57 l Shadow of Darkness
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A vast canvas of a black silhouette welcomed her. Bright sparkling stars surrounded her from up and above. It oddly reminded her of a kaleidoscope, the way each of the stars twinkled in a vibrance of colors—different arrays of light that bounced off one another to deceive the viewer to what actual color they could be. She looked away from them, and down to herself and widened her eyes in shock.

Cracks. Her right side displayed quite an extensive break in her hand, that spread and spider-webbed further up into her arm. She wondered if this was what they meant by aetherial cracks, and started to see the energy slowly seep from them. It almost looked like stardust to her, as it soared from her and up into the universe above. Beneath her the magic circle with three of the circles filled with hovering crystals. Each one she received after fights around Eorzea.

With more time to explore given the opportunity, Azlyn knelt to the floor, and noticed the magic circle’s splintering. These damages, however, were small in magnitude. Given how the energy from her arm soared up and into the space, Azlyn had a feeling it was slowly repairing itself in this spot—wherever this happened to be.

Her examination was short lived, as a pair of footsteps alerted her. She snapped her head over her shoulder seeing a black hooded figure standing a bit away. Their hood was up, and they had an upside down crescent shaped mask covering the top portion of their face. They didn’t speak, nor take a step closer. Only watched.

Slowly Azlyn rose up from her spot, wondering who this person was—and why would an Ascian be in this recurring vision of hers. “Who are you?” She asked, quirking her head.

The figure mimicked her head quirk, before they raised their arm up. A gloved hand extended out to Azlyn. Their lips never moved, however a surge of energy appeared in their palm. They released it forward, propelling it straight to Azlyn. Her feet were frozen in place, and she felt a force of energy pulsate into her. It was a strange sensation—almost like when someone would charge a battery—she looked down to her arm once more, seeing the cracks slowly shift but not fully seal.

It looked much better than what it had been before.

Her feet started to sink, as the magic circle from her visions disappeared and she started to sink into the great cosmos all around her—falling—floating—stuck in a perpetual drop of slow descent until she couldn’t see anything at all.

Groggily, she forced her lids to open. She couldn’t tell whether this was another dream or back to reality, but it was comfortable wherever she was. A small light had been lit by the cot she was laying on as she tried to gain a sense of her surroundings. She recognized the brick of the wall immediately as ones belonging to the Waking Sands—a small stool had been occupied by the Antecedent herself, her eyes had been closed until a small noise from the cot caught her attention. Azlyn looked up into her purple eyes.

“Thank the Twelve.” Minfillia sighed in relief. “When Yda ran into the Solar exclaiming you collapsed, we became quite a mess trying to figure out what had happened.”

She pulled herself up into a seating position, so that she was on an eye level with the Midlander Hyur woman. Even sitting, she was still about a head taller than her. “How long was I out for Minfillia?”

The Antecedent smile. “Only two hours. The others are working in the other side, but they would be happy to see you are awake.”

She nodded. “Yeah. If only Urianger counted until three, maybe we wouldn’t be here.” She chuckled at her own joke, and then sighed. “It’s not his fault. I promise.” She could see the look of concern on Minfillia’s face.

“He feels incredibly remorseful.” Minfillia sighed, bringing a hand up to her cheek. “As he spoke previously to me, ‘These hands fumbled the fragility of the morning dew’.”

Azlyn started to clench her fists in and out, testing for pain or any stiff motion. She didn’t feel anything that felt odd. “He doesn’t need to feel that way. It’ll be okay.” She then moved both of her legs off the cot so that she was facing Minfillia.

“I actually had a strange vision.” She thought back to that black robed individual who propelled energy at her. They didn’t remind her of the Ascians by any means—however they were powerful. She could still feel the energy in her pulsing.

She frowned, her mind reeling back to Toto-Rak and that other Ascian that tried to kill the three of them. “Minfillia, there’s something I’ve been meaning to tell you. Roll, Kida, and I decided not to inform Papalymo and Yda—just because we didn’t want to alarm them.”

The antecedent quirked her head. “What is it?”

She started from the beginning of Toto-Rak, and what they found at the end of the path. The Ascian, Lahabrea who waited for them—for her. “There was black robed Ascian with a red mask whom waited for us within the depths of Toto-Rak. He was behind the Sylph Elder getting caught in a banemite cocoon in that room when we stumbled upon him. He called himself Lahabrea. And he seemed eager to get rid of us to quicken their plans—whatever that means.” Azlyn crossed her arms, as she thought back to the monologue he gave. Something about bedtime tales for children. It was nonsense to her.

“Beg pardon?” Minfillia gave her another worried look. “A man named Lahabrea, sporting a red mask and robed in black…? Twelve preserve.”

Azlyn fidgeted her fingers. “I think we’ll run into him again. It’s just—a strange feeling I have in my gut.” She sighed. “I wish I could tell you more, however it was just enough for us to get out of there unharmed.”

She acknowledged her statement with a firm nod of her head. She raised a hand to her chin as she looked to the side. “Prior to the Calamity, the Ascians took great pains to remain hidden. Why would they choose to cast off their veil of secrecy now?”

“Is there anything I can do to help?” Azlyn offered, however the blonde-haired woman shook her head to the suggestion.

“You’ve done more than enough to let me know. We must take advantage of the present lull in primal hostilities and investigate this Lahabrea—learn all we can of him and his designs. I dread to thi—”

A shrill shriek echoed in the Waking Sands jolting both from their spots. Minfillia and Azlyn jumped up, running out to the source of the scream where all the Scions had also reconvened at the center hallway. Azlyn found Tataru on the ground, she scrambled backward on the carpet. Azlyn placed herself slightly in front of her, before widening her eyes in disbelief. She wondered if her eyes were playing tricks on her as a floating, green leafy sylph shuddered at Tataru’s shriek. One glance was all it took for Azlyn to realize who this little sylph was.

“…Noraxia? What is this one doing here?” Azlyn asked, relaxing in her stance. Minfillia looked over to her before she turned back to the sylph in question.

“A sylph…in Thanalan.” Minfillia was doubly surprised. 

Noraxia, floated over, as Azlyn took a step away from Tataru who had been frightened. Her expression on her leaf face looked distressed as they approached them. “At long last, this one finds walking one Azlyn. This one travelled to one’s home—only to be turned here by walking one Roll.” She lifted her tiny sylph hands explaining. “This one is most dependable of these ones! Is sent by elder one Frixio to help walking ones!”

Papalymo looked to Yda in surprise. “Well I’ll be.”

Yda shrugged.

Urianger looked down to the sylph, and then back over to Azlyn. “It is good to see you awake.”

Azlyn nodded. “I feel much better.

Noraxia’s voice brought all their attention back to them as they did a small curtsy for Tataru. “This one is called Noraxia. This one comes as a friend. Let these ones by friends!” She then began to do a simple dance in greeting.

Tataru hopped up off the ground, she raised her hand up in a hesitant wave. She looked unsure of how to proceed as she stammered back. “P-pleasure to meet you…Noraxia.”

Y’shtola lifted both of her hands up, glad to see it wasn’t a threat. “Well I now know what will wake Azlyn when she falls unconscious.” She winked over to her before moving to Azlyn’s side. She looked down to her right arm, and curiously tilted her head. Her white ears perked as she surveyed her arm. “Curious.”

With Tataru taken care of, she hesitantly went with Yda and Papalymo to show Noraxia around the Waking Sands. Now all that remained in the central hall were Urianger, Minfillia, Y’shtola, and Azlyn.

Azlyn raised an eyebrow to Y’shtola’s comment. In fact, the whole group that remained seemed intrigued by what she said. 

“Urianger, take a look at her palm, if you would.”

He walked over, taking her arm out from Y’shtola’s grasp before he started to murmur in thought. “Hmmm. Puzzle pieces have returned to their former place. Most intriguing.”

Minfillia sighed in relief. “This sounds like good news, I hope.”

Y’shtola nodded, looking back to Azlyn with a smile. “Perhaps the jolt Urianger sent caused your aether to hasten the healing process. Of course, we weren’t trying to render you unconscious in the process, but the end results are clear.” 

Urianger gave a light smile. “The maintaining and preservation of hope is key to bringing order back to all. With persistent treatment and encouragement using aether transference, perhaps the cracks can be sewn shut once more.”

“What I’m hearing is, we’re going to be doing more counting up to three.” Azlyn sighed.

Urianger raised a finger. “Next time I shall make it to three.”

“You know that’s what all churigions say, but they never actually do follow it.” She retorted back. “Just say you’re going on two next time.” Azlyn finally laughed.

Y’shtola shook her head, a playful smile on her lips. “All is well that ends well.”

Minfillia clapped her hands happily. “I must admit, we were both surprised into action by Tataru’s shriek. She’s as ready to express her fright as she is to express—everything else!” The four of them chuckled. “Not all of us are forged of the same steel as you, I’m afraid.”

Azlyn waved her comment aside. Smiling, she said. “We all get frightened, after all we’re only people. There as things that I get scared of, so she shouldn’t worry too much about it.”

“You are correct.” Minfillia nodded back. She hummed in delight as she looked back to the rest of the Waking Sands. She brimmed with confidence. “But it takes all kinds  to make a family, and it pleases me to no end to see ours continue to grow. One by one, the people of Eorzea are beginning to unite, drawn to the hope that shines within a certain someone we all know.” She chuckled in her hand.

Urianger agreed with her assessment. “A bright dawn to bring a new day.”

“You’ll inflate her ego if you two keep going.” Y’shtola warned, seeing the red tinge the Au Ra’s cheeks. “The Bloody Princess of the Sea needs reminders to take it easy for not only herself, but the people who depend on her.”

Azlyn choked at the nickname. “Please—I promise I won’t get a big ego—but I beg you to please stop calling me the Bloody Princess. It was one time, I swear!”

They laughed at her modesty.

Minfillia looked away, back to her Solar. “May I have a word with you Azlyn?”

She nodded, hoping the teasing would end with their group’s dismissal. Y’shtola and Urianger left to go back to whatever they had been doing previously while Minfillia led Azlyn up into the solar. When the doors shut behind her, she walked over to her desk and let her hand trail the top of the polished wood. “In regard to our Ascian, I believe a darkness threatens to engulf this light you possess. Never have I doubted the Ascian’s presence, but that they have grown so brazen as to carry out their work in plain sight fills me with a sense of deep foreboding.”

Azlyn was under the same feeling. Something about this whole thing just felt wrong to her. Like a wheel had been set into motion and was careening down a steep hill. “Like I said, what can I do to help?”

The blonde sighed, looking to the other side of the solar. “I am afraid there is no rest for the weary, Azlyn. We must drive further into the motivation of the masked man—the Ascian known as Lahabrea. This is an ideal moment to do so, while or hands are not bound dealing with another primal.” She sighed, “However given your current condition, I fear it would be folly to send you right after you collapsed.” 

The Au Ra turned her attention back to her palm, remembering the vision where she could see the cracks—and the robed figure giving her a strange burst of energy. She had a feeling that something changed within her, but she wasn’t positive of what change that would be. “Thank you for the concern, but I’ll be okay.” She then brought her head up to find herself staring back into Minfillia’s eyes—they were gauging her, watching her closely. “Trust me.” 

There was a moment of silence between them, before the Antecedent sighed. She raised her hand up, her finger pointed up as she explained. “Alright, if you say so.” Minfillia jumped right back into the swing of things. “At present, we know little and less about the Ascians—only that destruction follows in their wake. I should not be surprised if these beings are behind the chaos that racks the realm. If my fears prove to be reality, we must do all in our power to stop them.” Bringing her hand back down to her chest, she furried her brow—the worried expression growing when she got lost in her thoughts. 

Azlyn tried to assuage her concerns. “Don’t worry Minfillia. Everything will be alright.” 

Minfillia blinked, returning to Azlyn with a small smile. “I hope so. I will send word to all the Grand Companies in the meantime. Why don’t you stop by the Immortal Flames since you’re in Thanalan? If I hear from the other companies on any potential sightings, I’ll give you a call.” 

She nodded, giving the Antecedent a small wave of her hand. She decided just to teleport straight to Ul’dah’s plaza from within the solar—something like a ritual of sorts now—as Minfillia waved at her disappearing form. 

“Be safe Azlyn.” Was the last thing she heard before the spell took effect, dragging her out from the solar into the shaded alcove of Ul’dah’s Steps of Nald. A large Aetheryte welcomed her, as well as several other people who used the crystal to teleport around the vast city of ‘wealth’. She could have used the aetheryte like the rest of the residents, but she didn’t need it. After all the Adventurer’s Guild and the Immortal Flames’ building happened to be right outside the plaza where the main Aetheryte was situated. Whether it was done on purpose or planned in advance, it was quite the efficient placement. 

She made her way out to the main road, following the path around until she climbed the steps into the building next door. There were many officers standing by, helping the residents of Ul’dah or their enlisted with whatever they needed help. She went to the side, avoiding the lines, and hoped to find someone a bit higher in rank. 

Her luck was on point, as her intuition led her to a fellow standing guard by a set of doors. She approached him with an expectant expression. “Pardon me, my name is Azlyn—I was wondering if you might help in my investigation?” 

He seemed indifferent to her—that was until she introduced herself as Azlyn. When her name popped up, he instantly went wide-eyed and listened to her words with great interest. 

“Azlyn—you mean the Azlyn? The slayer of Ifrit?” 

She darted her eyes side to side, making sure there wasn’t anyone nearby that could hear her. “That’s me. However I would prefer not to be called out—if it can be helped.” 

He nodded enthusiastically. “Of course! I’m Commander Swift of the Immortal Flames—it’s wonderful to finally put a face to the name. I’ve read all about your biography in the recent novella, and I am such a fan!” 

“Novella? ...Biography?” 

He reached behind him to his waist belt, drawing out a small book and a quill. “Oh yes! It was just published in Vylbrand and a merchant brought over a large stock of them over to Thanalan and Gridania. I bought a copy myself, and it’s such a thrilling life you lead!” He handed over the book and quill, with expectant eyes. 

Slowly, she opened the cover looking down at the quick excerpt within. “Oh—oh...oh no...” She groaned, before she glanced up to the Commander. “You want me to sign this?” She held up the quill with a worried glance. 

“Yes please! It will be my treasure.” 

Resigned, she slowly penned her name in a corner of the table of contents, and returned it back to him with a sour taste in her mouth. The fates were mocking her now—making small books on her adventures... 

Commander Swift paid no heed to her pain, as he placed his book and quill back into his belt. “Thank you very much! Now what can I do to help you!” 

She nervously chuckled, “Uh—right. Do you have any information or potential sightings of a black robed individual in Thanalan? Probably wears a mask to cover his face under his black hood. And he may laugh way too much?” 

 The Commander of the Immortal Flames thought back. “The masked man? Ah—now that you mention it, there was a recent sighting near eastern Thanalan.” 

Azlyn crossed her arms over her chest. Eastern Thanalan would bring them back to Camp Drybone—and she did recall there was quite a debacle over there about two weeks ago. 

He continued his report. “A Brass Blade stationed at Highbridge described him in detail when he alerted us to the suspicious activity. I would point you to the witness, but I’m afraid he died not two days ago, slain by a marauding horde of Qiqirn. Fate can be a cruel mistress.” Commander Swift shook his head. 

“Strange indeed.” Azlyn narrowed her eyes. A horde of marauding Qiqirn killing the only eye witness? Something was fishy about that. 

“Oh but don’t be so quick to despair. Being an airship landing, Highbridge sees heavy traffic. Folk are always coming and going, and some among them may well have caught a glimpse of your target.” 

She nodded, it was the best bet she had given the one earlier was dead. “It’s better than nothing. Thank you Commander.” 

He smiled to her. “You could do worse than to speak with a merchant named Hihibaru. The fellow’s always starved for customers, and he’d no doubt welcome your attention, whether or not you have coin or the mind to spend it.”

Azlyn bowed, before she teleported to Camp Drybone. She remembered that Highbridge was the same long bridge she, Roll, Kida, and Arenvald took over from the South Shroud when they were on their way to complete Copperbell Mines. Slowly she was getting better acquainted with Eorzea—and how everything went together. There were pockets of areas she still had not been to, but in time she’d venture to them. 

For now though, her destination led her straight to Highbridge. The sun had been blazing up above, just after two or three in the afternoon. It was roasting—the heat sweltering off the barren grounds as she walked down the dusty trail. The path was straight forward to Highbridge, as she climbed up the bridge. She spotted a lone Lalafellin sitting on by himself with a stack of goods behind him. The wooden bench he occupied looked dusty from the day’s wind kicking up the dirt. It appeared that he’d been hurting for company. 

She noticed another man checking on the building materials around Highbridge nearby, but he was keeping to himself. 

“Excuse me?” Azlyn reached the Lalafellin. “Care for some company?” 

The man’s eyes lit up with careful regard. “Welcome to Highbridge adventurer. If you don’t mind the company of myself, please.” He gestured to the empty bench. Gratefully she took the opportunity to sit, as her feet were burning in her boots. “Is there anything that you seek? I, Hihibaru, can provide it—probably!” 

“...Hihibaru?” 

He nodded. “The one and only!” 

She smiled over to him. “Do you possibly have some traveling boots in your merchandise?” Thinking back to her shoe wear, it had been a bit since she found a pair of good travel boots. She had the boots from her set she bought in Moraby Docks, however those were with Roll. She was going to mend them, but she’d been a bit too busy with the house.

“A pair for you? Of course, I shall grab a few for you to peruse through!” He ran off behind the crates, and she could hear him shuffling through the boxes with earnest. The other man standing by looked over to her with a grateful nod. 

“He’s been sore for customers.” 

Azlyn smiled. “As an adventurer, merchants like Hihibaru are a blessing for us. We never know if we’re going to run into a merchant. I’m just happy it worked out.” 

The tall Hume, his skin a dark tan from being in the sun for long hours nodded to her. 

Hihibaru ran over, carrying at least five different boxes. There were different types of boots from short ankle ones to a long pair of thigh highs. She browsed his selection with an observant gaze. “These are all good quality. How much for this pair, and this pair here?” She pointed to the dark brown long pair of boots and a black pair of short black boots with buckles on the side. 

“35 Gil for the black pair, 55 Gil for the brown pair.” 

Azlyn plucked her coin purse, pulling out the Allagan gold pieces from her bag. She was counting the coins quietly to herself before the two watched her with horrified eyes. 

“Miss!” The Hume rushed over to cover her from the sight of others passing by. “Are you trying to get mugged in daylight!” 

Azlyn paused in her counting, looking up to him with confusion. “What are you talking about?” 

Hihibaru widened his eyes at the sheer amount. “One of those costs 2500 Gil!” 

“Ehhhhh?!” Now she was the one who was confused. “This isn’t 1 Gil!?” 

The other man shook his head. “No! Have you been giving these out?!” 

Azlyn thought back to the few times she went to the merchants. She wondered why they were quizzically giving her more coins back alongside her purchases. She pulled out her other bag, and produced a few coins. “This silver piece?” 

“500 Gil.” Hihibaru explained. 

She pulled out one of her bronze pieces. “This?” 

“100 Gil.” She used that to pay Hihibaru, and then decided to check her other currency. 

Azlyn lifted one of the Gil she had. “This?” 

“That is the current currency—1 Gil.” The Hume male explained. 

“O-oh...” She stared at her coins with a bit of confusion. “They all look the same to me. How was I supposed to know?” 

Hihibaru gave a shaky laugh, giving her the change left over from her purchase. He passed over her boots with a smile. “You’re bad with money. Nald’Thal above must have been worried for you if you were in Ul’dah. The merchant over there would never tell you otherwise.” 

The Hume waited for Azlyn to put away her coins before relaxing. “I saw my life flash before my eyes. Miss, you ought to be more careful. Do you come from a rich house?” 

Azlyn shook her head. “No, my cousins just gave me money since I was bad with it.” 

“You know I don’t think giving you more money when you already have problems with money is a good thing.” The Hume shook his head. “Are you not from Eorzea?” 

“Sharlayan. But I never really paid attention to the money thing—it was just something that I used when I needed to.” Azlyn explained. “I do a lot of oddball jobs. Speaking of, I’m on one right now.” She started to describe the black robed individual to them. “I’m looking for a masked individual with black robes. He was last spotted nearby Highbridge. Think you can help me?” 

Hihibaru and the male gave her quite the look. “I don’t think I have one of him in stock—” He laughed at his joke. “Hmm...well there’s this rumor going around.” The merchant Lalafellin started to place her inventory back behind the bench. “Some of the merchants nearby have stated that a masked devil has appeared not only here in eastern Thanalan, but all over. He wears black robes—which doesn’t give you a lot to work on. I’m sorry.” He sighed. “We’ve been riddled by constant raids from the Qiqirns. We barely have enough time to survive, much less make ends meet. It’s almost as if it had been all orchestrated.” Hihibaru shook his head. “No one wants to come within malls of this place out of fear.” 

Azlyn frowned, as she changed out her short boots for the long brown ones. They were nice and cool on her feet compared to the worn out sole on her previous set. She placed her other boots in her bag, and looked to Hihibaru. “Thank you.” She pulled out a silver piece, handing it to both him and the Hume male. “Please use this to help restore Highbridge. I’ll make sure to tell my adventurer friends to help buy wares from the merchants here as well. It would be unfortunate to see this place go under after all the effort that’s been placed into it.” 

The Hume nodded, thankful for her consideration. Hihibaru also looked appreciative. “Thank you Adventurer. If I hear anything more, I’ll let you know the next time you run on through.” 

She smiled. “Thank you.” 

Since she was now at a dead end, Azlyn decided to check out the full area of Highbridge herself, wanting to get a general scope of things. The Qiqirn’s seemed quite the problem for this area, and if they were putting pressure on Highbridge—it meant that something was pushing them to do so. It was just figuring out who. Oddly enough, she had a feeling she knew exactly who it was. 

She spent an hour looking around, before deciding to call a break. She slowly made her way back to Highbridge, wondering if she’d stumble across Lalahbrea herself. 

Of course that wouldn’t be the case. Sighing, she walked back to the entry of Highbridge, only to find the Hume there—but no Hihibaru. She sat on the bench stretching out her legs. “You know I don’t think I know your name?” 

The male turned to her. “Helmhart.” He replied. 

“It’s nice to meet you officially Helmhart. Where’d Hihibaru go?” 

Helmhart crossed his arms over his chest. “Him? He felt bad that you paid so much money, so he decided to check out somethings on his own. Oh...?” He stopped to see his fellow friend running up the steps in a hurry. “Isn’t that him now?” 

Azlyn’s attention was drawn to the same sight, a running Lalafell who sprinted up the bridge, his face red with sweat. “A-adventurer!” He heaved several long breaths, before bending over at his knees. “Honest-to-gods, I have information for you. This masked man is real, I saw him with my own two eyes!”

“Where?” She hoped that the merchant didn’t catch his eye—she didn’t know how’d she feel if Hihibaru was killed for his foolishness. 

“I was minding my own business, setting up for my evening stroll when I noticed a column of smoke rising from a cliff at Thal’s Respite. Curious, I took myself there to find a masked man—your masked man, I’m sure of it—standing by a fire. As if in answer, some Qiqirn appeared soon after, and the group began talking at length. I’m afraid I was out of earshot to hear much of anything.” He rubbed his face with his handkerchief. Azlyn dropped to her knees, grabbing both of his shoulders. She gave him a relieved look. 

“Thank the Twelve you didn’t catch him attention.” She smiled. “Pretend you never saw him—or this interaction. Speak of it to no one. I’ll go look further into it, and please—keep yourself safe Hihibaru.” 

He nodded to her. “Well—this might be foolish of an idea—but maybe you can recreate a similar meeting. I believe your masked man used the smoke stack as a signal to draw in the beast men. If you used a smoldering coal to start a fire, you might be able to get more information from the rat’s mouth.” 

“That’s —not a bad idea. Thank you Hihibaru. Okay, I’ll be off.” She stood up, bowing quickly to him, and running up the bridge. The sooner she got this information, the better. She travelled a bit north, away from Highbridge and past the path that led straight to Thal’s Respite. She remembered this path from before, and climbed the tall boulders by the towering mountains nearby. She could already feel the temperature cooling the closer so got to the entrance of the south Shroud. 

“Alright—hopefully they come.” She hoped, setting up a few coals that smoldered into a small fire. She watched the fire rise until it turned into a large pillar of smoke floating in the early evening sky. She pulled her arcanima book out, perusing the pages as she waited. She was learning a new spell when a groan caught her attention beneath her. She looked down to see a Corpse Brigadier throw a knife at her. 

She reacted, diving to the side before her enemy set upon her. She rolled over, gaining access to her book, drawing forth the spell pattern to summon her topaz carbuncle. The trouble she was expecting had come to her as she wanted, however this individual wasn’t a Qiqirn. She exhaled. 

 “You’re not the one I wanted to see.” She commanded her topaz carbuncle to attack, as she attempted to get some distance between them. He was a quick assailant, dodging and moving away from her carbuncles assault. She looked around the area, seeing some shale and a higher degree of hill up the mountain she climbed. It was her best shot.

She took it at a slant, running alongside the slim edge and making sure not to slip and fall. Her new boots had more traction and could easily navigate. Her carbuncle followed her when she gave a quick follow command, the quick hand spell she flicked into manifestation. She could hear that her assailant chased after, throwing his knives at whatever vitals he could hit. 

She weaved, ducked down, moved in small increments to block and avoid his attacks. It wasn’t until she was higher up the grade when she started to one of her ruin spells at her disposal. She wanted him to move over, and the only way to get him over was to force him. She aimed to him, hoping with her slow cast that he’d easily dodge. 

Her assailant saw the attack, jumping with ease over to the spot she predicted. A smirk played upon her lips. “I wanted you to go there.” She fizzled her first spell, and quickcast a stronger Ruin that she directed into the ground just beneath his feet. Her Topaz Carbuncle darted to the side, also attacking the ground she indicated. 

The continuous attack on the ground caused one of the major effects to happen: As part of the shale, it was shaky at best. Given the amount of activity over top it, the potential of a rock slide would occur. She couldn’t exactly list probabilities like K’lyhia could, but she could tell it was in her favor. 

Her enemy started to get caught in the rolling rumble, his foot had fallen in between a fissure in the mountain they’d made with their attacks. Azlyn tried to navigate around the spilling of rocks and slipping silt beneath her too. Seeing her struggle, the man pulled out his knife, throwing it at her retreating form. She felt the metal bite into her upper back, but she expected it. She pushed through the pain, darting around the slipping shale, moving over to edge of the cliff. The path that led to Thal’s Respite must have been at least ten feet down, and she knew she had no choice but to slide down. It was either suffer a potential broken bone, or get buried under the rubble with her new friend.

She let her body drop, as her feet and hands tried to snag whatever she could. Her whole body hurt, but it meant she was still alive. 

She crumpled down on the path, wondering how anyone could jump from such high places without getting hurt. Reaching over to her back, she grabbed the hilt of the dagger, and pulled it out. It probably wasn’t the smartest decision, as the blood pooled out from her open wound. She casted several physick spells in a row, feeling the low potency of the healing take an effect. 

Silence on the pass greeted her. She had given her assailant a potentiality of a chance to survive that rockslide—but her carbuncle should have stayed behind to deter him from getting to her while she healed up her major wound. She planned it to go this way, albeit her body aching. 

Azlyn pulled herself up, dragging herself back up the path to find a way back up the now changed landscape. She could see the dust had scattered high into the sky, settling like a fog might on a cold morning. By the time she found her Topaz Carbuncle circling an area, she relaxed. 

It was informing her that the assailant was buried beneath the rubble. She crouched down, careful as she began to dig down. The likelihood of him surviving was slim, but she did need some sort of clue to help her in her investigation. 

When she did. find his body, it was well into the evening. She raised a small torchlight up as she heaved a long sigh of relief. “Who are you?” She murmured, searching through the pockets of his clothes. She could tell his skin had been tanned from the long exposure to the sun. He was bulkier, built with muscles. Based upon her diagnosis, he was a Highlander Hyur—and young. She removed his headwrap to stare at his young features, a deep frown on her face. “Twelve preserve.” She murmured, before shaking her head. The only thing she could find on his possession had been a lone wrapped parchment with a particular emblem. 

She scanned the papers, before she finally recognized the writing. “This is a written prayer. This name—Rhalgr...the destroyer if I remember correctly is the deity of Ala Mhigo.” Azlyn tapped her chin in thought. “It’s odd for someone from Eorzea to revere Rhalgr—so he must be Ala Mhigan. But why is an Ala Mhigan attacking me? Unless he was sent by the Ascian to stop me.”  

She sat down by the corpse, looking through the papers. Her topaz carbuncle laid beside her keeping watch. The dirt and rocks were already starting to bother her within her clothing, but she had other matters to attend to before cleaning up. 

Reaching up to her linkpearl, she called her cousin. “Roll?” 

She waited, before the line connected. “Speaking.” 

“Hey you. How’s the house?” 

There was a brief pause over the line. “I just finished the downstairs. My retainers brought over most of my furniture that we placed in the common area. You coming home tonight?” 

Azlyn smiled, a bit sad that she probably was going to have to camp out that night. A long bath back home would have been a great idea. “Probably not tonight, but do you think you could help me? I’m trying to rack my brain on something.” 

“What’s the problem?” Her cousin asked her in response. 

“Well I was attacked by a rogue just now, and the only information I have is that he’s my only connection who could lead me to the guy who hired him to kill me.” She avoided mentioning Lahabrea’s descriptions or name so she wouldn’t alarm her cousin. “I found some papers on him that had a prayer for Rhalgr written on them—which means my assailant was Ala Mhigan. He’s quite dead now, so I’m not sure what my next move is.” 

Her cousin seemed to process everything she said, and finally replied. “Huh. Why don’t you just go to Little Ala Mhigo? There are plenty of the refugees that fled Ala Mhigo when the Garlean’s took control. Look for that old guy that helped us last time. He might know the person who attacked you.” 

Azlyn snapped her fingers. “Oh! You know what, you’re right! Why didn’t I think of that!” 

“Because you’re over thinking.” Roll replied back. Azlyn could already see her cousin giving a small smile. “Who is trying to kill you?”

She scoffed at her cousin’s question. “I’m trying to figure that out—probably no one important to remember.” It was kind of true, so she wasn’t exactly lying. She considered Lahabrea less than a bug—one that needed to be taken care of quickly to ensure peace. 

“Right.” Roll said coolly, before sighing. “Alright. call me if you need anything.” 

Azlyn laughed, poking the last of the fire with a prodding stick. She wanted to wait for the embers to go down before pouring water over them. “I thought you didn’t want to be disturbed for the next couple of weeks?” 

Her cousin paused. “You’re right. I’ll see you when I see you next.” 

The linkpearl call dropped, leaving Azlyn with her thoughts. “Onward to Little Ala Mhigo.” 

0