Chapter 9
98 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Sorry, you startled me,”  I replied with a guilty glance. “And I just reacted. I didn’t mean it.”

Renee was an ice bag in her eye while the other was justifiably glaring at me.

Since she didn’t say anything, I continued pleading. “I would do anything, make up for it. I could… I could.” I couldn’t think of anything. Renee was a better cook than I was, and everything I owned she had no interest in. “I could give you some money.” I desperately threw out there, my hands trembling.

Renee’s continued silence was driving me crazy.

“Rainee…” Nee broken in.

She turned abruptly. “Don’t’ call me that!”

“Then stop with the silent treatment, already,” Nee advised. “You know how Kera gets when she’s this guilty. She’s at the point where she’ll offer you her soul to appease you.”

She gave Nee a long stare before Renee sighed, grudgingly admitted. “It’s partly my fault. You were gone for such a long time that when you finally came back. I knew that you don’t like being hugged, but I couldn’t help myself.”

Guilt increased ten-fold. “Than I’ll….”

“Are you going to offer more money?” Nee interrupted. “You barely get anything in the first place, and Rainee gets half anyways

“Don’t call me Rainee!” Renee glared.

Nee ignored Renee and kept speaking to me. “So why bother? Or are you going to offer something even more ridiculous?”

“No.” I inverted my eyes. “I wasn’t.”

“Stop that.” Nee scolded. “You said your sorry, and your clear remorseful that should be enough. Especially after what we went through.”

Renee rubbed her head in consternation. “Maybe it’s best if we merge now, Nee. So I know what happened.”

Nee threw her hand up. “Finally! I want to rest so bad that I could fade, right here and now.”

Renee rolled her eyes at Nee’s dramatics. “Yeah, yeah. Come here.” Holding out her hand.

Nee turned to me. “See ya.” Before flying to Renee’s hand.

Renee was about to lift Nee up but stopped. “Have you been drinking?”

Nee nodded her head enthusiastically. “It was so yummy.”

Renee groaned and turned to me. “Am I going to get drunk?”

I shook my head and hurriedly replied. “It was just one, and hours passed by since then.” I didn’t say that I could smell the alcohol a mile away. She doesn’t feel the effect, so the tiny fairy had the tendency to indulge, plus. However, Renee certainly does.

She gave me a searching look before closing her golden eyes. “Fine, let’s get this over with.” Renee leaned forward, and she and Nee’s foreheads touched. Then Nee turned into a burst of particles before merging with Renee.

As if my guilt and tiredness never existed, I couldn’t help but lean forward watch with widened eyes. This magic was so fascinating so unique to the Fairy species. Having a front-row seat was the best thing ever. However, if I had my way, I would have Mana measuring instruments, a notebook in my hands, and a batch of questions. But when I brought out a thermometer, she pretty much threw everything out and nearly me with it. Good thing I was finally allowed to observe …minus anything else.

Even now, I still don’t know why Renee was so upset. She mumbled something about an invasion of privacy but wasn’t that a small price to pay for learning more about magic? Although she said the same thing when I tried to abstract fairy dust from her wings. Even though Nee didn’t have a problem when I asked her.

Oh, I’m getting distracted. I forgot to activate my sight.  There we go. As Mana lines appeared everywhere. I sighed. Ah, I miss them because I’m not really good at deciphering the surface stuff. That everyone seemed to have a manual for except for me. But Mana Tracing opened up a whole new world for me.

Absorbing Renee’s scouting mechanism, aka Nee, was a good example; nothing seemed to be happening, but a lot was happening underneath it. At first glance, It looked like Renee was consuming Nee. Still, it was more like Nee silverish pink Mana were binding and woven together Renee’s golden-silver Mana. It was stunning. I wanted to reach out to touch it so bad.

Suddenly my seal activated, and the world turned back to normal. I was disappointed. I had thought I’ll have more time, but too much of a good thing and all that. Besides, my eyes were stinging like crazy, and there was something else…

“Yummy,” Renee interrupted my thoughts with a mumble. Her eyes were still tightly closed, but her cheeks were red.

Oh, Renee told me about this. She said that merging with Nee was like seeing a movie, but fast forward and more interactive. So Renee would feel the effects in one moment and be gone as the next scene starts. It also depends on how much Nee drank and how long between now and then, or she still would feel drunk. So, it was a double-edged sword in more ways than one.

Renee's eyes were blinking. “Oh, she’s about to wake up.” Then I realized. “Oh, she’s about to wake up.” This time my voice was a bit distressed. What would she do to me if she found out?”

When Renee opened her eyes, she gave me a long stare before holding her arms out. “May I hug you?”

I was reluctant, but Renee wasn’t going to take no for an answer. “Aren’t you afraid I’ll hit you again?” I hatched.

Renee simply asked, “Are you going to hit me?”

My shoulders slumped. “No.”

“Then come here,” Renee insisted. I sighed before moving into her embrace. “You must be so scared.” She whispered.

“I have seen a dead body before… more than one.”  I closed my eyes, and memories of bodies withering before my eyes, before blinking, and they were gone again.

“I know,” Renee whispered, her hands kneading my head; it was comforting. “Want me to….”

“No.” I burrowed myself further into her embrace. Trying to hide from my memories. “This is nice.”

They had a nice moment before… “What did happen to your arm?” Her voice was different, dangerous.

I gulped.

***

 I was eating a salad with burnt walnuts on top as Renee talking on the phone. “Okay, Det. Towers, thank you for the information. If anything comes up… yes…bye.” She ended the call. As she turned to me with her arms crossed.

“Det. Towers, you traitor.” I whispered.

“He said that you could have faded.” Renee scolded.

“No worries, I’ve already told Raven I’m quitting.” I waved my hand dismissively.

“I know, I saw that part.” Renee seemed a little put out. “That woman.” She sighed.

“What?” I asked. “Nee said that she was jealous. Are you jealous?”

“Pshh! No, nothing like that.”  Renee leaned against the chair I was sitting on with a thoughtful look.  “I thought it would be a lot better if she was more honest.“She shrugged, but when she saw how confused I was. “Just forget it. It’s none of my concern.”

So why say anything?

“Fine.” I still didn’t know what Renee was trying to say. “You know that cop was trying to say that I have a blood fetish or something.”

“Oh?”

“You know I write the runes in blood for my talisman, right?” So blood was probably the simplest medium to use because Mana flows through the stuff naturally.

“Yes.”

“Well, get this, he thought I was killing people for their blood. How unproductive is that?” I laughed. “Dead blood is too stagnated, so what’s the point. Unless he thought I was drugging them? But why would I do that? It will contaminate the blood.” I rattled on. “Besides, using one’s own blood has the best results by far. If that Gargoyle tested it….”

Renee was rubbing the spot between her eyes. “Please stop talking,” she said. “You know that he was just looking for an excuse, right?”

“Yes, but still, to not know the basics is just….”

“Kera!” Renee interrupted. “Breath.” I stopped and complied, breathing in and out, trying to push back the anxiety that was quickly building up. “Breath.” Moving to face me, placing her hand on my leg. “Kera, look at me.”When I finally found myself staring into her golden eyes. She simply said,  “None of that matters.”

“But…”

“Do you hear me? None that matters,” Renee insisted. “All that matters is that you’re here safe. Lucky as hellfire, but safe.”

 “Det. Towers told me the same thing.” I stated a little sombre.

“Smart Troll.” Renee drawled, getting up, and took her empty plate. “Time to go to bed.” She locked toward but paused. “Oh, before I forget, call Vally, Okay? She already called a couple of times, and she was worried. I don’t blame her.” Then she disappeared into the kitchen.

“Yeah, I will.” But, to be honest, I forgot all about Vally and how she helped me. No matter the results, she deserves to know.

Renee nodded her head. “Good.” And disappeared into the kitchen.

Reaching for the phone, and dialled her number.

“Hello? Kera?” Vally smoothing tones resonated.

“Yes, I just go back,” I answered.

“Oh, thank the Goddess,” she breathed out. “I heard about a dead body, and I thought….”

“I’m fine, tired and cranky, but fine,” I replied, rubbing my eyes.

Vally laughed, “I’m glad. Then she fell into silence, her voice grave. “But listen, I might know of something about those Royal Elven you were trying to find.”

3