Chapter 15: The Way Things Are
234 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After that day I had, I was extremely exhausted so I ended up going to bed early.  I very quickly went to sleep. When I opened my eyes, I wasn’t in my room. I was walking outside, next to Phil. That wasn’t the only thing that was different. I was suddenly male again. Everything seemed to be back to the way it was. Together, the two of us walked into a burger joint and got ourselves some food before sitting down and eating.

“You been doing your homework?” asked Phil.

“Y-Yeah.” I said, “I have.”

“Did you understand the math assignment at all?” he asked.

“Not really.” I answered.

“You never change, do you?” he said.

“I guess.” I replied.

“Um… is there anyone you like right now?” asked Phil.

I choked on my food.

“Um… no.” I said.

“So, you’re not?” he said.

“Not really.” I replied.

“Well, it’s not like it matters right now,” he said, “we have several years left in our lives.”

“Yeah.”

“So, you plan on getting married?”

“One of these days.”

The two of us continued talking. It felt good. I was happy everything was how it used to be, but then my cheek felt wet. I was crying. As tears slowly slid down my face the room around me started distorting. I must have realized that this wasn’t real. I was just remembering the old days with Phil. As much as I wanted to, we wouldn’t be able to get those days back. The sound of my best friend’s voice got quieter and quieter until I could no longer hear it. After that, I was suddenly in a hallway.

“I should have known… that was too good to be true.” I said.

My body felt different. I realized I had become female again.

“This is how I’ll be from now on, huh?” I said.

After I said that, I saw a person appear in front of me. It was my male self.

“Why do you have to go?” I asked.

He didn’t respond. He just turned around and began running. Without even thinking about it, I started to run after him.

“Come back!” I yelled.

He didn’t respond. He just kept running down this never ending hallway.

“I’m not ready to say goodbye.” I said, falling over.

I was stuck on the ground, and watched the old me run even further away.

“Why am I even trying?” I asked myself, “My fate was decided the day I was born with alien blood.”

I stayed for a bit before getting up and dusting myself off. Suddenly, my old self appeared in front of me. He was looking at me with a dead expression and then his hair started turning silver and his eyes became golden. After that, his hair grew longer and before I knew it, he had completely turned into Silver.

“No.” I said.

After that, a knife appears in her hand and afterwards, she strikes my head. It seemed that she had cut my head off. All I could do was stare as my eyes closed. The next thing I knew, I was in my own bed, swearing.

“It was a dream…” I said.

I was glad that it was only a dream. However, I couldn’t help but miss those old days I spent with Phil. He didn’t know the full truth about me and the fact that I had been keeping it from him honestly made me feel guilty. I was pretty much lying to him about being a different person. Did I really have to keep this up? While I was thinking about it, my phone went off. I saw a message from Phil.

“Can we talk tomorrow?” he said.

“Sure.” I replied.

“Bring your cousin.” demanded Phil.

“I’ll try.” I said.

What was I going to do? We were the same person, but there was no way he’d know that. Would he believe me if I told him. Would it even be a good idea to tell him?

“No, I need you to promise me he’ll come.” said Phil.

“Um, why don’t you just ask him directly?” I asked.

“He hasn’t responded to anything lately.” replied Phil.

“So you want me to bring him?” I responded, “I said I’d do my best, didn’t I?”

“What? Does he not listen to you either?” he asked.

“I’ll come see you tomorrow so we can talk.”

“You’re not thinking about coming over by yourself, are you?”

“We have a lot to talk about.”

“I know.”

“Not just about what happened on the roof, but… what really happened to Christopher.”

“What are you saying?”

“I’ll tell you tomorrow.”

“You’re really going to leave me hanging?”

“Dude, it’s the middle of the night.”

“Right. Sorry.”

“Talk to you tomorrow.”

I then put my phone down and wondered if any of this was a good idea. We were going to have a very serious discussion about everything that I had been keeping secret for a while. Would Phil even believe anything I had to say? There was only one way to find out.

4