Chapter 9: Like mother like son
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Mam, there is some issue with the auction." Jane said as she came running towards that room. 

"What went wrong now?" Amy asked and was a little shocked cause everything was going pretty perfectly so far. 

Jane hesitated after seeing Chris sitting in her lap. The orders were not to speak anything in front of him.

"Oh, just speak." Chris said in frustration. He was getting excited to know what she was talking about. Amy glared at him. 

"Don't." She said in a stern voice, and he went quiet. Amy got up and patted his head, making him smile the next second.

Amy looked at Jane and nodded, asking her to speak further.

"Uh...oh..." Jane said and walked towards her. 

"One of our partners for the auction..." She said, and she showed her a photo of that guy on her tab. 

"He is the biggest shareholder... um... he ran away." 

"How? You guys were so sure that everythng was working out well." Amy said and looked at Jane. She was neither angry nor surprised. That terrified Jane cause Amy was suppressing her anger, and it meant that guy was dead.

“He misguided the security by using a body double. The body double went to the office while Mr. J himself sneaked to B city.” Jane said and showed her the footage of him at the airport that they had found so far. 

“So, let us go there and show him where he belongs.” Amy said in a calm voice. Jane forced a smile; she was getting nervous now and kinda afraid to see her like that. 

“Can I come with you?” Chris said excitedly, as he jumped around her. 

Amy tilted her head and sighed. She was going to refuse his request but changed her mind after seeing him that excited. It was not like he asked for something just every day. 

She nodded and smiled at him. A bright smile formed on his face, and he jumped into her lap, hugging her tightly. Amy chucked and carried him in her arms. 

“But mam, it can be dangerous.” Jane said and was confused about what Amy was thinking now. 

They got out of that room and were now in front of the door. Amy did not listen to her and walked in a familiar direction, with Chris in her arms. Levi and Theo also came there.

“She just wants to see him happy.” Levi reminded her as he walked closer to where she was standing. 

“She is not going to deny his request.” Aaron said as he walked up to them. “She is trying her best to be a good mom and thus will do anything for his happiness.” 

“But, what if he wants something bad?” Theo asked him and thought that her actions might be bad for Chris. 

“She knows where to stop.” Aaron answered; he was staring at her, walking towards the Elder Masters room. 

“If she can make you sit on the top, she can also make you fall on the ground.” He smiled because he had complete confidence in her. He knew that she would not do anything wrong.

“I hope nothing goes wrong now.” Levi said, and the others were also wishing the same thing.

Amy was now standing in front of her grandpa’s room. 

“Are you ready, darling?” Amy asked him as she let him down and held his hand. 

“Yeah, but are you?” Chris asked her. He knew that she always tried to avoid him.

“What do you think?” She asked him back, and he went silent. They lived in the same house but rarely saw him. 

Amy took a deep breath and pushed the door open. Chris squeezed her hand lightly as the door opened. 

As usual, the room was dark, with no lights on and no curtains opened. Amy smiled and walked towards the curtains to open them.

“Do you have to do that every time?” The old man groaned at the blinding sunlight. 

Chris sat by his side obediently. George, the Elder Master, patted his head lovingly. 

“Brat you do not even come to see me.” George nagged him, and Chris chucked. 

Then Chris started telling him different things about how his studies were going and how happy he was that Amy was back. 

Amy smiled at seeing her only family members get along so well. It was true that George forced her to make Chris learn shooting and fighting. He did so to make sure he was strong enough to take care of himself. 

But Amy put forward a condition, that he would love him and also show it. He would talk to him with a bright smile and not act cold and unapproachable as he did to her. He agreed to it happily cause now he could see the consequences of his actions. 

He could see what he had turned Amy into, like a robot with no feeling or emotions. But it was a good thing that Chris was present in her life. He was the reason she smiled and lived her life somewhat like a human. Unlike earlier, when she just focused on fighting and did not care how badly she was injured.

“Ok darling, now go outside for some time.” Amy told Chris after a few minutes, her expressions were dead serious. 

Chris got off the chair and went outside; he knew that she was going to talk about the plan and did not want him to hear anything. 

“Why did you send him? Doesn't he already know everything?” George said sarcastically. He hated the fact that Amy had told Chris everything. 

“I told him everything for his safety.” Amy protested. George scoffed and was not convinced by her reason.

“Oh, really? Your enemies can easily use him to know everything about you.” George said and wanted to prove her wrong. 

He somewhat hated that she was now stronger than him and did not listen to him at all. Since childhood, he had ordered her around, played with her feelings. But now that she was strong enough to face him. She did not listen to any of his orders and did not fear him anymore.

“But the greater possibility is that they will try to manipulate him against me.” She said, and George was left speechless. 

She was right; no one could expect a 5-year-old child to know about such a big plan. Also, Chris was smart enough to read the situation and play dumb when required.

Amy smiled on seeing him silent and then started talking about her plan and the developments they had made so far.

“We destroyed the warehouse.” She said and looked at him. George became gloomy on hearing that.

“You did a good thing, they deserved that.” He said as he nodded. Amy clenched her fists tightly. A torturous expression formed on her face as if she was trying hard not to cry or burst at him.

She took a breath and smiled again, the next second.

“One of the shareholders ran away, we are going to City B to solve that matter.” She informed him, and he nodded as he listened carefully to all the other things she told him about the auction.

“Are you taking Chris with you?” George asked her after she finished talking. 

“He insisted to go.” Amy said and a smile formed on her face. It was clear to see he was her life.

“Protect him well.” He said and smiled on seeing her that happy. He had not seen her that happy for a long time, and her smile comforted him somehow.

“Also, who is that new guy you brought?” He asked as he remembered Sam.

“Brought? I captured him.” Amy corrected him. She was going through some documents that George has given her. This made him even more curious.

“Why?” George chucked.

“He sneaked into the forest secretly.” Amy answered as she flipped through pages. 

George was left shocked by that. He could not believe that someone actually entered that forest. He looked at the photo of Sam that Aaron had given him. George was informed about all the movements in that mansion.

His eyes widened as he looked at that photo of this mysterious guy.

“Is it him?” He asked Amy and could not believe his eyes.

“Not confirmed but I am suspicious.” Amy said and got up. 

She placed the documents back at the table and then walked outside without saying anything else. She did not want to face any more questions from him.

She walked out of the room, and Levi and Jane were waiting for her. They looked anxious, and she could tell that something else was wrong.

"What else went wrong now?" She asked them and started walking.

"Mam, I think he is going to sell our secrets to some other gang." Jane told her. They both started walking alongside her. 

"He has been contacting these people since he entered City B." She continued and handed her the tablet. 

Amy looked at the photos that she was showing her. The photos were of Mr. J, meeting the gang members that they were talking about.

"They used to do a lot of trade with our family, contact the leader, and tell him to keep this guy there. We are heading there tonight." She ordered them, and they got to work at once.

They walked a little further towards the lobby; they were still discussing the plan about how they will tackle that guy, and saw Chris there. 

He was standing beside Sam. They were talking and seemed to have become quite familiar with each other. 

“The heck is he planning to do?” Amy said as she looked at Chris suspiciously. 

“I heard Chris has been curious about the new guy a lot.” Levi said and looked at Amy.

“You did not tell him not to get close to him? He will listen to you for sure.” Jane said and also turned towards Amy. 

“You wish.” Amy said as she walked towards Chris.

Chris walked towards her as he saw her coming, he had a bright smile on his face. The head maid called Sam for some work, so he went away from them.

“What are you doing, darling?” She asked him as she squatted down. She forced a smile.

“Helping you.” He said as he kept smiling.

"How?" Her expressions turned serious. But that did not scare Chris; he was used to her changing moods like that. 

Most of the time, she faked a smile, except for around him. And when she got tired of pretending, her expressions changed drastically and scared the hell out of the person watching her.

“I can help you know his secrets.” He said and tried to wink but ended up blinking both of his eyes. It made all of them chuckle. Amy tilted her head as she stared at him with confusion.

"See, you can test him through me. Or I can tell you about what he does or says." Chris tried to convince her, but she did not seem to be moved even a bit.

"I can not put you in danger." Amy straight off told him, denying his request. She looked away cause she knew he was going to use his puppy eyes. But nothing like that happened.

"Mom, are you being serious right now? You are letting him roam openly." Chris said a little informally, which shocked all of them. Amy stared at him and was quite impressed.

"We do not want him to know that we suspect him." Amy replied. She was talking to him the way she talked to her partners cause she knew that it was the only way to get him over his detective mode.

"And what if he did something bad in between? You would not even know who he is?" He questioned further and was trying to prove her wrong, just like her grandpa. They spent a lot of time together cause Amy was mostly away; he became a lot like him, loving but strict.

Amy already had an idea of who he might be but did not say anything to anyone. She did not want any words to go around this matter.

“Yeah, I did not…” Amy said and scratched her head. She lied. The assistants standing behind her were shocked to see her accept defeat. 

“See, I was right. I am helping you from now on. So, you bring him along to City B.” Chris told her in an ordering tone and walked away from there. Amy smiled as she saw him like that, walking proudly, waving his both cute little hands high in the air.

“He is indeed your son.” Levi said in surprise as he remembered the sight of the young master ordering his boss.

“He is always like that when he meets his great-grandpa.” Amy said as she got up. 

She extended her hand, and Jane handed her the tablet again. She stared at the picture of Mr. J again and touched it gently. 

“His death is approaching nearer..."

0