Chapter 80: Guardian of the Monastery
376 0 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Biron Monastery was a large temple built in the mountain. Though they were still far from it, the large entrance made it easier for them to spot it. Not to mention the fact that Biron Monastery was built on top of the hill. Dyne could see a river that ran under the large marble entrance, which also served as a bridge. Knowing about the in-game map, Dyne knew that this river would run through the mountain and reach the Ancient Caves that connected Drake Continent to the Second map, Sebucus Islands.

Tetsu took out the primitive telescope that Dyne asked Farlay to craft and was relieved as he scanned the surrounding area. There were no signs of dead people or battles around, which could prove the truth that Dyne had been vouching for since he revealed this area's existence.

Biron Monastery was safe, and there were survivors inside.

Dyne’s expression, however, was sour.

“Did the Basilisk go under here?” Dyne looked at the river that ran under the mountain.

“I have to praise the game developers of Legaia. They were really accurate in making this game!” Strafe suddenly voiced out.

“What do you mean?”

“The problem is creating a world from a game, was that if the game were unrealistic, it would pose problems for the game. But not with Legaia. Rim Elm could survive because it had a food and water supply. Although their desalting process is crude, it’s still possible to survive. But if Biron Monastery did not have an underground river passing through it, then the people there would be unlikely to survive.”

“I get it… But this river must be the reason why that Basilisk headed north. I’m almost sure that you won’t tell me why.”

“You’re pretty smart. You figure it out.”

Dyne shook his head and began to think.

“Is there something amiss, Lord Dyne?” Meta asked, sensing Dyne’s expression.

“The Basilisk. It might have moved here. I’m not sure what its goal is, but it could have used the river to get in or through Biron.” Dyne explained.

Tetsu and Vahn’s expressions changed.

“For now, let’s not worry. I doubt it planned to attack Biron. It was trying to build an army to take this place. I’m guessing that attacking Biron is no easy task.”

“Lord Dyne, may I ask why you are confident that the Basilisk will not attack Biron? Its powers were so strong that it even petrified you!” Meta asked.

“I don’t think it’s something that it could do at ease. It was a soul attack, which means it used its own Soul. This means that the Monks in Biron are strong enough to repel it.”

“That’s how many the survivors are?” Tetsu was shocked.

“It’s not just the survivors. You see if I’m right, and the fans that I saw when I was passing here ought to be strong enough to push away the Mist.”

Meta was silent at first. But her curiosity got the best of her.

“Lord Dyne, the FANS that YOU SAW?” Meta asked, emphasizing certain words.

Dyne recalled that only Tetsu didn’t know about Dyne’s “true past.”

When Dyne awakened Meta, he told her that he was someone outside the world. Dyne even told Vahn that the past he revealed to the villagers was fake.

“I should learn to list down my lies. I forgot Meta and Vahn knew about my true history."

Dyne rubbed his forehead to organize his thoughts. He didn’t want to tell Meta that she is based on a video game.

“It’s like this. Strafe gave me a vision earlier about the state of Biron. This was why I was so keen on eliminating the Basilisk’s frog and ostrich army. So the FANS that I SAW when I was passing through here from Sol may have had the ability to blow away all the Mist.” Dyne answered, putting emphasis on certain words to hint to Meta and Vahn what he meant.

Vahn nodded in understanding.

“I understand.” Meta also answered as her confusion was clarified.

“I don’t follow, Master Dyne. Why would the Basilisk fear Biron Monastery?”

“Think of it this way, Tetsu. You’ve been in Rim Elm, but your own body cultivation was hindered because of the Mist, correct? You should be twice or maybe even three times stronger than your current strength?”

“Yes. My body has long been emptied. I have lost all the energy in my Force Foundation these past years.” Tetsu answered.

“The effects of the Mist are doubly dangerous to body cultivators. In Legaia, only your sect could be considered powerful body cultivators. Of course, no one needed it because there was the Serus. But when the Mist appeared, the Life energy that you could achieve through meditation ran out because of the thick death in the air. Normal humans would feel weaker, but for cultivators, it meant that their strength was robbed. That’s why even though you must have already found ways to expel the death energy on your body, there was still…” Dyne shivered as he recalled the amount of icky black slimy stuff that emerged from Tetsu.

“I- I see.” Tetsu took over to change the memory that Dyne was recollecting.

“It is as you say. I- erm… was stunned by my cleansing. So you mean to say that the Mist does greater harm to the body? I know that it weakened the Hunters physically. But to think it was this deadly!”

“Not surprising since it is Death energy. But Biron Monastery never had this problem. They had a fan that could blow away the Mist. Although their meditation would be weakened due to having lesser Life Energy, they did not have the energy-robbing effect of the Mist, and you can replace Life energy with monsters. The monsters outside have grown stronger because of the Mist, and the Monks who would spend most of their time inside the temple and only go out to hunt and probably hunt in the rotation would have energy in their Force Foundation. Haven’t you been getting stronger because of the meals I cook? The body of the monsters will naturally release Life energy because of that death and life and life and death thing that Strafe kept talking about.”

“Life in death?” Vahn asked.

Dyne then quickly explained the concept of life and death energy as Calamity neared Biron Monastery. Dyne tried to explain it as simply as he could and even took in deep breathes because of the speed and how he didn’t pause for questions.

“You mean the Yin-Yang?” Tetsu asked.

Dyne glared at the sky. Strafe could have said that he named it Yin Yang in this world to save Dyne time in explaining things.

“Yes. Yin Yang. The monsters are Yang creatures, but Yin or life is inside of them. Just as how you were strengthened by the food I cook, so were these Monks."

Dyne recalled that there was someone in Biron Monastery who could cook amazing dishes that could fully heal the team. Dyne knew that there must be something amazing with the food being served in Biron.

"It’s probably just as effective as your meditation. So can the Basilisk deal with all the Monks? No. Even if he used its petrifying power, there would still be too many survivors that could fight and kill him.” Dyne explained.

“But how sure are we that the Basilisk can only do his petrification a few times?”

“Simple. Why did it wait a few days before he moved? I mean, he just lost his army. If he was going to make his move, why didn’t the Basilisk immediately move out? The answer, he was probably too tired and had to rest. And that’s also why the Basilisk didn’t chase after the Zenoir or me when we escaped.” Dyne explained.

“I see…” Meta finally understood Dyne’s point.

“This new era of the Mist has also changed Biron Monastery. There could be experts here who are following on the footsteps of Biron. I believe that’s why the Basilisk didn’t dare attack just yet.” Dyne added.

“I see. In any case, this is good!” Tetsu answered in relief.

“I’m guessing the Basilisk went up north. He must have been gathering more soldiers in the forest beyond this place.” Dyne explained.

“Alright. Before we go in, remember our prepared lies. Tieg has already shown me that a traitor, an evil man, lies in Biron. We must not let them see the power of the Ra-Seru… At least, not now.”

Dyne began to paint Vahn’s arm and Meta with the remaining white paint he got.

“Tetsu, you take the lead. Remember, I am a young kid you rescued floating down the river. You can tell them about my past as a kid in Sol. Tell them I escaped, I tamed a Slime and fed it, and this helped us survive. But the hideout that we were staying at, near Drake Castle, was attacked by the Serus. We used a boat we found near Drake and used it to cross the river. But the streams were too strong, and we ended up on this side. It was here that we met the Basilisk by chance, and Vahn almost got petrified.”

“I will remember your arrangements, Master Dyne.”

“And quit calling me, Master Dyne. Remember, I am your disciple. So treat me as such.”

Tetsu had a strange look at Dyne. With how amazing Dyne was, he could easily be the Patriarch of Biron Monastery! Tetsu decided to avoid calling Dyne his disciple if possible.

Meta and Grim were already painted with the white color that Dyne found. Tetsu and Vahn marveled at Dyne’s skill in painting. As one of the best soldiers for battle and espionage, making disguises like this was easy for Dyne.

Soon, they reached the large marble bridge that had tall stairs leading to Biron Monastery's entrance. The group climbed it and could see hear the loud fans that continued to blow strong winds.

Tetsu saw it and wanted to run inside, but suddenly, Dyne held him back.

“Master Tetsu! We may need to change our excuses.” Dyne’s expression was shocked. He kept looking at a certain direction.

“Master Dyne?” Vahn asked.

“Let’s change the excuse for Vahn. Let’s make it that the Seru possessed him in the Mist. When we were fleeing, the Basilisk unleashed its power, petrifying the Seru on Vahn’s arm. This allowed him to be free from possession.” Dyne explained.

“Why?” Tetsu asked.

“If the Basilisk can petrify a Seru, it can do so even with Soul Cultivators. Someone in there will surprise us with the level of Soul cultivation he has. I can feel great power behind those doors.” Dyne explained as he couldn’t help but smirk.

“Master Tetsu, release all the soul energy you have,” Dyne spoke.

Tetsu pondered for a bit but immediately channeled all the soul energy that he could Spirit, and his soul power leaked out.

Deep inside Biron Monastery, an elderly man donning black robes with a red vest and red belt was meditating inside. Unlike most Monks who shaved their heads, this man had long hair.

He opened his eyes and frowned.

“Are you human?” A telepathic message raced out of the mountain and was heard by Tetsu.

Tetsu was startled. He knew this voice.

“I am the guardian of this Monastery. I ask you again. Are you human?”

“Core Disciple Tetsu, greets Monastery Guardian, Master Kin!” Tetsu gave a bow as he answered.

If you have the Webnovel app, check out my other works, New Game+ (370+ chapters) or my WSA webnovel entry, Ascension of the Nephilim (60+ chapters)
If you want more Nostalgic Gamer, go to my patreon page Rapture_Tales for chapters up to 160!

16