Chapter 20 – First Place’s Reward
4k 9 88
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Everyone, I apologize for making you wait so long. Did you enjoy your meal?” the fourth prince asked, getting some response from the crowd.

“It’s the best meal I’ve ever had, many thanks to the fourth prince.”

“Fourth Prince, you should host banquets like this regularly. I will surely come every single time.”

“Thanks for the meal, Fourth Prince.”

“I’m glad everyone is enjoying the banquet. This prince is overjoyed. I would truly love to host another banquet like this but sadly, I can not afford it. If I do so, this prince will be stricken with poverty and end up begging for money in the streets,” the fourth prince said humorously earning some laugh from the crowd.

The fourth prince cared greatly for his face but there was no need to put too much of an act, otherwise, it would only come out as fake. He had to balance everything out. Everyone who attended the banquet was a genius, surely they already know that it wasn’t easy for his pocket to host this banquet. Which was why he might as well admit the truth in a joking way. Doing so would also earn him some good points and make them feel that he was not out of their reach. Humor was such a useful thing. It can be used in so many ways.

His countenance then changed from a jesting one into a serious one as he began, “Jokes aside, it’s now time for serious business.”

Everyone immediately started paying full attention to the fourth prince. Although the feast was great, the main reason they all came here was for the Golden Dragon Election. Everything else came second.

“As you may have already known, the Golden Dragon Election is held every ten years. Every time, there are three stages in total. As for what these stages are, it’s different each time. However, right now, there are a few changes in the Golden Dragon Election. In the upcoming Golden Dragon Election, there are not only three stages, there are now five! That’s right, you heard it right. There are five stages! That means the difficulty of the Golden Dragon Election had been taken up a notch!” the fourth prince paused, giving everyone a moment to process this information.

As expected, everyone was stunned upon hearing this piece of information. It could be said that everyone in the banquet had placed high importance on the Golden Dragon Election. As such, most of them had already made their preparations for it several years in advance. To think that there was an unexpected change this year that was completely out of their expectations, they were thrown for a loop.

“Five stages, huh? Well, isn’t this interesting? The emperor sure knows how to come up with something good,” Yun Ling said in amusement.

“Three stages or five stages, it doesn’t make a difference. I’ll come out on top regardless.” Yu Shan smiled.

The crown prince did not react to this information. His father already told him some details so there was nothing to be surprised about.

Unlike the three of them, the rest weren’t as calm and easy-going. They broke out in commotion as they noisily started talking among themselves.

The fourth prince merely smiled at them and added, “Everyone, although the Golden Dragon Election had gotten significantly harder now compared to the ones before it, it’s not necessarily a bad thing.”

His words made them shut up as they started paying attention back to him again. The fact that the fourth prince said that means there was a silver lining to be found in this situation.

He paid them no mind as he continued, “We all know that anyone who gets into the top ten will receive the empire’s support. There is also a slight change to this. Anyone who gets first place in the Golden Dragon Election will have one of their requests granted by the emperor to the best of his abilities!”

Silence.

Silence filled the garden as they stared at the fourth prince blankly.

Then...

There was an uproar.

“Whoaa!”

“Seriously?! Is that true?!”

“Holy shit! This is something else!”

“I can’t believe it. Is this a dream? Can someone please slap me?”

SLAP!

“That fucking hurts! You really slapped me! I was just joking!”

“My hand hurts, it’s not a dream.”

“Motherfucker! My face hurts more! You slapped me!”

Everyone couldn't believe what they were hearing. The winner would have one request granted by His Majesty? How crazy was that? Even though it was only the winner who would receive such grace, it was enough to shock them silly. Getting into the top ten and having His Majesty's support already made them desperate, how much more this?

Even Yun Ling and Yu Shan couldn't stay still. They were also stunned after hearing this. However, they soon calmed down.

Yun Ling fell into deep thought, murmuring, “A request, huh?”

Yun Ling’s goal was to become a powerful expert that would have no equal under the heavens. If he had any request, it would be that. But that wasn't something the emperor could help him with. That depends on himself only. If anything, the only help the emperor could give him to achieve that was by giving him cultivation resources but that was already something he’d receive if he got himself into the top ten.

Yu Shan was the same. He just wanted to get stronger. The world they live in was a dog eat dog world. Who didn't want to become stronger? If you were weak, you were easily bullied. If you were strong, no one would dare to defy you. But the emperor couldn't help him directly with that.

Now that he thought about it, he didn't have any requests he could ask from the emperor. Even if he didn't get the first place, it was a given that he’d be in the top ten. He’d still receive the emperor’s support so it didn't really matter.

Nevertheless, this was still a good opportunity. They might not have a request for now but if there was something they want, later on, they could use this request and make the emperor move. It was a very tempting reward. Now, every single one of them had all the more reason to get first place in the Golden Dragon Election.

uiZ3MF8.png

Hey there guys! My good friend was kind enough to let me use his artwork as a cover for my story and I kinda feel bad because I didn't pay him or smth... I seriously don't have enough money to pay him yet hahaha.

Anyway guys, if you want to commission someone for an artwork or something else, please do consider this guy. He's really good. He also does some of the artwork of the Killer Gin game. Here's a link to his portfolio if you want to check it out https://www.artstation.com/andinova

 

88