said. “I liked the documentary.”

 

Yuki rolled her eyes and said. “It was a thirty-minute recording of red pandas in the wild with a voice reading a script.” Mio ate the fry that was dipped in the sauce while Shiro slightly increased the volume of the TV. Mio gulped and said. “It was still educational, I thought they were relatives to giant pandas.” Yuki used her fork to stab one of the pieces of battered fish from the pile, she said. “How is a panda in the bear family in the first place?” Shiro placed the remote on the coffee table and said. “It’s starting.”

 

~Three Hours Later~

 

Shiro watched Mio put on her leather shoes while Yuki placed her shoes into her pouch. Yuki took out a pair of sports shoes from the pouch and said. “Shiro, tell Reiki we enjoyed the fish and chips.” Shiro gave her friend a nod, she said. “I will, don’t trip on your run back home.” Yuki pocketed the pouch, sat down on the wooden floor, and started putting her shoes on while Mio smiled at Shiro. Mio said. “I’m guessing Reiki’s going to eat the rest of it?” Shiro had a pondering look on her face as she thought for a moment and said. “Onii-chan, will probably save some for Onee-chan.”

 

The door was unlocked from the outside as the three of them turned their heads toward it. The door swung open revealing Ketsueki, she had a hint of surprise on her face and said. “Yuki, Mio. You two aren’t staying for dinner?” Yuki finished tying her shoes as she stood up and patted some dust from her skirt, she said. “I can’t, one of the rare days my parents have time off from work.” Ketsueki moved her gaze onto Mio who gave her a polite smile. Mio said. “I want to read some books before going to bed today.”

 

Yuki exaggerated a fake cough and said. “Homework.” Mio glared at her friend from the corner of her eye while Yuki ignored it as she cleared her throat. Yuki said. “How about you, Aneki? You have overtime today?” Ketsueki closed the door behind her as she squatted down to untie her sports shoes shoelaces, she shook her head sideways and said. “No, just hang out with Namida and Sachi.” Shiro made her way to the shoe compartment, took out a pair of white indoor slippers, and placed them near her older sister.

 

Ketsueki smiled at her little sister, she said. “Thank you, Shiro. I’m back.” Shiro returned the smile and said. “Welcome back, Onee-chan.” Ketsueki placed a hand on top of her little sister’s head as she slightly ruffled her white hair, she said. “Where’s Reiki?” Yuki used her index finger to point at the ceiling, she said. “He’s in his room doing some mana control.” Shiro tried to playfully slap her older sister’s hand away as Ketsueki easily dodged the hit in time. Ketsueki said. “You three at least forced Reiki to cook you something, right?”

 

Yuki energetically nodded her head and said. “Fish and chips, they were cold but somehow the batter was still crispy. Plus the white sauce was good.” Ketsueki had a hint of confusion on her face, she said. “White sauce?” Mio glanced at her friend and said. “Tartar sauce.” The confusion on Ketsueki’s face vanished while Yuki turned her head to face Mio. Yuki said. “How simple is it to make?” Mio contemplated for a moment and said. “Mayo, lemon juice, sweet pickled relish, and mustard.”

 

Yuki placed her hand in the pocket of her skirt, she said. “I need to add those to the grocery list then.” Ketsueki’s brows furrowed, she moved her gaze onto her little sister and said. “So that’s why the lemon in the fridge keeps disappearing.” Shiro tugged on her older sister’s shirt which made Ketsueki move her gaze onto her. Shiro said. “Onee-chan, why do you keep buying lemons?” Ketsueki placed her index finger on the temple of her head, she said. “Vitamin C helps reduce wrinkles.”

 

Ketsueki glanced at the door from the corner of her eye, she thought. Mio’s chauffeur. Yuki did some light stretches and said. “Mio, your-.” From the other side of the door, someone knocked as Yuki turned her head toward it. Yuki continued. “I spoke too soon.” Mio gave Shiro a small wave and said. “Bye Shiro, I’ll see you at school tomorrow.” Shiro waved back at her, she said. “Bye bye.” Yuki energetically waved at her friend and said. “Later Shiro, tell Reiki I want pork for lunch tomorrow.” Shiro returned the wave, she said. “What about your diet?”

 

Mio placed her hand on the doorknob revealing a man wearing a suit, the man opened his mouth and said. “You-.” He stopped and noticed Mio’s slightly narrowed eyes. The man cleared his throat as he spoke in a slightly awkward tone, he said. “N-Nakamura-san, I’ve come to pick you up.” Yuki let out a chuckle while Mio let out a soft sigh, she said. “Ketsueki nee-san, I’ll take my leave.” Ketsueki let out a suppressed laugh and said. “Thanks for taking care of Shiro in school.” The man stepped to the side to make way for Mio as she made her way to the black car parked in front of the house.

 

Yuki stopped doing the stretches, she said. “Aneki, thanks for letting us stay over.” Ketsueki smiled at her and said. “You two can drop by any time.” Yuki followed Mio out the door as the man quickly gave Ketsueki a bow and gently closed the door. Shiro tugged on her older sister’s shirt which got Ketsueki’s attention, she said. “Shiro, what is it?” Shiro put on her best puppy dog face, she said. “Onee-chan, I want cake for dessert.” Ketsueki let out a chuckle and said. “Sure, it's been taking up room in the fridge for the past few days.”

 

Shiro’s eyes turned into stars while Ketsueki took off her sports shoes and put on a pair of white indoor slippers, with a wave of her hand her sports shoes flew into the shoe compartment as it slid close by itself. The two of them made their way to the living room while Ketsueki’s eyes noticed the two plates on the coffee table, she said. “You three didn’t manage to finish what Reiki made, huh.” Shiro shook her head sideways and said. “No, Onii-chan made a lot.”

 

Ketsueki pointed at the staircase, she said. “Shiro, can you grab me a bowl of tartar sauce while I check up on Reiki?” Shiro had a hint of hesitation on her face, she said. “I have homework to do-.” Before she could finish her older sister interrupted her, Ketsueki said. “I’ll add ice cream to tonight's dessert.” Shiro immediately dashed toward the kitchen while Ketsueki vanished from the living room.

 

________________________________________________________________________________

Second Floor Hallway

 

Ketsueki appeared by the door leading to Reiki’s room, grabbed the doorknob, and gently turned it to peek inside. She saw Reiki sitting on the bed as he let out a deep breath and started doing mana strings with both his hands simultaneously. He made two mana circles at almost at the same interval, moved his hands a bit closer, and made two more. Ketsueki stared at the four floating mana circles in the air, she thought. Impressive mana control. With his left hand, Reiki made one more mana circle as five of them floated in front of him.

 

All of the mana circles instantly dissipated as Reiki let out a long sigh and lazily laid back on the bed.

1