41 l Archer’s Competition
17 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Azlyn found herself lying in a bed in a familiar looking inn room. Her whole body felt like it’d been wrapped in tons of gauze and bandages. She tried to pull herself up, only for a voice to stop her. “Ah, you’re awake.” 

Thancred had been sitting in the corner of the room, reading a large paper. When he noticed her moving, he stood up to walk over to her bedside. “Y’shtola wasn’t kidding when she said you like to push yourself.” 

The girl lifted one of her arms up, seeing the gauze that wrapped from her hands down under her sleeve. She could tell that she had been changed, and she smelled nice. Her hair had felt lighter than before. “What time is it?” 

She guessed from the previous day she slept through all of that morning. 

He leaned over to feel her forehead, his tongue clicking at her question. “It’s about three or four in the afternoon. You passed out halfway over to Camp Drybone.” 

Azlyn threw the blankets off of her. She could now see that she had been wrapped up from head to toe. She sighed. “I have to go to Gridania.”

Thancred shook his head, “The doctor recommended you stay in bed for a few days.”

“I can rest after I finish that competition.” She argued, swinging her feet over the side. As she moved, the feeling of vertigo washed over her. “What was the prognosis?”

He tapped her on the head with his finger. “Overexertion, perpetually high fever, sprained ankle, sprained wrist, bruised ribs, some first degree burns throughout your body, malnutrition, and dehydration.” He listed all of the issues to her. 

“So nothing detrimental.” Azlyn responded with a smile. “I’ll be fine.” 

Thancred helped to pull her into a seating position, as he passed her a canteen of water. “I knew you wouldn’t take no for an answer. I told Minfillia as such, however I’m disinclined to let you go alone.” He looked to his watch. “We’ll teleport over when you are finished changing.” 

He got up to leave the room. Azlyn watched him as he felt, wondering why he was being tense all of a sudden. She found her satchel by the side, pulling out the spriggan hoodie, shorts, and comfortable socks with long brown boots. She pulled out the small wrist cuffs for her wrists. She looked like a mummy when she finally saw herself in the mirror—her hair had also been a touch shorter—probably trimmed away the burnt ends. 

Shaking her head, she slowly walked out from the room to see Thancred leaning on the wall. He waited for her before he offered her his hand. “I was hoping you’d rest a while—but you’re as stubborn as your mother.” He shook his head. “Let’s be on our way.” 

He activated the teleport over to Gridania, as the aether carried both of them to their chosen destination. The birds chirped in the sky, the trees canopied over top their heads, and a light breeze welcomed them to the Twelveswood. Thancred adjusted the front of his shirt. 

Azlyn wondered what he meant by his earlier comment. “Did my mom get hurt before—I mean to warrant your comment?” 

Thancred seemed taken back by this question. “Well—she was always charging in first. I had to keep up with her when she’d run off. She never took no for an answer.” He chuckled at a memory he remembered. “Your father was more reserved, he preferred to stay at headquarters researching.”

She nodded. “That sounds like both my parents.” They each had their own way of doing things, but they always found a solution in the end. “Sorry for worrying you.” 

The man ruffled her head. “It’s alright. It just means I have to change my tactics a bit.” He smirked to her. 

Azlyn looked up at the peaceful wood surrounding them. “What happened after Ifrit disappeared?”

“After witnessing their God’s ignominious defeat, the Amalj’aa became less inclined to risk our wrath—for a time—at least.” He explained, “I owe you an apology as well. I do hope you can forgive me.” He suddenly bowed to her in the middle of the plaza. Several people stopped to stare at them wondering what was going on. 

Azlyn reached forward to pull him up from his bow. “It’s alright, really—Thancred it wasn’t yours or anyone’s fault.” She paused—actually she would blame Ungust and the traitor—but how could they have known? She gave him a small smile. “You’re only one person.” 

“Yet I arrived too late.” He lamented. She could tell this was eating him up on the inside. She decided to let him vent his frustration. “I was of no use—to you or the abductees. They may be whole of body, but the same cannot be said of their minds. For once a man is tempered—” He released a long sigh. He shook his head. “It ill suits me to dwell on the negative. Amidst all our misfortunes there is still reason to rejoice. Ifrit is slain, and by your hand, no less!”

Azlyn smiled, tapping her chest with her own fist. “I’m a special kind of person.” She joked. 

He shook his head. “No Azlyn, this was a deed no ordinary individual could muster. Not that I ever thought you were ordinary. On the contrary, I have long suspected that you have the potential to shape the fate of this realm.” Thancred looked up to the trees, a light smile on his face. “I’d like to say my fine eye for talent remains undimmed, but it was not I who said it—but your mother. Liliana was especially proud, she would talk all about you and your potential for greatness. It made me want to meet you.” He confessed.  

That took her by surprise, as she felt her heart jump in her chest. She bit her lip as she swallowed the lump of grief in her throat. “Th-thank you. I guess I never realized how much they spoke about me to others. That’s... well it’s honestly surprising.” 

“Well, I should escort you to those hunting grounds. I’ll watch the competition and if I see you about to faint I’m dragging you back to the Waking Sands. You’ll have to deal with the other Scions at that point.” He explained in a tone that spoke finality, crossing his arms. 

“Deal.” Azlyn chuckled, and pointed to one of the gates. “It’s over in the central Shroud, follow me.” She walked along side him, noting the way he slowed his pace to hers. They walked through the woods quietly—Azlyn was left pondering his words while he was keeping his eyes on the local surroundings. 

In the distance she could already see a crowd growing as the training grounds filled with people. She widened her eyes at the sight. “Is he trying to humiliate you?” Thancred replied, also noting the huge crowd with confusion. 

She had seen the stands that were brought in for people to sit upon. Sitting near the front of one set she found a familiar Au Ra laying some rectangular cards on the space beside her. She was concentrating on them so much that she hadn’t noticed their arrival. Azlyn popped her head to her eye view. “Surprise!” She called to her cousin Roll, seeing her cousin’s almond gold eyes widen at the sight of her. 

“There you are. Kida was worried about you.” Roll tapped her arm in an unsteady way. She then looked to her cards laying on the ground. She then saw Thancred standing behind her. “Evening.” 

Thancred nodded to her. “Mind if I take the seat next to you?” 

Roll moved her cards from the spot. She let him sit as she looked Azlyn up from head to toe. She noted the difference in her appearance immediately. “You’re hurt. What trouble did you get into now?” 

Thancred sighed. “The Amalj’aa summoned their primal.” 

Azlyn scratched her cheek. “And I became a primal rag doll, it’s fine—it’s done now.” 

Roll widened her eyes. “A what?” 

A pair of arms suddenly wrapped themselves around Azlyn’s neck as another Au Ra with dark blue hair and pale blue skin clamped to her. “Azlyn!!!! Oh my gosh, what happened to your arms?” 

Kida pulled back to examine her more closely. “Who the fuck do I have to rough up?” She grabbed her chin and examined the slight bruise formed on her face under her right eye. She then looked to Thancred, “Thanny who did this?!” 

“I promise I’m okay—how long do I have?” Azlyn asked, looking at the growing crowd. “And why are there so many people?” 

Thancred crossed his arms, looking at the stage set up. “Oh, I see the Elder Seedseer.” He was surprised, and all of them looked over. She had a personal guard with her, along with two others with pink hair beside her. Azlyn also noted the Guildmaster E-Sumi-Yan, and two others in robes of import next to him. 

“Holy shit.” Kida whispered. “Everyone’s here to see how he’ll dig his head into the ground. What a great way to show that Elitist bastard.” She started to chuckle loudly. 

Azlyn started her own chuckle, except it was out of pure nerves. “Why is she here, of all people?” She felt the breath hitch in her throat. “By the Twelve, I might throw up.” 

Roll brought forth a floating globe from her side pouch, it started to spin as she pulled a deck of tarot cards from her other hand. Drawing the first card, she grinned at her cousin. “Ah—a good card. A sign of good health.” She replied, and Azlyn felt a strange energy wash over her. Feeling a bit better, she looked to her cousin with an odd expression. 

“Don’t you carry a staff? What is all this?” Azlyn asked. 

Roll explained, “While sky fishing I found myself at the Astrology Tower to the southern coast of Coerthas. Let’s just say my affinity for magic casting allowed me a chance to expand my healing.” 

Kida clapped in excitement. “That’s amazing! What are you a conjuring deck player?” 

Roll sighed. “An Astrologian.” 

Thancred nodded in approval. “When one reaches a plateau in their art, they must find ways to overcome the wall and move forward. I dare say you’ve done that Roll. Nice job.” 

A pair of footsteps approached their group, as Silvairre stopped short of Azlyn’s side. He held a bow and quiver set for her. He looked her up and down, before snorting from his nose. “What is this? You’re injured?”

Azlyn accepted the quiver and bow from him, ignoring his quip. “I’m well enough to see this competition to a close.” 

The Elezen with dark hair looked to Kida who sat down next to Thancred. Kida gave him a curt nod. “Silvairre I hope you brought a shovel!”

The man sighed, shaking his head. “This way—we will begin.” 

Before Azlyn walked away from their group, Thancred stopped her. He gave her some last minute pointers from what he discussed back at their pseudo campsite beforehand, and then smirked. “Knock ‘em dead.”

Azlyn gave him a thumbs up, running over to the surprisingly docile Silvairre. She wondered what prompted his unusual quietness—as she expected a discourteous remark from him to them. Only he hadn't. She stopped behind him, keeping her composure as best she could. Soon the two of them were the only ones in the center. 

There was an announcer calling the rules out to them, as she watched Silvairre take the first slot. She watched him closely as he finished his first set with ease, and the judges tallied his score. As she stepped up she started to notice several targets near and far—the grounds were abuzz with activity as she tried to zone them out.  

She drew the bow string back, and immediately noticed a crack in the wood. She had already notched the shot, and fired away. Her arrow landed with a thud in the target. She didn't have time to think, as she started adjusting her shooting to the damage. Not to mention her arms and back were straining in her endeavor to keep up with him. 

By the end of the first set she was shy a few points from him. She looked down to the bow with a frown. 

They pressed on into the second match, where they were simultaneously hunting. He managed to snag a stag with one true shot. Azlyn found herself shooting a stag as well. She waited for the scorers to tally their totals. 

"Silvairre has a total of 74 points. His Stag granted him a 24 point boost. He had a perfect score from his first competition set. Meanwhile his opposing competitor Azlyn has a total of 76 points. Her Stag brought her a perfect score for the second round. It's quick a close match." The announcer replied into their magically amplified device. Many of the crowd went silent at the intense match between the two. 

Azlyn rolled one of her shoulders, before taking a moment to restring her bow. If she continued to shoot it without changing the string, it would wind up snapping on her. She clicked her tongue. By the time she placed on a new string, the short break was over, and they were called over to the shooter's range. Both of them were standing next to each other. Azlyn looked over to him as he silently stared back to her. 

"What?" She asked quietly, wondering what was going through his mind. 

He scrunched his face in thought, turning back to the range before them. "Nothing." He reluctantly replied. 

Azlyn was inclined to believe him, except her vision went dark. She felt herself get pulled away from her current reality to a much different time. She was floating in the air, the daylight breaking through the canopy above. Down below she could see Kida, Leih, and Silvairre chasing a group of people through the forest. She watched them weaving in and out of the paths, where Silvairre managed to shoot several of the trespassers with his arrow. He had a confident grin on his face, only for Kida to yell at him to watch out. Azlyn watched as an arrow whizzed by him, striking down a poacher that was about to attack his blindspot. 

She watched Silvairre silently regard her friend, before uttering to her his thanks. The vision was a short one, and before she knew it she was back to her current location. Silvairre was giving her an odd look, as if he were concerned. She found herself staring down at the wood block that she leaned up against during her vision. 

Shaking her head, she exhaled a shaky breath. "Alright, let's finish this." Azlyn spoke softly. She gave the Elezen a soft smile. "I kind of enjoyed this." 

He seemed surprised by her statement, and he turned away with a slight red hue on his ear. "I haven't been this pressed for victory in a long time." He replied back, preparing his bow. 

Azlyn met his stance, and notch her bow. She focused on her control, not the strength as she and he simultaneously fired. Shot after shot, they continued until their arrows were all spent. Wiping the sweat from her eyes, she waited for the runners to hand them more arrows. Silvairre listened for the score between them. 

"This has been an exhilarating night, Silvairre leads with 98 points, while Azlyn follows close behind with 97 points. The first to hit 100 points will be the winner of this competition!" 

Silvairre had been handed three arrows, the same amount as Azlyn. The announcer readied both of them to position. 

Azlyn steadied her arm, as it had started to violently shake from overexertion. The burning sensation on her skin left her feeling uncomfortable. 

Silvairre and her fired their first shots simultaneously. Both of them hitting the marks bullseye. As Azlyn quickly fired her second shot, she could have sworn she saw Silvairre slowly grabbing his arrow. She didn't know if it was because he was confident that'd he would win, but she fired her second shot immediately after the first. She started to prepare her third one, just as he prepared his. He eyed her as she started to shoot. A loud snap could be heard as her bow finally broke in half. The bow snapped against her arm as she winced. However her arrow flew true and landed on the target. Silvairre had also fired his shot, only he decided to shoot it at the ground just beyond the wooden block. 

"Azlyn's the winner!" 

There had been a surge of applause, while Azlyn rubbed her arm. Silvairre pulled out from his pocket a mixture of salve, handing it to her. "I apologize for my rudeness. You are quite the marksmen." 

She looked up at him with a bewildered look. "Why didn't you shoot?" 

Silvairre frowned. "I owe someone a debt. Consider it paid in full." 

Azlyn let a small chuckle out. "It was Kida who protected you. Not me." 

He sighed, racking his head as if torn. "Yes, well—" But before he could explain Kida and Roll came running up to them. Roll had a trowel in her hand while Kida pointed to him. 

"Hah! I expect to see your head in the dirt Silvairre!" 

Roll supplied the trowel. "We need to dig a few feet to make it acceptable." 

Azlyn leaned back, a wry grin to her face. "He doesn't need to do that guys." 

All of them looked to her. Even Silvairre. She said, "Please be kind to anyone you meet, and be welcoming. That’s all I ask.” 

The Elezen gave her a strange look before nodding his head. “That’s acceptable. I expect to see your application to our guild Azlyn. You’d make a good archer.” 

She chuckled, reaching over to Kida. She pulled her friend into a side hug, and happily said. “As long as Kida’s with me I can do anything. Nothing’s impossible with the gift of friendship.” 

He bid them farewell as the rest of the crowds started to disperse. Kida accepted her hug. “Oh Azlyn, you’re a way better person than I am.” 

Roll nodded in agreement, sadly putting her trowel away. 

A few people approached her. Several from the Archer’s guild, a few from the Lancer’s guild, even a few conjurer’s arrived. Many of them were wanting her to sign up for their classes. It wasn’t long before she was provided with a lancer set, a conjure set, and an archer’s set. Many of them even wished her good tidings as they bid them all good night. 

When the chaos died down, Azlyn rubbed her sore hands. She could already feel the blisters forming on her palms. 

“Now spill it, what happened?” Kida finally questioned, and Thancred arrived to their side. He waited for the noise to drop before popping himself back in. 

“Minfillia will be be proud beyond all reckoning when she hears of your deeds in slaying Ifrit.” He waited for Kida to gasp loudly, and then proceeded to talk over her excited chatter. “I see you’re in good hands, so I trust you shan’t object to my bearing the tidings to her. You’ve also secured yourself quite the few admirers in this competition.” He grinned, looking at the crowd heading back to Gridania. “Oh, Kida, Roll—doctors orders say three to four days with plenty of rest and relaxation. In the meantime I’ll head back to Vesper Bay. That way I can claim to have contributed something to this mission.” 

He waved to them, before he disappeared in a flow of aether. Roll looked to Azlyn. “So, you’re with the Scions now?”

The girl nodded. “It just sort of happened?” 

Kida exclaimed, “And you went against a primal on your own!? Look at you, of course you’d be this injured! We must get you to rest, why on earth did you do this competition?! That was stupid!” She started to heckle her as she usually would whenever someone was hurt. 

Azlyn just chuckled to her friends. “Next time I hope I’m together with you guys.”

Roll frowned, but gave her cousin a curt nod. “Yes, the next time you get a mission from the Scions, you call us. I don’t care if I’m fishing.” 

Kida pointed to Roll. “Do you?” 

To which her cousin sighed. “Well—maybe not when I’m fishing.”

The trio laughed together, as they finally made their way back to Gridania. They went straight to the apartments where Kida wrapped Azlyn in blankets and forced her to rest for the next several days. 

She would have probably slept most of the time had Roll not woken her up to do menial tasks around the apartment. From moving her sore muscles to doing low impact exercises, she was slowly on the mend. Roll also practiced her new healing arts upon her, using her floating astronomer’s globe to help alleviate any pain she felt. 

Azlyn also found herself with a letter from G’raha answering her from last time she wrote. She gave a bemused laugh at his letter, and the same gold piece in the letter. He also wrote her an extensive report on the gold piece and it’s history within Allagan society. 

“He totally missed the point.” Azlyn finally murmured, drawing Kida’s attention from her leatherwork. 

“Who missed what point?” 

Azlyn chuckled, lifting the dissertation she received. “I was trying to give Raha a gold coin for his own collection, but he sent me back a thorough detailing of it’s historic value. I suppose that’s what I get for writing to the historian of Allagan studies.” 

Kida laughed. “What a goofball!”

Azlyn pulled the papers into her chest with a warm smile. “Yeah, but he wouldn’t be Raha if he didn’t go off on his tangents. Kida could you hand me my satchel?” 

The girl did as was requested, and Azlyn went straight to writing. She started to tell him all about her experience with the Scions, and her first mission, along with a thorough detailed report of her witnessing a primal getting summoned. She made sure to mention the aether influx and the amount of crystals that were stolen. 

“That should do the trick.” She smiled, sealing the letter with a bit of wax. Signing the top of the letter with G’raha’s name, she handed it to Kida. “Could you please send this for me?” 

“Of course! Do you want anything from the markets?” 

She thought for a moment. “Pineapple.” 

Kida replied, “That’s such an oddball request.” 

“Yeah, but I want a slice.” 

Her staycation continued until the fourth day when she finally felt limber and ready to move. Kida leaned up against her as she prepared in front of the mirror. Her clothes had been mended from the previous battle, the high collar covered her neck, and her glistening armor over her chest, shoulders, waist, thighs and shins looked like brand new. 

“And back to society I go. Anything new I should know about?” Azlyn looked to her friend, while her cousin snacked behind them. 

“Uh...” Both said and then shook their heads. 

“Nah, don’t worry about it.” 

Azlyn quirked her head. “...Really?” 

Roll nodded. “Yeah, it’s nothing important.”

She sighed. “Well, fine. I’m going to head over to Vesper Bay, did you two want to come along?” The only thing that felt like it hadn’t fully healed yet had been the burning sensation on her skin. It was almost like a sunburn, and all she could do now was wait for it to heal naturally. 

“I wouldn’t mind a stroll outside.” Kida replied and held hands with both Roll and Azlyn. As Azlyn started to concentrate on the crystal in Horizon, all three of them started to float up in the air. They were whisked away in the flow until they were brought outside to the slightly hotter temperature of Horizon. 

Roll walked over to a nearby post. “Here, we’ll rent chocobo’s from the porter.” She explained, bringing her cousin over to a woman standing by the corral. “We would like three chocobo’s to Vesper Bay.” 

The woman nodded. “Of course, just one moment.” 

Azlyn looked to her cousin. “Where’s Markarov?” 

Roll sighed, clapping a hand to her cheek. “The poor thing ate too much fish and got sick. He’s currently resting at the stables for a week. For now I travel light.” 

Kida wished she could ride her two wheeled vehicle, but knew if she did it would clearly outpace them. “One day I’ll ride my bike.” 

The porter came back with three chocobo’s saddled for the ride. They all were helped up onto the birds by the stable hands, and the birds led them out of Horizon down the long trail that led to Vesper Bay. 

“Why can’t they get a Crystal hub in Vesper Bay?” Azlyn asked Roll, who was riding beside her. 

Roll frowned, “I think that’s due to the political issues in Ul’dah. I think the monetarists offered to place one but—“

Kida shook her head. “It’d be at a cost of a favor to those money-grubbing lunatics. And the Scions aren’t ones to play favorites in Eorzea.” 

Azlyn started to understand. “So basically the higher ups in Ul’dah won’t help the Scions if they can’t use them at their beck and call. Huh. That’s a bunch of baloney.” 

All three of them agreed.  

The chocobo trip lasted around fifteen minutes, traveling through the terrain and finally down the steep manufactured hill into Vesper Bay. Their birds ran straight to the porter in town, and they paid the service fee to that porter for the ride. 

Azlyn walked over to the lone building near the ocean side. Walking Sands, a place she hadn’t known about until just recently, had now seemed more comfortable to her the more she came. Tataru was humming to herself when they entered, and she exclaimed in shock. 

“Ah! I wish you wouldn’t scare me Iike that!” She reprimanded them. 

Azlyn apologized with a slight bow to her. “Sorry Tataru, is Minfillia or Thancred available?”

The Lalafell nodded, “Yes, I believe they’re going over the aftermath at Camp Drybone. Since you’re here, you can head down. Roll, Kida can you help me in the break room. There’s something that I need.” 

Azlyn bid her friends a quick goodbye, as they diverted down into the break room instead of heading straight to the Solar. 

She slowly opened the door only to hear Thancred arguing. “—My late arrival nearly cost Azlyn her life. I wasn’t there when the Amalj’aa took her prisoner. Yet by some miracle she survived—but does that not excuse the fact that she should never have had to face such dangers alone. I failed her utterly. Just as I’m failing you all...” Azlyn quietly stopped, not wanting to interrupt them. 

She heard Minfillia speak calmly back. “What’s done is done, Thancred. You can ill blame yourself for every—” She stopped talking as she must have noticed the door ajar. “Who’s there?” 

Azlyn reluctantly entered, closing the door behind her with a sheepish expression. “Err—sorry, if you’re busy I can wait outside?” 

Minfillia shook her head, a warm smile graced her lips as she welcomed her. “Nonsense Azlyn, it is good to see you whole and healthy.” 

Thancred was studying her. She nodded to him with a smile of her own. “Plenty of rest, just as the doctor prescribed.” She pumped her arm for good measure, causing Minfillia to chuckle. 

He replied with a warm tone. “Impeccable timing, we were just finalizing everything that occurred, and your heroic exploits.” 

Azlyn quirked her eye, “Heroic exploits?”

Minfillia became serious, her tone changed slightly as she replied. “Thancred has told me everything. You have done well to return to us, but please be careful not to overexert yourself.” 

Azlyn nodded, while Thancred continued in his explanation. “The perils you faced were undeniably great, yet a part of me believes that I had no cause to fear. And now we can put paid to our long investigation. As we understood, the Amalj’aa undertook both the robbery ad the abductions with the aim of summoning their primal, Ifrit.”

Minfillia nodded, “Nor is this tale limited to Ul’dah. Similar incidents have been rife in both Limsa Lominsa an Gridania of late. They say the Bloody Princess of the Sea has triumphed in slaying a primal. The news has spread all throughout Eorzea.” 

Her face went instantly pale. “Oh gods. Why?!” 

Thancred nodded in approval. “A striking beauty with axe in hand cleaved the mighty primal in two, the crack resounding through all of Eorzea. Quite the story telling, eh?” 

She dropped her head into her hands as she became embarrassed. “Please let this be a dream.” 

Minfilla shook her head. “‘Twas no dream, you have done the realm a great deed. Thancred, care to explain why these crimes correlate with the primals?” 

He nodded to her question, “Permit me to explain. Having manifested in the physical realm, primals must consume aether if they are to maintain their presence here. And the stronger they become, the more aether they require. Now, aether exists throughout creation. It flows through all life, and permeates the very air that we breathe.” 

Azlyn knew of this, as she also used that same logic to changed the life’s aether into an offensive spell twice in a single battle. She still suffers from those consequences. 

“Alas this alone will not suffice to sustain the like of Ifrit. Nay, he and his kind require a more concentrated source of aether.” Thancred explained. 

“The crystals.” Azlyn answered, remembering how the boxes of crystals had been absorbed into the crazy moon phenomenon earlier that week. 

Minfillia postulated to her. “Yes, and it is for this reason that incidents involving crystals can often be traced back to a primal.” 

Azlyn thought to herself, no wonder whenever crystals were brought up before her cousin had always asked whether it was for a primal summoning. 

Thancred raised his finger to explain the last point. “Which leaves us with the why of the abductions. To understand this, you must first understand how primals are born.” 

Azlyn thought back to her studies, remembering Ejika talking her ear off when they were younger. 

“When all is well in the world, primals possess no physical form. Their essence is dispersed across the great river of aether.”

Minfillia placed a hand to her hip, she too offered her explanation. “However, when the world is plunged into chaos, those who worship the primals, cry out to their gods for deliverance from suffering. These cries serve as a beacon toward which a primal’s essence is irresistibly drawn, it it this coming together—or ‘aetheric coalescence’— which grants the beings physical forms.” 

Azlyn tapped her chin in thought. “Meaning it grows stronger the more it is worshiped. The more numbers, the higher chances of a stronger belief.” 

Thancred nodded. “But the primals are seldom satisfied with such reverence as their adherents freely give, and in order to gain more power, they do not scruple to create followers. They do this by ‘tempering’ mortals—a process to which you yourself subjected.”

Azlyn though back to the blue flames that had been brought upon her and all of the platoon of men. She remembered their strange reactions afterwards, and frowned. “Tempered.” 

Thancred sighed. “Indeed.” 

Minfillia explained in more detail. “Yet even as Ifrit took your comrades in his thrall, you alone remained unaffected. This is thanks to the power you possess—the Echo. We know not the why of it, but those blessed with the Echo are immune to primal influence. It is thought a greater power protects us.”

Azlyn remembered back to Minfillia mentioning why the Echo would be beneficial to her when dealing with the primals. “Ah. I can understand why the blessed help handle the primals now.” 

Thancred crossed his arms, he had a serious look upon his face. “The recent incidents all share a common trait: meticulous planning. Such elaborate designs are a new development, and one which fills me with an unshakable sense of foreboding.”

The head of the Scions shrugged her arms out as if it couldn’t be helped. “While I share your concern, my presiding feeling is one of relief at your safe return. Ah, the Immortal Flames assured me that they will deal with the rest of the aftermath in Drybone, so you need not concern yourself with that. I suppose you’ll be busier now Azlyn, as people start to realize your identity as the hero who felled Ifrit. I fear you will have nary a moment to yourself!”

Minfillia walked around to the opposite side of her desk, as Azlyn’s face went flush. Of course she’d be talked about like some heroic bedtime tale. She wished there had been a way to cover her face during the whole thing. 

Thancred walked over to her, he stopped at her side and gave her a gesture to follow him. She quirked her eye at him, but followed him nonetheless. When they were outside the Solar did he sigh. “Whether she intended to or no, Minfillia neglected to tell you something—something I think it would be best you heard from one of us.” 

Azlyn crossed her arms. “What’s going on?”

He didn’t know how to put it plainly, so he stoically explained. “It concerns the tempered abductees that were rescued—I am sorry to report that all are to be put to death, the Flames with whom you were imprisoned included. Needless to say, this information must not be made known to the public.”

Her shock must have been apparent as he leaned against the wall. He was frustrated by the whole ordeal himself. “I swear to you that we would not do this if there were any other recourse—but once a man is tempered, he is tempered for life. His very existence lends strength to the primal whom he cannot choose but worship. And so we Scions continue our fight, that no more innocents need be sacrificed, I hope that you will continue to stand with us Azlyn.” 

She felt a few tears fall down her cheeks, as she nodded. She went to wipe them in frustration. “I un-understand.”

Thancred clenched his fist, as he looked to the side. “I should be going, I must offer my apologies to the Flame general for the losses his people suffered.”

Azlyn sniffled, trying to dry her tears. “Please give him my regards and condolences.” 

Thancred gave her a small smile. “Till next time.” He waved goodbye to her, leaving her at the entrance to the Solar. She watched him leave, only for him to stop short and look up the stairs. “Gods forgive me—how many more lives? Lousioix would never have allowed this to happen. I have to do better. I have to be stronger.” 

She waited until he was out of sight. How frustrating this was for not only him, but for her as well. All those people—and there wasn’t anything they could do? She felt her nails digging into her palm. She could understand his feelings, and looked down to the hard floor.

0