Arc 1 Chapter 4: First Encounter
247 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I don't remember."

"Excuse me?" The man got more obnoxious and said that in an angry tone. "You expect me to believe that? Did you appear out of nowhere like some wizard, then gain amnesia all of a sudden?"

"No clue. I don't know my name or where I came from. I have lost my memory it appears." I feel as though somebody in their party has the ability to tell if I'm lying, but it looks like I only have to cover up my lies back to the point of being reincarnated into this strange new world. I can lie all I want about my circumstances beforehand.

As if to confirm my gamer's intuition, "He isn't lying. It seems he really did lose his memories. Sorry dude. My name is Penelope and I have the "Lie Detector" Fabrication."

"That so? Then I must also apologize. Name's Aaron, and I have the "Swordsman" Fabrication. I've seen a fair share of shifty characters in my day, and I am frankly shocked such a mysterious man would appear out of nowhere. Did you like, dye your hair and stick a plastic gem on your head?"

I ignored his last question. "Fabrication? Is that like a talent?"

"How perceptive. It is indeed like a talent, however its official name by the Adventurer's Industry is "Fabrication." It basically means a unique skill."

With his answer to my question, I have confirmed two things.

If what he says is true, then not only do other people on this planet not have any form of appraisal because "Racial Unique Skill" is under a different name, it also confirms they have no visual ability to tell their status at all. It seems this useful window is only visible to me. Does that mean that this world is only a video game to me? This should be interesting.

I ignored it for the time being, but I would also like to confirm the purpose of the Adventurer's Industry.

"Is the Adventurer's Industry some sort of guild where you can rank up and take requests?"

It seems my gamer's intuition was nothing but a lucky guess the first time.

"Not so. The heck kind of backwards memories do you have? The Adventurer's Industry is simply a terminal to examine your fabrication's limits and also to register to use your fabrication legally within the city's walls aside from self-defense. It serves as a cross country terminal information access point for adventurers but also a way to govern people's abilities conveniently for the bureau. It appears you have memories of the old Adventurer's Industry that was in my history textbook thousands of years ago. What is up with your head? Did you time travel?"

"Is "Time Travel" a possible Fabrication?" said one of the two remaining quiet party members. There was a guy and a girl there in the back, but the girl spoke up.

"The research done on the Monolith concluded long ago that the power of such fabrications is highly limited and will never exceed a highly trained warrior's abilities. If you did indeed time travel that means you either came from another timeline where fabrications weren't so mundane or you could just have your memories confused. I'd like to think it's the latter possibility."

Aaron makes a good point. "I don't see any reason why I could be able to Time Travel if I wasn't aware of such an ability."

"Maybe such a Time Travel Fabrication distorts your memory?" Said the girl in the back again.

I have some intuition of my own. "I don't think so."

"How do you know?"

"I have two fabrications and many skills."

Everybody in the car including the driver was shocked. Penelope noticed I was lying about my skills, but didn't seem to care as she probably wouldn't trust first timers either.

"Two?! How do you know that without having memories of having visited a Monolith site?!" Penelope shouted.

It seems something deeply ingrained in my personality is trying to restrain me from telling the truth. I have no reason to refuse the personality, as it could be dangerous to spread such information.

"I just feel like I know." What a cop-out answer!!

"What a cop-out answer!!" My brain is them right now.

"That means one of your Fabrications is able to tell your Fabrications to you. Why would such a Fabrication be necessary if historically humans have been limited to one Fabrication? Is it possible that you aren't human?"

"I have no clue to be honest. I have no reason to believe I am not a human based on my appearance. The gem on my head isn't fake, which makes me think something must be going on."

"Wait. It's not plastic?!" shouted Aaron.

"How does it embed into your skull?! It definitely looks real!" asked Clyde.

"Please look forward while you're driving." Penelope scolded Clyde.

Oh right... Insurance. Wait. Do Patrol Agents need to worry about such things? ...Probably not as much.

_♦__________________________________________________♦_

A few hours later, the questions devolved quite beautifully.

"It also seems your intuition isn't far off from how things work around here. Can you ask some more questions so we can read your state of mind properly?" said the last party member, seemingly uninterested in the anwer.

"Well, can I ask what the name of this world is?"

It seems I asked a weird question. People are confused.

"What is a world?" Aaron asks.

"Uh.... We are going to a city, right? The city should be part of a country, which is part of a continent of countries. The continents should when combined be given a name for all of them right?"

"We just call it our home, Stardust."

If they don't know about worlds, how can they know about stars? Oh, that's right, there were a lot of stars in the sky last night. It shouldn't be confusing, especially considering the possibility that they might believe in astrology.

But when I get back to the main point, how am I able to understand their language and talk to them? What kind of strange ability isn't in my list?

I recall. "That power does come built-in with the vessel, yes; however, you must not peek!"

SHOCK! If what I am guessing is correct, then...

"Appraise Bargain Bin Appraisal!" I say in my head.

A window pops up.

5