Arc 2 Chapter 4 “Night”
55 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It has been hours since Shouya and his crew have been on board the Maiden’s Marble. The motion of the ship kept Gin sick and regurgitating from time to time, but not as much as this morning. Meanwhile Alisa was still drunk, but not as much as the aftereffects of the hangover kicked in and, thankfully, had forgotten what she had seen between Shouya and the crewmember. So with that, any discussion from that event has been dropped for good.

Alisa apologized to Orgla about her drinking two bottles of the wine that they were going to be delivered. But instead of being mad at her, Orgla just simply laughed it off. Both Shouya and Alisa were confused by this.

“I’m impressed that you drank two whole bottles. Another bottle more and you’d be at my level.”

“So you’re not mad?”

“Why would I be? I’ve already got my pay from the boss who makes these things, so you don’t have to worry about ‘em.”

They were lucky that they weren’t given any punishment and she left them off the hook. In fact, she doesn’t seem to be bothered by it.

After hearing this from Orgla, they gave a sigh of relief. However, Shouya wanted to ask her something.

“But are you sure the person who bought these things is gonna be upset if they see some bottles missing?”

“Eh. It ain’t really not my problem. It’s a conversation between the buyer and the seller. But even if the buyer were to even try to complain to the man who made these things, they wouldn’t last a minute breathing in this world.”

“What do you mean?”

“What I’m saying is: don’t ever attempt to complain or even backtalk in front of…him.”

“‘Him’?”

“—The One Who Must Not Be Named.”

“‘One Who Must Not Be Named’?”

What does she mean?

Orgla sounded like she kept his name mysterious and hidden. One Who Must Not Be Named. It sounded like saying his real name is some sort of taboo. Is saying his real name a curse or just saying his name makes him appear in front of the person who said his name like Bloody Mary? It was vague and Shouya couldn’t understand what that meant.

She rose from her table and yawned.

“Anyways, it’s late. You two should head to bed.”

“I guess you’re right. Oh, I’ve been meaning to ask. Are you also dropping off another person?”

“Another person?”

“You know, a woman in a dress? She calls herself Cassadora.”

“Hmm…”

Shouya brought up the topic of this mysterious woman who was on the ship to Orgla and she pondered a bit. If she’s on the ship, then she must’ve known that woman. However, she opened her eyes and looked at him with a frown.

“Sorry, I can’t recall. The only people I picked you up are you three and that’s it. Unless we have a stowaway.”

A stowaway? I guess it could be that.

“I’ll have my men look for that stowaway. In the meantime, you should catch some sleep.”

“Alright. Goodnight.”

After telling this small information to Orgla, both Shouya and Alisa exit out of Orgla’s cabin and head straight towards the bed below the ship, where Gin was, sitting on the bed with a bucket on the table next to him.

“Uhh…Gin?”

But as they entered the room, his eyes were closed shut and cuddling his legs on the bed. Shouya didn’t understand why. He thought that he was sleeping while sitting, but that wasn’t the case.

“Are you okay?”

“Oh yeah, I’m totally fine! No problem at all.”

“But why are you shaped like that?”

“Oh, well, it helps me control myself so I don’t get myself sick. So as long as I don't open my eyes and imagine myself where I’m not in this goddess forsaken piece of wood from hell, I will be fine and alive.”

“I…see.”

Gin really didn’t want to be on this ship—although it was his idea to get a ship in the first place. It was the only way to reach their destination faster than the alternative. So in the meantime, he will try to endure the ride until they reach land.

“Anyways, how did she take it? Did she give you any punishment?”

“She let us off the hook. Turns out she actually doesn’t mind it.”

“She’s being too easy on you. Ugh, you young people have it easy.”

“Aww, is the big doggy-man jealous?”

“JEALOUS?!”

Gin became flustered to a point that he finally opened his eyes. So much for imagination and keeping himself fine on Gin's part. The two of them bicker like they’re children on a playground.

“…”

‘One That Should Not Be Named’...

“Sho?”

“Huh?”

Shouya’s train of thought was snapped by Alisa’s voice. This has been going on in his mind. “One That Should Not Be Named”. It’s still bothering him ever since Orgla mentioned it. This is something that is still bothering Shouya that he couldn’t just ignore.

“What’s wrong?”

“It’s just that, well, I can’t help myself but being bothered by this ‘One That Should Not Be Named’ person Orgla mentioned.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, if that person is willing to treat his customers like that, then why are people still ordering his wine? Wouldn’t it be better if people don’t buy any wine from people like him?”

That’s one of the options that people would have done to begin with. If people have stopped ordering wine, if people have stopped giving funds to the seller who treats his customers like trash, then he has no choice but to close up business.

“In fact, why don't we visit him and ask him to stop threatening his customers? If we get him to stop treating his customers like that, that way, he’ll—”

“I hate to break it to you kid, but that’s not possible.”

“What?”

Before Shouya could finish, Gin interrupts him mid-sentence. Not possible? What could he mean by that? Shouya couldn’t get it, and Gin continued.

“Trying to stop his business or telling him what to do is asking for a death sentence.”

“What do you mean?”

“What I’m saying is, if you want to keep your soul in your body and stay alive, you should never, and I mean, ever say anything that might make him angry or sabotage his business. Believe me, I’ve seen it first hand. And it’s not pretty.”

Based on Gin’s stern expression, he’s actually being serious. He looked at both Gin and Alisa and both of them were filled with unease.

What’s so special about this guy?

“Umm…Sho…”

Shouya turned his attention towards Alisa, who spoke with her brows furrowed as she was about to say something that’ll shock Shouya.

“That person that you’re referring to is no ordinary businessman. In fact…that person that you’re referring to is the Emperor of Zuvonzlos.”

“……Huh?”

Did I…hear that right?

His voice started to shake a bit. He asked her just to be sure.

“I-I’m sorry. W-What was that you just said?”

“As I said, he’s the Emperor of Zuvonzlos.”

“Emperor of…”

He wasn’t mistaken. His ears are as clean as it can be. Alisa said that this person is the Emperor of Zuvonzlos. He’s not an ordinary businessman or a leader from a crime syndicate like Blue Sharks. He is higher than that.

As Shouya was baffled and taken aback by hearing that person’s position of power.

“Y-You can’t be serious.”

“When it comes to him, he is no joking matter. He’s a man that you should never piss off. He has an endless supply of money, royalty, and power. He rules the country with an iron fist and he can take it without breaking a sweat.”

“Then stopping him is—”

Impossible. Shouya wanted to say, but couldn’t let it out.

If what they said was true, then simply retaliating against this person is out of the question. It’s far too dangerous to even attempt to fight against him. And if he’s really the “emperor” like they say he is, he must have an entire army under his control. So even if he takes on One That Should Not Be Named, he wouldn’t make it out alive.

With that, Shouya slumped his shoulders as he shut the idea down and decided not to engage with that person.

“Hey, don’t feel too bad. Me and my men actually agree with you wholeheartedly.”

“He’s right. Not many people liked the way he’s doing to others, whether it’s business, politics, or whatnot. Everyone has the same viewpoint as you do for years. So don’t get all too worked up, alright?”

Alisa is right. Even if he couldn't find a way to beat him, others agreed on Shouya’s stances and how wrong this “emperor” was to other people. There’s at least some hope.

“But still, I don’t get why people call him that.”

“Call him what?”

“‘One That Should Not Be Named’. It’s what Orgla called him. Why does she call him that?”

“He goes by many names, but the ‘One That Should Not Be Named’ part is just a fairytale name that is used to scare children before bedtime. You should’ve seen the look on both Gina and Jakkie’s faces when I told them the story. Ahh, good times.”

While Gin traversed through memory lane, Alisa spoke in his place.

“Gin’s right. ‘One That Should Not Be Named’ is one of the few titles that the emperor is known for…at least to kids. Others can be either ’Night’s Devil’ or ‘Prince of Darkness’.”

“Prince of Darkness”? Aren't they vampires?! Is this emperor a vampire?

Shouya imagines what the Emperor of Zuvonzlos looks like. Usually, in any form of media from the real world, vampires are often depicted as bloodsucking humans with sharp fangs and known to live eternity. The most popular of the bunch was someone named Dracula, as he was the most popular folklore figure in western media.

You know what, it’s better that I don’t meet him in person.

Without going any deeper, he quickly shut his imagination down and never wants to think about it again.

“So if he’s the emperor, shouldn’t people already know his real name by then?”

“Oh, no, everyone already knew his name. It’s just that when people say his name out loud, it often puts a curse on the person who says his name.”

“Well what was his name?”

“…Buorozumo Zuvonzlos.”

“Buoro— Hph!”

“Don’t say it out loud!!”

Before Shouya could even finish it, both Alisa and Gin charged at him and closed his muzzle with their hands. Then they freed his mouth shortly after.

“Why not?”

“There were rumors that once you say his name, he will appear.”

“Please tell me you’re joking!”

Both Gin and Alisa exchanged glances for a second before looking back at him.

“Wha—?!”

This Can’t be real…

Not only was the name itself intimidating, but saying it will get him to appear? It was just enough to have Shouya sweat from his head.

Buorozumo Zuvonzlos. Not only that the name caused him to be afraid for the person, but his last name is also the name of the country in his world. That’s how much power that this emperor has in his disposal.

—It is the name that Shouya should beware of.

0