124 l The Syndicate
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Raubahn took his spot on the left hand side of the table, at the upper corner by the sultana. Azlyn could recognize a few of the members sitting at the table, as the five members already sitting turned their frosty gazes to them. 

Alphinaud gestured for Yugiri to take the front, by the end of the table. Yugiri bowed formally to them, placing her hand over her chest. “I, Yugiri of Doma, am honored to meet you at last, Your Grace. To mark this auspicious occasion I should like to present to you the finest treasures our humble nation has to offer...” She sadly shook her head, a deep expression of pain crossed over her face. “Alas, the circumstances which have brought me here today have divested me of both time and dignity. I come before you as a pauper in direst need of aid—to request that you grant my people asylum.” 

Azlyn watched to table—gauging the reactions of the Syndicate. She could see several of the Lalafellin’s remain stoic—their faces held no emotions—left no sign of indication. The only one she could tell seemed empathetic had been the sultana herself, as her green eyes crinkled in worry. 

“I, Nanamo, seventeenth in the line of Ul, welcome you to our city. Be at ease, Lady Yugiri.” The sultana welcomed her, her soft voice echoed in the hall. “Although I myself have heard the tale of your misfortune, I would ask that you recount it once more for the benefit of the others here present.” 

Yugiri nodded. “As you wish, Your Grace.” She paused, looking to the members as she recounted the events. “For many years, my nation, Doma, suffered under the yoke of imperial rule, and my people yearned to be free. Thus, when a war of succession broke out in Garlemald, we sought to take advantage of the chaos and reclaim our liberty. Alas, our enemy proved less preoccupied than we had hoped, and our rebellion was put down in the most brutal fashion.” 

Raubahn crossed his arms over his chest, calling down the table to her. “Those who survived—how many do they number?” 

“More than two hundred souls huddle within the cramped confines of our own galleon’s hold. Yet this figure accounts for but one of a number of ships which escaped the purge. It is my hope that you will allow us all to dwell within your walls. Should that prove unfeasible, however, I humbly ask that you accept as many of my people as your resources allow.” Lady Yugiri spoke calmly. She never hesitated as she spoke for the well being of her people. 

Azlyn could see some dissension start to grow in some of the Syndicate at the mention of spending resources.

“Pray understand, we do not beg a boon, but propose instead an arrangement. We would serve—as soldiers or tradesmen—until our debt is repaid.” She added, noting the grumbles throughout the table. 

Raubahn turned to the table, gesturing to them. “What are the Syndicate’s opinion on this matter?” 

The Lalafellin sitting next to Raubahn, dressed in a green long overcoat and red sleeved tunic spoke. He was a bit older, his chin sported a pointed gray beard—and his graying  hair pulled up into his merchant’s hat. 

“I, for one, think it’s a marvelous idea. Lady Yugiri and her people strike me as an industrious lot, and there are parts of the city which have yet to be fully restored. If they are willing to work, I see no reason not to let them.” 

Roll had been uncomfortable, her fists clenched tightly at her side. She was looking to the man speaking with a deep loathsome glare. 

Alphinaud leaned over to whisper to Azlyn. “The head of the Mirage Trust is not known for his generosity. He sees profit in this.” 

Unbeknownst to their whispers the table continued their talk. Raubahn concurred with the man that led the Mirage Trust. “I agree. That said, these are foreign refugees. To admit them would require a formal resolution. Shall we call a vote?” 

One Lalafellin on the other side of the table crossed his arms. He was dressed in a white over coat with a red tunic. His upper face had been covered by a black eye shield attached to his hat. He also had a graying upside-down U shaped mustache and beard. He leaned back in his chair as he spoke directly across the table.

“The law is the law.” 

This caused the table to turn to him in question. 

The leader of the Mirage Trust quirked his head. “Lord Lolorito?” 

“Tell me, are you blind or willfully ignorant? Even now, our streets are choked with the displaced victims of the Calamity and Ala Mhigan refugees.” His voice never wavered as he spoke his mind. “They live hand-to-mouth, subsisting on aid provided by the Immortal Flames—the cost of which grows ever higher!”

The table grew in discontent. Their grumbles continued. 

Lord Lolorito tacked on with simple precision. “The wealth of Ul’dah is not without limits, my friends. And need I remind you that these refugees are prone to violence and criminal activity? You have all read the reports, I think?”

Azlyn clenched her fists, but Alphinaud grabbed her by the hand. He shook his head, signaling to her that she shouldn’t interfere. Kida hung back, wringing her hands in front of her as she also held her tongue. They all knew that their voices may hurt the Doman proposition—it didn’t matter if they were the saviors of the realm or not. 

“Without homes or employment, it is only a matter of time before men grow desperate, and take that which they imagine has been unjustly denied them. Yet, knowing this, you would have us swell their ranks. Mayhap you think the Brass Blades and the Flames are not hard-pressed enough?” 

Alphinaud whispered to them, keeping it as low as possible. “Some say the chairman of the East Aldenard Trading Company passes Gil thrice daily. This may explain how he came to be the wealthiest man in Ul’dah. Or it may simply be that he’s ruthless beyond reckoning.” 

Azlyn grimaced. “It’s unfair to pass general discrimination as he has.” 

Roll leaned over to her, keeping her voice low. “Azlyn—it’d be best to not cross their paths. They are ruthless.” 

Nanamo spoke up after Lord Lolorito. “Surely the sultanate can support the few hundred Domans Lady Yugiri represents? That our resources have been taxed I do not deny, but we are hardly in danger of financial collapse. I move that an exception be made.”

He scoffed to her, shaking his head. “An exemption, Your Grace? I am suddenly reminded of a similar debate some years ago, regarding a number of Ala Mhigan refugees, if memory serves.” 

The table quieted, before some started to whisper between one another. Azlyn had a bad feeling that this would turn wrong. 

“What were your words that day? Ah, yes—“The law is the law”. And so our visitors remained in Little Ala Mhigo.” 

The goosebumps that rose over Azlyn’s arms as the first words that came from his mouth re-emerged. She thought of the Ala Mhigan refugees in Little Ala Mhigo—they suffered to this day—hating all outsiders and Ul’dahn’s equally. She wondered if it was based upon the ruling of them being denied aid. 

“Mayhap our wise and benevolent sultana would be so good as to enlighten us as to which other of our laws should not be upheld?” Lord Lolorito’s tone turned sardonic, as if mocking Nanamo for considering the exemption. 

Raubahn bit back, his tone angry. “Mind your tongue, Lolorito.” 

The man beside the General spoke as if offended for her grace’s benefit. “My Lord, I share your concern for the welfare of our great nation, but we must endeavor to take a longer view. You know as well as I that people can be a resource still more precious than Gil.” 

Lolorito scoffed. “Precious or not, they were never yet so reliable. And unlike those who frequent your establishment, I have no desire to gamble with my future. Ul’dah’s greatest asset is, and has ever been, her material wealth. We risk this at our peril.” As if to prove his point, he looked squarely to the man from the Mirage Trust. “One need only look to Teledji Adeledji’s example for evidence of the danger in allowing sentiment to dictate policy. How far the vaunted Mirage has fallen, both in repute and profitability, since he began employing refugees.” 

Teledji Adeledji flared, interrupting the Lalafellin. “How I choose to conduct my affairs is not your concern, my Lord!” 

Raubahn jumped in to stop the fight that was bound to break out between both the men. “A proposal has been tabled. Given the urgency, I move we forgo further debate and call a vote. To accept the Doman refugees or not. Those in favor, I bid you remain. Those opposed, I bid you leave.” 

Lord Lolorito hopped out of his chair immediately, walking down the table without a word. He passed the members and then their group without glancing back. Azlyn kept her eyes glued on the others. The woman by Lolorito hopped out of her chair, joining him—alongside the Midlander Hyur and cloaked individual. The only ones who remained happened to be the sultana, Raubahn, and Teledji Adeledji. 

The Doman assistants worriedly looked to the four who left without a word—and Azlyn clenched her fists. It was obvious now that the motion was not passed. 

Yugiri’s shoulders slumped, shaking her head to the sudden turn of events. 

The sultana left her chair, alongside Raubahn to head over to them. She offered her empathetic apology. “Would that it were within my power to welcome you and your people, lady Yugiri. As you have observed, however, my authority in such matters is regrettably limited. Without of the consent of the Syndicate, I cannot act.”

“I understand, Your Grace.” Yugiri bowed to her, she remained poised even in the event of bad news. “And I appreciate all that you have done on our behalf.” 

Teledji Adeledji grumbled as he walked past Raubahn, he shook his head. “The nerve of that man. If that bastard had not forsaken the eastern trade route, Little Ala Mhigo would now be thriving.” He stopped in his walk, peering to Yugiri. “That you should have traveled so far, under such dire circumstances, only to be refused in this manner is utterly unconscionable. Pray accept my sincerest apologies.” 

Yugiri bowed to him, and he clicked his tongue at the recent vote. He moved past them, faltering in his gait to look up to Roll. He smiled up to her, which caused the Au Ra to lower her head in greeting. 

“It’s been some time Roll—your mother has been working hard under my tutelage, if only Lord Lolorito could see the benefit of hiring others not of these lands.” Teledji walked past her, and the door slammed shut behind them. 

Roll clenched her fists tight, but never uttered a word. 

Azlyn looked to her cousin in concern, wondering what had happened. “Roll?” 

She shook her head, not wishing explain. Alphinaud gazed between them, before sighing himself. 

Raubahn crossed his arms over his chest. He shook his head. “Now that the Empire no longer poses an immediate threat, they see little reason to maintain the pretense of unity.” The general sighed. “The Monetarists have grown especially defiant of late—Lord Lolorito most of all. But this is neither the time nor place for that discussion.”

It was in this moment where the sultana gazed up to Azlyn, before smiling warmly. “Azlyn—might I inquire where you received that ribbon?”

The Au Ra jumped at Nanamo’s question, completely forgetting about her earlier problem that morning. It all came back to her as she profusely bowed to her. “Your Grace I am sorry for deceiving you—I had been turned into a cat and had no idea that General Raubahn would present me as a gift.” 

Azlyn remained bowed as Raubahn barked in laughter. “No wonder your eyes were familiar!” 

“I thought Snowball had been injured in the early assassination attempt, but I see my worries can be put to rest.” Nanamo chuckled into her hand, before reaching up to pat her on the crown of her head. “Please, keep that ribbon as thanks for preventing an attempt on my life. But I do wonder how you turned into a cat.” 

Kida hopped over, glad to speak after a frustrating situation. “So an Ul’dahn merchant scammed Roll and I with a transformation potion—Azlyn drank it, and then that’s how she became a cat! Oh, and that merchant is in the hands of the alchemy guild. He’s being punished accordingly!” 

Roll nodded. 

“We can charge him in the full extent of the law if you wish it.” Raubahn stared, looking down to the embarrassed Au Ra. “There are laws that prohibit certain potions to be sold, and that does fall under one of the many categories.” 

Azlyn snapped up, shaking her head. “No, no, it’s quite alright! Roll managed to retrieve an antidote—and the man is currently at the Alchemist’s guild. I would just recommend keeping an eye on him—and making sure he stays on the lawful path.” 

Alphinaud cleared his throat, bringing their attention over to him and the Doman refugees that he spoke to. “I propose we speak on our next course of action. Azlyn, Roll, Kida?” 

The trio nodded, before the sultana bid them farewell. “Thank you, and safe travels.” 

Raubahn led them out of the audience hall, where they reconvened on the red carpet. Alphinaud tapped his foot upon the ground thinking. “Hmmm...” 

The General noticed, before offering his own insight. “As you observed, Lord Lolorito is not afraid to speak his mind—nor is he like to change it.” 

“He’s outspoken.” Kida burst out, as her feet tapped in beat to a rhythm only she knew of. “And a bit of a dick. But true in some cases.” 

“Oft have I wondered how a man so skilled at weighing the worth of things should be so incapable of seeing the value in people but I will waste no more words on him—not when the Domans are yet in need of aid. Everyone, follow me to the Hall of Flames.” The General led them away from the Royal Promenade, and a silent reprise fell over them. Only the sounds of their footsteps on the ground kept them company as they were led to the Immortal Flames post. 

Raubahn moved them through the hustling strip, ignoring the aetheryte crystal and past the red carpet. They followed a long spiral staircase down, before coming into one of the busy avenues within the market. Traversing through had been easy enough, as the crowds split apart and out of the Flame General’s way. Some greeted them on their way through, while others whispered to one another.

Their walk lasted no more than ten to fifteen minutes, where they found themselves at the heart of the Hall of Flames. The counter had been packed as usual—many adventurers and Immortal Flame cadets were turning in their provisions and gear they may have found in their days work.

The General gathered them in a huddled circle off to the side. “The Syndicate has spoken, and I see no point in moving that the matter be reconsidered. The Monetarists have made their position clear.”

Kida hummed to herself before frowning. “What a bunch of assholes.”

Roll stifled the laugh that emerged at the back of her throat.

Alphinaud ignored her jab to the Monetarists, raising his hand to cup his chin in thought. “Indeed. Ul’dah is not an option. Nor are Limsa Lominsa or Gridania I judge, given the state of their internal affairs.” The Sharlayan teen shuddered when he next said. “Which leaves our Doman friends confined to a ship. Gods, the thought of them huddled in an airless hold with no hope of better treatment…”

Azlyn shook her head. There must be something that they could do. “What about Mor Dhona?”

Alphinaud blinked in shock. “Mor Dhona… THAT’S IT!” He snapped his fingers as he started to piece together an idea. He lifted a hand to his linkpearl to make a call. “Minfillia, pray spare me a bit of your time.”

There was a momentary pause before he smiled. “That is precisely what I wished to discuss. Would it be possible to send—” The lad walked away from their group to speak with the Antecedent.

Yugiri, meanwhile, spoke to the three Auri leaning back on the wall. “I understand the Syndicate’s decision, I do. We all wish to preserve that which is ours, especially when we believe it to be under siege.”

Kida scoffed. “Pst—all these money grubbing fucks want is more gold to line their pockets. You heard what he said in there. We all did. All they care for is their monetary gains—not the people themselves.”

Roll sighed heavily, shaking her head. “It’s a wonder Ul’dah even manages to maintain functionality—given all the troubles it’s in.” 

Raubahn glanced over to her, his lips pursed with nothing to refute her claim.

“I cannot accept this judgement.” Yugiri spoke calmly. “Not while my people suffer. Would it be out of the question for the Syndicate to accept us for a limited time? A week, mayhap, or even just a few days?”

Azlyn crossed her arms, looking up to the ceiling. “The law is the law…” She murmured, thinking back to the words Lord Lolorito spoke.

Kida glared over to her. “The hell are you spouting his nonsense for?”

“I’m not… but…” Azlyn sighed heavily. “Unfortunately, the Syndicate is tied on that manner—if we’re going off previous calls of action. I understand terribly about your cause, Lady Yugiri, truly I do—but the Ala Mhigan refugees have been requesting aid, calling for support, dying on the borders of the beastmens land for a long time now—If the Syndicate approved the Domans over the refugees currently displaced—it might lead to riots in the refugee camps.”

“Azlyn’s got a point.” Roll spoke up. “Ul’dah is already on the verge of breaking. All it would take is a single thread to snap, and the whole town could light up in flames.”

“That would not happen.” General Raubahn spoke at last. “I will protect these lands and make it so that doesn’t happen.”

“I pray you do, General Raubahn.” Azlyn said calmly. “I hope nothing terrible comes to fruition to these people—but it is unfortunate given the current situation.”

“Excellent! I shall keep you informed!” Alphinaud rejoined them, he happily ended his call. “Lady Yugiri, I have a proposal, if you would hear it.”

The woman gave him a surprised look. “What is it Master Alphinaud?”

They all were listening, given the cheerful disposition of the lad. “The headquarters of my order, the Scions of the Seventh Dawn, stands in a place called Revenant’s Toll, an outpost in Mor Dhona. Upon Azlyn’s suggestion, a thought occurred to me that perhaps this may be a suitable location. Like most outposts, it is frequented by mercenaries and other men of action, and lacks the comforts of more well-established settlements—however, the leaders of Revenant’s Toll have been doing their utmost to change that.” He grinned, lifting a finger to pose to them. “To that end, they have need of able-bodied individuals willing to work as frontier hands. Hard labor, lest you doubt, with naught save food and shelter by way of reward.”

Kida jumped up in celebration. “Whoo!”

General Raubahn nodded, looking to the Doman woman. “Terms not unlike those which you yourself proposed, Lady Yugiri.”

She nodded, “I should be happy to accept if they can accommodate us all.”

A mirthful chuckling came from the front of the group—where Teledji Adeledji emerged from the bustling crowd of adventurers. He smirked to their group, greeting them with a minor bow. “Though I will not hear a word said against our beloved Ul’dah, Revenant’s Toll would offer certain advantages—the absence of unhelpful bureaucracy being the most obvious.”

Roll hardened her gaze, her posture tensed as she remained leaned upon the wall. “Good evening Teledji Adeledji. What do we owe the honor?”

The Lalafellin smiled to her, his expression remained as a friendly advisor. “I worried about our Doman friends, and having heard you coming to the Hall of Flames decided to come offer what little resources I have available. Seeing as you’ve come up with a suitable arrangement, I find myself thoroughly pleased.”

Yugiri bowed formally to the group. “You have my gratitude and thanks.”

Alphinaud spoke resolutely to them, as he once again moved around her appreciation. “Pray do not thank us, my lady. The life your people go to is one of hard labor and few comforts, as I told you. And before that, there remains the matter of how they may safely be borne to Revenant’s Toll—which will be no small feat, considering the distance and their present condition.”

Kida tapped her hands on the wall’s ledge behind her. “Maybe the adventurers guild could help? They might have ways in place for people to travel and the like.”

“Excellent suggestion Kida!” Alphinaud grinned.

General Raubahn nodded, “Lady Yugiri, if you and your people would accompany me, we may discuss what aid the Immortal Flames can provide alongside Master Teledeji’s offer.”

The Sharlayan pointed to Roll and Kida, “If I could ask the two of you to keep Lady Yugiri and her people company—Azlyn and I shall go to the adventurer’s guild and find suitable arrangements anon.”

Roll awkwardly looked to Teledji Adeledji, and back to Lady Yugiri who started to follow General Raubahn. “Understood. Alphinaud, keep an eye on my cousin.”

“I shall do my best!”

“I resent that.”

Alphinaud beckoned Azlyn to follow him, given that the group made their way to the counter. Many of the officers saluted the General as they started their discussions. The pair moved back to the street, where they followed the curved pathway down toward the adventurer’s guild.

“Alphinaud, what really is going on in Ul’dah?” Azlyn asked as they walked a comfortable pace.

The lad let out a sizeable exhale of breath, before considering her question. “As you witnessed earlier, the Syndicate has a bit more power than what the sultana currently has. And given the lack of a war—thanks to the hard work you all did in the Praetorium—they are wont to lose more wealth than absolutely necessary.”

“It just seems like the sultana doesn’t have any power at all.” Azlyn sighed, just as frustrated. “Not to mention Roll’s strange behavior. She’s not one to become visibly agitated.”

“You may have to probe your cousin about that one—I don’t know much about your family history—as she is not wont to speak of it—and you don’t speak of it either.” Alphinaud brought up at last.

“The thing is, I don’t know what it is that’s bothering her.” She scrunched her nose, wondering how best to handle that one. “I’m glad we came to a suitable arrangement, but something just rubs me the wrong way. Like my buttons are all buttoned up wrong or something.”

Her analogy gave even Alphinaud a moment to process, wondering how such a strange thing could feel. “That’d be a weird feeling—I suppose if one buttoned their blouse the wrong way.”

“Not literally.”

“I know.” The boy quietly mused. “You’ll let us know if your family needs anything though—won’t you? After all, it feels like our families had been tied to one another since my Grandfather’s time.”

She chuckled, thinking back to the Archon and his visits to the Archives. They were rare but she knew her father enjoyed them. “I will try.”

“No trying Azlyn Ahz’el, you either do or you don’t.”

Azlyn laughed, “You sounded just like Alisaie then.”

Alphinaud beamed with pride. “We are twins, of course we’d have similar ways of talking. If you noticed, sometimes she’ll describe things just as I do—or use certain words when she gets upset.”

“Confound it all.” Azlyn quoted them, more of a tease than anything else.

“I resent that.” He deadpanned back, which inevitably led both to laugh at each other.

“I think we’re going to be rubbing off of each other at this point.” 

Alphinaud smiled, “I believe that has already happened, but come—the adventurer’s guild is just up these flights of stairs.” There was a fountain at the center, making the staircases curve around it in an upward fashion. They walked over to Momodi’s counter, and Azlyn happily noted the posters of the cat had been taken down.

“Good evenin’, what can I do for ya?” The proprietress smiled over to them as they both too seats in front of her.

“We are concerned that the Doman refugees may find the journey to Revenant’s Toll too much to bear—too long have they been sequestered abroad their ship, with insufficient supplies and scarce room enough to breathe. Pray, Mistress Momodi, is there aught you can do?”

The Lalafellin drummed her fingers, as she looked up to the ceiling of her establishment. “I can accommodate some of the Domans until they are ready to set of for Mor Dhona. It might cost ya a bit of gil to do.” She grinned deviously.

“How much?” Azlyn posed her question, but Alphinaud waved it off.

“Pray use the coffers I possess for the accommodations; it is the least I can do.” He smiled.

“Well if Master Alphinaud from House Levellieur is buying, I can’t complain. I’ll gladly take on any who need boarding.”

“Perfect!” He snapped his fingers at the settled agreement. “Those healthy enough to travel will embark as soon as transportation has been secured, while those too weak to leave at once will be permitted to stay until they regain their strength.”

Momodi pulled out her contracts, signing up the deals and the lad looked over the details. He pointed out a few ambiguous zeros in the amount before Momodi laughed at him. She crossed out the amount and rewrote a plausible number.

“Pleasure seeing you Mistress Momodi.” Alphinaud waved goodbye, and the proprietress nodded back. “Shall we head back to the Hall of Flames?”

Azlyn got up from her seat, only to see at the doors of the Quicksand a large group walking toward them. She recognized General Raubahn right away, as well as Lady Yugiri with her group. Kida and Roll took up the rear, speaking quietly amongst one another.

“Or not.” Alphinaud smiled up to their new arrivals.

“What news?’ Raubahn jumped right into the discussion.

Alphinaud explained what they still lacked then. “Transportation remains our only obstacle. General, is there aught the Immortal Flames can do?”

“I fear that exceeds our mandate.” He grumbled, crossing his arms. “If it were a smaller number, mayhap it would go unnoticed. But the Syndicate will not bear the cost of escorting more than two hundred Domans to Mor Dhona.”

Teledji Adeledji spoke up beside them, he adamantly gave them his suggested offer. “When government fails to act, the responsibility falls to use private citizens. I will engage the services of the Seventy-Seven Caravans on the Doman’s behalf.”

The General gave him an appreciative nod. “Very well—we should begin contract negotiations at once. Your generosity is most welcome, my lord.”

“After all that has befallen these good people, it is the least I can do.” He smirked to them, rubbing his mustache and beard at once. “Come what may, you shall ever have a friend in Ul’dah, Lady Yugiri.”

“And you in Revenant’s Toll, my lord.” Lady Yugiri bowed once more to him, appreciating the help she had received in the last four hours. Raubahn and Teledji Adeledji excused themselves, walking out from the Quicksand to speak of their contract. Azlyn watched them leave, and looked over to her cousin. Roll had been also watching them leave, and a sigh escaped her lips.

She seemed better now that the lord was gone.

Momodi at her counter perked up, having heard the rest of their oriented and detailed plan. “Well, it sounds like we all have work to do! Lady Yugiri, let’s put our heads together an’ settle the details of our arrangements, shall we?”

The Doman nodded, smiling to her. As they went to discuss the rooms and boarding available, the rest of their group circled in. Alphinaud crossed his arms, before nodding his head. His bangs bounced as he thought of the recent developments. 

“With this, all we will have to do is await in Vesper Bay for the Seventy-Seven Caravans.” 

Kida gave everyone a thumbs up. “It was worth it to keep my mouth shut during that meeting—I was ready to burst in profanity!” 

“I almost lost my cool.” Azlyn admitted, sighing. “Something about it just... it was irritating to watch in action. I felt helpless.” 

Roll reached over, patting her on the arm with an understanding. “That’s not uncommon. Most citizens feel the same, struggling to make ends meet and working themselves for minimum wage.” 

Kida tapped her chin, “Does minimum wage equate a live-able wage?” 

“No.” Roll explained. “You’d need two to three jobs to keep up with the cost of living.” 

Azlyn wondered if that was why Aunt Lorelai picked up as many jobs as she did—according to her cousins conversation from before, she was working day and night to keep up with her payments. It felt like something wasn’t adding up though, which led to her unsettled feeling in the bottom of her stomach. 

“Well I for one have had enough of Ul’dah.” Kida proposed. “Let’s head back to Vesper Bay! We can spend the night in the Waking Sands and await the caravans!” 

Alphinaud smiled, “Then I shall prepare a chocobo caravan for the ride back.” 

0