115 l Moving On
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Azlyn and Alphinaud had come across an interesting story from the mourner that Father Illiud had introduced to them. According to the mourner, he had seen F’lhaminn four summers ago near Costa del Sol—her voice still as beautiful as a birds call. The question remained, however, on if they should believe it as truth. Father Illiud believed that the mourner believed it as truth. And would it be bad to search into something that Minfillia desperately wanted to know the answer to? 

The Au Ra didn’t think so, and if the fates were kind, maybe F’lhaminn was alive and well. It would lift Minfillia’s spirits a bit. 

Their trip to Costa del Sol had been a short one, when they arrived, Azlyn suggested that they go straight to Master Gegeruju—as he would know who’s been in his territory. And it came to a surprising conclusion after the Lalafellin who lounged on his beach chair slid down his sunglasses to look upon the pair. 

“You’d best take your search to Wineport. I’m sure you’ll find who you’re looking for if you pay attention. It’s always a pleasure seeing you Bloody Princess, do make yourself at home. My facilities are ever at your disposal.” 

Azlyn forced out a sweet smile, nodding her head slowly. “Thank you for your generosity Master Gegeruju, but we are on a tight schedule. I will be sure to visit at a later date.” 

The man smiled widely to her. “I look forward to the next we meet. I shall make sure we have the best wine laid out!” 

“You don’t have to do that.” Azlyn rubbed the back of her neck, while Alphinaud gestured to her to follow him. She gave a formal bow of appreciation, and bid her goodbyes. 

Instead of teleporting over, the pair decided it would be good to walk the Bloodshore up to the province of the eastern La Noscean forest. They kept to the travelled paths, talking amicably. 

“As usual you are well loved by the people.” Alphinaud teased her. 

“If I said I don’t know why, would you believe me?” 

“No.” 

Azlyn shrugged, her hand hovering over her grimoire as they walked. “I figured as much. So Alphinaud, what’s new with you? I heard you’ve been busy working on some hush hush thing.” 

The Sharlayan teen nodded. “Aye, well not so much hush hush but something I wish to bring to fruition soon. I was thinking of creating another group—where their goal would be the safekeeping and preservation of Eorzea. It’s still in the works, but I think it would help garner more people to join the cause.” 

“Another Scions group?” She curiously asked—they were passing the rope bridge over the winding river below. 

“Not necessarily.” Alphinaud crossed his arms as he walked. “I’m hoping it could be a sister group to the Scions—where the two groups can help one another out when it is required.” 

Azlyn hummed to herself. “Well, it sounds like a good idea in theory. The problem is finding the people to create something like that.” 

The boy nodded. “I have plans for that, which may require a bit of your assistance in the future. Would you be willing to help?” 

“Yeah, I don’t mind helping you out.” She chuckled. “I believe the saying goes: the more, the merrier?” 

Alphinaud chuckled. “When I get my stuff organized I’ll let you know—but first I feel the Scions require most of the attention. If we can get the Scions to a better location and set them up for success, then I can focus on other things that must needs be required.” 

They past the storeroom by the docks by this point, seeing the white walls of Wineport further past the bridge. Azlyn could smell the sweet smell of grapes in the air—definitely different comparatively to the musty, thick humidity that hung in the forest behind them. 

As they made their way into Wineport, Azlyn could see a few familiar faces. She could see the blind Lalafellin, Shamani Lohmani, working on the wall of grapevines. He was smelling the fruits, giving each a thorough examination. 

She could also see the militia men and women running squadrons—the captain that had yelled to the people about Curious Gorge—she could see a young girl—the same one they saved when Curious Gorge’s brother set a rampage through the forest. She was too drawn in to the familiar faces, when Alphinaud resorted to grabbing her arm to get her attention. 

“Azlyn—by the Twelve—that’s her.” She brought her attention to where Alphinaud pointed. Under the shade of the bridge knelt a Miqo’te woman—her short white hair, white perked ears, pale white skin. She wore a pair of bifocals that accented her pink eyes well. She wore a simple pink dress, with a white apron. It appeared she was gathering some flowers and herbs growing there. 

“That’s F’lhaminn? You’re positive?”

“Absolutely.” He let her arm go to approach the stranger. “Pray excuse me—but are you F’lhaminn?” 

The woman tensed upon the name, straightening up from the ground and forgetting about the flowers she had been gathering. She gave the two of them a look, her eyes flickering a few moments longer on Alphinaud. 

“I see. How did you find me?” 

Azlyn offered the explanation. “There have been rumors of you being alive Miss F’lhaminn. We just followed the trail of people and it led here.”

F’lhaminn gazed to her, her pink cat irises seemed to read into her. “And who are you to want to find me?” 

“My name is Azlyn Ahz’el. I’m here on behalf of the Scions of the Seventh Dawn.” She bowed formally to her. “I apologize for the lack of introduction. My friend beside me is—“ 

“Alphinaud Leveilleur, at your service.” He too bowed. “It would be our greatest pleasure to inform Minfillia of your survival! To this day, she pines for you to show up in Vesper Bay. Would you not consider coming with us to see her at least once?” 

Now this elicited a reaction from the Miqo’te, as she brought both of her hands in front of her apron. Her eyes lowered to the ground, seeming a bit lost or unsure. Azlyn couldn’t tell which. 

“Believe me when I tell you that I am every bit as eager to return to Vesper Bay as you are... There is work to be done ere that, however...” 

Alphinaud jumped to Azlyn’s side, postulating to the Au Ra. “What needs be done? Azlyn will be most grateful to assist you in your work!” 

Azlyn snapped her attention to the boy. “Volunteering me now? Okay. Okay.” She shook her head lightly before turning back to F’lhaminn. “We’ll both help you with whatever unfinished work you need done. Alphinaud won’t be standing here wasting oxygen—right buddy?” 

“—R-right!” It appeared her tone had darkened a tad. 

F’lhaminn chuckled to the pair. “If you two would be helpful then I require pristine salamander oil to complete my perfume.” 

“Perfume.” His tone indicated that he was ready to argue about why perfume would need to be set on a high priority, but Azlyn intercepted him with a perfectly timed smack on the back. 

“Of course we’ll find some pristine salamander oil. Would it be better if it’s fresh or just bought from a merchant?” 

F’lhaminn chuckled to her. “Fresh is always better. The oil that pure can only be obtained from the belly of a gurangatch, a notoriously elusive species of wave kin native to the Bronze Lake. Elusive, I say, yet no less sensible to the allure of the right bait. In this instance, that would be freshly slain mud pugils. Three placed at the water’s edge should be sufficient to tempt any gurangatch lurking nearby.” 

Alphinaud grabbed his chin in thought, trying to think back to something. “If I recall from my studies, aren’t gurangatch’s extremely aggressive when startled?” 

The Miqo’te smiled over to him. “Yes, they are known to attack on sight. But given you have the Bloody Princess of the Sea—or the newly acclaimed Warrior of Light—with you—I doubt a simple gurangatch will be much concern.” She then winked to Azlyn. 

The girl awkwardly turned away, more in embarrassment than from the praise. She still couldn’t get used to people referring to her as her original title. It wasn’t that much longer before the pair of them were back on the road again—as they traveled north of Wineport to the white pavers that started to head further north. 

Along the way, they did find three mud pugils—a small, fish like monster with a tall fin. With the three corpses in a separate bag, they traveled further north into Bronze Lake. Alphinaud held the bag of corpses a bit further away than himself, but he didn’t neglect speaking about the architecture of the fallen ruins. 

“Before this area had been proclaimed as part of the Nymian dynasty.” He directed her attention to the Wanderer’s Palace in the distance. “You can see the Wanderer’s Palace, still towering over the glistening waters of Bronze Lake! They say that treasure can be found within—if you an get past the tonberries that reside within.” 

They walked as far north before the small shore dropped off into the deep of the lake. Azlyn grabbed the bag of the three dead pugils, dropping them unceremoniously upon the ground. She then gestured for Alphinaud to follow her to a spot further back. 

“Are you interested in treasure hunting Alphinaud?” Azlyn asked as she led to them a lone, dead tree with a bit of cover from the marsh-like plants. 

“Me? No—but it seems like a fun adventure. Maybe the others would be interested in it.” 

Azlyn laughed, keeping an eye upon the corpses at the edge of the lake. “Actually Kida, Mjnt, Thuzu, Richiro, and Koroko were there on request of the Grand Companies. Some individuals had been reported missing and they wanted to know what was causing the disappearances.” 

Alphinaud blinked, “Oh, so what did they find out?” 

“A bunch of tonberries did live within Wanderer’s Palace—and the reason why there were so many missing people had been thanks to the large protective tonberries who were protecting their territory. And there was no treasure. Kida made sure to point that out immediately.” 

“You didn’t go with them?” He made sure to hide himself using the tree, and avoided getting his legs wet from the lake that surrounded them. 

She shook her head, thinking back to the day where they were preparing for what she assumed had been a wedding. “I was working on another assignment. Ozwin and myself had a bit of a problem in Tam-Tara Deepcroft, but we— we dealt with that.” 

The splashing noises from the edge of the lake drew their attention. Two large legs emerged, soon followed by the gaping maw of a larger salamander. They could hear the crunch of bones as the Salamander—the gurangatch—began eating one of the pugil corpses. 

“That’s morbidly disgusting.” Alphinaud winced at the sight. 

Azlyn brought out her axe, knowing that she would have to slice open the belly after killing it. “If it makes you queasy, you can look away. It’ll probably get a bit messy.” She lofted her axe up. 

He merely pulled his grimoire, summoning his carbuncle. “And leave you with all the fun?” 

“You say that now.” She laughed, and charged at the large gurangatch that started to eat the second pugil. She jumped up, her axe blade already in position to cleave the base of the back of it’s head. After a meaty thunk, she continued in her quest—one thwack after another—another they were left with the carcass of the large creature. 

She had a bit of blood of the creature decorated on her outfit. 

“I see why they call you the bloody princess.” Alphinaud approached from behind, looking her up and down. 

“Not over.” Azlyn went to flip the creature over onto the back. Alphinaud went to help, and together they flipped it. “I still have to cut open the belly.” 

“Is this like the frog experiments that the Studiem holds?” He curiously peered, and he watched as Azlyn jumped up to the belly. She held the axe expertly before slowly running the blade from the throat of the creature to the underbelly. 

A few moments later her hands were covered in blood but she found the oil sack that F’lhaminn required. She delicately handed it over to Alphinaud who cringed at the blood and guts. 

“Is it really like the frog experiments in the studiem?” Azlyn teased, going to jump into the lake. It was the quickest and fastest way to get the blood off her. 

“Uh... I recall it being less—er—bloody.” 

She pulled herself back out from the lake, letting her hair drip water with the murky lake water. “You know they drain those frogs of the blood so it isn’t messy.” She wrung the ends of her hair with her hands. “Although I’m pretty sure they do that so that they don’t have students vomiting or passing out.” 

Alphinaud returned the oil sac to her, allowing her to grab out an empty vial in her bag. She carefully poured the pristine oil within the glass, and then closed it up with the cork. 

With the pristine salamander oil, they walked back to Wineport—giving Azlyn time to dry while they walked. By the time they returned, they found F’lhaminn with a basket full of flowers waiting for them. She smiled warmly to them. 

“Have you procured the oil?” 

Azlyn held out the vial for her. “Special delivery!” 

The Miqo’te smiled. “Thank you, I am in your debt.” She started to walk over to a small building—one that she presumably lived within during her time there. “I distilled some flowers’ oils in your absence. So all that remains is to add a bit of this oil, and a bit of incense... there.” F’lhaminn smiled and produced a vial of the perfume she concocted. “With this, I am ready. It is time we went to see my daughter.” 

Alphinaud gave a cheerful fist pump to his side, and Azlyn had to shake her head. 

“Shall we teleport over to Horizon, and walk the rest of the way?” 

“Hold your chocobos Azlyn.” Alphinaud started to pull out three pieces of papers—there were markings upon the page that oddly resembled an Arcanist’s symbol of teleportation. “I had asked Urianger to craft me several tickets to teleport directly to Vesper Bay. I only use them when it is necessary.” 

F’lhaminn accepted the ticket, before disappearing in the teleport. Alphinaud handed Azlyn one before he activated his. 

“If he had some of these, why couldn’t they bother to give me a couple. Jeez.” Azlyn stared down at the paper, and let the paper take her to the final destination. 

Lapping ocean sounds, the smell of the sea—the decent amount of humidity that didn’t stiffen the air as it did in Raincatcher Gully. She rejoined the two, walking over to the Waking Sands building. F’lhaminn confidently opened the doors, seeing the looks of shock as she passed. Alphinaud strode in confidently next to her, and Azlyn followed in last. 

She could feel the guards staring at their backs as they entered the staircase to head down within. 

Alphinaud slightly jogged ahead, grabbing the doors to the Solar for the Miqo’te woman. “Allow me... Minfillia!” He happily called within. His voice echoed in the quiet space. “You have a guest!” 

Minfillia turned around, Azlyn could tell from the expression that dawned on her features that this guest was someone that greatly shocked her.

“Lhaminn!” 

F’lhaminn smiled warmly to her, walking into the solar. “Ascilla...” 

Minfillia hurried her way around the desk, ignoring the rest of the group as they started to peer in from the hall. They all were shocked at the sight of this Miqo’te. The Antecedent ran over to her, hugging the woman deeply. Azlyn saw how relieved she was at just her presence. 

Azlyn thought it was fortunate that Minfillia looked gladdened. 

Tataru who had been organizing the bookshelf walked to Azlyn. She whispered to her. “I haven’t seen her like this in years, Azlyn!” 

Azlyn nodded. “I’m glad this worked out.” 

Minfillia pulled away from the hug, wiping her face. “I—I never truly believed it when they told me you were dead—But what kept you away for so long?” 

The Miqo’te explained exquisitely. “The imperials came for me, as I always knew they would. And so I resolved to stay as far away from you as I could, lest their pursuit of me endanger you and our cause. I could think of no better way to grant you the freedom to continue our work.” She smiled, reaching a hand out to rub the Antecedents arm. “And continue it you did, achieving things I would not have imagined possible. I followed your every success and celebrated in secret.” She nodded. “I’m so proud of you Ascilla.” 

Minfillia shook her head, chuckling in happiness. “I learned from the best.” She spoke with her raw emotions on her heart. 

“I have a gift for you.” F’lhaminn started to bring out the vial of perfume that she had asked their help in procuring one of the main ingredients. 

“Celsettia perfume! You remembered!” Minfillia looked to the vial in her hand. 

“How could I ever forget? You wore it all the time. If I ever lost sight of you, I could find you again, just by following my nose.” 

“I did not think it was made anymore. You must have gone to so much trouble—” 

Alphinaud perked up behind her. “You’re welcome!” 

Azlyn shook her head, chuckling silently. 

F’lhaminn nodded, looking to the pair behind her daughter. “It was no trouble to me, I fear I cannot say the same for Azlyn and Alphinaud. I could not have made it without their help.” 

Minfillia looked to them, as Alphinaud confidently raised his nose in the air. Azlyn shrugged. 

“Is that why your clothes are wet Azlyn?” Minfillia gasped, then turned to Tataru. “Pray, we should get her a change of clothes.” 

The Au Ra shook her head. “By my own volition—I didn’t want to be bloody.” 

Alphinaud chuckled. “I now see the truth in some of the stories they told in the autobiography.” 

Minfillia smiled. “Thank you Azlyn—thank you both.” 

“There’s something else.” F’lhaminn replied, drawing her daughter’s attention. Tataru snuck by, sneaking through the Scions who were not doing well in their eavesdropping to hide. The woman pulled out a small gem from her satchel. 

Minfillia gasped at the sight of the gem. “This is the cat’s-eye I found! All these years you kept it!” The antecedent started to explain more to the pair of them—ignoring her added audience outside the Solar doors. “My father was a member of the Ala Mhigan Resistance. When I was yet a child, he brought me here to Ul’dah. The accident which claimed his life happened shortly after our arrival.” She gestured to F’lhaminn with an arm. “It was Lhaminn who took care of me then. She raised me as her own—taught me everything I needed to know to survive.”

Alphinaud nodded, a small smile gracing his face. “I am no stranger to your history, yet I fear I have failed to grasp their implications. It is clear that there is much I do not know—about you and your mother both.” 

The Antecedent smiled back, “One of her first lessons to me concerned mining—and I was a very dedicated student.” She lifted the cat’s eye up for Azlyn to see. “This cat’s-eye was the first stone I unearthed. It wasn’t much, of course, but I was exceedingly proud to have found it nonetheless. So I gave it to Lhaminn as a gift. She said it was beautiful... But there I am at a loss. Why are you returning this to me? Is something amiss?” She turned to her mother, wondering why. 

Her mother shook her head. “No, nothing is amiss Ascilla. Quite the opposite. I need you to realize how far you’ve come, and how much further you may still—must still go.” She once again explained with an understanding. “You and your allies have accomplished more than I could ever have hoped. You have succeeded where I failed, and made me so proud that—that words fail me. But even I marvel at the woman you’ve become, and at all the many things you’ve done. I cannot help but think of that which you have yet to do, and of what it may entail.” She nodded. “Ascilla—daughter—you cannot stay here anymore. You and the Scions must leave Ul’dah.”

Azlyn wondered how she was able to pick out the most important thing the Scions needed to do in order to move on—and they hadn’t even said anything about it. It just showed the Au Ra that F’lhaminn had a good understanding of what was going on—and what was needed to be done. 

Minfillia seemed taken back by her words, and turned to the pair who raised their hands up in defense. 

“We said nothing!” Azlyn defended Alphinaud because it appeared she was about to call him out. 

He nodded in equal fervor. 

Sighing in defeat, Minfillia gazed back to her mother. “Lhaminn...” She sounded unsure. As if she didn’t know if it was something that could be done. 

“You built it once, Ascilla. You can build it again. And this time, we’ll do it together.” F’lhaminn replied with a warm smile. 

“Truly?”

With F’lhaminn’s nod of approval, Minfillia relaxed visibly. She raised a hand to her chest, feeling the relief come to her. 

“Alphinaud.” She called at last. 

The Sharlayan teen straightened. “Yes Antecedent?” 

“The time has come for the Scions to leave Vesper Bay. We shall establish a new Headquarters in Revenant’s Toll, as you all proposed.”

Alphinaud grin widened, before he gave her a bow. “I shall get the process started!” 

Minfillia then turned her attention to the door where she called to the others eavesdropping. “Much work lies ahead of us. Inform the Students of Baldesion. We shall begin preparations at once!” 

Azlyn watched as the Scions jumped up from their spot, she could see Yda and Papalymo running enthusiastically to the storeroom while Thancred and Y’shtola nodded. Urianger stepped out to bow to them before heading off to inform their sister group. 

Tataru ran into the office with some new clothes for Azlyn to change into. With everything in place—all that was left was securing the building in Revenant’s Toll. And for her to change out of her damp clothes. 

0