Chapter 10
82 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“No, no, don’t tell me anymore. I’ve already quit.” I stated abruptly.”I want nothing to do with those Royal Elven.”

There was a pause. “Good. Knowing what happened, it’s probably for the best.”

I stared at the phone for a second. “Did Renee tell you?” How could that be possible? She just found out. “No, Matthius.” I wouldn’t put it past him.

“So you met Mattius, huh? Must have found you interesting,” Vally laughed. I just rolled my eyes at her antics. “But no, I run in a small circle, and rumours spread quickly, and the way you disappeared, and soon after the cops showed up. And the rest? I put two and two together.”

“Oh,” I still don’t get how information travelled so fast, but I didn’t get people in general. “So people have nothing better to do.”

“Talking is actually a thing, you know.” Vally scolded a little.

“If you say so,” I wasn’t convinced.

“You sound skeptical?” Vally inquired.

“People lie. Facts don’t.” I stated.

“That’s a grim way of looking at things,” Vally commented. “Does Renee lie?”

I thought of how she didn’t leave the house and evaded when I ask why. How she looks at her phone sometimes, and she burst out crying for no reason. Why did she allow me to stay? “Yes.” Although none of those things matter to me, the fact was that Renee does indeed lie and option.

Vally paused again, then said. “Okay, let’s change the question. Do you trust Renee, even if she lies?”

My answer was immediate. “Yes.”

“See, people are complicated, and you’re no exception,” Vally commented. “I'm not discounting plain facts; facts are great. But rumours, if not entirely accurate, may point you in the right direction.” There was silence. “Like the rumour, I heard about a young Elven woman going in the back ally…alone, where anything could happen.”

I jumped in. “I wasn’t alone. I had Nee.”

“You’re not getting my point, sweetie,” Vally scolded again.

I gave up. “Fine, you’re right.”

“Good.”

I became thoughtful. “Can I ask you something?”

“Anything, sweetie.” Vally's voice was light.

“With those rumours of yours. Have you ever heard of something with white and black?” I asked, thinking about what she saw in that alleyway….minus the murder victim.

Vally hummed thoughtfully. “A bird, perhaps?”

I denied. “The wings were bird-like, but no, they were people-sized. And might have a Mana cancelling ability.”

“What first comes to mind is an angel,” Vally hesitated. “But it can’t be that.”

“Why?” I asked.

“Angels are purest. They take pride in their white wings. Plus, I never heard of an ability like that.” Vally answered. “Why are you asking.”

“Something I saw….” Shaking my head. “Never mind, it’s nothing.”

“Are you sure? You could ask Mistress Isabel!” She chuckled a little. “But you will owe her another favour.”

I almost smacked my head in shock and groaned. I still owe Isabel, and all of that was for nothing. “No, no. Anything but that.”

Vally’s chuckle turned into full-blown laughter. “Smart.” Then there was someone rustling in the background. “Can you wait a sec? Something came up.”

“Sure…”

“Are you sure…? Where is she….? No, I’ll handle it…Car…” Suddenly Vally was back. “Kera, sweetie, I have to go. Work stuff. So get some sleep, okay? You sound exhausted.”

“Okay, be save.” I requested.

“You too, sweetie.”

I remember…“Oh, and Vally?”

“What is it?” Her voice grew concerned. “Is there something wrong?”

“No, nothing big.” I was complimented, not saying anything about something in me, just wanted to burst it out. “I just wanted to say I trust you too.” There was a long silence. “Hello?”

“Sweetie, you’ve just made my night.” Vally sounded teary.

Feeling way past embarrassed, Even I know how cringy I sounded, so I replied with a weak… “Bye.”

“Bye, sweetie, and good night.”

Despite how tired I was, my mind was racing. Something about the person with black and white wings was still bothering her. If they weren’t an angel, maybe something with close relations or perhaps even mixed blood?

Despite my basic knowledge of xenobiology, It didn’t take a genius to know that producing a mixed-blood.  Between two different species wasn’t as simple as you might think. However, suppose they have the same genetic ancestry. In that case, there may be a better chance to reproduce with someone of another species. Shifters and Witches was a good example. However, it gets tricky if a Dog Shifter and a Cat Shifter want to have a child. Even if they have the same ancestry, overall, their biological makeup was too diverged, so have a child together would be nearly impossible. And not to mention Vampires who create their offspring with venom.

I sighed, and Fae's ancestry was even more complicated. It gave me a headache just thinking about it.

However, none of this matters as she leaned back in defeat because she couldn’t even find anything of relevance on angels in her entire collection and online as well. Although that wasn’t that surprising, Angels were a closed nit group.

Rubbing my eyes in frustration, and mumbled. “Plus, I don’t know if I am looking in the right direction. And even if the black and white winge person was even responsible for the Mana traces disappearing like that.” I yawned and stretched. “I give up.”

I wanted to do a couple of more things, but all I had was to drag out my mat and flopped down into a deep sleep.

Dreaming…

With a blink, I opened up my eyes to find myself in a place where I never thought I see again. My childhood home. An old shack by the sea. Inhaling, to taste the saltiness in the air, and I couldn’t help but smile.

I rushed outside, never feeling this light in a long time. My bare feet sank into the side sand as if they belong there as I took in the sounds of waves beating against the shoreline.  I felt like a child again.

Suddenly a hand with painted nails folded over my shoulder. A woman whispered in her ear. “Open your eyes. This isn’t your world anymore.”

Turning around to see a shadowy figure growing wings from its back, with a knife in hand. Then It came closer, slashing down.

Then the scene changed, and I was in front of the pinkish rainbow-haired Triston and his posse, and they were throwing rocks at me, taunting me. Suddenly they morphed and changed into horses. They reared up and started chasing me down.

I ran and ran until I was on the beach again. But instead of feeling like home; It was chilling and scary. Once again, my feet sank into the sand, but then a hand with coloured nails grabbed my ankle and pulled me down.

I opened my eyes, and I couldn’t move. Struggling to break free. I knew what was coming, I was there before, but I couldn’t stop it.  As I felt my Mana drain away, I screamed and screamed until my throat became dry.

Instantly, surrounding me was everyone I cared about. Renee, and Nee. Raven and even Scarlett. Vally, Det. Towers and his wife. Strapped down along with her….dieing.

I couldn't take it anymore, and my Mana builds up rapidly; everything turned white in a neverending explosion.

Floating, a winged person came back, phasing in and out. They said. “Your world is way too small to see clearly.” With those words echoing, I was in a box, and it kept getting smaller and smaller, squeezing the life out of me. Finally, the winged person, on the outside, and the box turned into a cage. “And because of that, someone's going to die.”

I woke up with a start and looked frantically around. For a moment, I thought I was still trapped in a dream. Then I heard Renee’s voice. “Kera, let me, please. Something happened, something….” Her voice hitched. “I can wait anymore. I’m coming in!”

The door burst open, and Renee came in. She didn’t look good, and her wings were out. “Renee?”

The Fairy fell on her knees beside me. “Kera, I’m so sorry.”

I didn’t like where’s this was going. “No.”

“Kera…”

“No, I don’t want to hear this.” My hands went flying.

Renee grabbed my hands, I tried to break away, but she held them firm. She stared deeply into my eyes. “It’s Vally, Kera. She‘s dead.”

I hope you like it.

3