Vol. 1 CH. 5 – A long way…
36 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Vol. 1 CH. 5 - A long way...

 

Mark and everyone else started their journey. The long way towards the northwest quadrant was peaceful and hardly any monsters were attacking. However, with their current pace and due to the amount of people coming, they were moving slower than anticipated.

 

During the first 5 days, everyone had switched sleeping in mornings and nights. Those whom slept at morning continue the pace at night and those who walk at night slept in the morning. The cycle continues and with this pace, they were reaching the sixth day of their travel.

 

Of course, there were times where everyone decided to rest for a while. Camps were set up but most of everyone sleeps outside with guards staying up during the night.

 

Mark himself was sleepless for about three days after they left. He was the one giving the instructions so he wasn't allowed to sleep even for a minute. What's more, because he was more experience in the outside world, Mark was the only one that can tell whether it's a good place to sleep or not.

 

Underground dweller monsters often attack those who walk over their nests. Mark would often fight them at night whenever they attack and furthermore, they were all to easy to beat.

 

For a single fighter like Mark, wandering through a nest of monsters was suicide. He doesn't have any recovery potions and the like to heal his wounds so he was in a 100% danger of dying from a deadly wound.

 

But, Mark have already trained himself to the point that making a single step doesn't even make a sound. His presence erased to the point that even <Presence Isolation> skill was overshadowed. Furthermore, Mark's Archery skills and Knife throwing skills were of high proficiency. Simply aiming for the head was enough to kill thick skinned monsters for Mark, who had poor eyesight.

 

Now that Mark was leading a large amount of people to an untrodden land, the monster attacks decrease and hardly even tree type monsters were attacking.

 

This pace may be slow but it was relatively safe. No one was complaining so it was practically fine. Mark was the leader, or so everyone says, so no one even complained even when he said "Let's continue until the next morning" with a spartan like tone.

 

"You guys.... why are you even here?"

 

Mark was leading everyone from the front. He wasn't riding any vehicles that others were riding so he was surprised when his classmates appeared behind him, similarly walking just like he was doing.

 

"We just want to see this world in your perspective... But it's hell a lot boring than we thought"

 

Joshua uttered so proudly but he complained at the end as he felt that walking was too boring and wasn't exciting enough. Everyone else was in agreement but none tried to voice it out. Mark merely made a blank face as he had really no idea why everyone else was following around and calling him "leader" where in truth, he was just doing what he think was right.

 

"It's the first time we get to fight alongside you so think of this as going to war"

 

"War is troublesome; spare me from leading something like that..."

 

Mark sighed as he replied from Philip's words of encouragement that seemed reckless if you think about it.

 

"What, I thought you'll be leading us to a place with far better living environment? It's a condominium right?"

 

Ron asked, making a *cling-clang* sound with his heavy looking armor. It wasn't hot so nobody was complaining about the heat thankfully. But they were walking which was rather a sweaty work. Ron though wasn't sweating much as everyone else but... just watching him walk while wearing his heavy armor made Mark feel sweaty himself...

 

"It is and it's a Russian condominium. Thankfully it has electricity and clean running water. We'll stay there until we make sure the cave next to it is the place that leads to the next floor"

 

Just a few days ago, Mark returned with good news saying that he found a place that may be the one that could lead everyone to the next floors. Because of this, everyone immediately packed up and followed Mark even though knowing that this may be a wild goose chase.

Still, the preparations continued and now they were on their way to the place Mark had told them. It was a Russian condominium that was already desolate and abandoned by its inhabitants.

 

"The condominium is enough for everyone to live in for a few days. Also, its next to the cave and lake. We'll be able to save time in preparing to leave this place"

 

"But we'll still investigate that cave first right?"

 

"Yeah; the troubling part is that it’s filled with monsters so we can't exactly swim there. I want to at least make a bridge to go reach the island but its a few kilometers long, it'll be a problem building a bridge that long without supports underneath"

 

In the photo that Mark shared to everyone, the lake contained monsters of unknown origins inside it. With those things inside the lake, even crossing the lake through a boat would be impossible.

More so, making a bridge without going underneath the lake to Mae supports was impossible. Even for Mark who was high in level, going underwater was a disadvantaged.

 

"Even if I do make a hydrogen bomb using with what we currently have it would impossible. Modern weapons has no effect in the monsters of this world"

 

"I know that modern weapons have no effect on monsters but thinking of making a bomb itself is amazing...."

 

Ron was amazed that his friend could easily say that he can make a bomb with the materials he have in their disposal. Even the guys behind them were in agreement.

 

"In any case, let's stay alert for now. The monsters here are more ferocious than the ones we had near our university"

 

Mark warned everyone so while activating an active skill <Presence Detect> in order to increase the scope of his vision. Mark have fought countless monsters already in this quadrant. He knows just how dangerous to be complacent in the middle of a journey.

 

-

 

Night came. The once wide plain of green was enveloped by absolute darkness. However, thanks to the ingenuity of the engineering team and Mark's advice in making self-generating electricity, the camp that was set up was illuminated in the darkness.

 

Tonight, it was Mark's turn to guard the night. His classmates as well as the ones that were shifting every morning were now wide awake with weapons in hand.

 

The camp was made in a circular fashion. There were three rings that serve as the patrol line, the rear patrol line and the base camp. Mark was at the patrol line which was being light upon by light torches that use the atmosphere to generate electricity.

 

It was something that should have been made impossible in this world because it lacks many materials. Even computer parts were nonexistent and everyone relies mostly in chained powered engines to power up electricity. Car engines were converted into hydrogen powered so fuel costs were being maintained favorably.

 

As for the solar panels that charge the batteries of every vehicle, the old CDs were enough to do the trick since the light only focus on one point.

 

The darkness was vast and the only place with light was their camp. It would be understandable if monsters were to attack them during their vulnerable time so Mark had set up a shift system in order for everyone else to rest properly. Though in the end, Mark was pushing his body way too much.

 

'Well, my own health is the least of my concern' Mark thought so as he heightened his senses in order to perceive in the darkness.

 

Because Mark usually travels alone, things like camp at night doesn't exist to him. Before, Mark would sleep on tree tops and erases his presence every night. Mark can't see through darkness so it was only normal for him to be extra careful.

 

Furthermore, his health was the least of his concern. He had been doing this for a while now so there was no change even if he stays up late now.

 

"Haah.... as always, its cold during the night in this world"

 

Mark has no idea why it was so cold during the night in this world. They weren't in a high place to begin with and without the moon, there should be no gravitational pull in this world that made waves. Oceans don’t even exist but Lakes and rivers exist but they rely on the air of this world.

 

Mark also doesn't understand how flora could grow in this world. It has no sun so there should be no photosynthesis. There were monsters but their fertilizers only reach certain places. Oxygen exists but there were no other beings except monsters breathing it.

 

This world was surely mysterious. Mark can't help but feel confused of just how this world works...

 

'With the blind idiot god ruling the court of daemons and outer gods, I guess this would be outcome' Mark thought so as he stretched his arms and legs in order to stay awake. Dinner was already finishing so there was only a few people left awake.

 

Mark looked back at the camp which was covered with tents and people sleeping with blankets over their bodies. Mark unconsciously smiled as he was reminded with his family back on earth.

 

'I guess some things never change even on other worlds...' Mark satisfied with how everyone was calmly sleeping, returned to his post and resumed guarding...

 

"Hey"

 

"Cornelia?"

 

Mark was visited by Cornelia. It was something that doesn't really happen often so he was shock. Cornelia was holding two cups of coffee in each of her hand.

 

"I've come to give you a drink, want some?"

 

"Oh, thanks then"

 

Mark thankfully received the coffee and immediately drank it. However, as it was hot, Mark hurt his lip and stopped after one sip.

 

A long while silence roam between Mark and Cornelia. The silence last for about five minutes. But even the noise of insects around them couldn't make them talk as time continued. Later after, as the last drop of coffee entered Mark's throat, Mark handed the cup back to Cornelia and thanked her.

 

"Thanks for the coffee; it warmed me up a bit"

 

"Eh. Ah, uh.... Nn, no problem"

 

'Did she just stutter?' Mark wondered so after seeing Cornelia's reaction earlier. Cornelia immediately stood up from her seat as she grabbed the cup Mark just returned. With a reddened face an unaccomplished sense of feeling, Cornelia went away from Mark with her shoulders slumped.

 

Seeing such thing, Mark smiled and looked above at the starless and moon less sky...

 

"Thanks for staying beside me. I appreciated the company, Cornelia"

 

"....."

 

Unconsciously, Cornelia stopped her stepped as she heard Mark's words behind her. Her face that was filled with regret and depression suddenly lit up. Mark's words were what Cornelia needed at that time. That was because, during the first day, she was also the first one to cast him away..

 

The feeling of losing someone you know was painful for Cornelia. Mark was a mere acquaintance but if it weren't for him working nonstop for everyone sake, most of them wouldn't have died.

 

This encounter was her way of showing her thanks and a way of apologizing as well for what he did to him during the first day.

 

After that, Cornelia went away with a smile....

 

"Now then, you can come out now"

 

Once Mark confirmed that Cornelia have left, Mark called out to the mysterious and rude eavesdropper that was hiding within the darkness. Slowly, that person entered the range of the light torches and went towards Mark with clapping steps due to her geta.

 

"I seemed to have underestimated you huh?"

 

"What do you think I am Clara?"

 

The person that eavesdropped on Mark and Cornelia was the former student body President Clara McLaren. To her clothes being all black, it was hard to see her in the dark; even more so after she added the skill <Presence Isolation> to it.

 

"My, was I interrupting your conversation earlier?"

 

"There wasn't even a talk and you were being rude for eavesdropping"

 

The two exchange few more remarks before getting quiet. Mark was alone so he doesn't mind the company but having two girls visiting him at night was not healthy.

 

Clara was wearing a Japanese kimono. It was one of those clothes that were meant to show more skin than ever. Furthermore, it suited Clara's black hair and fair white skin. Her beauty stands out even more with how she wore the kimono that shows her lightly plump chest and white long legs.

It only feels more of a cosplay than actual clothes since she was wearing it...

 

"That looks chilly, are you sure you didn't want a coffee that Cornelia brought?"

 

"Don't worry, I made this clothes myself so it has an effect to hinder the cold and increase the warmth of its insides"

 

"Sounds complicated...."

 

Clara was from the Fashion design course. Because of that, she has knowledge of making clothes and added with the skills of this world, making clothes that only experts can make were far easier than before.

What's more, because her skill involves making special effects added on clothes, her armors were basically the ones she sewed altogether after adding a few enchantments.

Honestly, her clothes were of better quality that Mark, who merely collected high effect armors and clothes from drop items of monsters.

 

Mark scratched the back of his head as he doesn't understand the principle of adding enchantments on fabric...

 

"My, it’s just pouring all your heart into sewing is all"

 

"You lost me there...."

 

Mark sighs as he looked around the camp to confirm that no one was looking. After that, he turns his attention to Clara once again.

 

"So? What do you want?"

 

"My... Cornelia received a warm welcome but I get the cold shoulder instead? Quite the favoritism there"

 

"If you're not here to talk then please leave. I'm busy guarding all you guys here"

 

"Yes yes, I'll stop then"

 

Seeing Mark was getting irritated there, Clara switch gears and began to act more seriously. After clearing her throat once, Clara faced Mark once more.

 

"How long will we last until the three months are up?"

 

"If we include the time of thinking up of a way to reach the shore of that cave, then we at least have four more days to prepare. We'll probably storm the cave with everyone and block the entrance there..."

 

There was less than week and a month left before the end day. If they were to continue with their pace now, they'd be there before the first week next month ends.

 

If they were to add the part where they have to build a bridge or cross the lake by swimming, then it'd take them another week at most. Lastly, waiting for the other guys that Mark have met in his travels in the same floor, another two weeks would be needed in the end, there would be no time before they reach the next floor.

 

"We have the man power to fight a flood of monsters. That, included the ones I've recruited so far, then we'll be fine at the most but...."

 

Their numbers would surely increase once the other groups joins up. Mark have already thought of making a fortress out of the condominium and stay there for a while even when the flood arrives.

 

However, the problem would be how would the flood act? Would it spawn infinite number of monsters? Or will it act like a flood and cease after some time. Mark was unsure but, making this work would surely bring about everyone's survival....

 

"So you found other people as well huh?"

 

"Yeah, they were in the worst state by the time I found them and honestly, if I didn't met them, they would resorted to cannibalism... "

 

"That would even be more unfortunate" Mark added with a weak and sad voice....

 

"So, the reason why you want us to gather "some" men was because..."

 

"I was planning on having the ones I recruited act as bait for the monsters in the lake. But, with you guys here, I guess shelving that idea of mine was appropriate"

 

"....."

 

Mark's ideas were inhumane. However, these thoughts of his could save many lives. Even though Mark have already taken account of the price he had to pay, he still went and do what he planned. However the course has changed and all of the students and adults that was in the university decided to come with Mark to the abandoned condominium at the fourth quadrant.

Because of that, it saved Mark's conscience. He wouldn't have to sacrifice other people's lives just for the sake of the ones he knows.

 

Clara was surprised by this side of Mark. Although it doesn't usually show on his face, Mark was thinking of many things for everyone to survive. The bags visible underneath his eyes, the pail complexion and the shallow cheeks made it even more convincing.

Mark was not selfishly think of surviving. He was thinking of many ways for everyone to survive.

 

"Really.... you are indeed the strongest"

 

Knowing that, Clara can't help but admire that strength and fortitude of his.

 

"Hm?"

 

"Oh its nothing. Anyways, is there any more plans you would like to share?"

 

"Hmm... oh right, there's one"

 

Mark told Clara the next step of his plan once he reach the next floor. If by doing this will make everyone survive then Clara would gladly lend a hand. However, the words she heard from Mark made Clara step back.

 

"You.... that's suicide..."

 

"Me staying here and acting as leader is a bad thing. You guys already have factions so I'm already not needed. This plan is to ensure everyone's safety. Both friend and foe"

 

The plan which would then happened once they reach the next floor was dangerous. If this were to happen, then all the people that see Mark as a leader would turn into his enemies. What's more, the trust that everyone gave him would crumble instantly. It was something that needed to be avoided but...

 

"You guys rely on me way too much. It's about time I left the stage"

 

"You're talking as if you're about to die...."

 

"I won't die but.... this might eventually kill me in the future"

 

After investigating around this place; Mark was sure that there are many more like them in this world. Just like the condominium he discovered that came from Russia, it was possible that other countries have been abducted into this as well.

There were still many mysteries however; there was no time to make sure. If this plan works, then Mark would be able to move far more freely than before without worsening the image everyone has.

 

"One's we reach the second floor.... things will be far more gruesome than ever"

 

Mark's voice that carried a fearful warning sent chills down Clara's spine. Mark's words were never wrong. Ever since they came to this world, it was him that made everything work despite him not being involved in it.

It was as if, he knows about this world far more than everyone else. Clara, saw something that even she thought that won't exist on earth...

 

The true face of a monster lurking in the shadows... Mark was like that in her eyes....

0