Chapter 174: Numbers
100 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mio and Yuki were standing by the sidewalk as they stared at the simple two-story house. Mio's eyes had a hint of yearning and said. "... Yuki… You're thinking the same thing I am, right?" Yuki nodded as her hand that was holding the strap of the backpack over her right shoulder tightened, she said. "... Yeah…" The two of them simultaneously said. "... I… Don't want to leave…" Mio glanced from the corner of her eye and saw a short black limo slowly making its way closer to them. Yuki adjusted her backward blue baseball on her head and threw a punch in front of her causing the wind around her fist to slightly tremble.

Yuki had a big smile on her face and said. "We can drop by whenever we want, so we have no reason to be sad." Yuki slapped the back of Mio's shoulder as she took a step forward to prevent herself from falling. Mio glared at her friend while Yuki continued. "Reiki gave us the tupperware containers, so we have a reason to drop by next time." The anger on Mio's face quickly disappeared as she rolled her eyes at Yuki, Mio thought. That's true… Mio's mouth curved into a small smile as she continued her train of thought. Although a bit awkward and forced… We also gained a capable and caring older brother.

Yuki gave Mio a heavy pat on the back which made her lean a few inches forward as she felt the sting. Mio turned her head sideways as Yuki sprinted down the street while waving her hand, Yuki said. "Later." The short black limo parked in front of Ketsueki's house as a man wearing a black suit and shades went out from the driver's seat and opened the back door. Mio closed her eyes and let out a sigh as she made her way inside. The man carefully closed the door and made his way back to the front of the driver's seat and closed the door.

Mio took a big long breath and thought. It's just a business party, all I need to do is show up and smile… Mio's expression turned indifferent while the light in her eyes visibly dimmed, she stared out of the window as she watched houses pass by.


Ketsueki's House By The Living Room

Shiro, Reiki, and Ketsueki were eating around the dining table. Reiki was devouring food at a fast rate while Ketsueki and Shiro took their time. Ketsueki placed her chopsticks down and wiped her lips using a napkin, she said. "Thanks for the meal." She stretched her arms upwards while leaning back a bit making her large chest jiggle ever so slightly. 

Reiki blatantly stared at his older sister's chest while Shiro had a piece of calamari that had some tartar sauce on it pinched between her chopsticks. Shiro looked up to her older sister and said. "Onee-chan you're already finished?" Ketsueki picked up her glass of water and emptied it in one go, she said. "Yeah, I still have a few more documents to finish."

While chewing Reiki's eyes turned serious, he thought. Two months… In two months she can leave that company. Ketsueki stood up from her seat as she tiptoed for a few seconds and made her way to the staircase. Reiki stared at his older sister's butt which was covered by a loose pair of black shorts that almost reached her knees. Shiro glared at her older brother from the corner of her eye while Reiki placed down his chopsticks and started eating using his fingers. Shiro said. "You were staring at Onee-chan weren't you, Onii-chan?"

Reiki picked up his glass of water and downed half of it in one go, he said. "I was thinking of the main reason why Onee-chan's only wearing a t-shirt and shorts." He thought. Though you won't hear a single complaint from me, especially if she decides to show more skin around the house. Shiro had distrust all over her face while Reiki pretended not to notice and continued with his meal while using his hands to eat. Shiro blandly said. "And what conclusion did you come to?" Reiki thought. She's starting to sound more like her.

He gulped down a mouthful of food and said. "I mean it has been hot lately, so Onee-chan decided to wear something light." Shiro grumpily ate a piece of calamari, she thought. LIAR!! You couldn't move your eyes away from her even if I poked your eyeball! Reiki tossed an onion ring into his mouth while he stared at his little sister, he swallowed and said. "Shiro, want some ice cream?" Shiro jolted on her chair as her eyes sparkled, she shook her head, crossed her arms, and let out a hmph. Reiki smiled at her and continued. "How about two pints?" 

Shiro's ears perked up as she glanced at him from the corner of her eye but took a deep breath to calm herself. Reiki raised a brow and continued. "Three pints of chocolate ice cream, two chocolate bars, and a chocolate cake made by yours truly." Shiro's eyes brightened up like stars as a bit of drool came from the corner of her mouth as she stared at him. She came back to her senses as Shiro let out another hmph, she thought. I can't get distracted by these! Elven choco! I won't forgive Onii-chan if it isn't elven choco! Reiki's mouth turned into a teasing smile, he thought. I see how it is.

He let out an exaggerated sigh and said. "Shiro, you've grown so much." Shiro's eyes widened as she turned her head to face him. Reiki picked up calamari and held it with his left hand, he continued. "You don't want food as a consolation, you want an actual apology." Shiro was stunned for a moment before she extended her left hand at him and hastily said. "O-Onii-chan, wait!" Reiki raised his hand that was holding onto the piece of fried calamari, he said. "No no, Shiro. I understand." Shiro's eyes slightly watered giving her a sad appearance.

Shiro was on the verge of crying as she suddenly stopped and smiled as Ketsueki appeared behind the seat Reiki was sitting on. Ketsueki slapped the back of her little brother's head using her left hand.

[System: User has received 164 Damage.]

Reiki face planted on a plate that had bits of fried debris.

[System: User has received 42 Damage.]

Ketsueki stared at him with narrowed eyes and said. "Stop teasing your little sister." Reiki thought. I already got caught. He moved his face off the plate as he picked up a napkin and used it to wipe his face clean, he said. "I was just playing with her."

Ketsueki placed her hands on her hips, she spoke in an intimidating voice and said. "Since when did you learn how to play with someone else's feelings?" Reiki felt a chill go down his spine while Shiro got up from her seat and quickly made her way toward Ketsueki. Shiro pretended to wipe a tear from the corner of her eye as she looked up to Ketsueki and said. "Onee-chan, Onii-chan is being mean to me." Ketsueki picked up her younger sibling as she carried Shiro with her left arm, she placed a hand on her cheek and said. "It's fine, Shiro." 

Reiki saw the cold smiles on her two sisters as he felt his entire body go cold while he wiped some cold sweat on his forehead. Ketsueki held her hand out to him with her palm facing upwards, she said. "Now, hand over a box of elven chocolate if you don't want to get pummeled." Shiro's sad expression immediately vanished as her mouth turned into a smug smile. Reiki thought. I was wrong… Shiro was already like her… Ketsueki moved her hand that was extended toward him onto her little brother's cheek which made his entire body jolt in place. Ketsueki said. "We can do this the easy way or the hard way. Take your pick, Reiki."


Inside A High-Class Restaurant

Chishiki and Akemi were sitting on black wooden chairs with ocean blue cushions. The two of them sat by a round table that was draped over a white cloth with the tableware and an empty glass of wine on their right. The two of them sat across from each other in the empty restaurant alone in a brightly lit room with white walls and red velvet curtains that were tied letting sunlight inside. Akemi was massaging the temples of her head while she glared at Chishiki and said. "What are you planning?"

Chishiki gave her an odd look and said. "Lunch." Akemi softly slammed her fist onto the table and said. "We are tasked with setting up a company. Do you think it's a good idea to take money out of it to pay our debts and eat at restaurants like this?!" A waiter quickly made his way toward their table while holding onto a tray with two dishes. Chishiki and Akemi had perfect smiles on their expressions as the waiter approached their table. The waiter said. "Saffron risotto with forest mushrooms and Tasmanian salmon fillet with dutch carrot puree."

The waiter placed the risotto in front of Chishiki and the salmon in front of Akemi, the waiter gave them a respectful bow and said. "Enjoy your meal." The waiter quickly made his way toward the back area where only employees are allowed. Chishiki picked up a silver spoon as she pointed at her and said. "If you're so uptight about it, why did you order?" Akemi picked up a knife and fork as the two of them started to dig into their beautifully presented meals, she said. "I wasn't the one who ordered a bottle of wine and champagne!"

Chishiki scooped some risotto along with a small mushroom, she rolled her eyes at Akemi and said. "Then I better not see you drink a glass." Chishiki ate a spoonful of risotto while Akemi's grip on the utensils tightened as her hands lightly shook in anger. Akemi spoke with an undertone of anger and said. "I wasn't dumb enough to ask for three bottles each for take out-!" She stopped herself as the double door swung open as a female employee wearing an identical red vest, black pants, and white long-sleeved polo shirt. The waitress made her way to the two girls' table while carrying a shiny metal bucket by the handle. 

Inside the bucket was ice and a bottle of champagne and held a bottle of red wine in the other hand. The waitress stood by Akemi and Chishiki's table as she placed the bottle of wine on the table beside the bucket filled with ice. When the waitress was about to reach into her pocket Chishiki gave the woman a polite smile and said. "Oh, sweety. You don't need to open the bottles for us. I have plenty of experience with those." Chishiki placed the spoon on the napkin as she grabbed the neck and flicked the cork off using her thumb.

The smile on Akemi's lips stiffened while she tried to muster every ounce of her strength to maintain her composure, she said. "Please don't mind her…" She noticed the name tag just below the waitress's right shoulder, Akemi continued. "Asuna-san, She's always like that." She gave the waitress an apologetic smile while Asuna nodded at her and said. "Yes ma'am." Asuna gave them a respectful bow as she made her way to the same place the male waiter headed.

The moment Asuna was out of earshot Chishiki was pouring herself a glass of wine almost filling it to the brim. Akemi let out one long sigh dripping with stress, she said. "How you were picked for the position of CEO of the company, is one of life's greatest mysteries…" Chishiki placed the bottle of wine down and picked up her wine glass as she took a big sip, she said. "Banter aside, let's discuss the company." Akemi cut off a piece of the salmon using a knife and fork, she said. "Like how's it's impossible to buy an entire building with the amount he gave us?"

Akemi stabbed the piece of salmon she cut off with a fork as she waved it around and continued. "With this small amount of funds, we won't be able to buy enough herbs to have a chance of creating potions to sell." Akemi placed the knife down and swiped the bottle of wine and filled her glass almost to the brim just like she did. Chishiki let out a chuckle and said. "True, if this were any other business it would be doomed to fail." She stared at the dark red liquid in her glass and continued. "But, answer me this. The ten alchemists we have in total what rank are they?"

Chishiki took a sip of her wine while Akemi placed her fork on her plate that still had a piece of salmon stabbed on the tip. Akemi pinched the bridge of her nose and said. "... Nine apprentices and one beginner…" She downed her glass of wine in one go and reached for the bottle and refilled her wine glass. Akemi sharply exhaled and continued. "... We need at least two experts which are two whole ranks above our most experienced alchemist. And that's just to even have a small chance of making any sort of return…"

Chishiki let out a chuckle, she said. "With the money we have, our only choice is to start small." She gently swirled the wine in her glass as she glanced at Akemi from the corner of her eye and continued. "A hundred million is nothing for any business we're used to operating, but it should be enough for our current situation." Akemi took a sip from her glass and swallowed, she said. "... I'm just having a headache about how we're supposed to move forward with such limited funds."

Chishiki placed her glass down as she rolled her eyes at Akemi and said. "I think it's perfect." Akemi's eyes squinted, she looked at her oddly and gave her a look of complete confusion. Akemi said. "What?" Chishiki picked up her spoon, she said. "The two of us were neck-deep in debt, even after selling everything we could." She ate a spoonful of risotto and took a sip of wine, Chishiki continued. "We declared bankruptcy and what remained of our debt was paid soon after. I also had to pay an extra thirty-five million for those seven investors, just so I could bankrupt my company without causing a scene."

Chishiki smiled at Akemi and said. "Let's be honest with each other for this one question. How much debt did we have before deducting everything?" The two girls stared at each other for a moment with a piercing gaze. The atmosphere turned tense until Chishiki let out a chuckle while Akemi let out a sigh, Akemi said. "One trillion five hundred billion yen." Chishiki slightly tilted her head sideways and said. "Mine was eight hundred and fifty-three billion yen."

Chishiki tapped on the table using her fingers, she continued. "But the worst part was…" The two of them stared at each other and simultaneously said. "The herbs." Akemi let out a tired sigh as she downed half of the wine in her glass in one go. Chishiki let out a chuckle and said. "They took all the preservation chambers and equipment which made all the herbs wilt at an accelerated speed." Akemi nodded as she swirled the wine in her glass and took a small whiff of it, she said. "Then we're forced to sell it at a total loss if we wanted to make some of our money back due to the herbs losing potency."

The two girls stared at their wine glasses as the atmosphere around them turned gloomy. Chishuki let out a sigh and said. "I think this is enough honesty between us for the day." Akemi downed the rest of the wine in her glass and wiped her lips using a napkin, she said. "Agreed." Chishiki slightly shook her head sideways as she went back to her cheery self, she said. "Back to the main topic… Right now, all the others think we're dirt poor." Her lips turned into a big smirk, Chishiki continued. "If they only knew."

Akemi waved her left hand in dismissal and said. "I know I know, we have to start small and slowly work our way up because we're supposed to be out of money." Chishiki nodded as she raised her left hand and extended three fingers, while talking she tucked in her fingers. Chishiki said. "We'll just summarize our talk during appetizers. We don't need to worry about all the paperwork since we have our ways to get around it, at most it'll take half a day."

Chishiki continued. "With the current budget at most, we could buy a medium-sized two-story high building if we're lucky. Then comes the problem of herb supply." Chishiki placed her left hand down on the armrest of the chair and continued. "... The contractors aren't the problem, it's the alchemist… We're going to need a large quantity of materials just to make the smallest vial and that's not even factoring in the non-existing chance of success…" The atmosphere around them turned heavy again as Chishiki waved her hand in dismissal, she said. "Now that we have managed to summarize the plan more or less. We should eat before our food gets cold."

Akemi downed what remained in her glass of wine, she reached for the bottle and refilled her cup. Akemi said. "What are we doing?" She placed down the bottle of wine while Chishiki scooped some risotto using a spoon as she gave her an odd look, she said. "Lunch." The corner of Akemi's eye twitched, she picked up a knife and fork. Akemi said. "It's two whole hours before noon." Chishiki rolled her eyes at Akemi and said. "It's an early brunch, big deal."

Akemi ate the salmon that was still stabbed on her fork while she gave Chishiki a deadpan stare. Chishiki let out a laugh as she picked up her glass and said. "Darling, don't give me that look." Akemi's eyes turned cold, she blandly said. "I don't swing that way and even if I did you'll never be my type." Chishiki was about to take a sip of wine but stopped as she let out another laugh, she said. "I know we may have never been on the best terms, but we were never on the worst either." Akemi cut the salmon on her plate into bite-size pieces using a knife and fork. Akemi let out a sigh and said. "I know… Since we're working under the same roof with no grudges, it would be wise to be friends."

Chishiki gave her a bright smile, she said. "Now you're on my wavelength." Akemi rolled her eyes at Chishiki and said. "Where are the other bottles you ordered? Bring them all out." Chishiki scooped some risotto using a spoon as she gave Akemi an odd look and said. "What are you talking about?" Akemi stabbed a piece of salmon on her plate but missed because of what Chishiki said. Akemi stared at her with wide eyes and said. "I-Isn't that the reason why you ordered those three extra bottles of wine and champagne, to get to know each other?" Chishiki stared at her for a moment, she said. "No, those are mine. When I went to the bathroom I met with one of the waitresses who gave the bottles to me."

Akemi gritted her teeth as she gave Chishiki who was casually eating in front of her a death stare. Akemi thought. Do I have to work for someone like her?! 

~Three Hours Later~


Ketsueki's House By The Living Room

Reiki was sitting by the dining table alone and on his plate was a mountain of rice with some oxtail beef stew. He glanced at the couch where his two older sisters were watching tv while eating a box of elven chocolate. He ate a spoonful of rice followed by some stew and thought. Being a child again is so boring, no sex, can't drink, and I can't even pass the time by gambling… Shiro looked above the backrest of the couch, she said. "Onii-chan, if you take too long we'll eat your share."

Reiki turned his head and saw the bright smile on his little sister's face and Ketsueki who turned her head sideways who gave him a captivating smile. He gulped down a mouthful of food and said. "Sure, I don't mind." Shiro raised her hands in celebration, she looked up to her older sister and said. "Onee-chan it worked!" Ketsueki let out a chuckle as she placed a hand on top of her little sister's head, she said. "Shiro, what did I say? He would never say no to you." She turned around and grabbed the chocolate in the box that was placed on the coffee table. Reiki had a spoon in his mouth as he closed his eyes and thought. This is something I've yearned for my entire life… Nothing left to do but check in on my elves and head to bed.

He heard his older sister's voice in front of him, Ketsueki said. "Reiki, what are you thinking about?" Reiki opened his eyes and saw Ketsueki sitting on the opposite side of him with an infatuated look on her face.

3