Eight vol.2
1.2k 3 46
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"You best hug me tightly, this bike has none of the safety features you'll find in others," The girl said as the motorcycle began its climb of the skyscraper.

It rode effortlessly above the glass windows of the building. The wind tousled Rose's long hair and she clung to the body before her, arms wrapped around the person's waist. In her mind, she thought this was an inverse of what had occurred with Elsa in the slums.

"Stop your vehicle and surrender!" A loud voice boomed behind them.

Rose glanced back.

Three boxed contraptions, smooth and sleek as metal, floated after them. Their speed rivaled the bike though they made no noise for they didn't need it. Her eyes perceived turrets on their figures, however.

"That's the basic policing drones. They can shoot concussive shots and blasts and a net of mana that some find hard to break through," The person before her said.

Rose reached out a hand to her side and summoned her sword.

"Eh. . .what are you doing?" The figure before her asked, taking a quick peek at her hand.

"Creating a barrier of flames?" She replied.

"Don't do that you fool!" The girl bawled, "They are mainly capture-drones. Equipped for that task. I know I said you can't destroy them, but show enough resistance too and the automatic process will be thrown into the hands of an actual person. They see us running, and guess what? We'll get the big stuff more quickly."

Rose raised a brow.

". . .you sound rather experienced with this."

The individual chuckled.

"It's my hobby. When you're rich, sometimes, extreme sports are the only things that grip your heart."

That sounded almost ridiculous to Rose. Then again, she was neither rich nor did she have the time for sports. Hers was an existence that was always fighting.

"Final warning: Stop your vehicle and surrender!"

The unifying voices of the drones behind them boomed once more.

The girl laughed. "Hehe, hold on, we're about to-"

The vehicle leaped parallel to nothing but air. The foot of the figure moved quickly to tap the side of the mechanical contraption. In return, the nose of the bike came down and a vroom resounded then, they were floating upon the roof of the skyscraper and gliding forward.

Rose blinked her eyes at the speed of it all. It had taken mere moments. The bike swerved and dodged a doorway. Yet, at that instance, she felt the spike of swirling mana and glanced back to see the turrets of the three drones shining.

The girl scoffed.

"Black. Shield."

[Activating shield]

A familiar shield of mana washed over the bike and the two. Then, the pulses came and tore through the stone roof of the skyscraper, blitzing forward before slamming into their persons and bursting apart into pure mana.

"A highest-grade mana shield." The sound of the revving motorcycle matched the words of the girl. "It can survive a Mana Eruptor and even a Drop Pulse. . .though only once."

What was a Mana Eruptor? What was a Drop Pulse? Rose had no idea. By the meaning of the girl's words, however, she inferred they were likely weapons of mass destruction.

The edge of the roof came and they drove off of it.

"Hold on tight."

A click resounded.

Their momentum stopped abruptly.

Pulses slammed against them.

Then they were falling down.

Rose looked up to see the continued splattering of pulses hitting them both to no effect.

"Whew," The girl released her hands from the handle of her bike and flexed her arms up, stretching her muscles.

". . ." Rose was speechless.

Just before they touched the ground, another click and the motorcycle stopped in place. The drones still floated down overhead but. . .

"Black. Camouflage."

[Activating Camouflage]

A new barrier covered them like a dome.

Then, they were off again.

The drones followed after them as the girl rode alongside grounded vehicles. Then she turned and entered a new street. Then another, and another. Buildings flickered past them and the figure handled her bike, weaving between other motors with ease. In that ensuring mixture, they lost the grip of their pursuers.

"This city has eyes," The girl said, "But it isn't omnipotent."

Rose, reminded of Shana Striker's invisible jet, watched with a hint of wonder as a last turn was made and the motorcycle finally stopped. To their right, a boxed area filled with trees, benches, and grass. A park. To their left, squat buildings she assumed were houses. They were parked and the street that separated the two distinctive locations was awash with vehicles while the sidewalk was littered with pedestrians that glanced that didn't seem to notice them.

At that moment, her pad blinked.

She answered it and Elsa's face popped up.

"Hey, Rose, we've just . . your clothes are a mess! The hell happened?!"

". . .a battle." Rose replied, "Where are you? I'm done over here."

Elsa narrowed her eyes. "Don't tell me you're already getting into messes after we just got here?"

Rose chuckled.

Trouble? She supposed her creator was trouble. And she supposed her current uncertainty was also trouble. Yet, she had always had troubles. This wasn't surprising.

"What are you chuckling for? Ugh. Fine. I'll send it now. I better see you here with your full body intact!"

"I heal don't I? You will."

"Right right, but take care of yourself better would you? I'll send my location now. Along with a file for the city map."

Rose nodded.

Their conversation ended as the face of her companion vanished.

She sighed.

"Sounds like you've got a nice friend there," An amused voice said.

Rose faced the figure who had turned her head to glance at her. She smiled.

"Yes. Yes I do."

Rose stared at the helmeted face of her helper and felt as if she was being grinned at.

"You just arrived in the city, huh?" The figure said, "That location. Want me to take you there?"

Rose narrowed her eyes at the individual. Finally without any hassles of drones, she could collect her thoughts more readily. Indeed, it would be good if the person lent her a hand, but, she had a pressing question on her mind.

"Why are you helping me?" She asked.

"Oh? That?" The figure said, "It's because you're just my type. Dangerous. A bit cold. And cute."

Rose tilted her head.

"You're helping me because you find me. . .cute?"

As her golden glance pierced through the glass of the helmet and met a pair of lavender eyes, she didn't get it.

Discord Server: https://discord.gg/vwKhVUR

Want more interesting stories? Check out my profile.

46