Ch 4 – The Taste of Coffee (Rei’s PoV)
18 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Floracliff, a rural town that specializes on flowers. At least that is what the information from earlier says. Sure there are flowers as far as the eye can see, but there are also quite a lot of structures built on and in the trees. A somewhat modern look for your typical elf tree village. It isn't really that modern though...

The church we came from is actually at the middle and the highest point in the town. You can even see the outskirts of the town and all its respectful districts. The highest area, aside from this church it seems to be only lookout areas and residential homes. The establishments on the middle area are a mix of residential and business. It looks like some specialized and personal businesses can be found there. 

As for the lowest and ground level, it's mostly shops and quite a lot of storage areas. To the 4 o'clock of northeast, I could eye what seems to be an adventurer's guild hall. At 2 o'clock near the central road, the merchant guild. The entire area on southeast looks like it's filled with shops for adventurers.

Myll started pointing at certain structures and establishments asking what they are. This girl will be hyperactive for quite a while from the looks of it. She may be able to even use her activeness to point out a place where we could buy her clothes.

"Rei, what's that place?"

After Myll asks for certain places and things are. Such as a lamp posts, the brick road down below, bridges, lookout posts, establishments like an alchemy store and personal stores. She asked a restaurant that caught my eye.

The Landing Spot.

"Rei?"

To my curiosity, I just checked it out. I has the same feel of how it looks like on the outside exactly how it also feels on the real world. When I glanced inside I saw a familiar face serving customers.

I immediately went inside called her out to confirm if the familiar face is the one I know. "Celia?"

"Huh..? Rei..?"

It was Celia, exactly how she looks like in the real world too.

"Did I hear that name correctly?" The man brewing the coffee behind the counter asked. "Is that really you Rei?"

"Is he the one you've been talking about Boss? He doesn't look human to me though." The old lady on the nearest table to the counter followed up a question.

Upon hearing his name, I took a closer look. It's my Uncle and my boss, the one who owns The Landing Spot as a whole. Everyone calls him Boss, not because he is the boss but his name is Boss.

"We are players, we can come to this world with any race we desire. Like how this girl and I am a half-demon."

They're half-demons? They look like humans to me though.

"Rei! Rei! What's this place?" Myll came from behind and was excited to see the inside.

"You shouldn't shout in these places Myll." I mildly scold her.

"Yup, that's Rei alright." Boss chuckles. "Always attracting beauties to the store."

"That's really not funny Uncle." I whine after he said the joke out loud with a few customers to hear. I don't want to be known for that, even as joke or their own fact.

I grab Myll's hand and took her with me to the counter. Celia seems very wary of the girl I'm dragging along with me, but I kind of get the idea why. Though, young girls are always a hard read... so I didn't jump into any conclusions and left it as a food for thought.

"I hope you don't plan to just be on that side on the counter Rei." Boss said.

"Why?"

Boss points his head on the clock on the kitchen. It's near the yellow mark. The yellow marks on the clock is the usual busy hours of the shop, showing the hours employees must prepare and brace themselves for. It's one of his own many ways of giving us info based from his observation.

"Busy hour is soon huh. But I'm not employed here." I said.

"Nonsense, you're a star employee. You can work on any branch as long as you state your name." Boss replied.

"I doubt that they'd know me in a game..." I quietly replied.

Myll lightly tugs my sleeves. "Please don't say that this world is a game."

I get the gist why, nobody wants their world to be called a game after all. If someone in real life said my world was a game I'd have an existential crisis.

On the other hand, Boss sounds and seems kinda desperate. This place is probably undermanned, or there's nobody else that can do my job. And that job is being the counter barista. Even uncle himself has a hard time preparing drinks while conversing with people in the counter, especially if he is prepping coffee while doing so.

"Please Rei, today is going to be a really a busy day."

I sighed. "I'll work with a few conditions."

"What would those conditions be?" 

He asked and looked delighted that he pulled me in. He knows he can meet any condition I can throw to him, I'm guaranteed to work. Still, if I'm gonna use time here I at least want some ease on my task later. 

I signalled him to lend an ear, he leaned closer.

"Bigger pay, freedom to use/serve anything, and Casual Adventuring Clothes for Myll."

Boss leaned back and thought about it for a solid minute. He looked at me in the eye surprised with my conditions. To him, it may sounded too good to be true. I asked for way heavier ones before after all.

"I accept your conditions."

He nods in agreement then smiled as he glanced at Myll.

"You're a lucky one little lady."

"Me..?" Myll asked.

"Rei doesn't usually ask me for things this light and selfless." Boss cleaned up his small mess on the counter. "Rei, come to the back."

"Can I come?" Myll asked.

"Sorry little lady, employees only." Boss headed to the backrooms.

"Wait here Myll. Don't worry, I'll be back." I pat Myll's head for a short while and then followed Boss.

"What's an employee?" Myll asked the old lady on the nearest table.

"My, my~"

---

What I saw when I went at the back surprised me. The workplace, the appliances, the attire and even the feel is the same as the one in the real world. Even the slacking and seriousness. It looks like uncle has also told them that "results and outcome speaks louder than actions and behavior."

The only big and noticable change was the races of the employees. A slime girl, a bunny boy, an angel, lizardmen, elves, and humans. Their uniform is tailored to their race, like how everyone in the kitchen must wear hair net caps. Looking at their attire, the angel's clothes seems to be the most hassle to wear.

When we arrived at the changing room, I was given work clothes for the frontline work in my size. Looking at the clock and how close the busy hours is, I started changing without any thoughts.

"Illdyvia is an amazing place isn't it?" Boss took out and smoked with a fancy dark wooden looking pipe. "Everything feels so real."

"You smoke?"

My uncle smoking caught my interest more than Illdyvia itself. Sure this world is amazing and everything feels real, but I've never seem him smoke once in real life.

"Oh, this? It's a magic item that is like an actual smoking pipe and feels like one without all the downsides." Boss puffs a big cloud of smoke upward. "I wouldn't be really able to do this in real life though, too many downsides if all goes wrong."

"I see."

"Anyways, you need info on the beans? I have sheets of paper somewhere that are the notes of the other barista."

"No need, I'll know my way around."

"As I expected from you Rei."

After Boss' comment, I stepped out of the changing room and headed to the counter to see what I will be working with. I expected the average non-work tools, but when I looked inside the cabinets my mind was blown.

"Looks like you found the magic tools." Boss arrives with a slice of cake on a platter and puts it down in front of Myll.

"Thank you." Myll understood the gesture that it was for her but... "Uhm... What is this though?"

"Vanilla with the jam being strawberry. Do you have an allergy to this certain type?" Boss asked, concerned about Myll's allergies.

"Vanilla? Strawberry..? Jam...." Myll murmurs sounding confused and cautious about what's in front of her as it was a mysterious object

"It's cake, to be exact it's a slice of cake. It is a sweet and delicious baked bread." I explained what the mysterious object in front of her, while I prepared the tools I'd be using.

"Cake..?"

Myll still seems confused about the new thing in front of her. But when she knew and confirmed it was food, she took a bite and drowned in bliss. Looks like she had a sweet tooth.

"Watching young girls eat sweets makes me feel so young again." The old lady from earlier commented.

"Maybe if you eat some, you'll be young again Granny Tabatha." Myll attempts to offer some.

"No no, it's okay dearie. I've lived a fun seventeen thousand years and tasted my own share of sweet treats."

With only a couple minutes of leaving Myll by herself, she has become acquainted with the old lady and even got her name. I was surprised at first knowing that Myll is shy and was shy on our first meeting, but knowing that she becomes carefree after warming up made me realize the event was very possible.

"Are you a Lander little lady?" Boss asked Myll.

"Yewsh." Myll replies as she was stuffing cake in her mouth.

"No wonder you didn't know what a cake was." Boss lightly chuckled. "I immediately thought you were one of Rei's friends on pur world, seems I was wrong."

"Ish owhay." Myll replied with her mouth three-fourths full of cake.

Celia giggled from afar, it looked and felt like she was watching us while cleaning empty tables. Looking back at Myll, she seems to be deep in thought while staring at the cake.

When a few seconds of silence kicked in, Boss gave me a quick rundown of how the magic tools worked and where is where. It was all exactly the same on how I organized the ingredients and materials. The machines also runs exactly what the machines does in real life. 

The coffee brewers, milk frother, grinders, thermometers, timers and even an ice machine. They're all powered by mana which the counter apparently is for, a counter full of mana that just provides the machines the mana it needs. All tools and machines that the barista uses in a restaurant that I didn't expect to be using are here.

After the rundown of everything, Boss left me at the frontline to help on the back. I was also told to charge and only charge for the regular price of coffee, regardless on how I brew it and what I add. With the busy hours being minutes away, I moved by reflex and instinct and started to grind and brew my personal signature mix of coffee.

The smooth and calming smell of my signature mix started to linger in the air, blending in with the feel of the restaurant. When the busy hour came, so did customers. Most of them looked surprised, they're either probably regulars who never seen me or first timers.

"Is cake childish Rei..?" Myll suddenly asked a question.

"That really depends on the person." I answered. "To me, it's a bit childish alone."

"I... I see..."

Myll slowly eats her cake... again..? Wait is that a second slice? Did uncle manage to sneak in a second one while I wasn't looking? He tends to do this a lot with girls whom I know and bring to the restaurant.

"Excuse me, may I have a cup of coffee?"

A male lizard priest sat on the far end of the counter away from the door. As I prepare his coffee, I conversed and had a small talk with him. I adjusted his cup of coffee to his liking by reading his preferences through words, actions through our random short conversation and by directly asking how he'd like it.

He was first concerned on the "extra" stuff I was adding on the coffee, it might not fit with the amount of money he brought with him. 

"Regardless on what I do with the coffee, it's still a cup of coffee. Don't worry, it'll still cost the same price as a regular cup."

He let out a sigh of relief and got his cup of coffee. He was shocked on how great his coffee was and finished it while it was quite hot. His reaction and our conversation seemed to have interested the other customers to have a cup of coffee. Grandma Tabatha was the next.

"You seem to really know what you're doing dearie. Can I have a cup of my special coffee? I already heard from Boss that you serve everyone special coffee."

"I'll start pouring you a cup then." I nod respectfully.

"Nah." She raises her hand and waves away. "You don't need to be respectful."

"Sorry, it was all just reflex madam." I apologized.

"There it is again." She chuckles playfully.

"Sorry." I apologized again, this time playing along with a smile.

Through that short charade, I was able to make a coffee to fit her tastes.

"This might be the best cup of coffee I've ever tasted." Grandma Tabatha complimented. "You really are like what boss said. I take my next cup would be better like he also said?"

"Ah yes, that is somewhat true. The more I get to talk and know the one I'm serving, the more perfect their cup of coffee becomes." I answered.

"So that's why my coffee was so good! Another!" The priest from earlier asked for more coffee.

"Your next cup will be on me." I said while I make his second cup of coffee.

"Really!? You're the best and my favorite now." The priest looked very happy, and when he got his second cup of coffee he was amazed. "This taste already better than the previous one!"

His loud comments gave me more work. It may look and seem like a hassle and a burden to others, but to me it's a blessing. As a barista, serving the best cup of coffee and the consumer showing how much they love and take interest on it is the best thing we could get.

As time passed, I felt like I've served over a hundred cups already. Looking at the wall clock, busy hours isn't even half way done yet. Without time to relax, the next customer sat on the counter.

It was a young female human that brought along her female child. She ordered coffee and juice for her child. I overheard her other order, and it sounded like they'll be having a meal to recharge and relax. Taking a better look at both of them, they seem to be both working. Her child also seems like she is pushing herself.

I went out of my way, changed her child's drink to a mango slushie, and told them it's on me as I paid for their drinks.

"Mom! The drink mister elf gave us is delicious!"

I overheard her child's joy while I was serving another customer. When other customers saw the slushie, they started ordering it. Grandma Tabatha also commented on the way I work.

"Not only that you make great coffee, you seem to be great with other drinks too. You don't even look like you're breaking a sweat. You're such a kind and hardworking person Rei dearie."

"Thank you, it means so much to me coming from an elder like you."

---

I stretched out wide and took deep breaths. Busy hours finally passed. When I looked the wall clock, it has already passed 3 hours ago. I could've sworn that the swarm of customers only stopped a couple of minutes ago. Is it just me...?

"Good work Rei dear." Grandma Tabatha is still around after hours of being here.

"Thank you."

I take a look around and the tables looks like they also ordered slushies and coffee. My range on serving from the counter seemed to have got far.

"Rei, you're a monster." Celia says as she sits down on a counter chair. "You kept pulling in more customers because of you coffee and slushie. No wonder The Landing Spot is such a well known restaurant in our world."

I laugh at the fact that I've been called a monster. "I'm not the only monster who works on the main branch. You've seen Bismund the other day, he's also one of the monsters."

"It's hard to believe he is one though, he looks so nice." Celia commented.

"Oh~ The king of the meat Bismund. It's nice to hear you two are friends with another legend dearies." Grandma Tabatha sounds like she knows about the other monster.

"Bismund is really one of the monsters too?" Celia sounds surprised and anxious.

"You make it sound that we are evil..."

"But you guys are, you pull in too much customers that everyone looks stressed at the back." Celia followed up.

Curious on what Celia said, I went and check on the back. They all look soulless, yet glad that the horde of orders stopped. I guess I really am a monster in that aspect.

"Is cake... Really a childish food..?"

Myll asks again. It looks like she hasn't stopped eating cake for the past several hours. I have no idea how many slices she has eaten, but it seems like she has a bottomless stomach to eat an amount of cake I lost count for.

"Is it really troubling you Myll?" I asked.

Myll nods in reply as she continues to eat cake. Worried about her well being and mentality, I made her a cup of coffee. A normal one at first to tease her back to reality.

"Ugh, so bitter..." Myll complained.

I laughed and took the cup back to finally make her special coffee. Myll pouted but she looks better already after the small tease. 

When she got her special coffee, she blew for a while on it to cool it down then took one long sip. After the long sip, she looks like she feels much much better.

"I feel Rei's warmth, this is really comfortable." Myll says as she takes her time and enjoys her coffee.

Celia looks jealous, so I decided to make her a cup of coffee too. When she took a sip, she looks very displeased. I had a quick mental panic attack that I might've done something wrong while preparing Celia's special coffee until...

"The coffee... Is perfect... Yet I don't feel Rei..."

She's trying to find me in the coffee I made. Sure I made it with a lot of thought and accuracy to the likes of a person, but the feeling of the coffee depends on the person.

"It only felt like a journey to find myself." Celia whined. "I don't get it."

"You shouldn't really think about it too much." I try to cheer up Celia.

"But-!"

"No matter what I do and add to the coffee, it's still just a cup of coffee in the end." 

I cut Celia off her words before she starts making a loud ruckus over something trivial. When she noticed her mistake and desperation, she calmed herself down, closed her eyes, and took a sip again. When she did, she felt pleased.

"Ah... There's Rei." Celia said as she breath a sigh of relief.

"I wonder what would be the taste of your coffee dearie." Grandma Tabatha thinks out loud. "I'm sure we could never imagine what coffee you make for yourself."

"Uh... Yes. Nobody would probably ever know what the taste of my coffee would be like."

I lightly laughed, avoiding the topic. It would be quite depressing if they found out that the special coffee of the one that makes special coffee for everyone...

Has no taste at all.

---

I love writing this chapter, it reminded me of what I used to do.

0