Wednesday: December 11th
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was back earlier than usual because today in my chemistry lab was clean up day, and it only took an hour. So, I was just glad I didn't have to be out until six. This gave me a few extra hours to study for finals. However, we all knew that I wasn't actually going to study. I just said that I was going to study to make myself feel better. It was a terrible habit that I had gotten myself into years ago and never stopped. I say I'm going to be productive, and then I'm not.

"The season's upon us, it's that time of year. Brandy and eggnog, there's plenty of cheer. There's lights on the trees and there's wreaths to be hung. There's mischief and mayhem and songs to be sung. They call this Christmas where I'm from," My phone blared before it got interrupted by a text. This song was a jam and had become one of my favorites. I found it a few years ago when I was working a seasonal job at the mall.

Ethan: What are you doing later?

Hailey: Studying for finals, why?

Ethan: You're coming over to meet the boys.

Hailey: Do I have to? I'm not good with people.

Ethan: Please? They want to meet the girl I won't shut up about. I'll buy you food.

Hailey: Fine. Send me your address. I'll be there eventually.

He sent me his address. I left my room to grab a snack when I saw my three roomies, all talking. They all must have come out of their rooms or classes, and I didn't notice. It was common for me not to hear them if I had music playing. It drowned out the rest of the world when I was really focused.

"Not that any of you care, but I'm going out later," I said. They all turned and looked at me with confused expressions. I never went out unless it was with them or for school. Well, with the exception of yesterday.

"You don't ever go out," Alice said. Somehow, I knew that it was going to be the first thing I was going to hear. "Where are you going?"

"Ethan's. His friends supposedly want to meet me."

Layla asked, "As in the guy you keep running into?" She just got a nod.

"Speaking of Ethan," Ronnie said. I groaned, knowing where she was going with the conversation. I didn't tell the other two. "How was your date yesterday?"

"It wasn't a date," I protested.

Alice and Layla shouted at the same time, "You went on a date?"

"It wasn't a date. We just went to Starbucks and hung out."

"That's a date!" All three roommates argued.

"Whether it was a date or not isn't important," I said, starting to get annoyed. I didn't want to start a fight. "I'll be out late and don't know when I'll be back."

"Make sure you use protection," Ronnie jokes.

Layla asked," When are we going to meet him?"

"Yeah, I want to meet him," Alice said. I knew this was coming, but I didn't know what was going to be said next. "I want to make sure he knows what he is getting himself into."

"I hate you three," I said, causing us all to laugh.

Ethan led me from the parking lot to his apartment. He held my hand the whole way to "make sure I didn't get lost," but I knew that it was just an excuse. I mean, come on, that was the lamest excuse he could have used, especially since no one else was wandering the hallway. However, I wasn't going to argue.

"I brought a guest," Ethan said the second we walked into his apartment. Three boys turned to look at me. "Guys, this is Hailey. Hailey, the furthest from us, is Liam, then Isaac, and then Jackson. They are also on the hockey team, but they also decided to live with me."

"Why would you want to live with him?" I asked the three boys. Ethan looked offended while the guys started laughing.

Ethan scoffed, "I invited you into my home, and this is how you act?"

"Well yeah," I said in a 'duh' tone. This caused the guys to laugh even harder. "I keep trying to get rid of you, but you keep coming back. You're like a cockroach."

"Dude, we need to keep her around," The guy furthest from us said. Honestly, I forgot all of their names. I didn't try to remember them in the first place.

"I'm trying, but you heard her, she keeps trying to get rid of me," Ethan whined as he pulled me to where the guys were chilling. He sat down on the one open spot and pulled me onto his lap. That didn't last a minute before I sat on the floor. He just frowned at me.

"Do you play video games?" The guy sitting right next to me asked. I should have remembered their names. I felt bad.

I shook my head and said, "Unless it's Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros., or the Lego games for the Wii, I am not much of a gamer. That was more of a thing for my siblings than me. However, I don't mind watching people play. Whenever I am home, I spend a lot of time watching my brother play PS4 games. I like watching the stories fold out."

"You're weird," The one furthest of me said. He tossed Ethan a controller and started a round of Fortnite. I just sat on the floor with my head leaning against Ethan's legs.

While the guys played their game, I learned about each one. The one furthest from me was Liam, and he has been Ethan's best friend since diapers. He was studying criminal justice but didn't know what he was going to do with it. He was loud and outgoing but super nice. He was currently talking to the girl who's best friend was the one that Ethan took ice skating. He doesn't necessarily like playing hockey, but it got him a full ride, so he didn't quit.

The next one that hasn't talked to me was Isaac. He was also studying Criminal Justice, which was how he got close to Liam. He wanted to be a homicide detective. Yeah, I didn't get it either. He was quiet until he gets comfortable with you, then he was outgoing. He had a long-distance girlfriend that he was head over heels for and brightened up when they mention her.

Finally, the one sitting next to Ethan was Jackson. He was the oddball that was studying elementary education. Apparently, he was a huge sucker with kids. He had my full support if he wanted to work for the nightmare we call America's education system. He was laid back but was a total ladies man. He supposedly flirted with every girl he met if it wasn't one of his friends' girlfriends, sisters, or crushes.

"I should get going," I told Ethan when it got late. I had classes in the morning and didn't want to oversleep. "I don't want to go to class tired."

"I'll walk you out," He said as he grabbed his keys and slid on his shoes. We walked out of the apartment.

When we got outside, I heard someone say, "Ethan?" I turned around and saw the girl from the ice rink.

0