37 l Camp Drybone
21 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Azlyn clenched her fists, looking around the room to the silent members watching her. Y'shtola had that knowing look, one that happened to know quite a bit more than she let on. Of course she couldn't turn away now. She couldn't run away anymore. "Then I will go whither the wild rose blooms." 

Y'shtola's subtle chuckle filled the space, everyone else had been blown away by her immediate response. 

Minfillia relaxed at last, raising a hand up in greeting to her. A smile gracing her lips. "Wonderful!! I knew you wouldn't let us down! Krile was right about you!" 

Azlyn let an audible groan out. "I shouldn't be surprised." She shook her head. 

Minfillia chuckled, "She told me all about you—but I wanted to make sure you wanted to work with us of your own will. She made me promise to respect your decision after all.” 

“So it comes as no surprise I was raised in Sharlayan.” Azlyn replied. 

Minfillia nodded to her, gesturing with her left hand. “As you know the Sharlayans were the keepers of wisdom both old and new. Their mastery over magic and aether was unsurpassed, and even the Garlands knew to fear them. Among their number, their were a noble few who devoted their lives to safeguarding the future of Eorzea.” 

“Those few who were brave stepped forth during the chaos of the Calamity.” Azlyn noted with grimace. 

“And those same brave souls stand before you now.” Minfillia gestured to the masked woman and her Lalafell companion. “The masked woman is Yda, and beside her is Papalymo. The two are charged with surveying the Twelveswood.” 

When Yda was introduced, she waved to Azlyn. “It’s nice to see you again! Looking better than last time that’s for sure!” She grinned beneath the mask. 

Papalymo stepped forward, raising his own hand in greeting. “Welcome.” He nodded to her. “I had every confidence that we’d meet once again. The fates have always written it as such.” 

Yda then gestured to herself. “I thought so too!” 

Papalymo turned to look up at Yda, as they both crossed their arms at each other. After what Azlyn assumed was their comedy act ending, Yda unfolded her arms to gesture to Thancred. She smiled happily, “My turn to introduce someone! That there is Thancred!” Papalymo nodded to Thancred as Yda introduced him. 

“He is our man here in Ul’dah, jewel of the desert.” 

Azlyn turned to look at the man she met in Ul’dah last night. He gave her a wry grin, stepping forward to shake her hand. She met him halfway, forming a tight grip in his handshake. 

“Welcome to the team.” 

They shook hands briefly. When he dropped her hand from his, he turned to Y’shtola. “If I may, the lovely maiden beside me is named Y’shtola. Limsa Lominsa has the pleasure of being under her care.”

Y’shtola stepped up, reaching over to brush the bangs out from Azlyn’s eyes. She smirked as she nodded her greetings. “Your fever is down, which is a good sign.” 

She turned to the last person in the room who had not been introduced. “Last but not least is Urianger, who presides over all affairs within these halls. Pray seek him out whenever you have questions Azlyn.” 

Azlyn turned to the Elezen, who approached the side of Minfillia’s desk. He bowed slightly to her. “Dawn may banish even the darkest night.” A sharp pain formed at the front of her forehead, as Azlyn winced. She leaned forward as her vision darkened. She was floating in a room, briefly lit by candle light. She could see that Urianger was writing a letter on the desk. A familiar looking journal by the written note. The scene was a quick one, shifting back to the present. 

Thancred had caught Azlyn as she had stumbled forward. “Are you alright?” 

Azlyn shakily nodded. “F-fine.” She steadied herself on her own two feet, taking a step back from him. She could tell she had several eyes on her, as she shook the vision from her mind. 

Minfillia turned to look at Urianger for a short period. Urianger broke the silence, “—The words of a dear friend. I am glad of our meeting.” 

Y’shtola gave her a concerned look, however she explained all to the group. “At the Battle of Carteneau, our leader was taken from us. Like you Azlyn, we lost someone dear. But we did not stray from our purpose. We sought out Minfillia and others with her talent, and together established the Scions of the Seventh Dawn.” 

“Along with the Archons, those blessed with the Echo play a pivotal role.” Minfillia added, “They help in our endeavor to forge a bright tomorrow for the realm.” 

Tataru entered the solar once again, a set of papers in her hands for Minfillia to sign or look over. As she walked forward, Minfillia smiled. “Perfect timing, I should also introduce you to Tataru, our clerk. She ensures that everything runs smoothly.” 

Tataru joyfully cheered. “Pleased to make your acquaintance!”

Tataru walked over to Urianger, the papers were addressed to him. He accepted them gratefully, as Minfillia spoke to Azlyn. “In time, I hope you will come to think of us as family. But without further ado—I would like to assign you on your first task.” Minfillia smiled to Urianger. “Have the documents arrived from the Students of Baldesion?” 

He nodded, the papers in his hands immediately turned to her hands. “Aye my lady, they arrived but recently.” He walked over to her side.

“Hrm.” Minfillia scanned the papers. “We have received a request for aid from the Immortal Flames.” She turned to Thancred with a nod. “Thancred, would you do the honors?”

Thancred smiled, looking down to Azlyn he explained his findings of his recent reports. “Some days ago, a crystal caravan registered to Amajina & Sons Mineral Concern was waylaid and divested of its cargo. But there is more. Within a bell of the robbery, several people were reported missing from the shantytown outside the city.” 

Minfillia nodded. “At a glance, one would assume the involvement of bandits, kidnappers, and coincidence. Such crimes are hardly uncommon, and the Immortal Flames deal with their like almost every day. However, this time we have reason to believe that a primal is involved.” Minfillia had stated calmly. She leaned back against her desk, as she waved the reports in her hand.

Azlyn frowned, she’d read about the beast tribes summoning their primals in the past.

Thancred continued. “Aye, the evidence left behind implicates the Amalj’aa, who are known worshippers of Ifrit. If we consider the objects that were taken, there Is no room left for doubt—the crimes were committed in the name of a primal.”

Minfillia looked to Urianger, handing him back the papers. “That you may better understand the nature of our struggle with the primals, I would have you play the leading role in this investigation.”

“Wait—what? Why me?” To be honest, she thought it absurd for her to be a lead investigator for something that could alternatively affect the entire realm. Her purple and red limbal eyes went wide in shock. She almost wanted to further question Minfillia’s sanity for suggesting it.

The woman smiled at her question, reaching up to push one of her blonde braids back behind her ear. She then crossed her arms with a wry smile. “I know that you have what it takes to do this for us. If there is aught you wish to know, I recommend you speak with Thancred. He is well versed in the affairs of Ul’dah.”

There didn’t seem any leeway for her to decline the assignment, so feeling a little anxious over what was to come, she grimly nodded. Thancred walked over to her, patting her on the shoulder as he gestured for her to follow him out of the solar. “Ever at your service fair lady, but let’s get some fresh air and we can talk more in detail.”

Yda waved exuberantly at her, Papalymo gave her another one of his curt nods, a soft smile on his face. Y’shtola gave her a thumb’s up as Thancred ushered her away. As the solar’s door closed behind them Azlyn heavily sighed.

Thancred looked over his shoulder to the young Au Ra. “You alright? You look like you might pass out.”

When they cleared the doors that led up the stairs into the small space Tataru was working at up front, Azlyn closed her eyes. She was trying to figure out why a vision popped up when Urianger spoke those words. “I have a bit of a headache, it comes and goes.” She explained, “It probably didn’t help that I only had four hours of sleep.”

The one whom she’d be working with had a slight frown. He did have a subtle worry lines forming in between his two brows. “You mustn’t push yourself too hard. You’re no good to us if you’re not well.”

“Yeah, I know.” Azlyn replied with a quick response. “But if this is a primal summoning, you’re going to need help. I don’t think this is something that can be pushed aside for long. Especially if it happened a couple days ago.”

He agreed, Thancred lead on the wall in the small space upstairs. “Tataru, would you be so kind as to bring our guest a cup of water?”

Tataru perked up from her books with a courteous smile. “Of course! Would you like some lemon or cucumbers Azlyn?”

The girl blinked at the sudden hospitality. “Lemon would be lovely. Thank you Tataru.”

“I’ll be right back.” She hopped off her chair, moving down the stairs to their break room below. When the door shut closed, Thancred finally decided to ask.

“Tell me, are you Liliana’s daughter by chance?”

Azlyn tensed at the mention of her mother. She lowered her gaze from his. That must have been enough of an answer for him, as he sighed loudly. He crossed his arms.

“My condolences. I worked with your parents when they were here with Archon Louisoix. They were good people.”

She gave him a sad smile. “Thank you.” 

He nodded. He considered his next words carefully as he spoke. “If you ever want to talk, I’m an open ear. I remember they spoke fondly of their daughter back home.”

The door creaked open below the staircase, as Azlyn crossed her arms over her chest. She smiled warmly. “I appreciate it.”

“One cup of water with lemon!” Tataru announced happily, walking around the bricks to Azlyn’s side. She was carrying a tea kettle and one cup with lemon. Azlyn accepted the cup gratefully, but Tataru started to push her to the table. “We can’t have you enjoying your drink standing. Sit, sit!”

Azlyn found a seat next to Tataru, as the Lalafell started to pour her a glass of warmed water. Thancred chuckled, walking over to the adjacent chair, pulling it out to sit himself. “Tataru has the right of things, we may be busy, but we still have some time to relax. Drink, and I’ll begin telling you of the mission.”

She lifted the cup to her lips. It was a soothing drink, one that quenched the thirst despite it being a hot beverage. The smell of lemon helped cleanse her fever a bit as well.

“So then, your mission is to investigate a crystal robbery and a spate of abductions. Crimes which we believe to be connected. Assuming we are correct, it is like that any discoveries we make in relation to one will further our understanding of the other.” Azlyn drank half of her cup by the end of this explanation, but before she could place her cup down Tataru had already reached over with the kettle to fill it up.

Azlyn gave an appreciative nod.

“Now, since the attack on their caravan our friends at Amajina & Sons Mineral Concern have doubled security over all their shipments. In light of this, it is my judgment that the abductions should be our priority.” He pulled out from his breast pocket a map of Thanalan, and pointed to several locations where the abductions occurred. “According to our preliminary findings, the majority of the missing were last seen in the vicinity of Camp Drybone, so that would seem a fine place to begin. I know a fellow, by the name of Isembard who serves as the camp’s de facto leader. Why don’t you pay him a visit, and see that he gives us his full cooperation.”

The girl looked up from her glass of water. Giving a nod, she accepted the task given to her. From the sounds of it, she was only asking people for information. She was relieved, perhaps she over thought the assignment for what it truly was. Thancred pushed the map to her and grinned. “You can take my map for reference. I’m sure you’ll need it. If you need me, feel free to give me a call. You have a link pearl, correct?”

Azlyn pushed her hair behind her ear, showing the pearl to him. “I do have one. Is that alright if I do?”

He smirked at her question. “To have a fair lady speak fluidly in my ears, it’d be a delight through the day. No need to rush. I’ll head out first while you finish your drink. Tataru, ever glad to be in your welcoming company.” He stood up from the chair, sliding it back into place at the table, before heading out the door into Vesper Bay.

Tataru waved goodbye to him, and then she turned to her. She grinned ear to ear. “Is there anything you like to drink in particular? For next time, of course.”

She hadn’t expected a question like that one, as she sipped her warm water. “I like teas. Green teas, white teas, black teas—herbal teas.” She thought back to her herbal garden in Sharlayan, a bountiful supply of herbs and fruity flavored leaves for different teas. “Hibiscus Tea with orange peels.” She murmured, and then shook her head. “It’s alright, some of the herbs are hard to come by. I’m good with anything you can offer me.” Azlyn raised the cup appreciatively, drinking the drink.

Tataru’s eyes lit up. “Of course we can make you tea! I can see if I can import some brews in and set up a nice area for it in the break room. I know several others who would enjoy it as well.” She smiled brightly to her. The dimples on her cheeks grew. “You can tell me anything, and I’ll make sure we have it here for you. That is a promise from me to you!”

It was this moment that caused Azlyn to chuckle, a soft sound that echoed in the room. “Thank you Tataru.”

“Did you want some more water?” She referred to her now empty glass.

Azlyn placed the cup down on the table. “That’s alright, I should probably get going so that I can make my deadlines.”

Tataru quirked her head. “Deadlines?”

She nodded, rolling her shoulder. “Well, I have this investigation I need to finish—and then I have an important archery match I need to win.”

“Whatever for if you don’t mind me asking?” Tataru questioned, as she started to clean up the table.

Azlyn shook her head. She did her best to make it not sound as bad as it seemed. “Kida’s livelihood in Gridania is on the line, so I need to make sure I’m there.”

The Lalafell almost dropped the glass on the ground. Azlyn had been quick enough, reaching out just in time to catch it. Tataru gave her a horrified look. “What has that Au Ra girl done now?!”

“Well, it’s more along the lines of what I did—but we have a plan.” Azlyn pumped her fist in the air. “I’ll just train in the mornings, and whenever I find a break. Oh.” She grabbed the map off the table, rolling it up to place it in her bag. “I’ll be heading off to Camp Drybone now, here’s your cup.” Azlyn handed back the cup she caught. Tataru wished her a good day as she ran out from the Waking Sands.

Azlyn walked over to the fountain of Vesper Bay, remembering that she attuned to the crystal in Camp Drybone the night before. If she remembered correctly, it was also the same place that swindled her with the water canteens. Making the mental note not to believe everything that would be said over there, she connected to the Aetheryte, teleporting through the aetherflow. It was a bright sunny day when she left Vesper Bay, and it was still a bright sunny day in Camp Drybone. The wind held no moisture however, making the heat feel just a bit more realistic.

The small hamlet in the middle of Eastern Thanalan looked different during the day time than it did during the night. She walked around the town, asking people what the current string of events were. Many of them didn’t divulge much—whether it was due to her being a stranger, or not they wouldn’t give her a straight response. However, many of them did have problems and issues needing assistance. Things they needed to gather or things to hunt—Azlyn decided to spend some time getting to know these people and do these favors for them. By the time she finished, it was close to four in the afternoon. She still had some sunshine left in the day to continue her investigation, and without much issues from before, the residents answered her with a bit more honesty.

“Do you know who Isembard is?”

“Oh yes dearie, Isembard is a kind soul who looks out for us. He’s the fellow by the station there.” A group had settled in with Azlyn, as they offered her a place to sit at their rug. They were placing dishes out to share their food.

“It’s unfortunate with the string of deaths and missing people. I hope Isembard can do something about it.”

An older lady was reaching forward with her contribution to the center. They had food that could be eaten by hand surrounding a large platter of cooked Dodo tenderloins that Azlyn prepared for them. There were other assortments of fruits, veggies, and cups of fruit juice that were shared equally. 

“If anyone can do it, I’m sure Miss Azlyn can get to the bottom of it.” A young hyur girl spoke up beside her mother. She had been playing tag with her friends outside the hamlet when a pack of jackals tried to attack her. Azlyn had been in the area, heading back from procuring the Dodo meat, when she saved the girl.

The mother ran a hand through her daughter’s hair, glad that she was safe and sound. “You’re absolutely right darling. Miss Azlyn, would you like some more juice?”

Azlyn accepted another glass gratefully. “Thank you for the hospitality.”

The older lady coughed into her arm, as her neighboring seat-mate reached over to pat her on the back in a soothing motion. “There, there.”

Eating her meal quietly, she let the women talk amongst themselves. Occasionally, they’d ask her about her travels or what she was planning on doing in the future. She carefully answered each one, ensuring nothing revealed her true intentions in the village. When all was said and done, the females packed up what little left overs remained. Azlyn let the villagers had the rest of her Dodo meat, as she didn’t have need to carry anymore.

When they finally went home for the night, Azlyn walked over to the one they identified as the De Facto leader. He wore robes like his fellow workers in town, an open blue shirt to help relieve the heat off his chest, with long white socks and a good pair of dusty working boots. He noted her approaching him with a steady gaze. “Good evening traveler.”

“Good evening. I was told you were Isembard? My name is Azlyn. I was sent here to do some investigation work.”

He nodded, crossing his arms with a knowing look. “Aye, I’m Isembard. Here to search for the missing folk, I take it? Minfillia sent word that an adventurer fitting your description would be along. I noticed you already working with the people to gain their favors. I’m pretty impressed by the work you’ve gone in such short time.”

She waved him off with her own knowing grin. “It comes with traveling. Was there anything else she mentioned when she sent word?”

“She also warned us to be wary of the Amalj’aa. It seems we know who the culprits are, at the very least.”

Azlyn bobbed her head. “Alright, so what can you tell me about the pending situation?”

Isembard straightened up, he craned his neck around to look before looking back to her. “Getting right to it then. Alright. Minfillia names the Amalj’aa culprits in all this. You would do well to investigate them, first. Much harm has been levied on these lands by Amalj’aa hands. The Flames burn where they might, but their light cannot stay the darkness in all places at all times.” He pulled out a map from his pocket, a regional one that he used for his personal demarcations. He presented the map to her. “There have been brutal murders of callers at the Church of Saint Adama Landama—innocents wishing no more than to pay their respects to the dead. The poor souls deserve a proper burial. I would see to the deed before mongrels catch their scent, but I know not if the Amalj’aa still linger.”

He rolled the map up, and stowed it into his pocket once more. “Would you secure their remains for me? You will find them on the eastern road.”

Azlyn swallowed the lump in her throat. “You want me to—bring your dead back?”

He sighed. “I know that’s asking you for a lot. I can supply you with a small caravan to transport the dead if it’ll be easier.” He whistled over to one of his workers, a stout young Hyur came over. His bandana soaked in sweat. “Prepare a small cart for this lady. She’ll need one.”

“Alright. Miss, if you’d meet me at the gate up top in five minutes, I’ll have it ready for you.” The lad ran off to do his task. Azlyn then turned to Isembard.

“Twelve willing, you may even come to learn something of what the Amalj’aa seek in this area while you’re out. Safe travels.” He bid her farewell, and she complied at last. She made her way to the town’s main entrance, walking up the dirt winding path to find the lad still putting together the cart. He offered her a chocobo to haul her future load, which she had to accept. It wasn’t like she was going to pull the cart by herself. Once a chocobo was saddled into place, he handed her the reins and together Azlyn and her new friend, Cocoa were walking down a darkening path into Eastern Thanalan.

It wasn’t far from town when she caught scent of the ripening dead decay. Cocoa bucked away from the putrid smell, not wanting to get any closer. She could already see past the tall weeds and dry grass a turned over caravan in the pasture. Azlyn managed to settle down Cocoa with a reassuring pat to her head. It chirped sadly as she led it further south of the wreckage. She gave it a command to hide and waited until she saw Cocoa lowering itself into the tall grass. The cart was small, so it too had been easy to hide given a few additional touches.

Giving Cocoa the command to wait, she brought forth her axe and shifted through the grass. The site was a mess, the caravan had been ravaged as if pierced by several lances. She edged around the corner of the flipped cart and stopped. She found herself staring at an incredibly tall reptilian holding a man-made spear. It’s long, thick tail, its four legs trampled the dirt it walked on—it used broken common to speak to its companion, another reptilian tall beastmen. She hunched down, keeping quiet as she observed them.

These were the Amalj’aa. Their darkened black scales, red piercing eyes, a draconic-like snout. Their hair, long tendrils tied in dread knots and intricate fashions of feathers and beads. The clothing had been simple, animal skins that they’d made from scratch.

“Mortals weak. Too weak. Our Lord demands more.”

“Soon brother. Soon.”

Seeing one reach down with it’s claws to grab one of the dead bodies, Azlyn jumped out. She swung her axe as she yelled. “Hey ugly!”

The closest one to her, the one with the spear hissed at her arrival. The other, who had been caught unawares by her had found an axe soon thrown at his face—there was a nice sounding thud as her axe dug deep into his skull instantly killing him.

The remaining one roared, charging at her with the spear pointed to her side. She deftly dodged to the left, hopping off the wagon that was toppled over, to a better vantage point. She imagined her greaves in her hands, as she required more melee speed than spellcasting to get through this Amalj’aa’s defenses. She rushed in, sneaking several landing blows to what she assumed were nerve points. From her understanding of anatomy from her school lessons, every living creature had points—it was only a matter of finding them. She ducked and weaved, taking a few swings and thwacks from the wooden spear it jabbed into her.

Already she could feel the bruising form, but she preferred the bruises over puncture wounds. She was defensively fighting, avoiding the major hits with the pointed end of his spear, and taking the horizontal swings when she couldn’t move in time.

She must have circled the beastmen over ten times, hitting him in spots from all over—and finally felt a force of kinetic energy burst from her fists. She charged in, striking the Amalj’aa with everything she had.

His crimson eyes rolled back, as it toppled down to the ground. For good measure, she summoned her axe and delivered a mercy killing—slicing his jugular so that he’d bleed in his unconscious state. It was then she snapped her attention to her surroundings. She waited to see if any more beastmen were coming, and after ten long seconds of waiting, realized that the two were the only ones. She sighed in relief, placing her axe back into the aethereal pocket of her strange blessing.

“Ugh…” She covered her nose. The stench of death overpowered her senses. “One…two…three.” She counted the bodies at the site with a grimace. She shook her head and grabbed one from under the armpits to drag back to the cart. After three round trips to Cocoa, they were packed and ready to go back to Camp Drybone. She hoped the rotten smell would go away, but she had a feeling it would be something she’d remember forever.

1