Chapter 3: The First Night Like This
61 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I finally made it back home. The first thing I did was go to my own room and get started on the homework I was given. Not too much later, there's a knock on my door.

"Who is it?" I asked.

"It's me." answered the girl on the other side of the door.

"What do you need?" I responded.

"Do you need any help with your homework?" asked Mika.

"I-I got it." I replied.

"Okay." responded Mika.

When was time for dinner, my parents start telling stories of when I was a little kid. It was a little embarrassing, since Mika was with us. She just laughed in response to those stories. Something about it seemed so... cute. I then shook my head.

"Is something the matter?" asked Mika.

"No, I'm fine." I said, "Really."

"Are you sure?" asked Mika.

The conversation soon changed to the day I met Mika. The day I met her according to them at least. Apparently, I met her a few years before the day she apparently moved in with us. We got along pretty well and then when she lost her parents, we offered to give her a place to stay. My parents went on about how I wanted a sibling and this was the closest I was going to get to that.

Their tales were interesting. But none of them were true. I knew that. However, at the time, I felt... uneasy. Something didn't feel right at all.

"I'm done." I said. 

"Should I get the bath ready?" asked Mika.

"I take showers." I responded.

"Yeah, I know." replied Mika.

I cleaned up after myself before leaving.

 

***

Eventually, it was for time for bed. I would go to sleep and when I woke up the next day, I would out this was all a dream... or something. R-right? Right? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggghhhhhttt??? Hoping none of it was real, I climbed into bed and closed my eyes. I needed to sleep. I had to sleep. My eyes were suddenly wide open.

Great. I couldn't sleep. Crap. I really did get trapped in a nightmare, didn't I? But... if I actually have a friend now, it's not so bad, is it? Well, that should be a good thing, but something really feels off. Then there's a knock on the door.

"Oscar? You awake?" asked Mika.

"Y-yeah, I'm awake." I responded.

"Can I come in?" asked Mika.

"S-sure." I answered.

She opened the door and walked over to my bed, sitting herself down.

"What?" I said.

"I couldn't sleep." replied Mika.

"Oh, I'm sorry." I responded.

"Wanna sleep together?" she asked.

"Hey, hey, hey. We're still high school students." I replied.

"I know. I'm kidding. But does that mean you wouldn't mind when we're older?"

"That's not what I meant!"

"So you've forgotten everything, huh?"

"That's what it seems like."

Actually, I didn't. I just woke up in an alternate universe where you exist or something.

"Could you tell me about when we met?" I asked.

"I found you at a park playing a video game and I started telling you to beat the boss you were fighting." answered Mika, "I remember how you got mad because I was telling you what to do. It was adorable."

I did remember bringing my video games to the park but I couldn't say I remembered any of this happening...

"And then I'd come and see you every time you went to the park." continued Mika, "Before I knew it, I ended up getting invited to your birthday parties and you to mine."

Mika's expression changed. I could tell she was sad.

"Eventually, I lost my parents in an accident." said Mika, "None of my relatives wanted to take me in because... they never liked my mother. So I don't really know my grandparents, cousins, aunts or uncles. When your parents found out I had nowhere to go, they took me in."

"I see." I replied.

I wasn't really sure what I should say to her. It seemed she trusted me enough to tell me stuff like this. But after all that, I was starting to feel like I did know her from somewhere, but I wasn't sure where.

"Mika?" I asked.

She didn't respond. She had fallen asleep, so I got up and took her to her room.

"Goodnight." I said.

2