Ch123: Guided Tour
393 1 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Guided Tour

Kitamoto, Saitama Prefecture, Japan

The older man put on his headphones to hear the news better. It was from that same day, but the source of it was on the other side of the world. The reporter was talking about how the United States government had allocated the money for the total repair of the Brooklyn Bridge, which was destroyed by a brave group of policemen who heroically risked their lives to delay the supply line of the invasion of the Empire that was carried by the same place. After giving the report, the journalist interviewed some of the witnesses of the event, as well as some home videos about what happened.

"The shots occurred along the bridge, several of them ended up hitting the apartment where I lived" Mentioned an African-American woman

"The policemen came from that direction, they got out of their truck and started shooting towards that other place, towards the interior of the bridge, several soldiers responded, I hid inside this alley to avoid the shots, but in the end, one hit me anyway"  Said an older man, showing the wounds on his arm still bandaged.

"The tank was on that side, looking at them directly with the cannon, I thought they were crazy, they were dead, but then a girl came out of one of the cars, she was small I think, like my younger sister but white, she took something from the floor, she picked it up and when the tank fired there was a huge explosion, I thought that would be it, but to my surprise, they were still there, the shots did nothing to them. I know that what I say doesn't make much sense, but I assure you man if it happened, it's a shame I didn't record it with my phone, I would have shown it to you"  Said a blonde girl, it seemed that she was on her way to high school.

The older man who was watching the news stopped the video on his computer and reopened the video chat program. On the other side of the call was the trusted man of the Japanese government, one of his best men, Mr. Miyazaki, signed as always with his classic cigarette.

"I still have even more proof, this image here is one that I managed to get personally from another of the witnesses, as you can see the same girl is in this one too"
"Just as small, just as white, just as "unique""
"It is clear that during the New York attack the American government used it once again."
"One of the Supersoldiers used by the Alliance in secret, her presence  was able to completely change the outcome of the battle."
"According to what I was able to gather more information from some audio files, this girl used the code name  White, she was given the rank of captain by Adelis herself, the high coordinator of the Alliance, who was with the president of America at that time"
"I think it is evident that she is the so-called Valkyria mentioned in some reports of the continental war that I was able to retrieve"

"It's impossible to believe, she's just a girl"
"From such a young age?"

"The future of modern warfare among the first world countries"
"It is clear that the great potential of the world is leaning towards this type of project along with unmanned drones"
"A team with high mobility and high damage power"
"Perhaps working in conjunction with a drone system capable of assisting in information, reconnaissance or support"
"They would easily function as attack cells of a  one person in any country could easily go unnoticed"
"Terrorism Delivery"

"That's crazy, no intelligence agency could against a mass arrival of agents capable of so much damage"
"There would be no way to stop something like this"
"What is something like the United States doing in the face of this?"

"The answer is in front of your eyes Sir"
"We need to have a response team ready at all times"
"A unit capable of facing monsters as they start to appear"
"Just like the white girl did in New York"

"Have a monster that hunts monsters"

"In closing, I would like to add that after reviewing the reports of the officers who dealt with the Ueno dam case, I really believe that the white girl was actually there on that occasion"
"But we don't know why"

"Any ideas, any suspicions?"

"I don't know, maybe Adelis brought her in as her security agent, or maybe it's a different unit"
"Perhaps it was a perfect occasion to test its level of efficiency"
"Measure up to what level you were able to face a terrorist threat in a foreign country and with very limited support from the central command"
"Just think about it, if it worked here what can stop them from being sent to other places where they can be more useful, maybe not as saviors, but as the perpetrators"

"I know, all this intelligence work you've done is incredible, highly detailed"
"Really enlightening, I certainly think it's also the right path for us to take."
"But a project of this caliber, to reach the necessary magnitude ..... we do not have enough capital, not the necessary one if we want to reach our goal"
"With the attack on New York it is clear that Japan needs to join the Alliance as soon as possible, but we cannot accept it yet, not until this is finished"
"The others are trying to pull all the stops and delay the diplomats as best they can."
"But we can't play the undecided indefinitely, not after knowing we could be next."
"...."
"...."
"I will try to present the project to the Defense Minister shortly"
"If we can count on his support, we will be able to obtain more financing and have a compelling reason to delay the Pact until we have formed our special unit"
"I will ask the ISC to try to present a relatively functional model to present to him"

"Okay sir, I hope luck is on your side"

Mr. Miyazaki said hanging up the call and turning off the computer

"Sir, we have already arrived" the driver said.

The door has opened the noise of the wind filled with blow the place. The engine was roaring but began to slow down little by little. The helicopter had finished landing on a helipad of a building, it was a bit deteriorated but not abandoned. The place was a small town, one dying since most of the places had been abandoned by their owners. Most had gone to the capital in search of opportunities, left behind by the elderly who normally take care of their younger children, who later will go to Tokyo too. A place where nothing happens on the surface, a perfect place to do things underground.

The building was nothing special really, it was just a simple hospital, small even far from the capital. It specialized in caring for the elderly, but since it was actually the only medical center nearby and they didn't have much money, they really cared for anyone who came. When it was finally safe to approach the machine, two people approached the vehicle, one was clearly a foreigner, the other was not, and they opened the door for their important visitor.

"Senator Yoshida, it is a pleasure to have you with us today" said the foreigner trying to give a quality smile, or rather a salesman's smile.

"Mr. Brandon, you are the director of this place, you know exactly what is going on here."
"Do not pretend hospitality where there is none"
"You already know why I'm here, so you can start walking" Said the older man immediately cutting off the pretensions.

"Of course Sir"
"please follow me here"
"If you want me to show you progress, that's exactly what you'll get"

"And who she is?"
"She doesn't look very doctor with that gun"

"She is Akane, one of our best guards."
"She's with us making sure what happens inside stays inside."
"Just in case"

The three people entered the elevator, but the device after going down the second floor, continued a little more until it reached a place that should not be accessible to the other people who used the hospital in the normal way. Inside this mysterious floor, everything was very different from what the exterior of the place suggested. This time everything was new and high-tech, strong security prevailed in the place, a team of armed guards on alert all the time. There were also several people in robes, clearly collaborators of what was happening. Some were resting eating in a room, others were checking out whatever those weird figures were on the screens.

"I see that security measures have been increased compared to what was previously"
"Any reason in particular?"
"Wasn't that enough before?"

"Unfortunately it seems that I met with more success than I originally expected"

"And was it this initial success that caused people to start appearing nailed to walls?"

"We had to deal with all our loose ends, we couldn't risk a single mistake"
"Responsible people have already paid the price for their failures" The scientist lied bravely.

"This way Senator Yoshida"
"However, please understand the nature of our investigation"
"One in which progress is not achieved without sacrifices"

The government man still entered the place without answering anything from his guide. Inside the room in which they had arrived seemed to be a place of analysis, there were several jars with grotesque meats inside, skin samples on a tray, an arm in one place maybe? He didn't look human, he had a lot of hair and it was overwhelmingly long, but he seemed to have a ring, animals don't wear them. On one of the tables, there was a collection of tusks of different sizes. The place had more in common with an animal biology room in a museum than a hospital.

"And this collection you have here?"
"Very nice but when do you plan to finish the puzzle?"

"These, Senator, are the results of our preliminary investigations"
"Different tests to start to see what is more feasible to investigate in the short term and what would be better to save for much later"
"What I am most happy to announce is that despite our current formula it is still too early, its flexibility is quite high."
"This one hand here is focused on hardness, we need to replace the saw twice to get it"
"This other for his part was able to scratch the safety glass with these fangs"

"Yes, you are right, this is all good"
"But why am I seeing it in pieces?"

"That my dear friend, is because we are still starting the project"
"We haven't figured out how to add more than one ability to a single test subject yet"
"Also, we still don't know to what extent you are able to improve your skills, if we go too far we could end up with something that we can't fully deal with"
"The good side is that so far the majority of the skills that you have required have been tested and have given positive results"
"So it seems feasible to do it, what is missing now is to combine all and adjust a stable formula"

"What about your unexpected success?"
"How much are we talking about?"

"I have everything in this report to prepare personally for you Senator"
"All the information collected is in this folder here
"

"Jirou Iwasaki? He is the one being chased by the police?"

"This guy was a complete loser, broken state of mind, zero economy"
"I found him dying of hunger in the street, he had addiction problems with something it seems"
"The project assigned to him was the one referring to hardness"
"But for some reason, it got out of control, his mind, despite becoming more primitive, seems to have managed to recover a certain amount of memory"
"A short time later he managed to increase his strength by himself, he also managed to get hold of here, with which he managed to create his escape"
"We started looking everywhere"
"But when the news came about his dead ex-girlfriend, we were just as shocked as the police"
"At least it was easy to connect the dots of what happened"
"Unfortunately, despite being our biggest advance so far, we had to dispose of it due to the risk of someone finding something they weren't supposed to."
"Agent Akane, the one who accompanies us, managed to find him and destroy all the evidence, so I couldn't investigate more about him"

"The most surprising thing about the test subject was his ability to stay out of the reach of the police."
"He knew he had to keep a low profile"
"Showed clear signs of intelligence" added the girl

"Okay, so the feasibility of the project is quite favorable"
"But what do you not want to tell me?"
"What serious problems does the program have?"

"So over here Senator"
"I want you to also witness the advances and challenges we face"
"This section hereafter is where our current tests are located."
"These here are live development, so be aware of the situation"

The man in the robe showed one more elevator, this one was much bigger and rougher, more resistant. The same device took them even further down the facility, to a place where the walls were no longer white and were now just bare concrete, lights were embedded in the walls surrounded by glass to protect them, security cameras were on every wall. . There were several developers always accompanied by guards in heavy gear, always expecting trouble.

"I see you have quite a lot of staff here with you, Mr. Brandon."
"Isn't information leakage a problem?"

"You don't have to worry about it"
"Most of them are former Alliance soldiers"
"Almost all of them are from Europe, they are trying to send money home"
"The pay we offer you an excellent pay to compensate for morality"
"They don't even speak Japanese, they have no idea what we're talking about"
"The guard over there comes from Belgium, the one next to him from India"
"Even if they get out of here, they don't have the means to get back home without our help"
"And back at home no one will believe them either, an easy solution, don't you think?"

Brandon walked a little further and then stopped near a large metal gate. There were scratch marks on it and the concrete, it seemed that it had been the product of some attack. Through the bars of the small window, you could see something that barely reflected the silhouette of something that seemed to be a human, but he was on the ground, barely moving from the obvious pain, it didn't seem to be the source of what caused the marks in the first place.
 
"This test was about seeing to what extent it could heal skill of resistance to damage, firearms, impaled, electrocution, acid"
"See how far he was able to endure, after all, it is the pillar of this investigation"
 
"A complete failure?"
 
"On the contrary, a great success, after all, he is still alive"
"The only one that presented a negative answer was the acid"
"The marks on the door were from that day"
 
"So why does he look so bad?"
 
"It is reaching the end of its useful life"
"...."
"The formula we are using is still very early"
"Although it is giving excellent results, these do not come without an enormous cost in the body of the individuals used"
"...."
"The first days will present the skills with all their power"
"But as time continues, it seems that the instability of the formed DNA ends up taking its toll on the body"
"First the subjects lose their minds, then a couple of healthy days, and then this"
"The symptoms presented are almost the same as those caused by high radiation"
"...."
"For now, almost anyone given a dose will see their life expectancy greatly reduced"
"We hope that the one who is here will die next week from the pain"
"...."
"We haven't found a way to prevent or reduce it but we're working on it as we speak"
"Although honestly speaking, I don't know if this mishap is good or bad"
 
"Why do you think so?"
 
"Well for now it serves as a security measure"
"In case it escapes we already know that they will die in a matter of days by themselves"
"A problem that can be solved by itself"
 
"You may be right but this is still a big problem!"
"The cost per unit is too high, they do not serve me that they are "single-use"
"I need Elite soldiers, with experience, able to reason, follow orders"
"At the moment it is not very different from releasing a lion in the middle of a city"
"...."
"How much extra money will it cost to get to that point?"
"Right now this whole idea is being developed with private funds from people interested in the success of this development, but money is not infinite and neither is our patience"
"We have a very limited budget for now"
 
"You can be calm on the subject of money Senator"
"This project is also of great interest to Mr. Damien Raven"
"He more than anyone wants to see this project come to fruition"
"He himself is putting from his personal money all the extra costs that are adding up"
"Almost all of this installation and the new equipment that is about to arrive are paid for by him"
Not a single yen has been added to the agreed price."
"You just make sure to continue with the project and we take care of the other problems that appear"
 
"That is excellent news to hear, to know that we both have the same vision of the future in mind"
"But I'm afraid I still have slightly less pleasant news"
"We would like to show you the project and its progress as soon as possible, the Ministry of Defense"
"We want to receive the go-ahead and be able to secure a budget from the government itself"
"The money will increase enormously to continue and further increase your scale"
"But we need a working model, a proof of concept"
"You don't have to live long, but you do need to be able to take orders and show that it's better than nothing"
"Do you think you are capable of producing something like that in the short term?"
 
"To be honest, in the short term it is impossible with what I have now with the idea that we have in mind"
"BUT there is more than one way to make people obey orders, even if they don't want to"
"I think I can work on something that I can use in a small demo at least"
"Will that be enough for you?"
 
"Focus on getting the smoke and mirrors working then"
"We need a strong first impression"
"You cannot fail in view of the minister"
"...."
"And not to mention we don't want the  Alliance to know about this"
"Make sure only the right people attend the test"
"...."
"Other than that we are very happy with the progress made so far"
"It has been an excellent job of yours, Mr. Brandon, we hope you continue in the same exemplary way for the rest of the project"
 
The older man left the place and took the way back, got back in his helicopter, and returned to the place where he originally came from. On the other hand, the scientist was happy with the recognition he had obtained since he had worked very hard to obtain it. But even so, he had a long road ahead of him, one that would be full of problems and difficulties, but that he had to continue if he wanted to be the best of all.
16