Chapter 11
112 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Enjoy the ch (;

After finding out about Vally's death, I went into total shutdown. I shut myself in my room and pretty much never left and tried to drown myself in making talismans and studying Magic. Trying to forget… everything.

Now it was a couple of days later, and my hand inadvertently touched a book, and I 'The Fundamentals of Water Magic.' The very same book Vally gave me. "I instantly recoiled my hand, and a second later, the book was knocked off and landed heavily onto the floor.

I raked my hands in my hair. Frustrated as hellfires. "I don't know what to do."

"First, you need to keep your promise to me." A voice said, and instantly my chair swerved around, and I was faced to face with a person who could change their appearance from one second to the next. "Mistress Isabell, how did you…."

"Find this place." Isabell finished with a smile. "I have to admit that the person who made these illusions is quite impressive. Especially for someone so young. Your roommate, the Fairy, correct?" When I reluctantly nodded, and Isabel's smile widened. "Good girl, but alas, even this wouldn't stop me." She leaned forward. "You owe me!"

 Then suddenly, the door opened, and Renee walked in. "Kera, are you…." Suddenly she was thrown into the wall.

"Renee." I tried to jump up, but I couldn't move. Isobel's immense presence weighing down my body l couldn't even carry a pinky finger.

"I have already given you enough time," she paused. "To grieve, now you're time is mine."

When my eyes moved to the very still Renee. Her wings draping over her body. Fluttering up and down, and I sighed in relief. She was still alive.

Isobel grabbed my chin and yanked me forward. "Look at me, not her."

I swallowed. "What do you want."

"You see, Vally was one of my favourites, and hearing about her death, greatly displeased me." I wasn't great with emotions, but I'll say that it more than displeased her. It infuriated her. "If I had my way, I would tear Nexus piece…by…piece." Mistress Isabell said the last part very slowly. "But alas, there are rules, and that's why I have you."

"So, you want me to find Vally's killer?" My mind was wheeling. "Me? I think you could find someone better." Anyone was better than me; I pretty much fumbled my way the last time.

Besides Vally's death…I couldn't even finish the thought as guilt almost overwhelmed her.

Isabell leaned back, and I breathed a sigh of relief as the pressure eased. "I think you're underestimating yourself too much. But, then again, I'm not giving you much of choice in the matter."

I tried again. "What about our deal. That no harm would come to me and mine."

"Oh, that little thing." Her gaze darkened. "That was before your actions may have killed one of my people. The way I see it, you owe me more."

I couldn't even argue with that; it wasn't as if the thought hadn't crossed my mind. Either way, the only thing I could say was… "Yes," I whispered.

"Excellent." Isobel clapped her hands with finality, and with a puff, she was across the room in an instant. "Oh, and before I forget, when you find them, I have every confidence that you will, bring them to me." Her eyes melted into something horrific. "Alive." Suddenly she was gone, but then she reappeared again. "Oh, and that book." Isobel nodded toward the book on the floor. "Vally gave you that book. You should take better care of your things." Then she was gone, hopefully for good this time.

And me, yeah, I felt like I've barely survived a hurricane, but…my ears perked up, hearing my fallen friend groaning into wakefulness. But, of course, it could have been worse, a lot worse.

I forced my legs to move. "Renee." My eyes darted back and forth. Trying to catalogue any injuries, but I couldn't see conclusive; her wings were blocking too much of her body. I rushed over and didn't know what to do with my hands. So, I did nothing. "Renee, are you okay?"

There was movement, then Renee's golden eyes peaked underneath her wings, looking dazed. "Kera?"

I rambled uncontrollably, "Oh, thank the Goddess, you were so still, and I didn't know what to and…."

Renee held up a trembling finger. "Let me think for a moment." She slowly got up to her knees. Her eyes were unfocused. "Someone smashed through my illusions, and I came in here and…." Renee's eyes widened as her head whipped back to me, "Ah, my head." As she cupped her face with her hands. Then ran them down before landing on her knees. "Kera, are you okay?"

I nodded my head. "Yes, I'm fine, freaked out but fine."

"That was Mistress Isabell?" Renee shuddered. "I've heard rumours, but…."

"Nothing beats seeing the real thing," I whispered. I still could see the residue of Mistress Isabell's Magical Essence. It was a mix of black, red, and smoky. And like the original, it formed from one shape to the next. Violent and menacing, overpowering everything else.

"Once is more than enough, thank you." Renee scoffed. "Do you know how long it's going to take me to build up my illusions? It's going to take days. Ah, I'm so mad, she through them like tissue paper. My hard work is gone." Renee sighed.

I was a little confused. "Are you mad and Mistress Isabell or yourself."

"To be honest. Both." Renee admitted reluctantly. Then there was silence. "Kera, it's not your fault, you know. Vally's death isn't your fault."

"You don't know that," I fired back. "Vally told me that she found out something about the Royal Elven I was looking into. She could have…."

"Or she could have been at the wrong place at the wrong time. Or maybe she stepped into something related to her work. Protecting the Brothel wasn't exactly safe." Renee added.

I shook my head. "If it was anything about the Brothel, then Mistress Isabell would have known already. But, no, I think Vally's death was from an outside source, or Mistress Isabell wouldn't come to me." I denied.

"If so, Vally was an adult capable of her own decisions," Renee stated, staring straight at me. "And she wouldn't want you to feel guilty about it either. And you're not obligated to risk yourself to investigate Vally's murder… even if you owe Mistress Isabell debt."

I looked down. "You've heard."

"I was semi-conscious, so yes, I've heard everything," Renee confirmed. "So maybe the police should…."

"I want to know what happened to Vally." I interrupted abruptly. "Despite Mistress Isabell, or maybe because of her." I paused, thinking about her recent experience with the police, and shook my head once again. "And you know how the police are, even with good ones like Det. Towers." The Edge was sometimes like the Old Wild West on Earth. There were a lot of shady things going on, and even more so overlooked. And they canter too much to Central Nexus. "I want to do my own investigation. I need to at least try. Vally deserves that much."

 There was a moment of silence before Renee spoke up. "Have you made up your mind?"

 "I think…yes, yes I have." The last words were firmer than the first.

"Good." Her tone was chipper, and she quickly got up on her feet. She fluffed out her wings before they disappeared completely. "Do you want so hot chocolate? I don't think either of us is getting any  sleep, any time soon?"

My eyes widened. "But you're hurt."

"Despite my hurting head. I'm fine." She paused her hand, landing on the door. "Surprisingly." And turned around with a smile. "You know I'll help you as much as I can."

"I don't want you to get involved. It's too dangerous." I rejected her offer.

"Yeah, it is more dangerous leaving you to your own devices. Knowing your track record." Renee surmised.

I thought for a moment and couldn't help but agree. "Fair."

"Okay, with that settled, do you know where to start," Renee asked.

My thoughts went back to the conversation she had with Valley earlier. Finally, she was talking about something. "Car…something," I whispered.

"What's that," Renee asked.

"I have an idea."

"Great, I'm meet you at the table." Then Renee was gone.

I was about to fellow when something on the floor caught her eye, Vally's book. I picked it up before, placing it back on the desk. I caressed the cover. "I wish you were still here." Then I turned and walked out the door.

             

2