111.5 l Alisaie’s Path
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Azlyn had been awoken by someone shaking her shoulder. Groggily, she cracked an eyelid open to see a pair of blue eyes and white hair over her.

“Good morning Azlyn.”

“Alisaie…” The Au Ra plucked herself up from the floor, she had wedged herself between two pillows and the wall a few hours ago. “What’s up?”

The girl nodded to her. “Well, there’s a place that I would visit. Might I ask you to accompany me?” She looked around the room to the bodies of passed out members of their free group Fated. “I’d hate to wake them all.”

Azlyn yawned silently, stretching her arms up before the two snuck off into the early morning desert. When they were outside, Alisaie spoke of where she wanted to go.

“I wish to visit the Burning Wall, in eastern Thanalan. We can teleport to Camp Drybone and walk over from there.”

She nodded, following the Scion quietly as she was still waking up. The bright Ul’dahn sun shimmered in the west as they soon found themselves walking the dusty paths of the eastern Thanalan routes. Another fifteen minutes of travel, up the Highbridge, and to the south east—they came through the cavern path to the cluster crystals of corrupted aether. A large fragment of Dalamud from the Calamity had scarred these lands, but this morning it shined beautifully under the sun.

“The landscape is the same. Of course, there is no reason that it would be otherwise.” Alisaie started. “Though it would be poetic for the fragments to magically disappear. I am well aware that they shall remain long after you and I are gone.”

Azlyn agreed, seeing as the environment took the fragment in as part of the landscape. It would be weird to see it all disappear. “Maybe one day someone will write a story on it. Years and years down the line, when the Calamity will be nothing more than a history lesson—and not an experience.”

A group of children started to laugh in the background—and the pair turned to see a few small children running up and down the paths—a caretaker followed after them, and they watched as the group ran up to a small hillside. A makeshift grave had been marked by blackened stones—perhaps it was a parent.

“The world may change irrevocably, but life shall ever go on.” Alisaie spoke softly, looking up to the family. “Let’s take a closer look, shall we?” The scion gestured to the fragment, and Azlyn followed her lead.

Together they walked around the twisting paths of scarred earth, traveling up and down the winding trails. Until they found an outcrop that looked promising to chat.

“Yes this spot will do.” Alisaie walked near to the edge, enjoying the warmth of the morning sun on her face. “From what Alphinaud said last night, he did an admirable job concealing the truth of the Calamity. As such, those truths revealed in those dark depths will never see the light of day. I myself agreed that it must be so…” She stopped, worrying to herself.

“What’s wrong?” Azlyn asked.

The girl turned on her foot, looking squarely to her. “The thought that the people of Eorzea shall forever remain ignorant of their saviors—of your friends deeds—The injustice of it is almost too much for me to bear.”

The Au Ra laughed, not worried about the publicity aspect. She looked up to the sky, shaking her head. “We don’t need the limelight. By the Twelve, can you imagine what the Mythril Eye would do if they caught scent of this scandal? I can already see a third book in the making: Bloody Princess of the Sea, Triumphs over Elder Primal. Gods, I pray that never comes to fruition.”

Alisaie chuckled to her dismay. “You hate the title you earned?”

Azlyn nodded wholeheartedly. “I just don’t think it necessary.” She turned to the gorge filled with orange aspected crystals. “When people start idolizing someone—placing them on pedestals and mounted high on walls—it makes them seem inhuman. Like they’re some invincible being… but I’m far from that.” She looked down to her hands, her scarred palms, she could remember the aetherial cracks that lined up her arm to her neck and upper body. “Sometimes people forget that those people are humanoid. Beings who makes mistakes just as any other.”

“I thought you were just being modest, but I see you’ve been thinking hard about it.” Alisaie smiled warmly. “It is typical of you though Azlyn. Ever the hero, even when you’re being idolized. Even so, I cannot deny that I feel better knowing your sentiment behind it.”

“Yeah—so no worries. Like we promised down below—we swore that we’d take it to the grave. No one will know the truth. Just us.” She grinned. “We’ll keep an eye on Richiro though, just in case.”

Alisaie chuckled into her hand. “I will never forget. You and Ozwin, Roll and Kida—Mjnt, Koroko, Richiro, and N’thuzu Tia… you are the ones who freed Grandfather’s soul and saved Eorzea from Bahamut’s wrath. And though these great deeds will never be remembered in song, their consequences will be felt forevermore by every soul who calls this realm home.”

Azlyn nodded once more.

The waterfall in the distance filled the accepting silence between the two—a silent oath—one that solidified with each passing moment. Alisaie sat down at the edge of the outcrop, letting her feet dangle down. Azlyn moved to sit beside her and welcomed the soft breeze that brought over some mist from the waterfall to the north.

Alisaie pulled out her satchel, finding a small white flower from the pouch. She held it up for the two of them to see. She closed her eyes, offering a prayer to the wind. “For Grandfather, Nael, and the dragons of Meracydia—For all those who were taken by the Calamity.”

Azlyn looked up to the fragment and offered a silent prayer of her own. When her prayer was finished, she opened her eyes to look to Alisaie offering the flower up to the sky, palm upward.

A gust of wind picked up around them, taking the offered flower up and far away. They watched the flower flutter in the wind, dancing almost, and toward the fragment.

Alisaie sighed in relief. “At long last, our struggle with Bahamut is over. The realm, given new life through the prayers and sacrifices of countless souls, may look to a brighter tomorrow.” She nodded, looking up to the sky following Azlyn’s gaze. “When the dust of our adventure has settled, I shall embark on a journey. I mean to find my own reason to fight for Eorzea, and when I do, I will fight with all my being.”

Azlyn had a feeling she would say that, a journey, something she wished to do when she was sixteen. She always wanted to go with her parents—to travel with them—but… “You’ll do great. I know you will, and whenever you need a hand—we’ll be here. We’re like family now—you know?”

The girl giggled. “You have already done so much for me. I hope one day to be able to repay you in kind.”

She teasingly went to bump her arm against hers. “See the world, grow stronger, be someone you wish to be in the future. I have high hopes for you two siblings. You’re already making a splash as it is.” Azlyn smirked.

“Well I have no doubt that you will continue to help those in need Azlyn. I know you’ll grow even stronger as you do. I will endeavor to do the same. If the Twelve are kind, I hope one day to become Eorzea’s sword in the darkness—as you are.”

Azlyn wondered if that was the new rumor on the block. She supposed with the Warrior of Light title it would be obvious people would continue to think so.

“If you’re aspiring to be Eorzea’s sword of Light, I dare not even imagine what Alphinaud is thinking.” She teased.

“Come what may, you may rest assured that I will not be outdone by Alphinaud. He can take his diplomatic talk and spear the next governors for all I care.”

Azlyn laughed, and Alisaie soon joined in the laughter. Together they enjoyed the slight moment of mirth at the behest of her sibling.

“I promise not to disappoint you.” She promised.

“I know you won’t.”

“Thank you—from the bottom of my heart.” Alisaie spoke softly, placing a hand over her chest. It was in that quiet, somber moment when a stomach gurgled loudly.

Azlyn looked down to her own stomach then, wondering why it had to interrupt a good moment. “Well, if that’s not a cue for breakfast—I don’t know what it is. Come on, let’s get you some food before you start your adventure.” The Au Ra stood up from the cliffside and offered the teen a hand.

“Shouldn’t we be getting you that food?” Alisaie laughed to her and accepted the help. They teleported back to the house—and truly marked the end of the Calamity. 

Whoo! With that, the coils of Bahamut are done! We are finished and just have the hundred quests of doom & Crystal Tower before we get into the fun stuff! Heavensward is one of my favorites in the game, next to Shadowbringers.

Hope you’re enjoying the story so far, if there’s something you all would like to see, or more original content meshed in between, feel free to let me know!

0