Chapter 11: Delicacy
236 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was the dawn of a new day, the sun just beginning to peak over the horizon.

 

18 swayed from left to right in a daze as she stumbled through the morning forest, her cloaked figure lonely and desolate.

 

From every step taken, there was a sense of heavy exhaustion as if the next step would be her last before falling to the ground but step after arduous step, she continued.

 

Holding her arm to her mouth, 18 let out several dry coughs. A cold shiver ran through her body like a wave causing her legs to shake unsteadily. Quickly, she looked around with half closed eyes before limping to a nearby tree.

 

Leaning against the tree, her frail figure slowly slid down against it's trunk until she was seated upon it's roots.

 

"Ugh.." 18 let out a low groan.

 

"Why do I feel so weak? What the hell is wrong with me?" 18 shook her head in attempt to stay awake, currently her mind was feeling hazy.

 

Her entire body was shaking incessantly causing her much distress, even her wounds had begun to open up again.

 

Taking several deep breaths, she muttered. "Got to stay awake.. got to keep moving."

 

"But why do I have to keep moving?" 18's weakening body was not the only problem plaguing her, her mind was also effected.

 

She felt a fog covering her mind making it difficult for her to remember things or make decisions properly, but she still had this urgent desire to run, to escape.

 

She just didn't know why she had to keep moving other than it was better than staying put which was her current predicament and that was causing alarm bells to ring in her mind.

 

18 tried to get up but her legs were not listening and her arms felt especially heavy. It was so hard move now, like she was swimming in a pit of tar.

 

"Shit.." She said under her tired breath.

 

At the moment, 18 was feeling conflicted. Currently, she was feeling so comfortable. Her mind was urging her to move but her body was telling her the opposite.

 

The rough roots below that were digging into her backside didn't trouble her at all, in fact they felt like the cushioned bedding of a nobles bed.

 

Her eyelids were getting heavier as she seemed to her a soft voice whispering in her mind.

 

"Sleep.."

 

"Sleep..."

 

"Sleep is good.."

 

"Dreams are good.."

 

Just as 18 was about to nod off, loud squeaks echoed above.

 

Her eyes slowly opening again, 18 tilted her head up towards the noise.

 

Above were a couple of squirrels sitting on a branch. One of them was pointing towards her and squeaking in an angry manner to its companion.

 

"Squirrel?" 18 muttered in confusion.

 

Hearing her voice, the angry squirrel dove into a nearby hole and came out again carrying an acorn.

 

18 gave a tired frown at the squirrels strange actions.

 

Just as she was wondering whether the squirrel was just grabbing a snack, it stood up on it's hind legs, bent backwards and thrust it's chest and arms forward flinging the acorn towards her.

 

18 felt a stinging pain as the acorn smacked right into her forehead.

 

"Did.. did that squirrel just..?" Her eyes opened wide in disbelief as an incredulous feeling washed over her.

 

She couldn't believe that little rat just assaulted her with an acorn, that is until the second acorn hit her right dab on the bridge of her nose.

 

"You little shit!" A malefic glint shone in her eyes.

 

18 wanted nothing but to jump up and tear that squirrel a new sack for its nuts but right now she was feeling especially lethargic. She could barely raise her hand to swat away the acorns let alone stand and jump.

 

"Stop.. it you little... bastard!" 18 hissed angrily with deep breaths but the squirrel and it's little buddy paid no mind and continued throwing acorns her way.

 

It seemed like the little critters would use their entire winter savings at the current rate but the question on 18's mind was what did she do to piss the tree rats off?

 

As she was absolutely fuming, the squirrels suddenly stopped. They both squeaked in a low terrified manner before diving into the tree hole.

 

18 looked at the retreating squirrels in confusion.

 

"What's.. got into.. them? They.. seemed.. afraid." Shaking her head, 18 thought. "It's good the little rats have run off, now I can sleep in peace.. "

 

Closing her eyes, she let out a content sigh.

 

"Well well, what do we have here?" A husky feminine voice grated in her ears like that of metal on metal.

 

"Having a nap in the middle of the forest are we? Aren't you afraid of someone coming along and.. slitting your throat?" The voice was strangely magnetic, hypnotic even.

 

18's eyes opened wide as she saw a figure walking towards her.

 

Clad in obsidian plate armor darker than the night was a tall woman, towering at 7 feet.

 

Peerlessly beautiful features with white horns sprouting from her head, violet snake eyes and long red hair that swayed in the morning breeze.

 

Behind the woman was an assortment of skeletons, some who had blood painting them and others with broken bones, there was also one particular eye catching one with daggers in it's eyes.

 

Memories came back to her as she felt her mind clearing of the fog that plagued it, a horrified look appeared in her eyes as she whispered. "Oh no.."

 

The demonic woman sneered and walked towards her with thundering steps.

 

18 attempted to move, her mind screaming at her body but it didn't listen as it was still so weak that she could barely lift an arm.

 

The demon gripped 18's cloak and effortlessly lifted her off the ground.

 

"Let's have a little peek shall we? You kept your face hidden all the while escaping, quite a feat I must say but I'm curious." The demon remarked while lifting 18 closer.

 

Pulling away 18's cloak, a face was revealed. That of a young woman, tender in appearance and no more than 20.

 

18 had yellow eyes which glared defiantly at the demon, her face was oval with an upturned nose with small freckles. Her hair was cut shoulder length and a subtle grey.

 

What stood out were the large wolf ears which were pointing downward in anger.

 

The demon gave an expression of surprise as she muttered. "Wolf-kin?"

 

18 looked away in shame but didn't answer.

 

The demon's eyes narrowed as she said. "No, you're a half breed. No chance of transformation.."

 

"Hurry and kill me demon!" 18 barked with anger and helplessness in her voice.

 

The demon chuckled with a wide smile. "Don't be in such a rush little wolf, I'm sure you have many things you can tell us before that and even then.."

 

The demon licked her supple red lips, her sharp pointy teeth showing themselves proudly.

 

Her face neared 18's, the demon's long tongue slithered out from her mouth like a snake and licked 18's neck all the way to her cheek causing her to feel humiliation and fear.

 

"And even then you look so tasty." The demon's eyes sparkled as saliva dripped down her pointy chin.

 

"I've been eating nothing but plain boring forest animals for days now and its been so long since I had a delicacy as fine as you..."

 

18 shivered as she grit her teeth, intense disgust showing in her eyes. "I shouldn't have expected anything less from a demon."

 

Mirth showed in the demon's eyes as she chuckled. "Don't judge me little wolf. Who asked you to be so tasty?"

 

18 snorted in disgust but the demon didn't seem to care. She began to describe how her last meal tasted, the cons of deer and bear meat and then went into tangent about demon meat.

 

The demon gagged a little as she explained. "Other demons can taste so rubbery with so much gristle and muscle and sometimes the meat is tainted with all the poisons and toxins they naturally create giving them a bitter taste, it's disgusting."

 

"Then there's the wandering beasts of the demon lands but their meat is so bland and stale, even if stewed for several hours in herbs and human stock doesn't change it. Must be something to do with the miasma." The demon shook her head despondently but then her eyes lit up.

 

"But you other races, especially the females are so tender and soft. The meat is just dripping with juices when cooked with some hellfire. Whether grilled over the fire slowly or boiled in some water, it always results in a decadent taste that leaves ones mouth watering." The demon licked her lips again, wiping the drool from her chin.

 

"Such fine dining was never out of reach for me before but I've fallen upon hard times.. " The demon sighed, a reminiscent light shining in her eyes.

 

"I used to dine on the greatest of dishes every day. Heh, my sisters would often say I was almost as bad as the demons of gluttony." She smiled.

 

18 groaned with dull eyes. "Can we get this over with?"

 

The demon nodded. "You're right, sorry for talking your ear off. It's just been so long since I've some girl to girl talk, you know what I mean right?"

 

18 merely rolled her eyes and replied with silence.

 

The demon took some rope from the pouch on her waist and tied them around 18's hands and legs.

 

"Marion, you can come out now." The demon said.

 

18 looked around in confusion before noticing a faint white glow coming off her body.

 

To her absolute terror, she saw an almost see through figure come out from her body.

 

The pale figure transformed into a translucent woman whose eyes danced playfully while watching her expression.

 

"Ah!" 18 let out a loud shriek before fainting, her eyes rolled back to their whites.

 

Charlotte tossed the little wolf to nearby skeletons while saying. "Be careful not to bruise the meat, let's go back to the cave, Nero's waiting."

 

The dagger eyed skeleton nodded thoughtfully while handing carefully handing the wolf girl to it's subordinates.

 

Meanwhile, Marion was staring daggers at Charlotte with her hands on her hips.

 

"Something wrong?" Charlotte asked curiously.

 

Marion pointed to herself while mouthing the words, 'Girl to girl talk'

 

"What? You can't exactly talk-" Charlotte felt Marion enter her body, the cold feeling of a haunting already assailing her.

 

"Alright! Alright I get it! We'll have a little chat later." Charlotte conceded helplessly.

 

Marion appeared once again with a large smirk on her face.

 

Charlotte sighed and shook her head before following the skeletons back to the cave with Marion floating by her side.

10