Chapter 14: Probing
897 0 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While the bishoujo walked towards the city Reiki with his back facing Arashi who was still looking at him, the atmosphere between Arashi and him suddenly became quiet like a flip of a switch. The reason why Arashi decided to stay quiet was because she was able to sense a small change in Reiki she didn’t know why but her instincts screamed fear for a brief second but then her instincts went into a grinding halt and made her tense up and subconsciously put her guard up around him.

After a few more seconds of looking towards where the bishoujo went Reiki turned around to face Arashi and replied to continue their conversation. "Why do you say that? Not every beautiful girl has a dark secret to hide."

Arashi observed his expression but couldn't find anything off about him. So she decided to tactfully not ask anything, she reached her hand out to his head to scruffle up Reiki's already unkempt and scraggly hair while replying. "Correct. You should never judge someone based on their appearance alone. You never know they just might have the worst personalities that ultimately ruin their image." As she went halfway to her sentence she removed her hand from his head and nodded with satisfaction as if she was an older sibling giving out crucial advice to the younger sibling.

"Then wouldn't that also apply to you as well then Hageshi-san?." Reiki replied with a straight face and took two steps back.

"Eh?" Arashi had a surprised look written on her entire face. She obviously never expected him to say that right after offering advice and seeing Reiki's straight face after replying she started to panic especially when he took two steps back.

While stuttering Arashi said in a panic but her face still had a calm look on her. "C-Come on Lil Bro I'm different I-I-I'm offering you advice y-you can't just say that in front of somebody's face." As she replied, waiting for Reiki's reply.

He thought to himself. She probably thinks that I'm just joking with her. Is what Reiki thought to himself when he saw her expression. As he continued his train of thought. Fine... Since you want to probe me for information I hope you won't mind getting the short end of the stick. As he decided to put on a serious look and said. "Jokes aside kids... My age would be wary of anyone who approaches them and that goes especially to people who approach them with ulterior motives." He replied blandly while taking two more steps back and casted God's Eye. And Arashi's stats ended up being exposed to him.

NAME Hageshi Arashi
LEVEL 187
RACE Human
CODE NAME Tora
CLASS Boxer
TITLE Half Cultivator
HEALTH 4,700/4,700
MANA 3,000/3,000
AGILITY 178
STRENGTH 132
STAMINA 188
INTELLIGENCE 120


Tora?... How come her code name is tiger? Reiki expressed in his head thankfully over the years he learned how to keep a poker face in his previous life or else a single unnatural reaction might be enough to let Arashi know that Reiki just straight up gave her the short end of the stick right off the bat. And right now Arashi might be the second strongest person he met in this world. 

The first one might be the princess he went with along the way here but standing in on a technicality of things stat-wise Arashi is the strongest his met. But considering one piece of evidence that Reiki can't deny is he wasn't able to see the princess stats so at least being able to prevent him from a piece of information he'd rather not make a decision without anything to compare them both their stats as a measurement.

"Hahaha! Fair point Lil Bro. But jokes aside, I'mma ask you a few questions. A few of them might be a bit personal but not too much so I hope you'll make Onee-san here happy and you'll just cooperate." Arashi said with a mesmerizing laugh not minding that Reiki just took a total of four steps to distance himself from her. Because from her perspective the kid might have potential. But other than that there's nothing special about him.

Reiki could naturally know what Arashi was aiming at, he wanted to just flat out reject her. But right now I could only play along for the time being with that he said. "That depends on what kind of questions?" a straight and simple reply approach but somewhat distant to let her know she needs to tone down on how personal the question is.

Arashi flashed a dazzling smile and she brought her right hand near her face and extended her pointing finger putting it right on top of her lips to think about what type of questions to ask and then with a snap of her right hand she puts her hands behind her and asked. "How old are you Lil Bro?" Arashi asked with a face of victory written all on her face.

Smart question. Reiki thought to himself. Others might think this question is normal. Well it certainly is normal but not to him as he continued his train of thought. She's still able to probe me for information about me without making it obvious. But that only applies for other people if you were to see it just like I do she cornered me into saying my age. If I were to question this question of my own that would imply that I'm hiding something... That or I'm just too suspicious of everyone. Reiki replied. "10 years old." He said plainly and completely monotone. I might as well play along... For now.

With a satisfied smile along with a small nod of approval Arashi pondered for a few seconds and asked. "Who taught you martial arts? Or do you even have a master that teaches you?" She said with a hint of expectation in her body language it was a brief moment but Reiki was able to see it.

"What happened to them? I'm not asking anything personal?" Reiki mused to himself but was still able to reply. "A master?... I guess you can say that I used to have one." After replying there was a hint of nostalgia in his voice so he sounded like he and his former master hadn't met for a few good years.

"Ohh.." Arashi said in disappointment but quickly replaced it with a smile and started to ask questions again. "Final question... How come you can use internal force?" She asked with a serious tone and her smile turned into a plain line. Neither smiling nor frowning anyone can tell that this question was very important to her.

But this time Reiki didn't reply immediately and he put his hand behind his head and started to lightly scratch he thought. Now I've done it. I was hoping no one would be able to tell that it was internal force. At this point at least ten seconds have already passed and he was hoping that she would change topics and let it go but as things were playing out Reiki was able to tell she wouldn't let this slide. He could have easily lied about the first two questions but she wouldn't have cared but this question is where all the chips were played. Meaning it was a gamble where on both sides wants something the other side has but can't while still trying to gauge out the opposing party.

In other words, it was a game of trust but here's the catch. Are you willing to believe the opposing party? Of course, not everyone is willing to take a big risk like this where you have nothing to gain and everything to lose but here's the impasse. Reiki lies and the opposing party might send spies to investigate him and his family. He tells the truth and they'll eventually find out about his skills and stats. He can easily imagine the kind of chaos it can bring once those so-called 'higher-ups' found out about it. He'll never get to see the daylight again.

A total of 30 seconds passed to the people around the two of them. They felt that the day was going by too fast. But to Reiki and Arashi these 30 seconds felt like an eternity now here's what both sides are thinking simultaneously. The truth or a lie, which is it gonna be? Reiki has his arms crossed with his back laying on a tree the entire time looking completely calm about the whole situation while Arashi stood in place not taking her eyes off him for a moment afraid of the possibility of him running off when she least expected it. Just when Arashi was about to break the silence, Reiki suddenly said. "I'll answer your question truthfully." While Arashi hasn't said anything Reiki casted his go-to spell. Flash.

『Flash Has Been Activated. Mana Cost: 500.』

With the sudden interruption, Arashi was stunned for half a second and was about to speak again when Reiki continued on saying. "If you keep quiet about it." With a single flash from where he was laying down resting with his back on a tree, Reiki was currently standing face to face with Arashi in a split second. She was completely caught off guard, she wasn't able to see a trace of a spell being cast or residue after casting the spell, which led her to the misunderstanding that his speed at close-quarter combat was something terrifying. All Reiki was doing right now is staring right into the very depth of Arashi's eyes. 

Surprisingly she broke off his stare and started observing his posture. After casting flash right now his feet were a few inches apart, His shoulder was loose and his hands were just resting beside his body he even looked like he couldn't even bother to stand up straight. But what Arashi observed was the complete opposite from his actions even though he looked completely relaxed she noticed that Reiki's back was straight as it can be despite how relaxed he was. 

Not only that when he stared at her for a few seconds she didn't feel like she was looking at a normal child even though he was shorter than her but when she tried to look at his very soul all she saw was an insurmountable mountain and at the very top of it was a throne with him sitting on it so even if she was the one literally looking down on him. Reiki was just humoring her at the deepest part of his soul. And she didn't question what she just saw from his soul. She already survived multiple battles of life and death and added the fact that this world is were the weak were basically cannon fodder. After dozens of close calls in battles she was more or less able to tell a person from a glance and that goes double for eye contact. Because that's how she thinks what makes a person who they are.

Arashi was able to look straight at Reiki's face but with a small problem. She felt something... Different even though she was the one looking down on him she just couldn't put her hand on it. It wasn't just his soul that was wrong, there was something else. If she could describe it properly it would be something like a shadow. You can see it in plain sight but no matter how much she observed it or touched it and kept on telling herself everything is normal. 

There's just something that keeps her from accepting that very fact. Even though Reiki is right in front of her looking at her eyes she just can't seem to shake the feeling that there's something wrong with him. In fact, she kept on feeling something else when she first saw him and it was nothing. And that was exactly how she felt nothing about him. He was just another face in the crowd. Someone you just walk by in the hallway. And he was possibly even the kid in class that gets picked on by the bullies of the class.

First, it started with his display of internal force and after that, she found something that was hidden beneath his soul. But it didn't stop there she also felt something was amiss like there was something completely off about something around him she just couldn't find what it was. Picture this if someone powerful enough were magically teleported to Tokyo tower in some other country it's easy to imagine just what kind of diplomatic issue this could cause. The opposing country would try to take advantage of the negotiations and other neighboring countries would be wary of the person who's able to teleport Japan's second tallest structure that's about 332.9 meters high and weighs about 4,000 tons. But now what she's experiencing is the complete opposite. 

It was about a small detail no matter what she did and how to put it off as. She still felt something amiss. No matter what she couldn't get a read on him and even if she did she only felt something that was out of place. Like something was not supposed to be here or more accurately she felt that someone wasn't supposed to be here.

And without her knowing it Arashi spaced out for a half a moment but Reiki was able to see the split detail and said. "... Hey Hageshi-san?" With a simple shout Arashi snapped out of her daze but this time she didn't instantly reply instead this time she straightened her back, Plastered on a serious face, Steeled her resolve and crossed her arms which in turn caused her ample chest to slightly jiggle. At this point, she actually looked like she was really looking down on him with her head held up high but still able to make eye contact with him. With a firm will and a steely look, she looked at Reiki and replied. "Sure on the condition you're telling the truth." 

Was her response to him straightforward and full of resolve. Even though what she saw in his soul made her resolve to falter for a bit she wasn't the type of person to back down and that goes double. If her resolve where to be challenged along the line.

With the decision made there was no turning back after this point Reiki fully aware of the consequences he said. "Yes, it's true what you just saw me used a few moments ago was internal force." After finishing his sentence Reiki dragged out one long sigh and sat down again with his back resting on a tree as Reiki was in thought. Right now this girl is the least of my problems. The most dangerous problem I have right now is the rich bishoujo who threatened me. Whether it was just on a whim or intentional this is the kind of thing that I can't afford to leave to chance. With that in mind, he let loose another sigh that was just as long as the previous one.

After that between the two of them, no one spoke a single word after he openly admitted that he used internal force. Reiki was still sitting with his back against a tree and Arashi was just looking at him with a complicated expression. A few more moments passed and the only sound they could hear was the wind gently swaying the tree branches and the sound of birds chirping even Reiki had to admit today was pretty peaceful even for him. 

The silence was only broken when the snobbish looking warrior approached them who was completely oblivious to the peaceful atmosphere he reached out one hand holding two pouches exactly the same as Reiki the only difference of the two pouches the snobbish looking warrior pouch although it wasn't brand new it wasn't old either. They weren't filled to the point it looked like it would burst but it didn't look like it was completely empty either from Reiki's observation it should contain about somewhere about 40-55 coins and that being on the generous side he wasn't even clear what type of coin is inside. 

Then the snobbish looking warrior said. "Here's half of the payment you'll both get the other half after the mission is over." Reiki stood up and took his pouch while Arashi did the same thing. With that, the corners of Reiki's lips smiled so lightly but it was a smile filled with self-mockery. I choose to take this job and show what I'm capable of for this amount of money that if I'm lucky would amount to about a year of onee-chan's salary and that's after I get the second payment in completing the mission. He thought to himself as he slightly shook his head. Risking his own hide just for a year's worth of his elder sister's salary wasn't something to be proud of, in fact Reiki actually considered it to be inefficient. 

Without him knowing it Reiki subconsciously silently gripped his hand holding the pouch which in turn was the first emotion that Arashi was able to notice with her short interaction with him even if his face still remained calm and relaxed with her experience a slight change of body language was a dead give away. She labeled him as the type of person that was secretive and liked to keep things to himself even if one day there he would become terminally ill he'll more likely be more worried about his family than him and he was more than used to carry all of the burdens so his family would be able to enjoy a spoiled and comfortable life but what really puzzled her was his age. 

She would usually only see this signs on someone who would be about 20-30 years old when the person already had his or her firstborn then they would show signs of familial love, in turn, their parents would then do everything in their power to ensure their child had everything he or she needed. Like what Reiki had subtly shown to her but what puzzled her was his familial love was more than it seemed to the point he would risk his own life for this extra bit of money.

The snobbish looking warrior was still there but he looked like he was looking for someone he still had one more pouch tied by his side at this point all he wanted was to pay the last person and go back to HQ to report and call it a day. Arashi saw this opportunity and said. "If you're looking for the last one she already left a few minutes ago. But oddly enough I've met her a few times but we've never even talked but I guess I can pass the payment to her when I get the chance this weekend." Arashi spoke completely normal. She wasn't in a hurry or was too slow. Her expression even read 'Might as well do it since I know her... From a friend's look showing that she is unwilling to do it but she'll do it anyway since she'll do it in passing.

The snobbish looking warrior stared at Arashi for a few seconds and then shrugged. It wasn't his problem if she was planning to keep the money for herself or if the girl who left never got paid. He was able to tell that the bishoujo's pocket money was easily more than what he could earn in 5 years of doing missions for the guild. With that, the snobbish looking warrior untied the pouch by his side and casually tossed it towards Arashi and started to walk away not even bothering to ask.

With a simple toss, Arashi was able to cash the pouch without much effort and she started to lightly toss it in her left hand catching it again with the same hand. She took one long and hard look at Reiki and soon she tossed both the pouches in her possession towards him.

Reiki lazily caught both of them while still having his back on the tree relaxing with one pouch on his left hand and another two that were tossed towards him he said. "What are you doing? Don't tell me that you plan on pawning off your responsibility to me?" He emphasized the word 'your' when he spoke. Although Reiki needed money he'd rather avoid owing favors especially to the wrong people.

Arashi flashed a meaningful smile towards Reiki and said. "I forgot to ask Lil Bro. What are you doing here anyway?" She knew the answer but she also knew that he'll never admit it no matter what. And the reason for it is simple, he doesn't want to depend on anyone the only way he can be assured if there aren't any strings attached.

Reiki casually lets go of the two pouches and they give a soft thud as they hit the ground. Arashi wasn't surprised, still waiting for him to reply Reiki sighed again and said. "Experience. I always learn more if I do it first hand than to ask those so-called 'Pros' questions." As he finished saying that he slowly got up on his feet. But how he emphasized the word 'pros' he sounded like he had trouble accepting it rather than saying the word itself.

Arashi lightly stomped on the ground using her foot which caused both of the pouches on the ground to jump up to the same height of her elbow and with a swift catch she was holding both of the pouches again. But this time she walked towards Reiki and firmly passed both of the pouches on his hand.

Reiki couldn't play dumb this time even an idiot could guess what she was thinking. So he finally asked. "Why are you giving me the pouches?" Arashi's hand was still clamped onto Reiki's, indicating she wasn't taking no as an answer.

Arashi flashed another blinding smile and said. "Just like you, I'm here for the experience. And I don't really have a need for this measly amount of money if I asked them can provide me with enough money to literally drown my enemies." She said with a voice of pride. Reiki didn't judge her because every powerful force always has these three things, Wealth, Information, and Power. No matter how powerful an individual is without a powerful backer you wouldn't get too far in the food chain.

"Since we're here for both experience that also means I'm not here for the money." Reiki replied while stretching the word 'we're' as he tried to slip his hand from her grip.

Arashi would've believed him if she didn't see it for herself a few moments ago. Running out of cards to play she decided to use 2 to end the conversation as a smirked slowly crept on her lips she said. "Lying to Onee-chan's a no-no Lil Bro. If you need money just say so but with your personality, you'd never accept it. And if you're thinking how I know, call it a woman's intuition. And besides, with this money you can put it to better use than me."

Reiki looked deep into Arashi's eyes and stared at her for a few moments. Arashi, seeing his reaction, stared back at him bravely, not backing down an inch. Seeing she was sincerely helping, Reiki let out a long sigh and nodded his head.

Arashi smiled approvingly as if she expected no less from his Lil Bro as she said. "Right! That's how my Lil Bro should be. Oh and before I forget you were looking for a place to stay if you are so am I. Let's find an inn and get some warm food in our stomach." She said and pointed to the direction where most of the people who failed the exam.

"Pass. I still have something to do tonight. And going to an inn is a waste of money. I'd rather just camp in the forest later in the night." Reiki's reply was equaled to a splash bucket of cold water as he denied her invitation.

Arashi flinched slightly and her eye's slightly dimmed. Reiki noticed the subtle detail then scratched the back of his head while thinking. I can't keep being an asshole to someone who's being nice, can I? As Reiki turned around with his back facing Arashi he said. "If you're willing to camp out here with me for the night I'll be back here at about 7-8 o'clock." As he slowly walked back to Akihabara.

Arashi's eyes  brightened up and she smiled that could easily mesmerize people as she hurriedly asked a barrage of questions. "Where are you going Lil Bro? And do you need any help? Can I come with you? And how do I know you'll return?" She quickly tried to get the status of hers from Acquaintance to Onee-chan as soon as possible and this was the perfect opportunity.

Reiki tossed back all three pouches to Arashi without even looking back. "Here I'll be back for this as you said I can put that money into better use than you... At least to my standards. And don't worry I'll be quick. The only thing on my checklist is to cut a loose end." With that Reiki leisurely walked towards Akihabara and soon he disappeared from Arashi's sight.

17