Arc 2 Chapter 23: Heroes (1)
59 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Year VI0, Quentin’s Perspective

Obviously, not all of the gathered heroes were of the same nationality. Taking that into account, there are more that came from our homeland Russia, but that was only to a small degree.

 

When we noticed this and the introductions were over, we all moved into our own little cliques to discuss our future.

 

Me and Marsha, we were joined by a few of the surrounding people.

 

“Hello there! I am Sasha.” Sasha was a beautiful stout lady. Defining characteristics? I would have to go with tall. She definitely towers above the rest of us. Sasha had blue eyes and rarely blinked.

 

“Dominique. Nice to meet you.” Introduced Dominique. Dominique was a stern-looking idol-looking man. He had basically perfect facial features with hazelnut eyes. He had black hair pointing all up at a hundred ten degrees as if he was using gel. Somehow, I could tell he was not.

 

“Edina. It’s a pleasure to meet you!” Edina was a strange case. Edina was definitely not Sasha-level. In fact, they appear to be complete polar opposites. Edina stood at what looked to be exactly five feet tall. Not many people were that short but it does not look like she is young either. Oops… better not say as much.

 

Like clockwork, the three additions introduced themselves.

 

“My name is Quentin, and she is Marsha.” I tugged on Marsha’s sleeve when I said so.

 

“Please treat me well.” Said Marsha.

 

“Who would like to do introductions first?” Asked Edina, concerned. She was shifting her gaze around like a puppy, waiting for somebody to break the ice.

 

...

 

“I suppose I will be first then. I was called the hero of Light and my power is Lord over Light. It seems to have the ability to bend light and make illusions at will.” I said.

 

Marsha followed, “My power concerns the mind. I have the ability to suggest changes in behaviour. My power’s name is Suggestion and the skill name is Mind Bend.”

 

Then, Sasha soon saw the order we were introducing ourselves in and went along with it. “I am the Alchemy hero. It’s name is Alchemize and I have a Matter Wand that makes matter.” Sasha smiled as she waved her wand and made a rock appear out of thin air.

 

That was impressive. If her ability concerns alchemy, she should be able to change that rock to whatever she wants.

 

“Unfortunately though, I have to play with many configurations of it in my mind and it is its own art form. I will require specific amounts of the stone and other combinations to magically transmute them.” Said Sasha.

 

Huh? How does she know that? It seems she was force-fed information when she was bestowed the power.

 

Edina then went on, “I have dominion over Barriers. Within them, I can control the rules of specific conditions such as temperature and seemingly a lot more. I have this cool Barrier orb that lets me deploy one barrier that I can move around with me! Since I can create one barrier at a time with my normal ability, this orb will seriously help me.”

 

Cute. Seriously cute.

 

Where does Edina get her enthusiasm from?

 

It finally went on to Dominique. He is holding a hand drill in his hand it definitely does not look like a weapon. Honestly, we could use a bit of offensive abilities in our group.

 

“My power is Divination. Whatever I dig this drill into even slightly, I can pry a far distance through its surface and transport those things to it. It is called the Quarry Drill. I also have the ability to detect what lies beneath the surface of what I drill, so please don’t throw me away Sasha.” Said Dominique, staring at Sasha.

 

Pfft. Looks like a new comedy duo was born.

 

Which will it be first, the chicken or the free matter?

 

“Marsha’s abilities have a lot of weird restrictions, but I do believe that we can make proper use of our team to prepare us and others. We do have a pretty unique support vibe going on.” I said.

 

Oh how little I knew at the time.


Year VI0, Harlequin City, Penelope’s Perspective

Walking through the arduous roads of the city, I notice a large commotion in the town’s central plaza.

 

“Hmm, I wonder what is going on?” I ask.

 

Approaching the central plaza, I hear many people speaking and rumors flying.

 

“Heroes! There are heroes?!”

“How come our country didn’t get any?”

“Do you think we will get heroes of our own some day?”

“What do you think heroes can do?”

“Do you think they are powerful??”

 

Walking through town lately has become such a hassle. I occasionally meet up with my party members and defeat a few monsters while joining Patrol around the border, but there have been no major incidents lately.

 

Thinking this much, I decide to head to Adventurer’s Industry and look for a request.

 

Ahh, a nostalgic view. How long has it been since I have made proper arrangements on a terminal?

 

That is right.

 

There exist many terminals in the Adventurer’s Industry where you can find Adventure listings with detailed postings on the risks and rewards. The objectives are posted, and other such information is also posted.

 

Unfortunately, the information shared in these nodes through the terminals are not broadcast outside any Adventurer’s Industry. Information regarding the reputation of adventurers do spring up from time to time, but most of it ends up being classified so research through a terminal is pointless.

 

What I approach the terminal for is the listings.

 

“Let’s see. First I log in, then I browse the list. A request for medicinal herbs, help setting up electronics in a home which requires a private contractor, subjugation quests, many complicated posts are made here. The best part about it though is that all Adventurer’s Industries use a separate network to distribute the postings, so you will always know where to travel to and if the posting is worth it.” I mutter.

 

Shuffling through the many listings, I found many that Tornado should simply not participate in. We are a party of highly experienced adventurers after all. Approaching tasks such as medicinal herb gathering with a party famous for magic would be quite the snore fest.

 

Seeing an interesting listing, I take a look into its details:

“Title: Hero Hero Hero !! Want to be a hero?

Reward: 100 Stardust Dollars

Poster: Liz

Looking for an individual to help explore an unknown land! Application requires an experienced adventurer (preferably with experience in scouting)!

 

To apply, please contact XXX-XXXXX-X today!” Said the shady posting.

 

Ahh, these shady postings take me back. I would always kick the butts of the losers who would make such shady postings with ease with my future prediction.

 

It is great to waste the time of people like this who include so little details. I do it so that they cannot scam other people so easily.

 

The worst part is, after the title's bold claim, nowhere in the post itself does it claim to make you into a hero. I have heard about them in passing but this post seems to fishy.

 

However, the reward posted on this quest is nothing short of amazing. You cannot post fake rewards as what you pay is what fills that field. Whether it is real or not matters not to me, since it is a boon to me either way. I immediately decided to contact their number.

 

“Hello. I would like to apply for the posting you made!” I say into the device.

“Hello there. Would you like to meet up? Where are you located?” Replied the voice.

Strange. It seems the voice has no real regard for where I am located.

Normally, these quests would be limited to location, so this is a fairly strange call.

“I am in the Adventurer’s Main Industry in Harlequin City.” I replied.

“Harlequin City? Which country or kingdom is that city in?” Replied the voice, a little more impatiently this time.

“Ah, it is the Stardust Republic.” I said.

“Stardust Republic? Oh is it that republic that isn’t actually a republic? How weird.” Said the voice.

 

Huh? ...The person on the phone is not even in the same country?!

 

“Anyways, I will meet you there then.” Said the voice as it hung up.

 

Uhh… What?

 

As I turned around and went outside, a lovely lady with purple skin stood there waiting.

 

“Hello. This is the location I presume?” Said the purple lady.

 

“Uhm… Did you just…?” I said, hesitantly.

 

“Did I what? Oh, did you not know I could teleport? It is one of my abilities. I can move to already explored areas using teleportation.”

 

Is this person not human…?

0