Thursday: December 5th
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I took a breath. It was the moment of truth. I was going to find out if I was going to run into the cute guy. I was going to find out if I was going to be successful in avoiding the cute guy or if I was going to be a fool. Maybe he wouldn't recognize me if I saw him again. Here was the hope of never seeing him again.

As soon as the lecture finished, I shoved my stuff into my backpack. I stood up and looked around the lecture hall. The cute guy wasn't anywhere in sight. I was relieved but disappointed at the same time. I didn't know how that was possible. What made this guy so special? Why did my brain choose him? I just wanted to know the answer to why I felt this way about a guy I didn't know.

Hailey: Good news and bad news. Good news: I didn't humiliate myself in front of the cute guy today.

Sam: And the bad news?

Hailey: I didn't see him today.

Mom: I thought you didn't want to see him.

Hailey: I said I didn't know. I guess there is no problem with seeing him from a distance.

Mom: Where did I fail my girls?

Hailey: You married our father.

I rolled my eyes at my mom's cheesiness. She knew full well that I didn't like talking to people. I mean, I was okay if they started talking to me first, but I didn't like being the first one to start an actual conversation. In college, it was a bit harder to be forced to talk to someone when there wasn't as much group work or even the fact that most of my lectures had over a hundred students in them. It probably didn't help that I tried to sit alone in all my lectures as well.

Back in high school, I had people I was friends with in most, if not all, of my classes. I either knew my friends for years, or I did music with them, so we were stuck together all the time. Either way, college meant I had to start from scratch. It makes it harder when you don't have multiple classes with the same exact people. It definitely showed my true colors and how much of an introvert I truly was.

I guess it didn't help that last year, I had a hard time letting go of high school. I wanted to be a part of it as much as I could. I went to the homecoming football game, joined a group chat with my old band section, and went to a couple of show choir performances. As excited as I was to leave my senior year, being a freshman all over again made me miss the familiarity of high school. It took me almost until the end of last school year that maybe it was time to let go of high school. Plus, I had to prove to a few people that I was better off without them.

I got back from class and dove straight into homework. The more homework I did tonight, the less I had to do this weekend. I wanted to do as little work as possible for at least on Saturday so that I can regain my social battery. Sunday, I might have to do homework for next week, so I could focus on pretending that I was studying for finals.

After a couple of assignments were completed, I looked at my phone. I saw that I had a text from my dad. I internally groaned when I saw the text. I love my dad, don't get me wrong, but he was the worst person to text on the planet. Most of the time, I ignored his texts because he always texted pointless things, and it was always at the worst times. However, I couldn't text any of my other family members when I was ignoring him because he goes off about how his feelings were hurt because I was ignoring him. News flash, that man doesn't have feelings.

Dad: Big plans for the weekend?

Hailey: Winterfest is tomorrow. Otherwise, just sleep and school.

Dad: That sounds pretty exciting.

Hailey: Sure

Dad: It's Taco Thursday.

This is when I start ignoring him because he sends useless updates like how long the wait was or how many drinks he was on. You know stupid stuff like that. I get that it was his way of showing love and checking in because I didn't ever call, but it is draining.

You're probably wondering why I never call my family. I wasn't a massive fan of talking on the phone, and I didn't have an interesting enough life to call them all the time. The only person I called was my grandma, and that was because she could barely use the landline, let alone learn how to text. Anything else, if it was important enough to call, it was important enough to text. However, there are a few exceptions to the rule, such as an emergency.

I came out of my room when I heard voices in the kitchen. I walked out to see all three of my roommates hanging out in the kitchen. I made my way over to hang out with them. I needed something to relax my brain. Between school, obsessing over the cute guy, and the dooming fact that finals were coming, I needed a break.

"Did you see the cute guy today?" Alice asked. Nevermind about forgetting about the cute guy.

"Wait, what?" Ronnie said. Both Layla and Ronnie were confused. I guess I was somewhat doomed now. "You saw the cute guy?"

"I didn't see him," I said.

Layla asked, "But you wanted to?"

"I don't know. I was scared of running into him again today, but I didn't. I was kinda disappointed because I wanted to see him from afar."

"Why?" All three asked in unison.

"Because he was cute."

"Hailey's got a crush," Alice started chanting. I sent her a glare, but that didn't stop her. Soon the other two joined in. "Hailey's got a crush. Hailey's got a crush. Hailey's got a crush."

"No, I don't. I don't know the guy, and if I did, he wouldn't like me like that."

"Why not?" Ronnie asked.

"Because I am me, and I know that isn't good enough."

"I told you we were going to work on your confidence."

I sighed, "What is there to work on? I absolutely hate myself, but there are worse people out there than me, so, therefore, I am fabulous."

"That is one conflicting confidence, but I understand it," Layla said.

"We just have to help you like yourself," Ronnie shouted in excitement.

"No, makeovers," I exclaimed.

"Wouldn't dream of it," Ronnie said with a smile.

I had no idea what I got myself into. This was going to be the best thing to ever happen to me, or I was going to hate myself even more. Either way, it was going to be interesting.

0