Chapter 15: Meeting the Girl with no Voice (2)
822 6 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

GR Chapter 15: Meeting the Girl with no Voice (2)


A/N: I am feeling proud of being able to write a rather decently sized chapter of 2000+ words this time.

“Aaaah!” To only wake up later in the next morning face to face with a closed up surprised face of a little girl.  

The said girl scurried away from me due to my scream. As for me, I hit my head with the trunk above me due to suddenly sitting up.

Oww, it hurts. I’d forgotten that I slept in a dead tree trunk last night.

I guess I wasn’t the only one taking this as a motel last night.

I slowly turned my head to the girl who gave me a big morning fright.

I couldn’t see that clearly due to how dark it is in the trunk but I could make out that the other party is a little girl with long messy hair. Ah, I met eyes with her.

The girl quickly looked away from my eyes. From the brief eye contact, I was fascinated by her eyes. They were clear and bright despite the fear and anxiety present. They somehow reminded me of something. A faint sense of familiarity. I quickly shook away the thought as now was not the time.

The girl further backed away as she felt my stare. Perhaps, she thought I would do something to her?

Excuse me, sissy. I am also a little girl alright? What and why could I possibly want to hurt you?

Holding in an eye roll, I temporarily ignored the girl as I slowly peeked outside.

Okay, the coast is clear.

I slowly crawled out of the trunk after confirming that it was safe outside. Feeling the morning sunlight, I stretched my super stiff body. Yep, I now know what it feels like to sleep on hard surfaces. Thank you very much, Mr. tree trunk. I will not forget your favor of teaching me and covering me for the night.

I heard faint sounds behind me so I turned around to see that the little girl have also crawled out.

Finally, I can clearly see her appearance. The girl was a head shorter than me with a head full of navy hair and same colored pupils. I think she is at least two years younger than me from how petite she is. Her waist long hair was a mess and she was wearing a ragged robe like shirt.

I think I figured out who she is. She should be the one the bandits were talking about last night. The escaped little girl. I never thought she’d still be here. I mean it isn’t even that far off from where the bandits are. Should I say she is lucky that she hasn’t been found or that the bandits are so stupid to have not found her?

Either way, it is not of my business to care for such things. I quickly bring my thoughts into what my next steps should be. It seems like I underestimated this world’s ferocity. My naive thoughts of having a safe adventure just slapped me hard in the face.

Now, I have to travel on my own and in the wild no less.

*sigh* I guess brooding over what happened isn’t going to take me anywhere.

I briefly looked over what I have on me and quickly analysed what I needed to survive.

Weapon, checked: my sword and a dagger. Food, checked: I still have dried rations that would last around three days. Wate, checked: I can create enough for drinking at anytime. It is a miracle that I still have my space bag, thank goodness.

*Growl*

I thought it was my stomach that was speaking up since I technically skipped dinner yesterday, but then I realized the sound was coming from near me instead. I turned to look at the little girl to see her red face as she clutched her stomach.

*growl*

Ah, this time it really is my stomach churning. The girl looked at me in the same pose as her clutching my stomach. I felt the atmosphere turning awkward.

I broke the awkward atmosphere as I sat down on a rock nearby and created a small ball of water to wash my face and mouth all the while as mine and the girl’s stomach went into a competition of who is growling louder.

Alright, alright, let me wash my mouth first would ya. Habit says that eating before brushing your teeth is unhealthy. I know that brushing my teeth in such a situation is unrealistic but at least I want to wash my mouth.

I quickly took out a piece of bread from my bag. As I was going to chomp on it, I heard a long and persistent growl from the side. I can feel the little girl’s eyes staring intently at the bread.

A heated debate broke out inside my mind. The angel Serika was in tears telling me to share food with the pitiful girl. The devil Serika is telling me to be selfish and ignore her. The intellectual Serika is analysing pros and cons of sharing the food. The lazy Serika is looking at me with sleepy eyes.

Another look into the girl’s clear eyes had me defeated and giving in to the angelic side. I slowly took out another bread and held it out in front of me.

“Here.” I defeatedly call her over.

“Here. Aren’t you hungry?” I once again said as she didn’t move from her spot. Feeling a little irritated at her slowness, I said for the third time.

“If you don’t want it, I will just take it back right now.” Finally, the girl fiercely shook her head and moved.

The little girl timidly walked over as I continued to held my hand out to her. As if she decided that I didn’t have any ill intentions, her actions quickened and she ate the bread after sitting down next to me.

We both quickly finished our bread and I made another water ball to drink from. The girl looked guarded again seeing me use magic but then her parched throat had her looking at me with imploring eyes once again. I sighed as I created another water ball for her.

I took my mind of the little girl as I rummaged around my bag to find the piece of paper that was given to me by Mr. Boon. As I unfolded it, I found that it was a map. A detailed map of the northwest region of Esteral. I can tell that it was one that was drawn by the old man himself from the routes marked and the messy unskillful lines.

I felt slightly moved. This should be a trade secret for a merchant. The routes of transportation that was put together from years of experience such as this map can also be counted as a merchant’s legacy for his later generations. No merchant would be willing to sell this easily, not to mention giving it away to outsiders. I felt his sincere hope and support for me once again.

I should be able to get to Archi safely with this map. However, for now, I should get out of this forest, and I should travel North as it was stated that the nearest village is in the north of this forest. I could restack travelling necessities again once I reach it.  

I finished my preparations for departure as I got up. I walked away without speaking a word to the little girl despite feeling her panic as she saw me leaving. I didn’t turn to look though. I know that I shouldn’t because once I did, I will have to take her with me. I have to learn to harden my heart. I already have enough trouble looking after myself. I couldn’t possibly take on another burden. I already made up my mind that I was a selfish person.

I walked and walked, stopping every once in a while picking up some wild herbs around or hiding when feeling the presence of wild monsters. It is a good thing that I came across of such wild monsters because it means that I have already passed the territory of the bandits.

My joy dampened as I felt a small presence following behind me. I know without looking that the little girl was following me. I honestly don’t know what to do right now. I tried acting tough speeding up a little cruelly thinking to leave her unable to catch up but then I eventually soften when I saw her running in panic after me.

I once again stopped to pick up a wild edible mushroom that could be eaten for lunch, feeling thankful that I didn’t slack off when Shawn-san taught me about wild plants and their uses in alchemy class.

I saw the girl’s eyes shining as she watched me carefully pull it out from the ground. She then walked to another batch of the mushroom grown nearby. I feel my heart soften again at the sight. I mean, I never had a little sister before but seeing her slowly following and imitating me made a small feeling bubble up. I only had big idiot brothers during my two lifetimes, I mean boys will always be boys. As my mind wanders to Enri and my previous life big brother, I suddenly heard a rustling sound from where the little girl was.

It was a snake. One that was directly in front of the little girl who had stiffened due to fear.

Shit, I let my guard down. I forgot that there are usually wild monsters and animals around wild herbs.

I started racking my mind as for what to do in this situation. How to deal with snakes again?

“Don’t move. Just stay there.” I told the little girl, and decided to take a gamble as I slowly walked toward another patch of mushroom near the snake. Usually animals that stay near wild herbs especially care about the herbs, so what if I deliberately try to pick out one right in front of it?

The snake quickly noticed what I was about to do as it turned and hissed at me instead of the girl. Bingo! It was a success.

Just into my joy, I was caught off guard as the snake suddenly pounced at me baring its fangs. I stumbled back clumsily as I barely dodged its bite.

Whew, I almost got bitten. I stood up taking out my short sword as the snake stood its head up and hissed at me with its forked tongue and reptilian eyes. *Gulp* This is scary. This is my first time facing a snake, a cold blooded creature that is famous for its venom filled bite. I silently cursed the various documentary that says snakes would not attack unless in fear. Right now, it was the one that attacked me okay? I hate snakes.

I bit my lips as I braced myself as it once again shot out towards me with a flip of its tail. I swiped at it with my sword but only felt a blunt resistance as my sword hit its scaled body.

What F*cking type of snake isn’t cut by a sword!? I once again experience the difference of this world’s ferocity, even your normal snake is this tough.

The snake abruptly twisted its body to once again aim for a bite right at my face. My arms moved in panic as I blocked its bite at the last minute. I can clearly see its fangs that was blocked by my sword as the snake’s mouth opened widely. I quickly flipped my sword and used its blade to cut the mouth of the snake. The snake was cut into two with little resistance this time since I cut it from the soft inside of its mouth. I wobbly put my short sword back in its sheath as I finally noticed my body trembling.

Whew, that was close. I turned to the girl to only feel an impact as my body was suddenly hugged. The little girl had ran to me and tackled me in a hug. I felt her body trembling and my shirt getting wet without hearing her utter a sound.

“It’s okay. It’s okay now. I’m alright.” I softly murmured as my hand softly patted the girl’s back.

I don’t think I can just leave her alone after all. Not only is she hopeless in this kind of forest, and would die if left alone. I figured why I have not heard a single sound from the girl.

She was mute.

I also found out why I felt familiarity with her eyes, it was the eyes of a girl who has realized her hopeless reality and was on the verge of giving up on life, the exact same eyes I once had in my previous life.   

   

15