104 l The Binding Coils of Bahamut
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When they came into the next zone, they were welcomed with a singular pad that had been alit with energy. There was an O-shaped ring that hummed in front of the pad. Beside the floor pad, there was also a terminal panel. 

Azlyn started playing with the terminal. “This has to be something.” She activated several of the command protocols, scanning the old language prompts with ease. She darted between the pages. 

“Are you sure you know what you’re doing?” Alisaie approached from behind, looking around her to see the jumbled screen. 

Azlyn nodded, “This is Ancient Allag—the language of the Third Astral Era.” She directed her attention to the screen even if they didn’t comprehend it. “From what I can read, there are several terminals like that one that opens a series of locks in this zone. If we want to proceed through...the coils? Yeah, it’s reading Coils, we’ll have to activate each one while heading down.” 

N’thuzu Tia peered over the edge of the platform. “Hate to burst your bubble, but how do we get down?” 

“Haven’t figured it out yet.” The girl activating the terminal murmured. “Maybe that pad is a teleport for the bottom zone.” 

Roll smiled softly. “As long as we don’t have to fight those nodes from before.”

Alisaie tapped her cheek, and walked over to the floor pad. She examined the device. “It looks like this is active.” 

Azlyn finished up at the terminal, walking over to Alisaie. 

Kida smirked mischievously behind the girl, as Azlyn peered at the glowing glyphs. “Well it’s supposed to be a teleport pad right?” 

And innocently pushed Azlyn onto the pad. 

As Azlyn righted herself, she felt a jolt of energy under her feet—and then propulsion as she was flung outward like a ball from a cannon. She screamed loudly as she sailed through the air. After three seconds, she found herself sailing through the O-shaped circle that front faced the floor pads, and found that her gravity had altered enough so that she wouldn’t smack hard in the landing. 

Shakily she fell to her knees. 

“Azlyn!” 

“AZLYN! You okay!”

She could hear her friends shouting from up above. Her hands wouldn’t stop their jitters as she tapped the linkpearl. “Alive. I’m alive.”

That was all she could stammer out to them. 

There were several more bursts from above, as each one used the floor pad to reach her location on the broken coil several hundred yalms below. When each member of the group landed, they looked to Azlyn with worry and concern. 

She still shook as they pointed to the next pad. 

“You’re going to hate this part.” Roll mentioned, “I think we’re going to be jumping our way down.” 

Azlyn looked to Mjnt. “Any—Any tips—tips on jumping?” 

The Viera walked over to rub the girl’s tense shoulders. “Breathe, relax. Keep your eyes open. Focus on one point.” 

With simple instructions delivered, they all moved through the coils—jumping downward—and downward. On some of the gold shaped rings they found scattered terminals where Azlyn started to activate them. 

By the time they reached the tenth coil down—they found the last terminal and a lone terminal launchpad that looked different from the rest of the jumps they used to make it down. Azlyn activated the panel, and they watched as some power went to the launchpad terminal at the very central edge of that coil. 

“You’re doing good.” Ozwin offered piteously to the white haired Raen. “You’ve fallen after each jump, but at least you can say you did it.” 

Azlyn didn’t utter a word. All the jumping and drop down made her stomach do flip flops. She was just glad she didn’t vomit her breakfast over the coils. 

Kida rubbed her hands together, the jumps were exciting to her. “That was so much fun! Azlyn, you could face your fear of heights if you did these coil jumps daily!” 

Richiro curiously looked up to the girl. “You’re afraid of heights?” 

Ozwin nodded, reaching out to ruffle the white curly head of hers. “Didn’t you notice it whenever she needed to jump down? She always hesitates.” 

Alisaie pursed her lips. “I suppose everyone has a fear of something.” 

“Let’s go.” Azlyn finished up at the terminal panel and walked to the last launch pad. “Hopefully this will be the last jump down.” 

Roll spoke beside her, looking upward. “We’ll have to jump up after all this if this leads to a dead-end.” 

N’thuzu Tia looked to the girl. “If it’s too much, let me know. I’ll help carry you back up.” 

“No, it’s fine.” Azlyn muttered weakly. 

“You going to be okay?” Koroko Koko asked her, her red eye showing under her large casting hat peered to her with worry. 

She gave a small nod, and then stopped short of the terminal. Azlyn activated this terminal and then they all were teleported to another section of the Coils down below. This was a hexagonal shaft that they arrived to—and a large terminal to the north. 

Azlyn walked over to activate it. She saw a keyboard of Ancient Allag letters appear and a series of screens to go through. She quietly worked as the rest of them explored the small area. 

“What do you think this is?” Kida looked up the towering walls that stretched above them. 

“I’m not to sure.” N’thuzu Tia admitted. “I’ve never seen anything like it before.”

“It’s an elevator shaft.” Azlyn answered. “The Ancient Allag’s called it a Drive Cylinder.” She typed quickly on the letters, before the lift activated. The sides of the elevator jolted to life, slowly shuddering to a start. 

“Nice job!” Kida snapped her fingers together. “Now we can relax in peace!” 

As the elevator continued, pieces of the wall started to drop inward to the center. Rectangular—like in shape fell in one by one. And soon transformed into mechanical creatures clicking at them. 

Everyone grouped together. 

“Or not.” Roll laughed dryly. “Let’s get rid of these bugs.” 

It wasn’t as if the bugs were hard to destroy. It took several hits from the melee members to crush them to bolts and metal bits—which Roll collected. They were hit in a series of six intervals—the first dealt with clockwork spiders—the second phase had clockwork bipedal machines drop in from the sides, attacking them. They split the field, keeping the enemies at two per group. The next four phases were similar in nature—as more enemies dropped upon them when the elevator descended. 

When the elevator stopped at the bottom, the whole platform had been littered with heaps of scrap metal, bolts, cores, and other miscellaneous parts. Roll picked up the pieces that were less damaged, while the others looked at the expansive cavern that greeted them.

There was a long linear path that lead further within. 

“You got what you wanted Roll?” Richiro asked the Raen who happily nodded. 

“I have quite a few ideas to craft some things. Maybe even design some new outfits.” 

Alisaie walked to the entryway, and smiled back to the group. “We have some more to check out. Let’s go.” 

Azlyn followed the girl down, the path looked similar however she couldn’t quite put a finger on it as they all reached the center. There were three long claws curving up in the air—and the girl looked to the ground with interest. There also was another long arching path that led further inward.

“This... is this—?!” 

A piercing screech echoed in the cavern—drawing their attention from the curvature of the earthen palm they stood upon to up above. Dragons—some small—and a large one with an Allagan collar started to attack them. 

“Watch out!” Mjnt called out seeing the dragons started to weave and dive. “Take care of the broodlings! Draw the main dragon to the side!” 

They scattered, leaving the broodlings to Koroko, Ozwin, and Richiro’s side—while the remaining party members dealt with the giant dragon spitting magma-like fire balls at them. 

“Does that dragon have a collar!?” Kida excitedly fired arrow after arrow—one laced with poison, another with wind bite. 

“Koroko, do something about these broodlings!” Ozwin yelled from the other side of the space. 

The mage focused upon her staff, gathering all of the energy into a giant meteor. She then released it upon the little dragons, killing them in the scattering of meteor bits.

“Focus!” Mjnt yelled, jumping high up into the air—and impaled the skin of the dragon’s right wing. She flipped back, landing expertly by Roll who distributed the power of the stars to her, and the Viera leapt back into fighting. 

Four minutes of fighting—and the two headed dragon changed tactics. It flew up into the air before starting to pick on individuals to dive toward. Richiro was the first to be targeted, where the impact blew the Lalafellin back several few. If it wasn’t for N’thuzu Tia by his side, the lad would have flown off the palm. 

This continued, dive bomb after dive bomb. They were exhausted from the continuous drawn out fighting, as Roll let off a spread of aspected Helios under the nocturnal sect to them. 

“Keep going!” Mjnt rallied, pointing to the wing. “Keep attacking that wing with range! Any melee should keep hacking and slashing as it hovers above.” 

With this in mind—they worked together, running to avoid the strange twisters that appeared and the fireballs the two headed dragon spat. Mjnt started to leap upward, piercing the damaged wing one more time—as the skin tore further into what everyone assumed was the shoulder. 

The dragon dropped to the ground, trashing and screeching—biting and clawing at whoever might have been in reach. 

“Mjnt! You’re the dragon expert—do your dragon firebomb!” Kida chanted in excitement. 

The Viera focused all of her energy into her spear—as a bright light shone on the tip of the blade. She smiled, before she started to pierce, hack, and slash. The dragon crashed to the ground, it’s head dropped with a loud thump. 

Alisaie wiped the sweat from her face, as the heat from the fireballs had affected all of them. “Is it dead?”

Mjnt stepped up, examining the creature. “Yes. It is dead.” 

Azlyn moved up—going to the collar of the dragon to see the strange device upon the neck. She recognized the different language scribbled in metal upon the center. “Twintania.” remembered reading about something in a previous textbook about a dragon—Twintania had a well known history—but what was it doing there?

“Twintania? That thing had a name?” Richiro gasped. 

“Does it matter? It’s dead.” Ozwin reached up to give N’thuzu Tia a high five. “Nice job keeping that dragon stationed.” 

The Miqo’te warrior smirked. “I’ve had some practice fighting dragons already.”

“This is going rather smoothly than I expected.” Alisaie nodded. “It is indeed convenient to have a hero or eight on hand.” 

“Heh.” 

Alisaie directed her attention to the unexplored area. “Gods—That the cavern should open up again, even at this depth.”

Kida walked to the start of the path, before examining the long arching claws. “These resemble a finger.”

Azlyn nodded, patting down the front of the robes. “You’re right. We’re standing on a palm of...something.” 

The whole group snapped their attention to the girl, and then started to look at everything in a new light. 

“I was—I was too distracted by the dragons to notice that we were on a palm.” N’thuzu Tia admitted. 

There was a gasp from the twin Scholar. She paled at the thought. “And so it should! This is Bahamut’s hand!” 

Everyone tensed.  Even Azlyn as she assumed Bahamut had been—alive—and yet the hand was unmoving. 

“Then are those the wings?” Mjnt pointed up. “They appear to be frozen.” 

Alisaie crossed her arms. “For that I count my blessings.” 

Azlyn frowned, staring at the physical being of Bahamut still existing. “But something’s odd... Don’t Primals rejoin the aether cycle? How is it able to retain it’s physical form?” She gestured to the dead dragon who started to disappeared in a purple haze. “Even Twintania is rejoining the aether...” 

“I had assumed that Bahamut’s reversion to aether was the cause of the widespread changes to the realm. But if he is still here, then that theory no longer holds.” Alisaie tapped her chin deep in thought. “What was it, then, that brought about the realm’s sudden regeneration? There is still so much we do not know about Carteneau.” 

“Well we have more to explore—and ample time to think about it on our way down.” Ozwin walked to the path leading within. “Nothing like the present.” 

Richiro’s fairy hovered over each, examining them for any wounds to mend as they talked. A bit of cool energy wrapped around her hand as Eos gently kissed the scratch. 

“I haven’t the slightest inkling how deep these caverns run Ozwin, but I like your attitude. After you.” The Scion smiled as the Midlander Hyur took point. N’thuzu Tia followed after Alisaie. The rest joined their walk, following the path into a blockade of buildings with low red lights as a guide on the floor. 

They continued walking until they came to a dead end—where a long wall of Allagan-relic panel blocked the way. 

Alisaie looked curiously. “This contraption—Is it used to control the saturation of aether? I suppose there’s only one way to find out.” 

“Shall I try it?” Azlyn offered, lifting up a hand to send out a bit of aether. Koroko Koko caught her leg, stopping her. 

“Perhaps you should let someone who hasn’t cracked their aetherial lines to expend their energy?” 

Alisaie quirked her brow, and started to push some aether out to the device. As her hand glowed with energy, they watched as the aether crackled. “What’s this about cracking aetherial lines?” 

“Azlyn decided to test her luck.” Roll shrugged. “Nothing else we can do about it.” 

“And it’s fine.” Azlyn sighed. “I haven’t been feeling feverish, my head and arm doesn’t hurt. It all kind of changed when I took in the last Crystal of Light.” 

“That’s news to us.” Kida explained with surprise. “When did you notice this sudden change?” 

She shrugged. “A couple days ago?”

“Better air on the side of caution. I don’t want to carry you out.” Ozwin replied sullenly. 

Azlyn stuck her tongue out to him, while they waited for the Scion to finish up. 

“What was that contraption on the dragon’s neck?” Alisaie asked when the silence took over their group. They were watching her as her aether sparked against the panel in front. 

Thankful for the change of topic, the Raen Au Ra told them what she knew. “Twintania had that collar—likely as a receptor of sorts—to enslave it.” 

Roll commented back. “Like the giants in Copperbell Mines.” 

“Exactly!” Kida perked. “How dare they enslave dragons that could firebomb them to oblivion!” 

Koroko Koko chuckled into her hand. 

“Ancient Allag possessed the means to control dragons. The Isgardians would kill for this knowledge, though to be sure, it could as easily be brought to bear against them.” Alisaie said. 

Mjnt hardened at the mention of Ishgard. “The Holy See would lead a holy crusade against Dravania if they possessed this knowledge. I know this for a fact.” The Viera crossed her arms over her chest. “An army of dragons could turn the tide of any battle, as the Garleans once learned to their sorrow.” 

“I would not be the least bit surprised if the Garleans sought to exploit this power for themselves.” Azlyn offered her thoughts. “Why set a stronghold at the entrance of this cavern if not for that?” 

Ozwin whistled. “Let’s be thankful they weren’t that smart.” 

“Whatever their plans,” Alisaie stopped the aether flow from her hand. “This services as another reminder of the might of the Allagan. One cannot help but wonder how so advanced a civilization came to fall.” 

Azlyn had to tell Raha about this in her next letter. He’d probably send her pages upon pages of questions on what they found in their expedition of these facilities. They heard a click within the red room—soon followed by a loud primal roar. 

The nine of them looked up to the wall, eyes wide as the roar ended. 

“I don’t think it liked whatever you just did.” Mjnt replied, brandishing her spear. 

Unsure of what come happen next, they watched as the room slowly lit with life. Lights blared over the pathway they took, and everything came to life. Blue lines of energy soared through the old relic walls, trailing up and outward. As if turning on. 

The panel in front of them lowered, only for another set of doors started to slowly open to show what laid beyond. Everything blazed with aether and energy. 

“Gods be good.” Alisaie stepped back in shock, watching as the room came to life and revealed what was behind the door. Aether and energy were coursing from the towers and pillars and into the gigantic head of what they all knew to be Bahamut. 

“WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK!” Kida yelled at the bewildering sight.

Azlyn’s jaw dropped, as she took a step forward to see the creature. She looked to the aether and how the energy was helping keep the head of Bahamut alive. 

“This is...This is Bahamut’s head!” Alisaie choked out, surprised by the sight. 

Ozwin turned pale at the sight—his eyes wide. “That’s the bastard that came out from Dalamud.” 

“What!?” Kida snapped her head. “You’re telling me a head caused the Calamity!?” 

Azlyn shook her head. “No. That’s not it. Look, the aether is... it’s regenerating it. See how the aether is being consumed in the neck.” 

They watched as the scales and flesh of the dragon primal slowly, very slowly, grew under the energy beams. 

“Why the fuck would the Garleans want THIS!?” Kida gestured to the head in shock. “ARE THEY TRYING TO DESTROY THE WORLD!”

Koroko Koko crossed her arms. “I don’t think the Garleans activated this recently.” 

Azlyn had a feeling, given the core space they were in—they may have started it up by accident. With all the primals being summoned and returned to the aetheric ley lines—it was a small possibility but they could have very well jump started it back to life. “Look there.” Azlyn didn’t want to be the bearer of bad news. But it had to be said. “That enormous crystal—it pulsates as if it were the heart. Then the primal that had awakened was indeed Bahamut—charged by the aetherical jumps that we sent back into the aetheric leylines from the three primals.”

Ozwin turned to her with horror upon his face. “Explain in layman’s terms.” 

“She’s saying the primal summonings and their return to the aether has caused the core to come to life.” Roll grimaced. 

“Correct.” Azlyn crossed her arms, worried. “Due to our recent actions—and the massive surges of aether in recent days—we could have activated Bahamut’s core without meaning to. If it was housed deep within these caverns no one would have really been able to activate it otherwise.” 

Alisaie shook her head. “No...No...no!” She stepped back two at a time. “This cannot be true! This—this would mean that Grandfather died for naught!” She stared at the Behemoth’s head regenerating. “Confound it all!” 

She noted the similar usages of vocabulary the twins shared—but Azlyn had a feeling given they were twins who grew up close.

N’thuzu Tia gazed to the Au Ra. “Is there a way to power down the system? Override it maybe?” 

Azlyn couldn’t see a panel that she could work upon. “I’d have to work on a terminal—one with more control over the core. And the path—as you can see—” She pointed to the sheer drop of the path. There didn’t appear to be a safe way to proceed. 

Richiro walked to the edge, looking down at the height. “There’s... quite a lot of height. And aether.” 

“I’d prefer not dying from this height—thanks.” Ozwin crossed his arms. “Okay—what do we do then? Wait until it’s regenerated enough? Try to stop it here and now? Is that even possible?” 

Alisaie shook her head. “We do not know enough to strike at it now. We must withdraw and formulate a strategy.” 

They were heading back out the hall when Alisaie stopped to look back to the scene. The Scion started to squint at the area they had just left, and gasped in revelation. 

“Who...? Who is that...? No...it can’t be...”

They turned to look over their shoulder, and there by the furthest core length stood an Elezen in a white tunic and tan long pants. Azlyn stopped, shocked at the site of the Elezen’s white hair, white beard—tanned skin. 

Ozwin mimicked Alisaie as they both shouted. 

“Louisoix!” 

“Grandfather? Is it truly you?” 

The group watched as the Elezen turned to them, he said something however with all the crisp static of energy pulsing into Bahamut, it was hard to discern. Azlyn didn’t miss the other member standing a bit ahead of the Archon, their back turned and facing the head of Bahamut. 

The Archon turned, walking down the long path to the head—with the other person waiting for him to catch up. As he walked away, Alisaie reached up an arm. 

“No—don’t leave me alone again—please! Grandfather!” 

The pair disappeared from view, leaving only their party members and the young Scion on the premise. Ozwin remained one of the few unnerved by the sudden appearance of a dead Archon, and everyone else tried to understand what exactly happened. 

Azlyn walked over to Alisaie, peering to the young twin. “Alisaie...if he’s alive, he’ll be back. Come on—we should come up with a game plan for Bahamut.” 

She nodded absently. “I—I know. We can do no more for now.” 

Together they all left, quieter than usual, even Kida had been lost in her musings as they came to the teleport launchpad by the elevator shaft. Azlyn could tell that her friends and Alisaie had more questions than answers, even she had nothing to offer in regards to what they saw. 

She activated the terminal, and slowly, they all teleported from the launchpad to another location.

They all shook their heads by the sudden jump—and found themselves outside. Not in Vylbrand—no this place looked exactly like northern Thanalan. 

“How did we come to be in northern Thanalan of all places?” Alisaie walked forward, looking all over the war torn fields and corrupt clustered crystals. 

“That probably is the least of our concerns.” Ozwin spoke up, crossing his arms. “We just came across something big.” 

Alisaie turned on her foot, looking him in the eye. She enthusiastically nodded, postulating with both of her hands. “Grandfather’s alive!” 

Azlyn bit her lip, wondering if that was the case. If so—then maybe—maybe her parents?

Roll reached out a hand to grab her arm. Her cousin must have seen the look in her face, and slowly shook her head. It deflated the girl instantly. It was a silent interaction between the two, and a heavy impact on them both. 

“Bahamut didn’t defeat him!” Alisaie spoke confidently, turning to Azlyn and Roll. She faltered a moment when she saw the looks upon their faces. A lowcast, hollow expression. One of grief. The one that spoke volumes in silence.

Mjnt cleared her throat as she sensed an odd tension grow. “Is there a reason he hasn’t returned?”

Ozwin crossed his arms, looking up to the corrupted crystal formations nearby. “I don’t understand it either. How could someone who was well known in Eorzea randomly appear alive and well.”

Koroko Koko tilted her head from one side to another thinking. “Perhaps we should jot down all that we have seen. It may help cycle through the chaotic day’s events.”

Kida pulled out the journal, using the pen feather within to write down her questions and views. She handed it over to Ozwin who quickly looked down at her notes. “Your notes are different than usual.”

The bard shrugged. “It’s not the right moment for that. Even I know when to be serious Ozwin.”

The Hyur accepted her answer and wrote down two questions. He passed it over to N’thuzu Tia—and on it went until the journal landed into Azlyn’s hands. There were two full pages of notes, observations and details about what they all saw—and all she could do was hand the journal over to Alisaie.

“This expedition has yielded more questions than it did answers.” The Scion admitted, peering through the pages. She flipped through, scanning the notes before she sighed. “At any rate, we would all be better for a rest. Let us return for the time being and reflect upon what we have seen.”

Everyone was in agreement—but most of them opted to split up for the night. Ozwin disappeared right away, not telling anyone where he was heading.

Mjnt cracked her lower back as she stretched. “I shall head to Camp Dragonhead for the night. Where shall we meet in the morning?”

“Waking Sands?” Alisaie offered.

“I shall meet you there.” The Viera waved goodbye, teleporting out.

Koroko Koko and Richiro Wichiro decided to head into Camp Bluefog to check on a few things. “I shall head to Camp Bluefog—I need to pick up more oil to clean my staff.”

The black mage smiled softly. “I will accompany you.” The pair of Lalafellin’s departed shortly after.

N’thuzu Tia looked to the three Auri remaining and Alisaie. “I’ll be at the Hidden Falls. I’ve been meaning to talk with Curious Gorge for some time—and I think I’m going to need more training for whatever—whatever that was we found.”

Azlyn nodded. “Okay. Be safe.”

The Miqo’te waved and disappeared in a poof of aetheric magic.

Kida stretched her arms upward. “Then there were four. Like old times!”

Alisaie gave a small smile. “Thank you—all of you. Without you, none of this would have been made possible.”

Azlyn answered her slowly, choosing her words with care. “No need to thank us. I believe everyone wanted to get to the bottom of that Primal—but given the questions with no defined answers—I’m sure we’ll be up all-night thinking about it.”

Kida scoffed. “Not me!”

Roll gazed upward to the sky. The light of their early morning expedition had quickly changed into a dusk of setting sun. “We were in there a long time.”

“Indeed.” Alisaie tapped her chin in thought. “I shall make my way to the Waking Sands and tell Urianger of all we found. What shall you three do in the meantime?”

Azlyn looked to Roll. “I—uh…”

Roll turned to Alisaie. “Azlyn and I have something we need to do in Ul’dah. Kida, would you mind accompanying Alisaie back to Vesper Bay?”

The Bard smiled widely, giving a huge thumbs up. “No worries! Say Alisaie, you ever rode upon a magitek motorbike?”

“I can’t say that I have…?”

Kida smirk grew a margin. “You’ll love it, come on!”

The two disappeared in a heap of dust and Alisaie’s shock of surprise when the mount jolted to a start. By the time Azlyn finished shaking her head, the pair were already gone.

“She’ll either love it or hate it.”

Roll chuckled. “Heh.”

“So—what was it that you needed to show me?”

Her cousin crossed her arms. “It’d be best to go to my mom’s place. Do you remember how to get there?”

Azlyn shook her head.

“Figures. Okay, teleport to Ul’dah. Then we’ll go through the residential district. Mom lives in the seventh district.”

With the destination in mind, the two Auri teleported to the Aetheryte in the bustling capital of Ul’dah. Even as the day started to wane, people were still milling around. The streets were crowded with Adventurers and merchants. The Grand Company patrol’s were moving through the clusters, breaking up any funny business.

The smell from the stalls—as cooked and braised meat wafted in the air. Spices and seasoning from all over started to mingle together in a strange melting pot of food vendors. Azlyn followed her cousin through the avenues, easily dodging in and around.

By the time they made it to the Steps of Nald, there stomachs were growling for food. “I can make dinner at my mom’s.”

“How is Aunt Lolarai?”

“Working constantly.” Roll quipped. “She got a third job the other week.”

This made Azlyn squeeze her brows together in concern. “Like she’s working three jobs at the same time—or this is the third job she got hired at?”

“The first one.”

“Ohhh…”

Roll pointed to a set of stairs leading down by the Weaver’s Guild. “The Monetarists are in control of a few of the loans she received when we first arrived to Ul’dah.” The girl shook her head. “I’ve tried to help out by sending gold to help, but—”

Azlyn watched her cousin halt.

“You’ll see.”

Was the only answer she received back.

The pair began walking through the districts, walking through the paths and up the bridges into the seventh district. Fifteen minutes went by of quick chatter, mostly about Roll’s recent delivery’s to Rowena, and Azlyn’s new robes, before they found themselves at a quiet abode with a zen garden in front. A pond with a bamboo chute had been placed in the corner of the garden—the soft thump and water flowing constantly kept the relative quiet of the space.

“It’s very beautiful.” Azlyn looked up to the peach tree that was grown fully by the back wall.

“Mom’s been keeping up with the house.” Roll offered and walked into the house.

She was reminded of home instantly. The dried herb cache over the windows, the low tables and seating cushions, tatami mats and house slippers—all of it reminded her of home.

“Mom?” Roll kicked off her boots. “Azlyn and I are here?”

The house remained quiet.

“Mom?”

Roll went further into the house, but not before pointing to the table. “Sit a moment Azlyn—I’ll find her.”

Instead of sitting, the girl opted to heat up the kettle of water and brew some herbal tea. She thought tea with her aunt and cousin would do wonders for her state of mind. After a few moments of setting up, Roll came back with a perplexed look on her face.

“What’s wrong?”

“She’s not here.”

Azlyn frowned. “Not here?”

Roll shook her head.

The Au Ra stopped pouring water into the kettle to brew. “What now?”

“I guess I can lead you to the site. I thought she would have liked to see you at any rate.”

Azlyn returned the kettle back where she found it, and together Roll and her left. They only walked a few more minutes, walking to an exit by the wall. Roll pointed to a small monument on the hill. There were several stone tablets. Some had vases with flowers in front.

Roll brought her to a set of two. The names inscribed on the tablets caused her heart to jump unsteadily. The names—Nahz’el and Liliana—were both inscribed with beautiful cursive.

“I—I didn’t know…” Azlyn knelt in front of the graves, running a hand over the stone. It was cold to the touch.

Her cousin knelt next to her, offering a prayer and bowing in respect. “Five years ago, when they started to extract the bodies—the Immortal Flames—they brought to Mom and me the remains.”

“O-oh…”

Roll nodded. “And we buried them within the rites of our custom. I argued with mom that we should send for you to come—to say your goodbyes—to have that closure—but she said that there was enough grief between us to last a lifetime.”

Azlyn closed her eyes, feeling the gentle breeze of the wind blow her curly hair off her shoulder. “It’s…okay. I was lost myself.” The girl sighed. “If it wasn’t for you sending me their last letter and journal—I probably wouldn’t have even started traveling in the first place.” She rubbed the back of her neck.

Her cousin slowly turned to her, confusion on her face. “…last letter? Journal?”

“Yeah? The one with Mom and Dad’s last wishes. They wanted me to see the world…”

Her cousin looked like it was the first time she heard of it.

Azlyn scrambled into her satchel, “I have it…with that journal…” She pulled out book after book and found the first ever journal—the bound brown leather wrapped in a rustic wrap. She quickly unbound it, where a safely folded piece of parchment resided in the preface.

She handed it to her cousin. “That one!”

Roll scanned the page, her amber eyes darting line to line. When she reached the end of the page, she looked to the journal in her cousin’s hand. “Azlyn…I never sent that package.”

“…What?”

“When the Immortal Flames gave us the remains—they didn’t have anything on them. No notes. No journals. Nothing. Azlyn…” Her cousin lifted the page. “I didn’t send anything to you. My mom would have been upset at me if I had.”

Azlyn snatched the letter, scanning it with her own eyes. When she got to the end, she let her hands drop in her lap—the letter disregarded. “—Then who sent the package?”

Roll seemed at a loss. 

Even the Raen was at a loss, staring down at the letter with a mixture of disbelief and concern. Who was it that wanted her to go adventuring? To see the world? ...And was this truly the last letter written by her parents? It’d been so long since she’d seen her father’s hand writing—but after all this time—she’d have to compare it to one of the older letters she received back on the Isle of Val. 

“—Azlyn?” 

The girl looked to her cousin, more in disbelief than anything else. “I—uh—I’m not too sure what’s happening anymore.” 

Roll shook her head, but reached out a hand to pat hers in comfort. “I’m not sure either—but you have us now. We’ll figure it out.” 

She nodded, and stowed the letter in the journal. It would be a question to gnaw at her for a long time—as they had more pressing issues to deal with. 

0