Volume 2 Teaser
1.6k 4 51
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Target is a 5 year ex-Reaper. So, shoot on sight."

Within an hovering craft that matched the color of the night, an order was given as soldiers, geared in black uniforms that reeked of the word 'military,' tapped the side of their weapons twice and mana rolled over the pulse rifles.

"Com-links, check?"

"Active, sir."

Voices answered in unison.

"Sensory Visors, check?"

"Active, sir."

"Move out."

A latch slide open at the bottom of the hovering craft and the light of the moon glistened as men fell from the sky. There were no parachutes attached to them. As their eyes blinked to a world in the blue of data, and they picked up the freshness of grass, a button was triple-tapped at the front of their chests. Their descending figures slowed down to a crawl and each landed silently with their rifles out at the ready. A hand was raised, signaling orders as the men moved in unison.

Yet, there was a noticeable ticking in the air.

"Sir. . .?"

The leader looked below his feet, staring at the numerous balls of metal that suddenly rolled under the group. Immediately, his voice leapt into the air.

"Move move mo-!"

An explosion rocked the park, sending dirt and grass flying along with a mesh of bodies. Groans seeped into the night air and blood flowed onto a ground that was no longer flat. As the men looked up, at least those that were still conscious and suppressing their screams of pain, black boots came to their vision.

"Amateurs," A female said, removing a pulse pistol from her thigh and aimed at the men. Shields of mana popped onto their bodies but, regardless, she pulled the trigger.

"You-no-"

A shot rang.

The pulse flew then scattered into an endless slew that shined with the radiance of blue.

Regardless of how much the men struggled, regardless of the shields upon their bodies, their short screams rang as the pulses drilled into them, smashing their barriers with sheer numbers. They could do nothing but die.

Watching their life sapped away without a change to her expression, the female turned her head and gave a thin smile.

"They actually sent a Reaper after me? I'm honored, but a bit nerved at the idea of sending dogs of the city to bite at my behind," She said.

A brown-skinned male stepped out. Dressed in the usual motif of a Reaper, a blue jacket over a non-hindering, black bodysuit. With a long sword clipped to his back, he shrugged.

"Dogs?" He chuckled, "Some people look at us like we're heroes, some people fear us as the arm of the city. But what do you want, safety or an order-less chaos?"

She scoffed.

"If suppression is your safety, then I rather have chaos."

He gripped the handle of his weapon and pulled the black blade out. "You made the wrong choice."

The girl rolled her eyes and aimed her weapon. "Please, you never gave me a choice to begin with."

"Just come kindly, would you?" He pleaded with her, "Laws exist for a reason. . .we can't just let you move as you please."

She shook her head. "Sorry, but I rather not be killed because I chose to leave a job."

"It's only 5 years, you and I both know this."

"Only 5 years? You must be deranged. Even a second of my memory wiped is a part of me lost," She scoffed, "Hurry up and let's finish this. If you're not attacking, I will."

He came swinging and she shot.

.

.

.

.

.

Deep breaths followed after the pain of his lungs. Blood flowed from his lips as he leaned against an uprooted tree, staring at the full moon up above the cloudless night sky.

"You're lucky we've known each other for so long," A voice came into his ears, "But you really shouldn't fight someone you can't take, Gene Advancement or not."

His limbs and body felt dried and without energy. She had pummeled him, and every breath he took was pain itself. Still, he did not let her words go unanswered, he did not bow to her thoughts.

"You're endangering the city," He managed to utter.

"The city controls far too much." Her pistol clipped back to her thigh. "It's endangering itself, like a beast allowing parasites to sprout upon its body."

A sigh fell upon his ears after her words.

"You know I was like you once."

"Like me? Don't make me laugh. . .you don't know anything about me."

"I know a dungeon break landed on your house. I know your family died. And I know that lap dog saved you."

His fist struck the ground.

"Don't you dare call him that!" He yelled as blood flew from his lips.

She looked at him for a moment, silently judging, then shook her head.

"You're really something, Bam. Righteous and justified, following orders like a puppet, but you shouldn't pick fights that you can't win. When you open your eyes, forget chasing me, or I will kill you the next time we meet."

He glared at her and she sighed once more.

"Say goodbye to Arthur for me, would'ya?"

Her words preceded a kick that slammed his already bleeding head into the ground. In seconds, he passed out.

She turned around, huffing slightly as a radiance of colors encircled her body. Wings sprouted from her back, and with a leap into the air, she turned into the image of a multi-colored bird. The creature flapped, flying away from a scenery uprooted-the once luscious park had become nothing more than barren ground.

Want to easily be notified when volume 2 starts rolling on? Follow my profile and add the story to your library/reading list.

Discord Server: https://discord.gg/vwKhVUR

51