S2 – Chapter 14: The Turning Tides
653 2 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 14: The Turning Tides

Their Opponents Move With Great Precision.
Their Action Calculated and Prepared.
They now move towards the goal of usurping the bristle kingdom.
But for what reason?

『You've done well, Cardigan.』

He nods to the man wearing a large white robe with a large fancy hat.
His clothes signify a large authority figure, a major archbishop of their order.
Embedded with a cloth and white jewelry it shined and gave a unique look to it.

Cardigan who is currently kneeling whose wound appears to have been healed by his people then said.

『Yes, your eminence.』he replied.

『But still,
I find it foolish for the Pope to not act.
When the chance to claim the last of their kind is already right in front of us...

Surely he had gone senile.』he complained.

Cardigan didn't reply to those words but he had a brow raised as he said.

『Won't the others complain about your sudden action?』

He shook his head in response.

『The other's in particular also saw this as an opportunity.
Usually, we do not take on violence to obtain a specific land.

But this place had grown too cocky and repeatedly ignored our request to seize the child and bring her to us.』

Indeed, many times over the order had sent messages to the Queen and King of Bristle.
But they rejected it not because they are against their wishes, but simply because they dread the wrath of being destroyed by the demon-kingdom.

Word's regarding Estel's Identity as a princess of the demon-king was sent back with an explanation and reason. However, this did not please the arch-bishop as this merely forced their hand to claim the child for themselves.

When everything was confirmed that her miraculous power was in full bloom after restoring Fae eye's(Levere's sister).

They had chosen to take matters into their own hands and simply motivated their enemies against them to finally claim their land for their own. In hopes of finally obtaining not only the land but the beast child known to carry the power of the Light Dragons the very symbol of their order.

『That child is the key for hatching the very symbol of our order.』

『The rebirth of their own kin.』

Possessed eggs of the light dragon.
But with every attempt, they have made to hatch it.
Those who tried simply collapse or drained to death by their meager attempt to hatch it.

It was deemed as a relic and was safely guarded until they find an opportunity or discovery another way to hatch it.

This was the reason why their eyes were set on the information of the child who created a miracle.

『If we can claim her as one of our own.』

『Then surely our order will rise above even against those heretical Magi Order.』

The Magi Order is another faction that concentrates solely on magic.
Because of such an existence, they are often in constant competition for those who carried the potential to use magic.

However, their beliefs are also at equal power as they too carry a belief of their own.

Which caused them to be heretical to them of many sorts.

Cardigan then asked.

『What about the demon-kingdom?』

『Bah! what about them?』

『They are an undoubtedly a powerful kingdom.
But they are too distant to even reach here.

While their mysterious advancement with magic allowed them to travel long distances using some advanced magical tools and knowledge in their power. Those fools will never dare try to attack us or else they risk breaking their own contract while making enemies of the many kingdoms around them.』

Cardigan then wondered.

『And what if this country were to be somehow swayed by the queen?』

『Then, we will have no choice but to perform Plan B.
It pains me to do such a thing to such a rich kingdom full of innocents lives.
But once it is unleashed, we can simply blame it on the demon-kingdom and have them compensate for the losses here.』

He said with a wide grin his wicked intentions were clear for him to hear.

But their gaze turned to a large cage that carried a large glowing object under a piece of cloth.
It carried a blue hue with many chains wrapped around it.
Along with an eerie presence that seems to have been sealed away.

While this is occurring, the news is being spread in the city as the death of the king was plotted by the Queen. An angry mob has formed and begun to cause chaos as a number of people begin to join their cause, the order of light plans are beginning to bear its fruit.

Or so they believe...

By performing these tasks they not only seized a new heir to become a puppet of the state but also avoided any complicated matters that may lead to them. Others who may claim they are the cause of the whole incident will be ignored as a rambling lunatic as their faith had grown strong through the ages of time.

That only few would distrust their words... ________________________________________________________________________________

// Levere Company //

If there is one fact about the Levere company is the fact that it is more than just an enterprise.
Information Gathering, Inventive New tools that are unheard of...

And now an offered Bounty hunting.

These people take advantage of any information that can get their hands on including food and wares that can profit them. That I can only describe as extremely resourceful and skillful in their use of the knowledge they obtain from an unending flow of information.

The moment my mind had grown clearer, It was later explained to me.

The people who rescued me were hired men by levere who had already stationed his men waiting for a perfect moment to strike. Unfortunately, it took them time to prepare the necessary tools and preparation to swiftly dealt with them.

They studied his men enough that every success their mercenary goes through, causes the Iron bull mercenaries to always celebrate making it an opportune time to strike after my family was defeated.

They also received a bonus for my rescue along with the risks they had to go through of preparing everything. Levere was slightly troubled as they received 80% of the rewards and asking for more...

I promised him to reward them once everything in my country had been dealt with...

But aside from that.

Right now we are in the preparation, we arrived in his headquarters during the night.
Indoor's we practiced a bit on how to use a specific weapon given to me by my own request.

『Point it like this.』

Levere said to me while angling my hand and aiming at a bottle, I applied my own mana into the weapon as the yellow color flowed on the device like a stream as it powers the crystal inside of it.

Then a bolt of lightning fired with little to no recoil as it struck the glass. The weapon currently in my hand is so small that it fits like a glove I question where the heck does Levere make these...

『That's some impressive aim there...』

『I wasn't regarded as the Owl for nothing you know.』

As I gazed at his clothes, he always wore something that could easily blend in a crowd.
Commoner clothes but underneath it are high-quality materials that can as well pass for an adventurer.

『Tell me, how bad is it?』

『Extremely bad, your people got rallied up at the mere mention of your father's death.
Their voices are influencing most of the commoners and those who regarded him as a hero.』

The Order is taking advantage of the situation.
Their ridiculous speed and momentum are remarkable.
Like puppets, they manipulated my own people like tools for their own gain.

Like hell, I'm going to let them do as they please!
Revealing a grim expression, I turned to him and said.

『I owe you too much now.
I don't even know how to repay a debt like this.』

Information, direction, and planning...
Even now he is preparing tools and places to support my cause.

『There's no need, this was something I decided for myself.
Most of my men have families here and are incredibly happy to discover we are at the side of truth.

These bastards gnawing at this kingdom have lived long enough.

Using people like objects, I'll make them pay for what they've done.』

He had a glint in his eyes was it wealth he was after?
Or was it for the sake of my people?

I can't help but feel a bit attracted to him as he said those words.
At a short moment tugged his tie and gave him a short but swift kiss.

His eyes went wide open as I initiated the contact.
I gave him a grin and said while walking away raising my right hand to signal...

『That was my thanks.
For being there for me and also for the rescue.』

Out of embarrassment I turned around hiding my own anxiety as I surprised even myself.

I glanced back a little.
He showed me a puzzled expression showing his inexperience.
This sis-con who doesn't know his own charms, it's almost a sin.

I grinned as I returned to my room to rest.
This was a perfect moment to shatter this ridiculous momentum they have...

________________________________________________________________________________

// Levere's Shock: Pov //

There she was moving away after a sudden ambush on my lips.
Where did I go wrong I wonder?

But... words from my mind swiftly came to complain.

『You fool, don't be deceived!』

『That girl is a princess of this kingdom.』

『You should know what that means!』

These voices are my logical thoughts.
They are the working machines that keep me going.

[The princess of Bristle Leanne Arts.
Her father was well regarded as a hero.
Her mother was the queen who was regarded as the lightning sorceress.

With the work of both of them, monsters within their lands were swept away.

But at what cost?

The noble which they have entrusted their power to deal with such a threat were later swayed by the power given to them, claiming they have not done enough for them.

Corruption flows in her mother's past family blood, inevitable internal strife waiting to happen.
Especially now that they have made their City and kingdom flourished like this.
Once again they are thrown into such a chaotic state puppeteered by a bigger threat.]

『The Order Of Light.』

[As a princess I cannot touch her nor can I wed her,
My Enterprise is a public company that utilizes no allegiances to any kingdom.
If I were to show favor to her by performing an act of engagement.

This will likely lead to suspicion my company is actually a place for spies for their nation.
This is what I wanted to avoid, why I didn't want to be her rescuer.

I had hope for the queen to act and save her instead.
[He is pertaining to the time when she was first ambushed by bandits.]

But things have changed.
The Order of Light went way too far in their aggression.
This information must spread to the other nation and capitalize on it by breaking their cycle of control.

The Teaching of the Order isn't evil though.
However, the rulers of their order had gone way too far, that their greed has finally taken to claim full control of them.

Though...
It's such a shame that such a relationship with her cannot continue.

That was the first time I met a young lass who would suddenly dare to do something bold to me.
Most of the women are either afraid or simply have no interest because of my doting habit towards my own sister.

[But that simply a facade to deter them.]

I was straight and even now I felt perturbed by that mere kiss alone.

[Perhaps it's time for me to learn of the opposite sex?] he thought.

But he shook his head.
[Nevermind, my men are talkative fools.
While they are skillful in their work.
They aren't too shy to share what kind of odd things I've done.]

He didn't want any strange rumors to reach his sister ear's,
so he simply decided to abandon such ideas.

He gazed at the starry sky and heard the voices of cries outside this place.

[Things grow grim the longer we delay, the queen moves fast and will attempt to quell it.]

『Will it ends in a blood bath of the innocent?』

『Or will it end in the threat being thrown asunder?』

At that moment I went to my own room and went to bed,
Hopefully, my sister is managing well back in the academy.

She requested a lot of books regarding ice magic.
I'm glad that it didn't scar her too much when she saw a number of corpses during that time...

(ref. to Estel's Rampage on the day she butchered a platoon of soldiers)

________________________________________________________________________________

-Meanwhile-

A servant came rushing his hands shaking carrying a message and panting.
With a pale expression, he cried out to the Queen of Bristle.

『Your majesty, we have received an urgent letter.』

As he handed the letter, the queen glanced at it.
There was a signature from her daughter along with the royal emblem specially made from her shadow corps to use.

As she opened the letter and glanced at its content.
Her expression shifted into a rage that made her face to ear's go red.
As she bit her lips and crumpled the paper in fury.

She turned to Rue who noticed her change of expression then said.

『My friend.』

『It appears there's no need to dirty your hands after all.
The Order will regret every crime they have committed in this kingdom.

This I will assure you.』

As she handed the letter to Rue as a tear fell from her eyes while revealing a fierce glare.

Rue checked the content of the letter.
Then a cracked a wicked smile on her face as she understood.

『Truly, we won't let them get away from this.』

The cogs of fate begin to turn as each piece of the world turns.
A great conflict is about to begin, will the country of Bristle rise or fall?

One thing is for sure.

A string of fate intertwined with these three will soon erupt in this fair city.

________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry for the cliff hanger too sleepy to do the last few chapters.
Goodnight.

20