Chapter 10: Outside? But not really…
2k 6 37
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 10: Outside? But not really...

"Bring us with you!" Aisha cried out to Estel.
She simply shrugged and said.
"How on earth am I suppose to bring a tiny dragon like you in public?"
It snorts a bit then moved in a circle as it bit its own tail then slowly turned metallic.
In surprise she saw the familiar turn into an armband, its silver color, and design decorated like a dragon biting its own tail.

"This should be enough...
My purpose is to protect the last predecessor.
If something were to happen to you.
We are screwed as well!" As the armband cried out to her.

"How on earth did you do that!?" surprised at what she saw.

"Shapeshifting." It monotonously answered.

She was now gazing at a dragon that had swiftly turned into an armband like a chameleon in a blink of an eye. She winced at it with a dejected expression then closed her eyes.

"Fine then!...
Just don't talk while others are around!?
They might see me as some kind of loony."
while groaning in annoyance, she wore the armband outside her clothing.

[Today's the day huh...
Lady Leanne's debut to her school life.

Lana told me it's a prestigious school in Bristle focusing on economical studies,
Harboring many important figures from dukes and princes from neighboring countries.
The purpose is to make a connection of trade and also to scout for potential people who could be hired to improve their economic circumstances.

To make it simple, the school is a place for rich merchants and aristocrats whose intention is to expand their trade by showing off their children's talents as well as sending them off for marriage.]

________________________________________________________________________________

*Time forward*
It took a day of travel due to how far away it was from the castle.
A scout of soldiers was also keeping guard...
Which I can simply guess were to protect the territory from assailants from the outside.

They were inspecting our carriage as well as giving the princess herself a salute before letting us in the territory where the school was located as the carriage moved onwards.

Lana then asked while gazing at Estel who was looking blankly at the windows.
"Does this school also accept commoners?"

Leanne smiled at her with a giggle.
"Very rarely they do...

Technically this school only accept students that have an incredible talent or a powerful background.

My family was chosen to be the host due to our personal connection with the many countries we deal with... but that doesn't mean a commoner won't be permitted.

We could even have Estel join them with my mother's connection."

The moment Estel's name was heard she swiftly retorts.

"Princess that's not something I want to happen!"

Leanne then said with confidence.

"But why? your plenty knowledgeable already,
Many boys there would give you the peaceful life you wanted."
While leaning beside Estel she said to her then while moving herself away playfully said.

"Ah...
I'm sure you can charm at least one of them with your tea...
Then I want to see you have children together."

Her armband that was on her right shoulders then whispered to Estel in response.
[So do we...]

"Please don't joke around!"
She cried out in rejection to the both of them with her face flushed red.

"Do you intend to become single forever?" Lana then calmly asked.

"That's something I want...
But not right now!"
She resolutely said while her cheeks were flushed red with embarrassment.

But Leanne continued to tease her.

"Ho...
Well then...
Now is your only chance to fetch yourself a decent man.
This place is full of those people that can give you an easy life."

Estel groaned at her words.

As the carriage closes in towards the school.
They saw a large gate with wide brick walls stretching across its territory.

"They weren't kidding about this place being well-protected," Lana said.

"My parent's ancestor placed a lot of investment in it.
Even now my father is managing in maintaining it.
Though many kinds of people enter the school.

I've heard news of assassins entering the place and aiming at peculiar royalties.
Which is why personal guards such as Lana are assigned to keep people like me safe."

Estel felt uneasy upon hearing the word Assasins.

"Please don't tell me we are going to be attacked by them." She said in worry

Lana, however, felt confident in her skill.
"Worry not, my sword is here to keep us safe should that happen."

Leanne smiled at her words while chuckling.
"Fu~Fu~Fu~ though,
I highly doubt anyone would aim at my life.
As it will only bring them nothing but trouble."

"Trouble?" Estel asked.

Lana then said.

"Many nations will likely hunt down the culprit.
With relentless endeavor.
To assassinate the family that brought such a beneficial business at their door-step after all.
Is something that not many would forgive."

As Leanne proudly explained.
"My family, after all, had brought a large number of supplies,
when they were facing droughts and other calamities.

They also constructed vast roads and ships that traveled by Sea or Land.
Providing them with efficiency in transportation of goods, that we became well known as a profitable country that only a fool would choose to harm us."

but Lana then said with worry...

"Though...
It also means Leanne will possibly be kidnapped instead due to how rich her family has become."

Estel was surprised to hear the word kidnapping then asked.

"Kidnapping... was she kidnapped before?"

"Shamefully yes... she did..." while nodding her head.

"Jeez, that was a long time ago." She complained.

"Yes, and it will happen again if you wander off without me." Lana retorts to lecture her.

"Uguuu..." The princess couldn't retort to Lana who made a good point.

As they entered the school entrance a large crowd of students and teachers has already formed as they watched the white carriage with the symbol of the royal crown pass by...

The buildings around the place were made out of bricks and the surrounding area was extremely clean. The large fountain and the statue of the Hero of their nation in the middle as water sprouted towards it.

"They are already waiting for us..." Estel gave a wry smile in the situation in front of her.

"Of course, my arrival is an important event for the school." Leanne grins as she said.
But Lana gave a scowled at the reaction to her.

"Princess, please don't let it this get in your head again...
Or else you'll screw up again."

Leanne gave a wry smile to Lana's agitation.

"Oh... I'm doing it again aren't I?"

But Estel sweated a bit, confused and unable to follow their conversation.

"Isn't that the director?" Lana pointed out from the window as she noticed a noble old man.

The carriage finally stopped.
As Lana was the first to leave the carriage, she soon followed.
They stood beside the door as they waited for Leanne to finally take a step outside.

Lana as her knight was holding her hand as she walked forward.
While I simply stood at the other side calmly at her side.

But... the people who were gazing at us made her flinch a bit.
Not only are there a lot of people.
They are mostly handsome hunks and women that are like from a Visual Novel!

Ranging from charming guys to wild looking ones as well as gentle looking guys.
[She wasn't joking about finding a husband here.] was her initial reaction when she flinched.

[If this was an otome game I would be thrilled to know each and every characters detail.
But this is technically reality...]

This made her heart fly in a panic with both worry and excitement.

[Thankfully I'm not the protagonist and I know nothing of these people. ]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

As Leanne and co. reached the noble old man wearing fancy shoes and dress.
His grey hair and beard were long enough to see underneath his fancy hat along with his blue eyes shined with joy as Leanne said while letting go of Lana's hand.

"Grand-paaaa-ah!" she gives him a wide hug as he spins her around then placed her down.

"It's good to see my granddaughter again." he happily said then turned to Lana greeting her.

"Ah... and Lana it's been quite a while."

She then bowed.

"Indeed, though she seemed to have at least grown a bit more aware of the people around her."

The old man heartily laughed with a large grin on his face.

"A-ha-ha-ha...
After that stunt she pulled on her brother,
It's good to be a little more mindful of other's thoughts.
Especially after how she socially executed Lance like that."

Leanne retorts to him as she waved her hand a bit.
"My brother asked for it when he picked a fight with me.
Besides!? It's only natural, I did the same thing."

His grandfather gave her a wry smile with a dejected expression.

"She didn't reflect at all...
Hasn't she?" He asked Lana.

"Unfortunately she isn't the type to reflect at all."
Lana gives a tired gaze as she exhaled after looking at Leanne's prideful expression.

Estel who was puzzled at what they were talking about and could only guess...
Her brother Lance tried to embarrass her sister but it completely backfired at him turning it into an incident banning her from parties.

As they continued to talk...
The people around them started to giggle.
It appears even they knew what they were talking about.

//Lance's Social Execution by his little sister.//
Was a well-known topic that spiked Leanne's popularity amongst noble and royalties alike.

"Now then... let's not idle by and come indoor's, I'll guide you to your room."

As her grand-father guided the three of us.
The servants hired behind us followed with the luggage.

"Are you sure it's fine for me to not carry anything?" Estel asked.

"Your job is to sit pretty beside me.
Relax and enjoy the moment." Leanne said.

The old man then said.
"I've heard of a maid you hired.
So it's her then?" he glanced a little at Estel while walking forward with his posture undaunted.

"She makes the finest tea, you should have some." while gentle smiling at him.

He coughed a bit then said.
"Perhaps when we arrive I will..."

________________________________________________________________________________

A few moments later we arrived at a building, but as we entered.
There was a person sitting on the table in the middle of the room with a beautiful theme of royalty.

"Ah... gramps looks like they're here." as he stood and bowed.

Black hair and dark eyes his expression was bright and charming as his face had begun to shine.
He wore a top-hat and a dark coat, as he glanced at the princess with a wide smile.

"Three people for one room as requested your highness."

Lana blushed at how polite he was...
Leanne was going a bit red but remained calm and composed.
Estel was indifferent as something had distracted her while gazing at the young man.

Within her eyes, she can see something black eerily moving around the air surrounding him.

[What on earth is that?] was her thought but shook her head and nodded.

"Ah...
This man is Jake of Carona, he was the one I recommended as a fiancé for you.
Unfortunately, your father burned most of the recommendation after he received a flood of them."

"Carona? you mean the neighboring country by the west that ships us pieces of jewelry?"

"Exactly that..." he proudly said as he added.

"I am also quite aware that you know what would happen if, you were to wed him."

"The cloth we produce and jewelry will be the prime-time selling in the market!" she cried out.
But then had a mournful yet serious expression.
"By trade, it's undoubtedly a very beneficial marriage that could change the future of this kingdom.
However..." She then swiftly turns to Jake.

"I would like to refuse." She bluntly said to him,
Her grandfather was calm.

He had a calm smile as he asked.
"Is there something that displeases you for you to reject me so swiftly?"

She gives a serious gaze with her deep blue, sapphire eyes.

"Wealth is a poison that slowly drowns its owner and blinds those around it.

Right now your kingdom is simply lacking the proper amount of forces in your nation due to the recent invasion that was waged for the precious jewels of your nation, correct?"

"Well... I can't deny that." He bitterly said.

"You've also involved yourself with mercenaries with my grand-fathers help in order to cope, but they are slowly eating away your wealth even as we speak."

Her grandfather then spoke while grinning and working a bit of sweat.
"That is correct."

But Leanne continued her explanation as to why she refused.

"If that is that case, then you intend to use my family's army to aid you in defending them.
However, if we did that my country will be the one in trouble as that would lead to your enemies becoming our enemies, making ourselves a target of the many nations that aspired to take your precious jewels away.

Making this marriage to be a failure and completely unbeneficial for neither of us."

He froze as she explains the matter further.

"I'm more of a merchant as my tutors taught me.
Try marrying a proper tactician like lady Chelsie of Roon who is currently studying here.
I recall she is now regarded as a Hero in her country.
Who took down an army using a small force she privately commands."

Her grandfather then bitterly said.

"He was rejected."

Leanne gives a wry smile then calmly said.

"Ah... then that's not my problem anymore.
You either hire a capable tactician or train an army and
do your best to keep things from going out of hand."

The man in front of them known as Jake then trembled as he said.

"As expected of the Owl princess.
Even with my father's warnings,
I am no match for you." He humbly bows to her then added.

"You even mentioned Lady Chelsie despite not being even a student here...
Now I know why your brother despised you." he said in annoyance.

"There is nothing wrong with knowing too much.
You can do a lot of things with knowledge after all.
It's better this way since you can move properly and plan ahead without getting into trouble."

While giving him a wide grin as she touched her lips with one finger.

"But...
If you are looking for an imbecile as a partner then look elsewhere."
she said with a sharp tongue, Jake was clearly about to retort to her words.

But her grand-father swiftly interjected.
"Now, now...
We are not here to fight."
As he bowed to Jake.
"Jake if you don't mind..."
He nods with a bitter look in his face as he left the building.

"Now then...
Let me guide the rest of you, to your rooms."
he happily said.

Lean and Lana gave an exhausted expression completely unable to follow their conversation.
They were finally being guided again to their room.

Her grandfather then asked Leanne as he displayed a sad gaze.

"When did you figure it, out?"

"Gramps...
Mother told me everything.
As much as I wanted to help,
There is simply nothing we can do for him.
We don't have the proper strength to help him.
After the trouble, his family just left in his shoulders."

The old man gives a bitter expression.
"He was a fine lad and could have been a great king."

She gave a bitter smile.
"But the odds are completely against him,
If the Hero of Roon herself won't help him,
Then only a miracle can save his home now."
________________________________________________________________________________

As they were guided to a large door within the building.
They entered it as they saw 3 lavish beds and a round wooden table in the middle.
There was a Chandelier installed above it, and a lamp for each bed.

As Estel turns to the right she saw a large bathtub that can house at least 5 or more people.
She then paled and asked the old nobleman a question.

"Excuse me, where are the servants quarters?"

"Ara?" Leanne said.

As all three of them looked at Estel in confusion.
Lana then said with a troubled look.

"Did you forget something in your room back in the palace?"

"No! That's not it...
It's just... this room has three beds!"

The old man gave her a puzzled look then patted her shoulders.

"Did you perhaps expect to have a room for servants?"

Swiftly she nods repeatedly and happily.
He then sighed.

"There are none." He said.
Estel's face paled and sweated as she screamed internally.

Leanne and Lana was confused as they soon understood her worries.

________________________________________________________________________________

*Night-Time*
With three lamps beside each bed and a chandelier brightening room.

"Estel..." Leanne looks at her with worry.
Lana then said.
"Do you intend to stay up all night?"

"Yes... it's fine."

The two gazed at one another with a suspicious look.
As they gazed at Estel with serious eyes.
Both of then exhaled with worry.

Leanne then said.

"Lana if you don't mind." 

"Of course." She swiftly aimed for the bag brought in by the servant which are Estel's belonging.

"Do-don't!" as she swiftly blocked her intent.

"Did you seriously not think, we wouldn't notice," Lana said, with a serious gaze.

A cry was heard in the night,
As the two then discovered a certain fact about Estel.

"These... are... rags?" Lana was dumbfounded at the clothes Estel had brought.

Her face flushed red with embarrassment and shame.
The two of them were wearing night-gowns that properly fit their personality.

In the servants quarters where males are separated from females, most of them didn't care for her clothes at all. But now she was surrounded by her friends, it's like an embarrassing secret that she wanted to keep in the closet until she was ready. Though it happened in a single moment that she was completely caught unprepared.

"I knew it, we should have been paying attention to her circumstances.
She couldn't leave the castle after all."

Leanne then allowed Estel to borrow her extra nightgown for sleep.
As she then made a special letter for Mr.Happei to make her sleep wear that fits her taste's.

________________________________________________________________________________

Still....
Writing....
I thought, they were finally outside...
The cake in my mind was a LIE!

My terrible writing continues...

37