Ch 4 – The Taste of Coffee (Myll’s PoV)
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Rei and I stepped out of the tree, the world I knew a lot about but never knew anything about took my breath away. There were places and those structures thingies everywhere, even slices of wood held by ropes. Some of the wooden places looks like roads and paths, I didn't expect that the roofs can be a path too.

"Are we in Illdyvia Rei?!"

I suddenly ask with my excitement, but then I quickly hide my face after noticing that I'm being too happy about something I should already know. Rei even laughed at the question...

"Yeah, we are finally here. To be exact we are at Floracliff." He continued the conversation like it was normal.

"This is your starting point right?"

"Yes, it is."

"This place looks... Like...."

Unable for me to find any words, Rei spoke up his own.

"It's lovely isn't it?"

"Yes... What's lovely...? Is it like love?"

"Technically, you can feel the love and passion when they made the place."

"Technically..?" Even with Rei's explanation, another word that I do not know of has introduced itself.

"Oh, it's like saying how it's done, was done or how it works."

"I'll keep that noted."

"You don't even have notes though..." Rei looked like he sighed.

"I have my brain."

Birds flew by and I suddenly noticed how high we were. It was scary, but it was also lovely. Being able to see more things, I started pointing on random places and asked what those places are. Some places have familiar items, but I don't really know what they really do. If I was able to touch and interacted on more things on the other world, I should've known more things.

I can't worry about it now, I'll just trust Rei. He looks like he knows everything already. I'm scared that he might leave me though... So I must look for a time to prove my worth. I'm already a failure as his tutorial assistant, but I can look forward to when I'm successful to Rei. Though when we reached a path called the bridge, I felt more of a failure and a burden.

"Why is the path moving?! This looks dangerous!" I leapt back to the wood floor that doesn't move.

"It's only dangerous if it's shaking a lot."

"It feels like it's shaking a lot!"

Rei just stood there on the moving bridge while he looks like he is thinking about something. Is he thinking about a way for me to use the bridge? I hope he doesn't, I don't want to die now. I don't wanna die by falling.

"Let's take another path then. That isn't a bridge of course."

"That's a relief to hear."

Rei came back and started to look around where we are.

"There's stairs this way. This way should be okay."

"Do you think that I would think it's dangerous?" I asked.

"Would I be suggesting it if it was dangerous?"

I looked at the stairs that Rei mentioned. It looks like the wood floor that goes up bit by bit back at the tutorial plane. I went up and down those wooden floor a lot when I was there, this should be safe.

We walked down the stairs, and I pointed at more places. My excitement and happiness returned, and it refuses to leave. So I pointed, pointed, pointed and asked. Some back high above from where we were, and some are sticks sticking out of the ground or stabbed on the wood and trees. 

When some delicious smell caught my attention, I pointed and asked what the source is called. Rei suddenly stopped walking, stared seriously at the place, and then approached it. He looked through the window, then went in through the door.

He said another word I don't know of, but it seems like he is calling out someone. That word must be a name. Celia, I wonder who that someone is. But I still wonder what the place is.

"Rei! Rei! What's this place?"

I chase after Rei and entered the place. When I stepped in, I felt warm and comfortable. The delicious smell suddenly felt like it was a part of the world and the wind. Just what really is this place?

"You shouldn't shout in these places Myll." 

Rei scolded me, I kind of understood why. We are not the only people here, there are also others around doing their own stuff and having their own talks.

Rei continues his conversation with what it seems to be a half-demon half-human. A young girl who seems to be the same race is staring at me. She has focused serious eyes. Rei suddenly grabbed my hand and the young girl looked restless. Is she wary about me?

We arrived at a long table that looks to be connected to the walls and the floor. There's also a line of chairs to go along with the long table. Rei told me to sit on any of the chairs, so I chose the one nearest to me and Rei sat next to me.

As Rei continued his conversation with the half-demon half-human person behind the long table, my eyes darted back to the young half-demon half-human girl. She is paying very close attention to me and Rei... What does she want?

"I doubt that they'd know me in a game..."

When Rei said those words, I immediately remembered something very important I forgot to tell him before we got here. My lack of knowing when and what to say to him made me unable to tell him, but I hope I would be able to tell him everything that is important.

I lightly tug Rei's sleeves, when I got his attention I told him one of the must to remember and abide about Illdyvia.

"Please don't say that this world is a game."

Rei nodded as a response, he looks like understood what I told him. He went back to his conversation, I tried to pay attention to it so I could pay less attention to the girl that has been staring at me.

"You're a lucky one little lady." The man behind the counter told me.

"Me..?"

I was surprised when he started to talk to me, I didn't expect it at all. And... what is lucky?

"Rei doesn't usually ask me for things this light and selfless."

Rei doesn't? He seems so nice though, he even brought me along. Are there more things I don't know about Rei..?

I want to know.

I really really want to know.

"Rei, come to the back." The man said.

"Can I come?" I asked, it would be rude to come along if you weren't invited.

"Sorry little lady, employees only." The man walked away.

I was quite sad that I cannot come along, but I was also confused. What is employee? What is lucky? There's too many things I don't know. Am I supposed to know all of these, or am I just really that bad of a tutorial assistant?

"Wait here Myll." Rei suddenly pat the top of my head, it calmed me down. "Don't worry, I'll be back."

When Rei moved his hand away, it felt a little sad. But I was relieved to hear that he will be back. I believe in him. When he went away, I suddenly remembered.

"What's an employee?" I asked an old lady near me without realizing.

"My my~" The old lady smiled, and a bit later she took a sip from her small cup. "Come here dearie, I'll enlighten you."

---

I sat with the old lady, and she seems happy that I did. I was able to read what her race is, just like the other two Rei seemed to have interacted with. She is a Demigod.

"I'm thrilled and delighted that you sat down with me dearie." The lady smiled. "Would you like a cup of tea?"

I stared at her confused at her words. Thrilled, delighted, tea. I hear and learn of more and more words that I don't know of. I feel like my value is going down.

"Ah, excuse my manners. My name is Tabatha, everyone calls me granny, grandma, or Tabbie. At least those who talks to me. What is your name dearie?"

"Myll, my name is Myll." I nod a little bow, a sign of respect that I know of.

"So, how many words haven't you understand?" Tabatha asked.

"Lucky, Employee, Thrilled, Delighted and Tea."

After I answered, she looked concerned. I knew that there is something wrong with me, and she seemed to have noticed. I hope she tells me.

"You're a Tutorial Assistant aren't you?" She quietly whispered.

I don't know why she suddenly whispered, but I nodded as a response.

"That seems to be your problem." She takes a sip of her drink before continuing. "Don't say that you're a Tutorial Assistant to anyone else alright?"

"Why?" I asked.

"There are people who doesn't really approve of them, especially those who manages the players."

"What should I tell them then?"

"Tell them that you're a player."

"But I'm not though."

Tabatha took a sip of her drink again before replying. "Then tell them you're a lander."

"I see." 

That sounds more true than the words. 'I am a lander.' I did come from this world after all, not the player's world.

"Would you like to learn the words then?" Tabatha asked.

"Yes, please." I nodded with excitement.

"I can't believe someone clueless and childish is with Rei." The girl who Rei seemed to know quietly complained when she passed by.

"What is childish?" I asked Tabatha.

"Oh my, seems you have also heard it." Tabatha pours herself another cup of her drink. "It basically means you act like a child dearie."

I act like a child?

"You may have to experience life a bit more to get out of that stage."

"Experience?"

"Just live to see and hear many more things. You'll grow and learn as a person."

"I see."

Tabatha taught me more and more, including the words earlier. She talked about what she wanted to talk about, and I asked what I am interested about or what I can't understand. When I asked and had been formal about it, she told me that formalities wasn't needed. I was also told to call her Granny Tabatha since I can't decide.

She sounded and is an adventurer, she retired a couple of years ago. She is also 17331 years old, but in my eyes she looks quite young for an old person. Her husband was a mortal human and died at least 12000 years ago. Her race is actually a dragon, but she was blessed by a human priest to have a human body.

She became a Demigod when she held her ground against a god, she surpassed her own limits and stole a quarter of the god's power. She wasn't alone at that journey, she had a few friends with her. They are all also not residents of Illdyvia but a world beyond. I wanted to ask more about her journey, but Rei is back. Tabatha said it was okay, and thanked me for spending time with her.

When I got back to the long table that is apparently called a counter, the man called Boss gave me a plate of something I haven't seen before. 

"Thank you."

I accepted it but, is this food?

"Uhm..." I gathered my courage to ask. "What is this though?"

"Vanilla with the jam being strawberry. Do you have an allergy to this certain type?" He ask.

"Vanilla? Strawberry..? Jam....?" I quietly wondered out loud.

"It's cake, to be exact it's a slice of cake. It is a sweet and delicious baked bread." 

Rei told me what the item in front of me was. It's a bread food, so it is food. Boss gave me food to eat, does this mean anything though?

As I think about it, I took a bite of the cake. It was delicious and it made my mouth water for more.

"Watching young girls eat sweets makes me feel so young again." Tabatha commented.

"Maybe if you eat some, you'll be young again Granny Tabatha."

If watching people eat cake can make people young, maybe I could share cake with her to make her be young again.

"No no, it's okay dearie. I've lived a fun seventeen thousand years and tasted my own share of sweet treats."

It was worth a try to share...

"Are you a lander little lady?" 

Surprised about it, I was asked a question by Boss. I said that I am just because I was told to say that I am. The girl from earlier started to silently laugh about it. Is this also childish?

Rei shouldn't be with a clueless and childish person like me right? I'll just slow him down... But since I am here and he brought me along, I shouldn't be childish. I am not childish...

I am really not childish?

. . .

Is eating cake childish?

. . .

"Is cake childish Rei...?" My thoughts accidentally slipped out.

"That really depends on the person. To me, it's a bit childish."

"I... I see..."

So it is childish... But I can't stop...

It's just...

So good...

. . .

"Is cake... Really a childish food..?" I desperately thought out loud.

"Is it really troubling you Myll?" Rei asked.

Suddenly embarrassed that I let my thoughts slip out again, I just replied with a nod. After that, Rei went back to work. That's what I thought though, he apparently gave me a cup of coffee. Without thinking about it, I drank it.

"Ugh, so bitter..."

Rei laughed and took the cup back. His action made me a bit mad that he teased me with food. When he gave me a the coffee back, the smell felt amazing and calming, and Just a sip from it made me feel better. It felt like Rei was patting me in the back that saying that everything is alright. It felt like he's taking care of me. It's a very familiar warm feeling... Rei's warmth.

Tabatha seems that she would like to ask what my coffee feels like, before she asked I answered. "I feel Rei's warmth, this is really comfortable."

The girl who thinks I am childish also got a cup of coffee, her comments about it got my interest. It seems that she likes Rei, but it felt like she's depends on Rei too much. She's restless thay she couldn't feel the same thing I feel with my coffee, but Rei managed to calm her down with one short reply.

"No matter what I do and add to coffee, it's still just a cup of coffee in the end."

She seemed to have deeply think about what Rei said and took another sip of her coffee.

"Ah... There's Rei." She sounded relief.

"I wonder what the taste of your coffee would be dearie."

Tabatha wondered about something that I also would like to know. I'm sure it'll taste way better in a way that we all don't know. 

"I'm sure we could never imagine what coffee you make for yourself."

"Uh... Yes. Nobody would probably ever know what my coffee would be like." Rei lightly laughs.

One can only imagine what Rei's personal coffee is like, and I think it would be the greatest one out there. But even if I think that it is, something deep inside me say that it isn't that great.

---

When the restaurant called The Landing Spot finally closed, Rei made cold drinks for everyone. They relaxed and started talking to each other about how busy the day was, the special orders and about Rei.

The conversations about Rei got my interest but I was stopped by Boss.

"Can you come with me for an hour or two?"

I looked at Rei by the counter and he seems busy cleaning the table and some empty cups. Even with all that work, he still had the time to glance and see where am I and what I am doing.

"Boss is going to help you get clothes."  Rei yelled while drying a glass with a very white cloth.

"Would you like to wait for Rei?" Boss asked.

"Can I?" 

I was filled with joy that I could wait for Rei. Yet within those joy, I feel guilt. If I waited for Rei, he would have to buy with me too. If I just go, I should be done by the time he is done cleaning.

"Actually... Okay, I can come with."

The Boss looks at me worried and asked. "Are you sure?"

I nod as response, then he leaded the way.

"Is there any nearby place that has clothes? I would like to be back soon so I won't trouble Rei." I asked and explained.

"There's really no need to worry about Rei. He would never see anyone he cares about troublesome."

"Rei cares about me?"

"He is helping you is he not? Rei only does that if he cares."

"What if doesn't?"

"That's a sensitive subject Myll. If you want to know more about it, you have to ask his older sister."

"Rei has an older sister?"

"He also has a younger one."

"I see." Knowing that Rei has siblings made me curious about Rei even more. I didn't know anything and I should at least know a bit, knowing nothing makes me frustrated. "Is there anything more I should know?"

"Rei might throw his life for yours."

"Huh?" Surprised on what I heard, I suddenly stopped to wonder. "Why would Rei do that?"

Boss noticed that I stopped, he stood there waiting for me while he answered my curious question. "To be honest, nobody knows. Maybe he is just values life that much. He is even somewhat calm about it, until he can't be."

When I started to move and catch up, Boss added more to his words earlier. "He almost died three times now."

"Why would you tell me something this personal?" I ask.

"So you can remember that you shouldn't put yourself in danger. Since he went out of his way to ask me to help you buy clothes, you are important to him. He cares about you."

Knowing that Rei really cares about me from the way he is described makes me feel at ease. Although knowing that he might throw his life for me balances the ease out. I am unsure how to feel about what Rei will be capable to do and will do for someone else.

---

0