Arc 1 Chapter 13: The Test (1)
148 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Status Plate

Spoiler

Name: Sword

Race: Unknown                Level: 4 (66.85%)

Jobs / Titles:

  • Untested Adventurer

HP: 2,330 / 2,330            MP: 14,350 / 14,350 (+6)

 

Racial Unique Skills: Redescription, Bargain Bin Appraisal

Skills (2 / 1,000,000,000):

  • Flame Finger [MP25]

  • Black Lightning [MP1-500]

[collapse]

That dream sent shivers down my spine. What kind of cruel monster would do such a thing?! He laughed at the wholesale slaughter of his party, and played it off to his remaining teammate like it was no big deal. She likely only stayed in the party because she thought she was getting a significant enough reward. I seriously hope his soul burns for what he has done… that is just too sad. I hope she rests in peace.

Good god. Just my luck to get an awful memory right after clearing my good name. When I woke up, I wanted to end my life on the spot for what I saw. Tears were welling up in my eyes. Not for the slaughter of his friend, but the entertainment Caal received from her demise. There was gore and guts flying right above his face, and he did not even slightly feel bad for what he refused to do, even daring to snicker at her panicked dying expression... I am ashamed to share the same body. If she gets reincarnated here or something, I hope she can forgive me… Not even a little possible; who am I kidding?!

Once I took a step outside during the extended monologue, I never really paid any heed to the small details until just now. There are full-on street lights, traffic lights, factories (smoke stacks and all), people riding bikes and everything from buses to schools! Did somebody with such blueprints also get transmigrated to this world? Seems quite likely. The only weird thing is the odd lack of high-rises. It feels out of place.

The resemblances are uncanny. I see no reason why the designs would be identical other than the conclusion I have drawn that there definitely exists other reincarnated individuals. There is a slim possibility that the previous owner could have sold the secrets to the residents of this world. After all, I have no clue just how long the lifespan of this body or species is.

I was walking down the main road, following the map back to the Adventurer’s Industry when I took note of the building’s details as well. At first glance, it was a big majestic whirring steampunk building with gears rotating like clockwork, pistons coming and going from various holes in the wall. Swaying back and forth here and there are the massive loads of people entering and leaving the guest areas. Red fiery furnaces deep down the hallway with lumps of coal and minerals inserted by robotic arms, this is certainly a marvel of science.

I walk up to the previous receptionist I talked to before.

I began by stating, “Hello, I am Sword. I have come to take the test today.”

“This way please! Somebody please take over for the customers in line.” Spoke the receptionist.

While the receptionist lead me to the hall, I had some questions queued up to ask myself. I have a lot of “learned” experience from when I was reading cartoons, comics and some light novels too. The receptionist did not seem to be bothered by my curious expression, not even enough to glance in my general direction. It seems this receptionist was busy today and was guiding many people.

“By the way, what is your name?” I inquired.

“I didn’t tell you? My apologies. It’s Hansen. Feel free to call me Mr. Hansen.” Spoke Mr. Hansen.

“Well Mr. Hansen, may I ask what this whole “test” business is about? I have been slightly briefed of the details from the adventurers in my surroundings but I would prefer a full overview.” I said casually.

“What? You heard details about the test? That’s surprising considering you’re getting a specialized test.” Said Mr. Hansen, surprised that I knew about it.

“Why is that? What does "specialized" mean in this context?” I retorted.

Mr. Hansen continued, “Did you honestly assume you would get a standard test after the information we gathered on you? Creating red mist over the plateau range of death, using a miniscule amount of MP to completely overwhelm one of our top Adventurers, yeah you are getting a “cram test”, so to speak. Didn't you know that the positions of Adventurers are based on their reputation?”

Cram test? That means I will be advancing according to my ability. I’m glad they made an exception for me, but just how much are they expecting to be making such a gaping exception to the rules?

One I asked about that, he replied, “Of course, you aren’t the only person to receive this treatment. This is standard procedure for all adventurers who’ve received the attention of the bureau’s chief.”

“Will I be meeting the others who are taking my level of test?” I asked.

“Yes, there are currently 3 others who qualify to take your test. However, we’re bringing you to a general lobby which houses all of the participants of the test. You will be assigned a room once your name is called. The test will begin shortly when all participants of your class are present and at their test room.”

My curiosity has reached peak levels through his explanation alone. “You’ve told me that the test is harder, but what do you mean exactly by “cram test?” I can understand it being harder but I still have yet to know what it is.” I replied.

“The contents of the test in the specialized class is considered "top-secret" until the rules are explained, but the general test for new applicants consists of a basic physical marathon, obsticle course and other such minigames with the intent of not only testing their survival skills but also their stamina and longevity for use in long-term battle.” Said Mr. Hansen.

Longevity? Hmm. Could he mean endurance in long battles and surprise attacks?

“I see. I look forward to seeing what test awaits me.” I concluded.

“Thank goodness. You’re the only one.” Said Mr. Hansen, unexpectedly.

...What?


Minutes Later, Sword's Perspective

Once we advanced down the hall and navigated a maze of junctions and intersections, we finally arrived.

“We’re here. You will be called once preparations are completed.” Said Mr. Hansen as he left to greet other employees and members.

I look into the room. There certainly are a lot of people are gathered here, around 400. Since the Adventurer’s Industry is such a large-scale operation I presumed something like this would be the case. It seems to be a coincidence that I got entry to a test that happens but once a year. Perhaps this is what people would call “God’s Intervention” that I happened to sign up at the perfect time.

“Hey! New guy!” Spoke a mysterious youth.

A lot of people were spreading rumors already, spreading gossip and giving frightful glares at me, but I paid no attention to that and instead to the one man greeting me directly.

“Hello. Who are you?” I asked.

“I am a passionate swordsman looking to be a full-fledged adventurer! This is my dream! My name is John!”

“Is that so? What kind of swordsman are you?” I asked.

“Knight class. I have been honing my skills for 12 years now~!” Replied John merrily.

John had brown almost-red somewhat spiky hair as well as a cheery complexion. He appears to be donned in formal atire as well as a longsword and shield at both hips respectively. John is wearing a blue tunic as well as Adventurer's traditional plain grey pants.

“12 years huh? You’ve put a lot more effort into your training than I have then.” I replied.

“Is that so? I’d think otherwise from the “green-haired statue” that I’ve been hearing about.” He replied, not showing even the least bit of hesitation or shock on his face.

“It seems rumors about me have been spreading like wildfire.” Of course, I already knew that. I just reaffirmed it like this to express my vague shock at how fast it had spread.

He retorted, “Are you kidding? In this Adventurer’s Industry is the first place that gets a hold of all these juicy rumors. You’re the talk of the town! I would be shocked if you didn’t get one of those specialized tests!”

So he said enthusiastically. But...

“So you know about those tests too? Can you describe to me what they are like?”

“Gueling. I’ve heard of people who took the specialized test who have perished completely, or gone missing. When you are selected for the specialized test, your life is basically over unless you have supreme talent or withdraw from the test. Nobody is forcing you to take it. On the other hand, I also heard that the test changes to something completely new every year and is something completely decided by the higher ups! Apparently, the less participants in the specialized test there are, the harder it is so I'd watch out if I were you.” He finally said.

“That’s true. I think I’ll still take it, but thanks for the heads up. I'd rather fail knowing I've tried than regret not taking it later.”

“Are you not afraid of what might happen during that test?!” John asked shocked.

However, I retorted immediately, “Of course I’m nervous. The only thing I need to be worried about is if my current abilities suffice to specialize in the sort of abilities they are testing for.”

“Strength beats all. There are of course many variants of strength, but if you have strength, you should definitely look forward to the test. It’s your chance to quickly build your reputation (or effectively destroy it from the start). It's all about FIRST IMPRESSIONS!” John immediately replied.

First impressions, huh? I sincerely hope mine are not ruined already.

“Interesting proposal. I look forward to the test.” I concluded.

3