6- A Subtle Gathering y
257 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Duncan rested through the night, oblivious to the fellow survivors in his base.

Of course they didn't sit idle. They had gathered in a sort of council as they discussed their overseer's decision-making. 

They agreed that it was smart for them to hide, however was it truly worth it to sacrifice four people to allow the rest of them to live? Then there was the fact that their overseer decided to engage in combat. When they were chosen to be in this Den, they came in blind on what to expect. Each of them had managed a Den, and each of them failed. Thus they were cursed to be here and risk their lives. To have them be robbed of their will due to the [Order] Command. There was even a manual override where the Overseer could control them.

The survivors of the first wave. The first trial. Normally it was a milestone for the Overseer to overcome and allow for them to consolidate their defenses or offensive power. To make the Den a better place and unlock new challenges. 

One example would be that the survivors would be pinned down in a collapsed tunnel, the exit blocked by a hive of insects. Upon clearing the hive it would give them a ton of points, new research materials, and a whole new world for them to expand upon. 

 

"For the four survivors that have passed away. We shall remember you. You may have been dragged into the game for failure of protecting your Den but for now we shall remember your passing. " Osvall knocked his chest thrice. Waila did the same. 

"Ken Akimoto, Riktor Quita, Anders Roanis, and Whiskers. Rest in the afterlife of your choice." Nora prayed. The council of people sat in silence as the sticks they found to use as incense burned. 

Thus after a moment the true purpose of the meeting started.

"As far as First Trials go, A floating city of elite exterminators." Rorik sighed. 

"It was already difficult, now its just impossible... the only reason why we even survived this was because of Eremus over there." Garrick commented.

"Lets not get our hopes down yet. If they really are as elite as we think they are then the Overseer should have gotten a colossal amount of points to spend. It is also our right to recommend a course of action if we think the Overseer will endanger us." Nora piped up.

"As we have agreed before, it was the correct decision for us to hide out when we didn't know what powers the enemy has, but to lose four people in the first trial... " Nast growls.

"Admitably, for first trials our Overseer did pretty well. They tend to decimate the den when you first encounter them. We surely would have had our numbers reduced thrice more if not for the realization that Eremus could completely control fire." Waila pointed out this fact leaving everyone in silence.

"So we've overcome the first trial." Seth sighed. "What did we gain from it. All I see is four missing people, and a base that partially destroyed." 

"As we know from running our own Dens. Killing things makes us stronger and unlocks more paths for us. Therefore in this case, Eremus got power-leveled for actually defeating the Reaper. I'm sure Riktor would also have gotten some things for partaking in the fight and Ustasimas also has some levels but the main gain is the cloak and scythe that Reaper dropped. In addition we can go explore the ruins of that accursed symbol of death's home since it dropped into the forest outside." Astrid announced to the group. 

"And the people that the floating cities dropped themselves?" Nast spat. 

"Probably dead, if two of the four hunters they released came our way then most likely there wasn't enough of them left. " Garrick lamented.

Silence overtook everyone once more before Nora spoke up to the group. "Lets not get to hasty with that decision. They called the round early because The Reaper got killed. There has to be a one or two out there that we can probably save." 

"Speaking of going out, what was the result of that expedition Charles" Osvall asked.

"We discovered the town of Brunswick. Completely abandoned, all electronics are fried. and most of the food is spoiled. We can salvage the place for parts and make a temporary base there. If needbe we can even set it up as a secondary bunker since we can repurpose the sewer system." 

"Why would we want to live in the sewers?" Garrick asked.

"Why not, it can mask our scent, extensive tunnels that go all around town, in addition to we can use the sewage as fertilizer for growing crops. There is many ways we can use this town. If we strive to make use of it that is. We can let the Den Master know that we can utilize it as a secondary base in the events that this one goes down. " Charlotte explained.

The group looked at each other as they digested the information shared today. What they would say to the Den Master as soon as he checked in on them again. The silence was interrupted by a voice.

"The plan of action for tomorrow then. We get the base back in order as best we can, we go out to the ruins and search for valuables. We search for survivors. We also check out the Brunswick town." Astrid announced.

The group made a variety of noises to show acknowledgement of the course of action and they dispersed. Each of them wondering what the Overseer would do with the points recently acquired. 

Meanwhile in another place, in another time. Duncan stirred in his sleep. 


Obligatory its been forever and I meant to post a while ago. 

Welp, welcome to the AN aka the Author's Notes.

Its me, Sederance back at it again with an update. I realized how much I have to do to prepare for a new university so I had to push this on the wayside. This is me typing away during the downtime of work so that I can get this to you. Thankfully I work by myself else I'd be reprimanded.  So till another time!

-Sederance

5