Chapter 1: Strange Hunger
267 3 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A hot summer day, the sun sits calmly in the sky covering the earth with a warm glow. Under the sunlight a small White Fox slowly crawls its way out of its small burrow that it calls home.

 

 Today the Fox couldn’t help but take in the sun longer than usual.

 

‘Warm, Comfortable, Warm, Good’

 

The Fox had noticed that the sun felt different, the sun felt warmer, yet not uncomfortable, in fact it was even more comfortable than usual. He did not know as to what had changed but he knew that this was a good feeling.

 

After basking in the sun’s ever present glow, the Fox remembers why it had left the burrow in the first place. 

 

‘Hungry, Hungry, Very Hungry’

 

The Fox was far more hungry than it usually was, the hunger felt urgent but also not impossible to live through. Still the Fox wanted to fill it hunger quickly, just because it’s bearable doesn’t mean he wants to bear it.

 

‘Hunt, Hunt’

 

The Fox left to find something to satisfy this hunger. He sniffed the air to try to find anything to eat in the nearby area. After wandering around for close to an hour, with his patience slowly waning he caught the scent of a mouse nearby.

 

The Fox followed this scent cautiously so as to make sure it doesn’t run away as he gets close. After following the scent for close to 10 minutes he finally spots the mouse. The mouse was near its burrow, so this would have to be a swift kill.

 

The Fox got closer and closer to the mouse, making sure to make no noise. Soon he reached close enough to pounce onto the mouse. After waiting a short moment he pounced on the mouse and directly sunk its claws into the neck of the mouse, swiftly ending its chances to get away and soon taking its life as well.

 

‘Hunt, easy, Hunger, satisfy’’

 

As the Fox ate its trophy of the hunt and its hour spent trying to find it, he noticed a rather crucial problem. The mouse did nothing to satisfy the hunger he felt. He felt that his stomach was indeed being filed and that he was in fact satisfying a hunger, but this was not the hunger that was haunting it.

 

Annoyed, the Fox swiftly stopped eating and even tossed the half eaten mouse away in anger. 

 

‘Hunger, Hunger, still Hunger!’

 

Eventually He calmed down. 

 

‘Hunt, again Hunt’

 

So the journey to satisfy the hunger started again. Sniffing the air to catch the scent of any prey, soon he got a very particular scent.

 

‘New Smell, Good Smell, Want, Need’

 

Without more than a thought, the Fox swiftly took off towards the scent. All thoughts about stealth or caution were ignored in the presence of this smell. Instinctively he knew, this smell could satisfy his hunger.

 

A few moments of swift travel through the forest moving as if a ghost in the night. The Fox reached the source of the scent.

 

‘Wolf, Large, Scent, Wolf’

 

The scent was coming from a large wolf that was currently drinking from the river in front of it. The Fox was down wind so he wasn’t noticed by the wolf yet, but he knew.

 

‘Danger, Run, Run, Danger’

 

There was no chance for him to win against this wolf. The wolf was twice the size of the already large wolves that live in this forest. The scent coming off from the wolf was strong and the strength of the scent also sent a signal of danger to the Fox.

 

Just as a breeze passes the Fox bringing his scent to the Wolf, the Fox dashes away. He made no attempt at all to hide his movements and was just running for his life.

 

‘Scared, Scared, Run, Run!’

 

With complete lack of effort to direct itself back to his burrow, he just ran. Ran, ran, and ran. He hadn’t gotten more than a few feet before he heard a Very loud howl coming from behind him and Very loud steps following him.

 

‘Run, Hide, Slow, Wolf, Fast’

 

He scanned the land in front of him as he listened to the steps of the wolf that got closer and closer. The wolf would soon be close enough to rip him to pieces.

Almost as if water in a drought or rain in a desert, there was a crack in the nearby cliff face. The crack was just big enough for him to get into and far too small for the wolf to follow him in.

 

‘Safety’

 

Dashing towards the crack with all of his effort, he reached and crawled in just in time to hear a claw scrape against the rock above the crack.

 

‘Hide, Hide’

 

Despite knowing that the wolf can’t enter into the hole because of his size, the Fox still felt the need to hide on the chance that the wolf somehow made it in.seeing the crack extend deeper he traveled in until it expanded a little and he could turn around to see what the wolf was doing.

 

The Fox watched as the wolf’s claw was grinding against the flow just inside of the crack. The paw laying on the ground like a snake ready to kill whatever gets near it. The wolf had his head near the crack peering in and looking for the fox.

 

The Wolf caught sight of the Fox but then he also noticed that the Fox was too deep for him to catch it. After watching the entrance for another 3 hours, calmly watching the crack, the Wolf decided that the wait wasn’t worth it and went to find some cover from the 2 scorching suns currently in the sky.

 

‘Safe? Safe? No, no, danger’

 

The Fox felt that going out, despite the lack of the wolf nearby, was a bad idea as he felt danger just as the thought of leaving during this time. Soon he also noticed the scorching heat coming from the 2 suns in the sky and just decided that it would be best to sleep till the 1st sun goes down.

13