74 l Austerities of the Elements
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Azlyn, Roll, Kida and Nin-Nin arrived in Camp Bronze Lake without delay, they were quiet given the recent bomb Y’shtola revealed to them after the fight with Titan. The Empire and their involvement with Lahabrea...The combination of these two parties warranted some kind of response, but which type? No one seemed to have an answer for it. 

The awkward tension between them remained, even as the Scion; Y’shtola arrived after ten minutes. They were sitting in different spots—Kida by the central fountain facing the Aetheryte crystal, Roll stood by the pillar with her arms crossed, Azlyn and Nin-Nin were signing back and forth amongst themselves—but the conversation wasn’t anything they needed to continue. 

“If I didn’t know any better, I would think you four lost something.” Y’shtola commented, looking to each of their worn out faces. “I’ve finished conducting my investigation—and for the time being it would be best to leave the Ascian matters to Thancred.” 

They walked over to her, hoping their conversation wouldn’t get overheard by the locals. “Is he continuing the investigation then?” Azlyn asked, she mimicked her cousin’s body language with her arms over her chest. 

“Minfillia said so over the linkpearl. She also mentioned that even though word will have already reached Maelstrom Command, protocol requires that a representative of our order informs the high commander of the mission’s success.” Y’shtola smiled, and looked straight to Kida. “Roll and Kida has rightfully earned that honor.” 

The archer groaned, “Why meeeee!” Kida rubbed her sore muscles. “I hate reports!”

“Probably because you keep neglecting to do them?” Roll reminded her, before she nodded to Y’shtola. “Then we’ll be returning to Limsa Lominsa.” 

Azlyn looked to her cousin. “Do you two want company?” 

Y’shtola shook her head, “—Actually, Azlyn there’s something else in mind for you. You two better get going.” 

Kida pouted, and Roll chuckled her typical one-syllabic laugh. “We’ll be off.” They both waved and teleported away. 

When they were both gone, the Miqo’te scion addressed Nin-Nin. “Thank you for your assistance.” 

Nin-Nin nodded, and somehow sensing it was his time to leave, he gestured his goodbye to Azlyn. « I know when I’m not needed. Get some rest. You look dead. »

The Au Ra rolled her eyes at his lack of decorum. “Thanks Nin-Nin. I hope we get to work together again.” 

« I’m sure we will. Bye. » The black-clad man teleported away without a moment’s notice. She wasn’t sure where he was going, but one way or another they’d run into each other again.

They were the only remaining ones left from the operation, and Y’shtola gave her a long look over. “Sorry to ask this of you after a long, harboring fight with a primal—but my sister in Gridania called me in regards to you.” The Scion shrugged. “For what? I’m not quite sure, but she said all would be revealed when you meet her in Apkallu Falls.” 

Azlyn quirked her head to the side, “That sounds...ominous?” 

“It’s not. Knowing my sister, it’ll probably deal with her studies.” Y’shtola explained. “Recently she’d heard tales of a famous arcanist who has had the tempering experience of defeating the primal Ifrit.” 

This sounded like she was referring to her. Azlyn scratched her head. “Oh...I guess my infamy is growing.” 

Y’shtola chuckled. “I’m sure the Mythril Eye also had a hand in that, but don’t worry. This should be easy comparatively to slaying a primal.” The scholar then smiled. “The Sons of Saint Coinarch is the organization she’s with.  I’m sure you’ve heard of them.” 

Azlyn wracked her brain on that one, before snapping her finger. “Ah—right. There was a group by that name. Okay, so who is it that I’ll be seeing?” 

“Y’mhitra. She’ll await for you in Gridania.” 

The Au Ra pulled out her notebook and wrote down the specific details so that she wouldn’t forget. Smiling, she stowed her journal away. “Thanks Y’shtola—sorry you had to be the intermediary.” 

The Scion shrugged, “She just happened to mention you in passing while she was saying hello. I’m sure it will be quite the learning experience for you and them.” Y’shtola stopped mid-speech as her linkpearl went off. The buzzing in her ear continued as the Miqo’te shrugged wordlessly. “I must needs be off—take care in your travels Azlyn. I’m proud of the work you all have done this day.” She walked away—her voice fading off as she spoke with the person who called her. 

Azlyn watched her go, and then stared down at her aching arm. It radiated in pain, but it wasn’t as bad as before. She wondered if it was slowly healing. She squeezed her hand, testing it. “...Still hurts, but manageable.” 

She also wondered if she had gotten a bit stronger than before. After a hard fight she’d be down for the count—but she felt fine. Azlyn then thought back to the crystals she found. “Perhaps I’m getting stronger with the more crystals I gather?” Unfortunately there was a real applicable approach to testing this theory except to just keep trudging forward. 

However she did drink a bit of the aether amplification potion just in case. 

With that settled, she opened a teleport over to Gridania and hopped continents from Vylbrand to Aldenard’s Twelveswood. It was a welcome sight, seeing the comfort of the towering trees protectively covering Gridania. The gentle stream of water trickling through the rivers and the crashing sounds of the falls in the distance helped soothe Azlyn’s massive intake of adrenaline. 

She hadn’t realized how hyped she was until she had arrived in a calmer locale. Taking steady, calming breaths the Au Ra decided it would be best to calm her nerves by walking through town to Apkallu Falls. She travelled northward into Old Gridania, walking down the winding paths of nature to the hidden, peaceful alcove. 

A large pond resided there, with a set of waterfalls pouring into it, a steady and calm atmosphere as researchers and hearers studied in peace. Azlyn looked around to the different groups stationed around, and then her purple eyes fell on a lone Miqo’te reading a book by the pond. She had tanned skin, with a white hair styled in a short a-line cut with sweeping bangs on her right side, her attire seemed familiar to Y’shtola’s—save for the color scheme. 

She approached the sitting scholar. “Are you Y’mhitra?”

The girl looked up from her reading material, a look of confusion crossed her complexion. “I am—may I ask—?!” Before she finished her question she shocked herself into silence and then stood up from the ground. Her eyes, a pretty green, similar again to Y’shtola’s gleamed in excitement. “You must be Azlyn! Well met!” She closed her book with a huge smile. “Thank you for coming to meet me! Y’shtola called to let me know you were on the way! As you know from my sister, I am known as Y’mhitra.” 

Azlyn watched as the young Miqo’te bow to her. “It’s nice to meet you.” The girl returned the greeting back, returning an eastern bow to her. 

Y’mhitra nodded in approval. “Let me explain a bit about myself and what we’re doing. I am a member of the Sons of Saint Coinarch. Ours is a Sharlayan order that seeks the lost knowledge of the Allagan Empire. And in that regard, we have recently made a singularly important discovery at our dig site in Mor Dhona.” 

The Au Ra nodded, now remembering where she’d heard the organization from. G’raha Tia had told her about it countless times before, as he’d probably helped them on several occasions. He was, after all, an Allag Historian buff. “I do recall hearing of your organization before. So, what have you discovered?” 

“We salvaged from the ruins a set of ancients texts describing the existences of a sect of Allagan mages known as Summoners. These were Arcane practitioners said to have the ability to siphon the essences of the primals and manifest this stolen energy as a biddable ally known as an egi.” Y’mhitra looked pleased that Azlyn seemed to be following along with her explanation. 

“Thus the reason why the organization was interested in getting in contact with someone who has dealt with a primal already.” Azlyn nodded. 

The scholar of the Sons of Saint Coinarch placed both of her hands on her hips as she speculated aloud. “Indeed. Should we succeed in resurrecting such arts, then we might well hold in our hands the power to bring this age of conflict to an end. There is, however, as there always must be, one monumental obstacle to realizing this reality.” 

“The accessibility to siphoning the primal’s aetheric essence.” Azlyn concluded, as she wrapped a hand around her chin. This was quite a bit of a conundrum. But there was some light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak. If the Allagan’s from the past were able to have a sect of summoners, it meant siphoning was accomplishable. “But it’s feasible in theory...” She added, and then looked to see the Miqo’te’s expectant gaze. 

Y’mhitra nodded, “Thus, only one who can boast such a daunting achievement under her belt may even begin on the path to becoming a summoner. Do you understand now why I called upon you?” 

Azlyn gave a dry laugh. “Yeah, the picture started to paint itself. Alright. I hope I can live up to your expectations—I can’t promise you a guarantee, but I certainly will try.” 

“Excellent!” She clapped her hands in delight. “Make your way over to southern Thanalan—west of Byregoers Strike. There shall we conduct a ritual of summoning: the Austerities of Flame.” Y’mhitra smiled widely to her, and Azlyn pulled out her many maps within her bag. 

She found her maps for Thanalan, and then opened the scroll up for southern Thanalan. “Here’s where we’ll meet.” The young lass marked it with one of Azlyn’s writing utensils. “I shall go ahead and start preparing.” 

And then she teleported away. Azlyn’s curiosity had been peaked from the moment she started to talk about ancient Allagan techniques and reviving a long art. The Au Ra chuckled deviously. “I bet anything Raha would be ecstatic to hear about this.” 

She thought of the Aetheryte in the Forgotten Springs, as the oasis was a tad bit closer to Byregoers Strike than Little Ala Mhigo, and teleported once more to the third continent residing in Eorzea. Thanalan, hot desert sands that continually baked, even in the midst of winter. 

The Au Ra walked over to the merchant, buying some supplies for her trip into the desert—and also more water for her canteen. During her last time here, she drank all of her water and hadn’t had time to refill it. With everything in order, the young lass travelled into the Sagolii Desert, traveling to Byregoer’s Strike, and heading west from there. Past the large dunes of sand, she spotted a familiar looking Miqo’te setting up a few pieces of equipment. 

“Greetings!” She didn’t turn to her, but she did acknowledge her presence. “I had a feeling this unique opportunity would be nigh impossible for you to ignore.”

Azlyn chuckled as she peered around her. “Oh? how so?”

Y’mhitra grinned. “There’s another scholar in Sharlayan who stated as such.” 

This caused the girl to laugh aloud. “Yeah, I wonder who that bloke was.” 

“You don’t mind if I record this, do you?” Y’mhitra finalized her last piece before shaking the sands off her robes. “I want to send it back to Sharlayan if this works out.” 

Azlyn shrugged. “I don’t mind—just don’t write my name in the reports.” 

The Miqo’te grinned to her. “But I kind of have to?” 

“Ugh.... Can you imagine the amount of fan mail I’ll get afterward?” 

Both of them started to laugh, before Y’mhitra tapped the recording device. “Let us proceed directly to the ritual, shall we?” She pulled out an ancient text and handed it over to the girl. Azlyn immediately recognized the ancient Allagan literature on the cover, and started to auto translate it into her head. “According to the records, the summoners of old would perform these rites in a land in which the naturally dominant element matched the aspect of the avatar they wished to call forth. Only in such a place might one sufficiently shift one’s aetheric balance in the desired direction.” 

Azlyn could feel the sweltering heat. “I’m taking a wild guess—Ifrit?” 

The scholar chuckled. “The element of fire is especially strong here in the Sagolii Desert—I can think of no land more fitting in which to summon an incantation of the Lord of the Inferno.”

“As long as it’s an incantation, and not the actual bloody thing.” She recalled the horrifying scaly monster with fire cracking on it’s maw. 

Y’mhitra walked over to her, pointing to the book and then brought out a green gem for her to have. 

Azlyn accepted it with a curious look. “A soul gem?” 

“Before you begin, I must insist that you accept this. It’s faceted depths do dwell the memories of long-deceased summoners.” 

She nodded, taking the gem and attaching it to the book’s front cover. She watched as the gem started to glow as Y’mhitra’s eyes widened in excitement. “Wait a moment!  I will set up over there!” 

Azlyn opened the book to the bookmarked page. Y’mhitra had already gave her a decent place to start. “So can I say this in Eorzean? Or should I speak in the Language of Ancient Allag?” 

Y’mhitra smiled. “Whatever suits your fancy?” She waved behind her recording device and aimed it straight to her. 

“Ancient Allag it is.” Azlyn started the rites, reading the eloquent tongues of one of the past civilizations. Halfway through reading the page they could already feel the aetheric shift intensify—a sharp intake of heat enveloped over the landscape as the girl continued speaking the rites aloud. She imagined the enveloping heat taking form, manifesting and shaping a life form into existence. It almost felt familiar to summoning a carbuncle—but her arm blazed in pain. She could tell that her own aether was pouring heavily into the ritual. 

Azlyn winced, but continued the rite. Over the flow of aether she could hear Y’mhitra yelling to her. “Be aware! The nascent entity will appear before you unbound and hostile! Is it your charge to overpower the avatar, and establish yourself as its master. The path of the summoner is naught if not fraught with peril!” 

As the last of the rites finished, she witnessed the air in front of her burst in flames—manifesting into an almost cute sized floating Ifrit engulfed in flames. It looked straight to Azlyn, as it’s flames roared in violent welcoming.  

« At least it’s smaller » She spoke in Ancient Allag and pulled out her Arcanist’s book. The gem in the Ancient Allag text Y’mhitra gave her glowed a bright red in color as the Ifrit Egi went to charge her. 

Azlyn brought forth her topaz carbuncle, and started to assess the best way to deal with this threat. Her carbuncle dashed ahead to protect her, spiking the egi with it’s rock blasts and tail attacks. As the arcanist, Azlyn started spamming any offensive spells under her belt. 

From Ruin, Ruin II, Miasma, Bio—She ran through her arsenal of tricks, almost falling into a routine. 

Y’mhitra held the recording device up to record the egi, and turned it over to Azlyn. “The heat is almost intolerable. Pray defeat this entity swiftly Azlyn.” 

Azlyn started casting her Ruin spell once more. The pattern was drawn effortlessly as she drew the Egi away from Y’mhitra. She didn’t want the poor scholar to get caught up in this. “I may have poured too much aether into it.” 

“Doesn’t matter, just take care of it.” 

“On it.” Azlyn could see that the Egi was content to hit her carbuncle for the time being, so she set up her list of attack maneuvers. “Let’s see if I can get some of that energy back!” She started to cue one of her new spells she learned, Energy Drain, and felt a rush of aether flow back into her. 

Y’mhitra ran over to her equipment, placing the recording device down before running over to help her. “I think it’s time I helped out in this historic experiment.” 

Azlyn nodded. “It’ll send bursts of flames—watch it.” 

They coordinated around the Egi, and Azlyn started to recognize the similar attack patterns this smaller version of Ifrit had to the actual one. It burst out several crimson nails, all temporarily empowering it. “Get rid of the nails!” Azlyn ordered. Together, each of them took down a nail. Azlyn took care of two, while Y’mhitra handled one. 

Meanwhile her carbuncle danced around the Egi, continuously smacking the small Ifrit with it’s tail attacks. 

“That’s it, keep whittling it down! It’s almost exhausted!” 

The two of them, plus Azlyn’s carbuncle continued to press in their attack—Y’mhitra supported them with basic healing and spell casting, while the other two heavily dealt the damage. Azlyn started to cast Ruin, and then quick cast Ruin II off her book. “Alright Ifrit-Egi, it’s time you learned who to listen to!”

Azlyn felt the heat instantly drop when her last two spells connected—the aether collapsed in around the creature before the Egi dropped it’s head. Soon the flames died down and it disappeared without a trace. Y’mhitra ran over to her recording, and happily cheered. 

“You did it!” 

Azlyn chuckled. “Nice job.” 

“The fire-born-egi has submitted to your will!” Y’mhitra spoke confidently. “I dare say you mastered the Austerities of Flame, and that is no small feat! Pray, let us return to Apkallu Falls so we may further discuss this achievement!” She started to gather her equipment, her excitement got the best of her as she teleported away rather quickly. 

The Au Ra noticed that in her rush to leave she left the recording device behind. Azlyn picked it up with a chuckle. “I don’t think she wanted to forget this.” Grabbing the forgotten object, she teleported back to Gridania. She took the aetheryte network over to one of the guilds nearby within Old Gridania—and then travelled to the quaint, quiet falls of Apkallu Falls. 

In the distance, she could see Y’mhitra scouring through her equipment for the missing device. “—Not there. Oh no. Where did I put it?!”

Azlyn walked up to her with a light smile. “Is this what you’re looking for?” 

The girl widened her eyes as she produced the recording device. “It is! Bless the Twelve for your keen eyesight!” She took the device from her and checked the contents. “Perfect—everything was recorded well!” 

“I’m glad to hear that.” 

Y’mhitra grinned, “This is truly a momentous occasion! You have rescued the lost art of summoning from the grasping mire of forgotten history! Although I have a question for you: Why did you call it as Ifrit-Egi in the battle?” 

Azlyn smirked. “Because in Ancient Allag « Egi » translates to approximately pure or the essence of. I just thought it was appropriate.” 

“You’re absolutely right—and it’s great to know that Eorzean’s first summoner in the realm understands the meaning and truth behind their avatar. Congratulations once again on taming a willful manifestation of Ifrit’s raging fires.” Y’mhitra grinned from ear to ear, and then directed her attention to the recording device. “I cannot wait to send this over for the scholars to watch.” 

Azlyn chuckled nervously. “I hope it’s not any of the archons I know.”

Y’mhitra continued to grin. “I wouldn’t be worrying about that—the road before you is long and arduous. If you would like to triumph in this age of conflict, you must needs master more than just the egi of fire. I suggest you next fix your gaze upon claiming a servant of unyielding stone.”

“...Titan?” 

The scholar nodded. “The very same. I heard tale from Y’shtola that the Scions were dealing with it presently. This would be an excellent opportunity to get a grasp on Titan’s aetheric energies engaged in battle. It may be difficult though.” Y’mhitra tapped her chin in thought. “Hmm... I can contact my sister and see if she can get a group of fighters together with you in it. That way you can fight Titan and be able to summon an egi of stone.” 

The Au Ra shuffled nervously. “...Uh about that...Titan’s already slain.” 

“Slain!?” Y’mhitra widened her eyes at the report. “How!? Wasn’t the primal summoned just a couple days ago!” 

Azlyn nodded. “Yeah, and you don’t have to worry about the aetheric energies—I think I have a pretty good grasp of him.” She sighed. “It’s been a long day.” 

Y’mhitra looked over her before nodding excitedly. “Let’s form another pact with an egi! I foresee no further obstacles preventing us from attempting the next ritual!” The scholar pulled out her extensive notes, the ones she most likely jotted down well below her arrival that day—and grinned at her second bookmarked set. “In the event that we actually succeeded in forming a pact with Ifrit-Egi, as you have dubbed, I went ahead and did research on the primals in Eorzea. Titan and Garuda will be excellent contenders to add on as egis.” 

At the mention of Garuda, Azlyn widened her eyes. “Woah—hold your chocobos, did you just say Garuda?” 

The girl nodded. “Yes? Titan, Ifrit, and Garuda are the three basic elements and ones the summoners of eld could bid as egis.” 

Azlyn dryly laughed, “Garuda may be a bit much for me.” 

“It wouldn’t be now, obviously—but I believe you have what it takes! The path of the summoner is fraught with peril—did I not say so?” Y’mhitra repeated what she had said back in the Sagolii Desert. “But we shall not worry about her—let us proceed with the Austerites of Earth! I have every confidence that you will succeed in binding Titan-Egi to your will!”

The Au Ra crossed her arms wondering where the best location would be for finding the element of earth. “Are we traveling to Vylbrand this time?” 

The young Miqqo’te shook her head, and then raised her finger pointing up to the sky. She smiled brightly. “According to my research, the most suitable location for the ritual is a place found to the southwest of Alder Springs in the North Shroud. A heretofore buried layer of ancient rock exposed by the violent upheavals of the Calamity has lent the surrounding area an overwhelming earthen aspect.”

“Sounds like the perfect conditions for summoning an earth egi. Let’s get going, shall we?” Azlyn smiled to the scholar, figuring now would be the best time to do this. Instead of having to backtrack later, she thought it would be better to take care of it when she had time. Knowing her luck she’d get caught in a long-winded stretch of favors and circumstances needing completing. 

Azlyn and Y’mhitra travelled from Old Gridania through New Gridania, walking out the gate into the Central Shroud. They travelled north, chatting about the new trends in Gridania, the famous fashion reports that the Mythril Eye published in the weekly newsletter. There were miscellaneous topics ranging from someone hitting the jackpot in Manderville’s Gold Saucer,  to witness reports of people seeing the Bloody Princess of the Sea, to a century year old mage by the name of Ququruka who had escaped in Ul’dah. 

Troubling times in Eorzea, but not uncommon given what happened after the Calamity. Azlyn didn’t dwell on each topic for long—especially not the one involving herself. The last thing she wasn’t to talk about was her notoriety in the realm. 

Their walk through the Central Shroud had been sort, heading northward into the North Shroud. They started heading north in the direction of Fallgourd Float when they came across a valley pass that split into two. Y’mhitra directed them to the western pass, heading further into the mountains. “From my understanding, it should be this way.” 

The terrain had been mostly forest up until that point, and now they could see walking golems and floating grenades ambling the paths. Together they avoided the fights, and snuck through to the spot by a mining operation. 

“This ritual should be no different than the one you performed for the Austerities of Flame. Just read the rites from the text with the soul gem, and the aetheric energies you absorbed in the fight with Titan will manifest into an Egi.” 

Azlyn nodded, moving to the center of the large rock. She pulled forth the ancient allag text with the soul gem placed in the front cover, opening the page to the bookmarked rite. She closed her eyes, envisioning the brute strength of Titan—it’s surge of aether as it plummeted  down into the ground, cracking and fissuring the land mass around it. When she had a fairly decent image, she opened her eyes and began reading the rites. 

Already she could feel the course of aether flood forth from her right arm—the steady flow of aether pulsing in agitation. She continued to read the rites, keeping a clear image of Titan in her minds eye. She could feel the weight of pressure—almost as if something heavy dropped onto her back and shoulders. 

In front of her, the ground exploded in a rush of aether. A large boulder formed, only for the aether to implode from the inside. The debris scattered in the area, leaving a small aetheric version of Titan floating in the wake of the earthen devastation. Angrily the egi roared, and rampaged at Azlyn. 

“The mere presence of this egi is suffocating. It is as if the weight of a mountain presses upon my chest!” Y’mhitra observed from the back, pulling out her conjuring wand. 

Azlyn held the ancient allag book in her hand, before deciding to test her new egi. “Alright Y’mhitra, we’re going to test out Ifrit-Egi! I summon thee!” She snapped her hand out, manifesting at will the power of fire. The burst of flames summoned forth the floating pet. It floated in idle between the two of them as the smaller version of Titan shook the ground the were on. 

“Alright Ifrit-Egi, get in there.” She commanded the Egi to attack, and they watched as it charged forth as told. She could see with each claw strike and burst of flames that Titan-Egi did not take well to the Ifrit-Egi. 

That didn’t mean they could slack off, as the Titan-Egi started to summon allies from the earth. It had very similar tactics to that of Titan—punching with brute force and shattering the earth when it struck. It had been a slow process dealing with the added elements, but with her quick spell casting and Y’mhitra’s support, they were able to whittle away most of the allies and now it was left to Ifrit-Egi and Titan-Egi. 

Ifrit-Egi was faster than Titan-Egi, and while Ifrit-Egi had more firepower under it’s arsenal the Egi formed around the likeness of the Lord of Crags had a strong defense. If they didn’t get the new egi under control, this fight would soon turn into an endurance match—and Azlyn wasn’t sure that was something she could afford. The ground had been laid thick with Titan’s aether, pockets of aether that bogged and slowed down the person who was unfortunate to get stuck. 

Azlyn slowly trudged her way out from one that was placed under her feet, and she watched Y’mhitra do the same. Together they met up and watched as the Ifrit-Egi took the unbridled Egi’s rage away from them. At least it gave them a moment to breath.

She started an onslaught of spells like she had with the previous Egi. She spanned all of her Ruin spells, then her bio and miasma spells, she cast Energy Drain when she started feeling woozy. 

“—Come on. Ifrit-Egi! Blast it with your infernal fists!” Azlyn commanded, and the summoned familiar charged forth. They watched as the Egi of Flame roared in Titan’s face, before it swiped it’s flame-induced claws into the core of the Egi. 

The roar that emanated from the creature echoed in the valley, and in a burst of earthen aether, exploded into nothing. Azlyn heaved a sigh of relief, dropping to her knees. Now she was feeling exhausted and tired. A primal, two rites dealing with primal entities—she felt the aches run through her muscles. 

“Well done Azlyn!” Y’mhitra ran over to her, celebrating in her stead. She jumped up in the air. Azlyn chuckled lightly, as she started feeling lightheaded. The moment of celebration had been short lived, however, as a dark-infused Ruin spell came hurtling at Y’mhitra from the high wall of the mountain. The ground exploded, as Azlyn covered her face to stop the debris from hitting her. Y’mhitra had fallen to the ground, shocked by the sudden assault. 

Together the two of them looked over to the source, and found a black-cloaked figure—not an Ascian by any means. Azlyn stared at the young male’s tanned skin, white har tied back and under a bandana with a long horn pointing outward. He was a Midlander Hyur, probably couldn’t be any older than Azlyn—she struggled to get up to her feet. 

“I come in search of Allagan relics, and what do I find but a pair of incompetent dabblers. By what best of fate did you chance across such undeserved power?” The mysterious person yelled down to them. 

“I resent that!” Azlyn yelled back. 

Y’mhitra also found her ground, standing up from the initial shock. “And who might you be, sir, to be so bold as to question our accomplishments?” 

The man cocked his head to the side, “If you have, indeed, unlocked the secrets of summoning, then you must be in possession of the very treasure I seek.” His eyes fixated on the book in Azlyn’s hand—the green gem that shone previously from Titan-Egi’s recent manifestation fading from the signals. “How terribly convenient, I need only slay you both and take what I need from your bloody corpses.”

Azlyn held the book protectively, noting his gaze. “How terribly confident you are.” She mimicked his tone of voice, as her purple eyes flared in defiance. “I’d like to see you try.” 

He mockingly laughed, drawing out a tome from his side pouch. As he scrawled in the pages, he projected out a summoning circle of his own—a familiar aetheric pressure surrounded them as the heat exploded into the form of another Ifrit-Egi. 

Y’mhitra stepped up, the shock evident on her face. “Gods below! A Summoner, but how!?” 

Azlyn clicked her tongue, commanding her own Ifrit-Egi to their side. She glared up to the new assailant. 

He hopped down the way with ease, next to his summoned companion. “Cease your infantile prattle! The continuation of my divine work far outweighs the worth of your pitiful lives!” 

The summoner clad in black jumped immediately into a combative stance, commanding his Egi to attack. Azlyn met his brute force with her own brute force. Both of the Egis were locked in with one another biting, roaring, and firing flames at one another. 

Which left the summoner to them. Azlyn ran forth to him, raising her book up as she started to attack him with spells. She wasn’t trying to kill him, but wanted to incapacitate him for further questioning. 

The Dark Summoner laughed. “How fortunate to die by my hand! Naught but ash shall remain of your wretchedness!” 

“You give yourself too much credit!” The Au Ra refuted, as he dodged her Ruin spell. She attempted another tactic instead. 

Azlyn and Y’mhitra focused on the Dark Summoner, casting their spells to keep him locked on them and not their egi’s fighting. The Au Ra hoped to whittle his strength down as they fought, but doing so after a long few days herself was difficult. 

The heat from their egi’s caused her to sweat, as the water rolled off her brow and down her cheek. She could only focus on the task at hand—to defend and attack when able. He was good at keeping his distance; when she tried to get into melee with him, the young summoner would jump away. It wasn’t as if she could afford to switch weapons—if she did her summon would be taken away too. 

“You think to stand against me? Foolish bravado. You will burn nonetheless.” He taunted them. 

Azlyn checked on her Egi, seeing that it was still fairing well against their assailants summoned creature. As long as that was preoccupied, they could handle the guy, no problem. It was when they were together that would start causing problems for them. 

As she moved to get a better position, the Dark Summoner read her movements—and sent over a ruin spell. She blanked at the collision, as the spell smacked her hard in the chest. It took the breath out from her, but she had to shake it off. 

“That hurt.” She coughed, wiping her face with her free hand. “That’s it.” She turned her attention to the two summoned spirits fighting and then she started flinging spell after spell to his Ifrit-Egi. 

She casted three spells, one after the other, after the other. One slammed into his summon—bursting into the core. Then she set the last two spells straight at him. He hadn’t expected her to change targets quickly, and all of them watched as he was knocked off his feet. She had aimed two powered Ruin spells at his chest, and the other at his face. His groan of pain roused the end of the fight. His concentration was lost, and given her Ifrit’s attacks against his, it became obvious which Egi would lose. 

The aether exploded inward as the Dark Summoner’s Ifrit-Egi disappeared into nothing. Heaving short breaths, Azlyn struggled to keep her ground. She glared to the man. “What is with you anyway?” 

The man lifted himself to his knee, breathing haphazardly. “Your unwillingness to accept oblivion but delays the inevitable!” 

Y’mhitra stepped forth, only to sense a shift in aether. They watched as he drew his book once more to his side. “Watch out!” 

“Heed me, avatar of infernal flame! Incinerate these fools in all-consuming hellfire!” 

Azlyn watched as another Ifrit-Egi had been summoned to his side, and using the aether started to statically charge the air. The Au Ra ran in front of Y’mhitra, blocking the attack as best as she could with her body. The explosion was similar to Ifrit’s during combat, as the whole area exploded in fire. Only they didn’t feel the fires heat—Azlyn looked ahead of her seeing an enlarged Titan-Egi floating in front of her. It’s huge form stood protectively in front of them. 

“Titan-Egi protected us.” Azlyn spoke up quietly, wondering how it knew to answer the call. The green soul gem shone brilliantly in the book she held. 

The Dark Summoner angrily yelled. “What!?”

Y’mhitra wasted no time as she casted her spell. “Feel nature’s fury, you vile blackguard!” She sent rocks hurtling at the summoner, the debris hitting him. He stepped back from the assault, but was not stopped. 

He grunted in pain. “I tire of this childish game. Thank you gods for granting you another day of miserable existence!” His summon flared up in flames, rising ash, dust, and smoke from the ground. Azlyn covered her face from the diversion and when the cloud settled they noticed he was gone. 

She groaned in pain. “Owwww.” She clutched her chest. “That hurt...” 

Y’mhitra ran over to her, casting a few healing spells. “What a decidedly unpleasant fellow.” 

“You’re telling me.” Azlyn spoke, feeling nature knit her bruised chest. “If we didn’t have Titan-Egi on our side—we probably would have been incinerated.” 

The scholar nodded, and cracked her knuckles. “What possessed that deranged mage to attack us in the first place. However, I did not expect to meet another practitioner of the summoning arts.” Y’mhitra sighed, looking at the charred ground. “I also did not expect to fight for my life so suddenly either.” She then brought a hand up to her chin, it almost reminded her of Y’shtola’s gestures. “What precious treasure do we carry that this callous stranger was so willing to kill us to possess it?” 

Azlyn looked down to the rites book, and the gem in the front cover. “My guess? Probably this.” She lifted it up for Y’mhitra to see. 

“Perhaps. Well mysteries aside, I do believe this concludes our own ritual. You can now summon both Ifrit’s and Titan’s Egi at will! I dare say that is a job well done Azlyn!” 

The girl nodded her head, but wondered if that mage would continue attacking her for the book. “All thanks to Y’mhitra and the Sons of Saint Coinarch.” 

This brought a valid point over to the scholar. She nodded her head. “Hmmm, yes I do believe I shall confer with my colleagues in the Sons of Saint Coinarch, and see what I might learn of that hostile summoner.” She then waved her recording device she had placed before the rites of summoning Titan-Egi. “And lucky for us, I recorded the whole thing!” 

Azlyn chuckled. “Will you be alright heading back?” 

The Miqo’te nodded. “Don’t worry about me, when I learn more we shall meet anon. Until then, be sure to practice and utilize everything you’ve learned.” 

Azlyn smiled. “I will—oh, and is it alright if I keep this book?” She lifted the summoning book with the gem. Y’mhitra returned her grin to the Au Ra. 

“Consider it yours. I can’t wait to see what the future has in store!” 

They bid goodbye, and Azlyn watched as the young scholar teleported away. When she was gone, Azlyn turned her attention to the sky and noticed the darkening clouds. And just like that the long day had ended.

“I should go home.” Azlyn activated a teleport home to Ul’dah, and let the aether carry her to the small aetheryte in front of their free companies house. The one thing she noticed that was new at the house happened to be a training dummy—stuck in the ground in the middle of the yard. It was not that hard to miss, given it had a bow tie on it’s neck.

Deciding to ask later, she entered the house only to find the lights were off. The place had been empty, save for Ozwin sleeping on the couch. Azlyn moved slowly through the common room, hoping not to wake the sleeping occupant, and on her way downstairs she found a postage box with her name on it, along with a few letters addressed to her.

She grabbed all of the stuff, and walked downstairs to steal one of the rooms to sleep in. It had been recently furnished with a nice bed set and work desk to sit at. Given a bit of time, she opened the box delivered from the Students of Baldesion—and brought out a handmade Starlight Celebration wreath with a goobue center piece. Inside there was also a note: 

Azlyn, we hope you enjoy this gift from the kids in the orphanage. They wanted to make you something for the Starlight Celebration this year. Come home sometime so we can celebrate together.

Yours, Krile.

The girl chuckled, staring at the gift. “We’ll have to put you somewhere everyone can see then. I should write them back to tell them thank you.” 

She began her long writing session for the night, first to the children, then Krile, G’raha Tia, and to the Company of Heroes. She also wrote a letter to N’thuzu Tia in the Hidden Falls thanking him for his help in Brayflox’s Longstop. 

Azlyn was in her second hour of writing when a subtle knock jostled her from her task. “Come in?” 

The door creaked as a blurry-eyed Hyur poked his head in. His blonde locks of hair were messy from his sleeping on the couch. “—Come back for the night?” 

She nodded. “Yeah, did Roll and Kida not come?” 

Ozwin shook his head, and then pointed to her face. “Uh—Azlyn you okay?” 

The girl blinked at his sudden concern. She turned to him with a curious look. “—Yes? Why?” 

He opened the door fully now as he pointed out what he was witnessing. “Your nose is bleeding.” 

“Eh?” She placed the pen down before she lifted her hand up to her nose. When she pulled back she noticed the red fluid. “EH?!” Azlyn jumped up from her chair, knocking it back as she stood. It was in that moment of standing that everything hit her at once—like a magitek freight train—the whoosh of aether, a sense of vertigo, a lack of feeling in her limbs. 

And then nothing. 

0