Chapter 14: Meeting the Girl with No Voice (1)
479 2 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

GR Chapter 14: Meeting the Girl with no Voice (1)

A/N: The disputedly longest chapter of this volume so far. 3000+ words lol. *Author throwing chapter length commitment to the wind* 

#Unedited

“Thank you so much for your help so far, Riley. Boss” I once again bowed in gratitude towards the people of [Cyclops Pops] inn. 


The both of them came to see me off in front of the inn and waved back as I finally turned around while slinging my bag full of travelling necessities over my shoulders.

I walked towards the north gate through which I will be exiting the capital. 


I have already mentioned once that my next destination is going to be a small town to the northwest of Esteral, Archi, the town of the beginning. 


Archi got this nickname due to being the town where the first ever dungeon of the D-cluster was discovered. Though after more dungeons of the D-cluster were discovered, the town gradually lost popularity to other settle light cities like IIlos and Vallas. 

Nowadays, you could say that it is no more than a slightly bigger rural village at the edge of the Bichet mountain range, and the D-cluster.

My reason for going there is not for the dungeons though. What I want is the hidden piece “the G.E.M” or the Gift of En Mort. It was supposed to be something that Shelton would discover on one of his many commissions. 


If memory serves me right, G.E.M is a very useful growing item with many uses and have helped Shelton on many occasions. I don’t really remember the details of its description clearly but it should be something along the line of being a little wish cloud (in a sense). This item is very mysterious as its effects differ every time it was shown in the story. In fact, it ranks as one of the top 5 most mysterious items in the unofficial [Grimoire Knights]’ player ranking. This is a hidden piece that is too good to leave out.

Hence, I chose Archi as the place to lay low and bid my strength; at least until the two month death flag passes.

Back to reality, I was almost at the north gate. I started looking around for the person I made a prior arrangement with. 


Spotting a small cargo driven carriage with a pair of strong brown horses with scales on their upper body, I quickly made my way there. The man who was going over the stocks on the carriage turned towards my direction as he sensed someone having come over.

“If it isn’t the little lass from yesterday. You got here right on time kid.” The slightly hunched old man said as soon as he recognized it was me.

“Good morning, Mr. Boon.” This man is none other than the merchant, Boon Vedas. A normal travelling merchant who was recommended to me by none other than Carlos-san. He seems to be a regular at the Cyclops, and he was the one I was pointed to as soon as I said I was travelling Northwest. Well, he does seem like a pretty trustworthy merchant, so I decided to arrange to hitch a ride with him along the way on his carriage.

With fifty coppers, I’d get a ride on his carriage until a village a little away from Archi. Plus I don’t have to spend money uselessly to buy my own horse. It is more cost effective in my judgement since I would have to feed and look after my horse had I bought one. Not to mention the fact that I’d have to camp out alone in the wild at night where monsters run rampant is so unappealing. 

I would rather bet my journey on hitching a ride with Mr. Boon although the journey might take a little longer.

Mr. Boon also hired some adventurers who would act as escorts, so I will get a chance to see them in action which will definitely be good for future reference.

“Just letting you know, kid. We're setting off in a bit, so get yourself on that carriage at the back over there.” He said after receiving the pay from me, pointing to a slightly old carriage behind the cargo.  

It didn't take long before we set off with the clicking clacking of the horse's hooves. I thought it'd be stricter when going out of the capital but it was surprisingly easy. 


One of the guards just had a look into the carriage to confirm the passengers and that was it. I am not surprised since this royal capital will be broken into from the inside at around the third phase of the story.  

Wait, I haven't talked about the original Galgame's story plot much, have I?

It started when Shelton, Enri, and Serika was suddenly summoned to Edea in their first year and second year of high school respectively. The story plot is pretty simple. If you have played other RPGs then you would probably be familiar with the something like the main plot or main scenario.

[Grimoire Knights] follows the same framework of an RPG but with the extra function of choosing love interests along with the progression of the main plot. There are a variety of choices available and side stories that go with the characters chosen. You can even choose to play as either Shelton, Enri, or other female characters in some of the scenarios.

Back to the main plot, the game can be divided into the following phases: 1st is tutorial, 2nd is the bandit arc, 3rd is the dungeon arc, 4th is the Laister arc, 5th is the Grimoire scramble arc, 6th is the Fairy’s test arc, 7th is the Confrontation arc, 8th is the civil war arc, 9th is the Abyss arc, 10th is The Great War arc, and the last arc 11th is the Grand Finale. There was also a rumour of another epilogue or side story that was never really released, at least not when I was still alive.

If I had to rank the length of the main plot of the game, I’d say that it is around the middle among other games I had played with my game otaku bff.

The timeline right now is probably the latter half of the tutorial arc, and my eventual destruction flag should happen around the mid to end of the 2nd arc, the Bandits arc. 


FYI, my memories of the game itself is fuzzy. It should already be a miracle that I remembered all of the general arc and events of the main plot. I mean, would you remember all details of the plot of one of many games you played? Though I did say it was my favorite, it was like one of my 10+ favorite games.

Even now, I keep the notebook with the game related stuff on hand in case something pops up on my mind. Every detail is important after all, I never know since something useful might resurface.

Taking my mind off the original game’s plot before I complicate myself to insanity, my eyes wander to the scenery on the side of the cobble stoned road the caravan is travelling on.


It was already time for dinner before I know it. The pristine sight of bushes, trees, and rocks here and there in the late afternoon sun once again reminded me that it is a different world. You wouldn’t easily find such wilderness with all the development on Earth.  

The carriages rolled to a stop at a slightly open clearing with a number of rocks. The place seemed to be a regular stop for the group as evidence of camps such as sticks and stacked rocks were still present.

“Oi, Get off, folks! We’re camping here tonight.” Mr. Boon shouted as the three members of the adventurer party got off their horses and moved to set up camp. Oh, speaking of the adventurers, I never got to introduce them, have I?

Apparently, they are called the  [Griffets], a D rank party with two D rank and one E rank member. The D rankers are the swordsman Rick and May who seemed to be a mage since she is carrying a staff. The last member is a slightly younger Don who I’m guessing is a rogue? 

I don’t see him carrying any sword or dagger or maybe he hid them, I’m not quite sure. 


The journey was very peaceful so far with no monsters attacking the group.

I guess it is somehow kind of strange since at the least you would see some low class monsters like slimes and horned beasts around but there seems to nothing so far. I’m guessing that is why the group seems tense and on guard. Well, I’m also affected by the atmosphere. 


My previous thoughts of a light-hearted journey and seeking adventuring advices is totally gone now. It’s only typical that something bad would definitely happen in these situations. I stepped down to the camping site with a bad premonition.

Sh*t! D*mn it!

I jinxed myself!!

Recalling what happened, frustration boils in my system. I should have known something was gonna happen.

The first hour of camping and preparing dinner was fine despite the tense atmosphere. 

Then the three adventurers started panicking and shouting something about bandits, lots of them. 

I looked to the other side of the camp, trying to confirm the signs that about twenty rugged looking bandits was really hiding. If so, then they were probably the reason there weren’t any ordinary monsters around. They must have been cleared out.

The group came together to discuss as for what to do.

“Is it true that there are bandits?” Mr. Boon asked.


“Yes, I spotted them when I was scouting the area.” The youngest of the three adventurers responded.

“Sh*t! Those f*ckers are everywhere right now! How are we merchants supposed to live like this!?” Mr. Boon couldn't help burst out cursing for his bad luck.  

Well, it's only natural with so many refugees around the country. 


After the new demon king had been crowned, the demons suddenly invaded and many countries were unprepared. 


The price of which was the fall of the Great Empire, the superpower of the continent, and the place of convergence of all races.

Only after the fall, did the remaining human countries realized the situation and banded together to fight against the demons. However, humans were alone and weak. The other races except the Beastmen of the Beast country were nowhere to be found after they were put off by the arrogance of the humans who used to rule the continent.

Surprisingly, the demons army stopped attacking since last year. The reason is unclear but it seemed as if there might be some inner disputes in the demon country. Some also said that the demons are waiting for a chance. The chance to completely take over everything.

Although the main army ceased moving, skirmishes were still present. 


As towns and villages continues to be destroyed, refugees flooded everywhere. It is unavoidable that some had to choose to be a criminal to stay alive. I understood their situation. I knew but it is not my place to do something about it. In the end, I am just as selfish as anyone else. I am leaving everything to the baka duo.

“Alright, let's do it!” Wait, what did I miss?

It seemed that the group and Mr. Boon decided to negotiate with the bandits by offering one third of Mr. Boon’s cargo.

“ *sigh* It is a good thing I prepared extra goods in case something like this happen.”

“Things like this happens a lot? Isn’t it just a little away from the royal capital?” I couldn’t help asking Mr. Boon as I overheard his whisper when helping move one third of the goods to one of the carriages. 

It was the one that would be given to the bandits later.  

“Not until recently, and I didn’t think we’d meet one so early. War times like this, the only ones to suffer are the common people. Those d*mn noble knights and upper crusts just sit back and watch, too afraid to do anything about it, fretting a non-existent demon attack on the capital.”

“This country is just a shadow of what it once was *Tsk* *tsk*” Mr. Boon clicked his tongue as he finished setting the carriage just on time as the bushes to the front and sides of the camp rustled.

“They’re here. Get yourself ready lassie!” Our group of five people got together in a line, on guard, as the bushes reveal a lot of fifteen armed men in rag tags clothes.

“Well, well what do we have here?” The line of men made way as the leader revealed himself. 


The so called leader was a bearded middle-aged man with a medium built physique. 

Although he was armed with better weapons (a sword) and armor, he looked more like a normal village guard than an expert bandit. The others wasn’t that heavily armed either. They looked like former villagers who had just started robbing people.

“You know the rules, don’t you? Leave all your belongings and beat it!” Despite his not so intimidating threat, the lines that came out was so cliche that I felt almost embarrassed for him.

“What? All of it? You might as well kill this old bones right here and now!” Mr. Boon courageously shouted back unfazed. An inkling of admiration bubbles up in me, Mr. Boon is ….so MAN!

“Hmph! I don’t care for your puny old life. I just want my goods or otherwise everyone dies!” The leader looked at each of us before pulling out his sword and the three adventurers pulled out their weapons, oh and so did I. It was tense enough as if a battle could start any moment.

“Wait! Half” Mr. Boon knowing that giving only one third would not work due to the number of bandits, finally opened his mouth again. I turned to look at him to see him letting out another sigh.

“Look, we’re all just trying to make a living here, so just take half of the goods and let us through.” This time his voice gradually turned louder and clearly stated his conditions.

The leader looked to be contemplating about it.

“You wouldn’t want people from Cyclops going after your head, would ya?” The glare of Mr. Boon grew fierce as he gave a final ultimatum.

The threat seemed to be successful as the leader was about to nod his head when one of the bandits whispered something into his ears. I didn’t know that the people at the Cyclops in was so influential as even bandits seemed to be afraid of them?  

“Hmm? Oh, fine.” The leader nodded his head to his subordinate as he turned to us again.

“Hmph! Alright, but on one condition.” He paused as his eyes fell on me to which I shivered due to the bad feeling I had.

“Leave that little girl to us.”

“Wait? Wha-” This was all that came out from my mouth as shock overcame me.

“Why are you asking for her?” Rick asked after being quiet all along.

“Are you planning on selling her as a slave?” The other young adventurer, Don said, reminding me of the terrifying possibility.

“She is just a child. Don’t you have any conscience?” May shouted.

“What I want her for is none of your d*mn business!” The leader suddenly ran forward and exchanged striked the unprepared leader of the three. Rick-san got his sword blown away in a strike and was slashed on the chest.

“I will only say this once leave her and the goods or die!” The bandit leader’s shout reverberated in the place making all of us go pale especially me. Afterall, it is obvious how strong the leader is as he beat our swordsman so easily.

I looked pleadingly to Mr. Boon to which he averted my gaze. I was once again despairing as the rest of the party did the same. Finally Mr. Boon turned to me as he softly said to me:

“Look kid, I’m sorry. I don’t want to do this and I am sure that d*mn Carlos would kill me if he knows.” His words dashed my hope. He paused meeting eyes with the rest of the group then the other two members, Don and May-san also came to convince me, coincidentally blocking my body from the bandits’ view.

“Please, I’m sorry too.” The female mage said heart-brokenly as she stealthily handed me something that looked like an orb. Recognizing what it was, I suddenly got a clue as to what they wanted me to do.

“I can only hope they won’t do anything bad to you.” Mr. Boon also handed me a small paper which I quickly hid under my belt.

“Rika-chan, I am so so sorry.” Don-san was the last one to bow in apology as he didn’t forget to slip a little something into my hands.

“It’s okay.” I said as I nodded. Don’t worry guys, I got your message. I will try my utmost best to escape by myself. I intently stared back hoping to convey my words. Still, they looked and nodded at me with worry and sorry in their eyes.

After that, I walked to the bandits as one of them gagged and tied ropes around my arms. It wasn’t long before we started walking to who knows where into the forest. I looked around not saying anything as I overheard their conversation.

“Haha! Another success! We should definitely celebrate when we get back!” One of them said loudly.

“D*mn right! We should! Those guys were such cowards!”Another agreed.

“Oh right, why does Boss want this kid anyways?”

“How stupid are you? Don’t you remember the deal boss made to that merchant f**ker?”

“The deal with that skinny kid that ran away...Oh, I get it! She is going to be the replacement.” He slapped his hand as if found the answer.

“Yeah, I know we don’t usually do this but that merchant guy is freaking scary. We have to hand someone in or otherwise…” The other bandit moved his thumb around his neck making a throat slitting gesture scaring his bandit friend into cold sweat.

I see now. These bandits wanted me because they planned on using me as a replacement. I can’t help but internally curse. For the love of g*d, I just had to be here and kidnapped as a slave for that f**king whatever scary merchant!

There is no way I am giving up without a fight! I got ready as I pretended to trip while dropping the orb that was given by May-san.

A cracking sound was heard as heavy dark smoke was released from said orb.

“What the-?”

“Shit, it’s a smoke bomb!”

I turned around and zoomed in on my targeted bandit amidst the chaos of the dark smoke, the bandit who was carrying my things.

I gave a high kick to his chin, instantly knocking him out. I only managed to grab my sword and waist bag before I took out a Monsters’ Bane potion from the space bag. As soon as I threw it into the ground, I bolted in the opposite direction of the forest.

I never turned or looked back. I ran and ran as my life depended on it, ignoring every scrape, cut and bruise on my body made by the branches and vines of the forest. 


At first, there were footsteps chasing after me, so I tried running in zig zag directions, dropping one more Monsters’ Bane 100 meters into my run. 


FYI, Monsters’ Bane (I learned its recipe from Shawn-san), despite its fancy name, is just a simple potion that releases a fragrance that attracts monsters from a circumference of 200 meters to it. I hoped with all my might that the monsters attracted can distract the bandits long enough to let me get away.

I didn’t know how long I ran but just that my body is starting to feel tired. My legs creaked, and every step I take is labored. My lungs are tired due to repeatedly refreshing the oxygen to fuel my running. My pumping heart hurts after all the adrenaline ran out.

To make it worse, I regret throwing the last Monsters’ Bane. Now the whole forest is filled with the sounds of monsters’ howling. 


I was like sh*t, I screwed myself up!


I remembered being warned by Shawn-san that my potions are a bit special, and more effective than others, and to be careful using them or experiment properly before using them in a fight. 


I didn’t know my Monsters’ Bane was so freaking effective so I threw two of them. I digged my own grave, f*ck!

*Bam*

I tripped over face first by a tree root as I was distracted recollecting what happened. The feeling of eating dirt is not pleasant by any means, so do not ever try it at home.

I tried to push my body up and felt like fainting from my fatigue. My best effort only let me sit up from the ground. 


Hearing roars once again bring shivers to my spine. I guess running is no longer an option with how my body is right now (not to mention, I lost one of my shoes during my run).

I thank the gods (I am not a religious person by any means) when I realized that I miraculously still have my sword and space bag with me. 


I have to find a safe place to spend the night or else, I would be a night snack to the monsters here.   

I once again thank the gods I don’t usually believe in as my eyes spotted a huge hollowed trunk of a dead tree nearby. I excitedly crawled towards the forest’s definition of a motel. The hole of the trunk is just big enough for my small body, and for once in my life, I am thankful of my small body.

I didn’t forget to pull out some monster repelling grass from my space bag before I slept as the fatigue hit me in full force.

“Aaaah!” To only wake up later in the next morning face to face with a closed up surprised face of a little girl.

10