Chapter 9
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Any old man.

Jun, Caxi, Xana and Kup were traveling on their way to Des, after stopping at Arthpam village.

"Hey, what's that?"

At that moment, Kup managed to see something strange a few meters away, something that appeared to be a person resting under a tree.

"Nothing of interest, let's keep walking."

Jun was not planning to get involved with anyone until arriving to town, however Kup had another idea.

"I'll go see him."

Knowing that he couldn't convince Jun, Kup decided to take the initiative.

"I'll go with you."

Xana followed him.

"…Dammit."

Jun surrendered to the situation, let out a sigh and followed the youngsters along with Caxi.

"Sir, are you okay?"

After reaching the old man, Kup tried to speak to him, however, he seemed sound asleep.

"Come on, let's not waste time."

Jun just wanted to leave the place.

"I guess you're right…"

Kup turned around and started to retreat and relief was building inside Jun until...

"Who are yall?"

…Suddenly, the old man's lips moved.

"We are travelers, we come from the Scoa town."

"So travelers... I didn't know that the Scoas still had an ace up their sleeve."

The old man had narrowed his eyes, as if the daylight bothered him, however, it could be noticed that he was looking at Jun.

"Who do you mean?"

Kup was confused.

"That boy who made a contract with a deity."

"Ah, you speak of Jun, well, he is the strongest, but he does not fight for his race."

"Oh, that's interesting."

The old man fell silent and Kup's confused face only grew larger.

After that this man had a radical change of attitude, until then he seemed serious and strong, however, now...

"Well, well, well, what do we have here? Ya kids have a snack for me? Hey? Hey?"

…He seemed to be completely insane.

Kup and Xana were looking at each other, they didn't understand what was happening and had question marks above their heads.

"Let's spend the night here, we've traveled without much rest since we left town, I don't want to keep walking."

"Y-yeah... sounds good."

Atfter hearing Jun Kup nodded, even though he was still confused due to the old man's attitude.

 

A crazy old man.

The situation had only escalated into more levels of nonsense.

The old man began to tell stories, of his past, of Xándem... and some strange places.

"Trust me, Xándem is not the world where all races were born."

"But how do you know?"

Kup seemed interested in the man's delusions.

"Oh well… I am someone long-lived and important."

"Yes, yes, whatever you say."

Xana only blurted out a few words from time to time.

The two young travelers, though they didn't believe any of his stories, were having a good time.

“When I was your age, I just put a small boat in a river… and, although it was surrounded by ships, the world ended up being mine…. Ah, those were good times."

“That's some kind of poem, right? If I am not mistaken it is a story of the first great pirate, it is a well known legend of the Arthpams."

Kup seemed knowledgeable about the culture of other races.

"Well, I don't know if he's crazy or just an incredible person..."

Xana had a headache from having to imagine the old man's fictional scenarios, yet she was having fun.

Jun was lying on the ground looking up at the sky, thinking by himself.

Caxi had gone wandering through the forest and had returned at dusk carrying a dead beast.

Hey brat, here's some food.

Just leave it near the flies, they surely will prepare something.

The young magical archer was surprised to see the beast, as it seemed to be very strong, and he did not hesitate to use all its remains to make a delicious dinner.

"Yeah ha ha ha, now that's a snack! The best thing I've had in years!"

The crazy old man was enjoying the feast.

"Uh, thanks, I guess."

And Kup kept getting confused because of his attitude.

 

An old song.

The night passed quietly after enjoying the food, the old man fell asleep almost instantly and Xana and Kup decided to do the same.

"Good night, Jun."

Kup said those words and went to sleep, not waiting for an answer from Jun that would never come.

Xana also went quietly to sleep.

The youngsters infused their bodies with a little bit of fire magic to get warm and used leaves as pillows.

Jun simply fell asleep on the ground, not using magic of any kind.

The next morning, they were determined to leave again.

They already knew that this old man didn't need help in the first place, so Kup decided there was no need to waste any more time.

Knowing this Jun was relieved, he didn't want to have anything to do with anyone.

However, before they left, the old man, who was sitting under a tree, stood up and resumed the serious attitude that he had when they met him.

"And as you fight among the death beneath the dirt, do you know yet?"

The travelers turned around, they did not understand what was happening.

While the old man spit out a monologue Jun wanted to silence him, however, he couldn't, he felt that he shouldn't.

"And when the giants come and ask you what you're worth, do you know yet?"

"Let's go, this old man is crazy."

Xana was tired of hearing him, so she insisted they should keep going.

"You're right."

Kup didn't know how to react.

"Y-yes, come on."

Even Jun was confused, however...

"Do you know if... win or die, you'll..."

…The young man's eyes widened due to what he was hearing.

When he turned around, there was no one there.

Xana and Kup did not seem to have noticed, as they were walking normally.

Jun knew how to finish the phrase the old man was saying, it was a song of the Scoa race dedicated to his greatest warriors.

The words came out of Jun's mouth...

"Push through hell and... rise"

After saying that, he clenched his fists.

"Who the hell was that guy?"

That chant and that question stayed etched in Jun's mind.

0