Chapter 186: Grim’s Lightning
110 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Chocobos raced towards Dyne at full speed. Their bodies were covered with Spirit, yet these birds could run.

Monstrous Cultivator! That’s an advanced creature! Their bloodline must be so strong! Calamitus lied! He sent more than just that dark creature here!” Strafe realized what was happening.

Dyne brought out one of the small wizard ores and held it in one hand, while Grim was tightly clutched on the other.

Jedo! Create a dimensional portal to that location!”

It’s not going to be stable.”

I know. I’ll purge the dimension to blink there!” Dyne stabbed Grim down on the floor and kicked up the dirt.

A portal opened as the dirt appeared, and Dyne jumped inside.

He stepped into the folded space and sent his Brimstone energy to purge the pathway like he did when Calamitus used his powers to communicate with Dyne through the book.

Dyne stepped forward and jumped into the portal. He recalled the ability that Ashton had in Star Ocean 2. And while Ashton didn’t have the power of teleportation, that skill allowed him to blink right across the battlefield.

The space folded, and Dyne traveled across the folded space. The dust that he kicked up had fallen and revealed he wasn’t there.

The Chocobos were amazed, and all slowed in their charge as they began to search around.

FWIP! FWIP! FWIP!

Arya began to shoot at the group.

KWEH!” The chocobos shouted together, and the combined force of their shout created a shockwave.

Spirit in their shouts?!” Terra was horrified.

Leaf Slash!” Dyne shouted as he appeared right behind a Chocobo and swung Grim towards the neck.

Grim’s scythe slashed down, and the full power of WOW! was displayed,

The Chocobo turned its head towards where Dyne was. But even as the attack approached, the Chocobo didn’t even retreat his head but charged it right towards Grim’s blade.

BANG!

A strange blue force field appeared around the Chocobo, and an explosion erupted because of WOW!

Dyne was flying back from the impact while the Chocobo stood its ground.

One of the chocobos still running forward used his two legs to stomp on the ground and did a backflip. The large legs of the Chocobo were aiming for Dyne.

The rest did an expert maneuver of doing a pivot as they ran.

Dyne landed on the ground and saw the Chocobo doing a backflip. He casually took a step back as another portal opened up and brought him to the other side of the battlefield.

BANG!

The legs of the Chocobo dug deep into the ground from the backflip. The attack contained spirit.

I can only do that bink two more times. I have only so much Time/Space soul energy to do those tricks.” Jedo reminded.

I know. Those chocobos are using their Spirit and are manifesting a force field!” Dyne watched as the chocobos began to attack the previous spot where he was. Any second later, he would have been attacked by the group.

Dyne could see the crushing tackle of each Chocobo. However, the force field prevented each Chocobo from harming each other.

The group of Chocobos turned angrily and looked at Dyne at the other end, although the force field seemed to have lost its effect.

The Chocobos began to raise and flap their wings, and soon, wild electric energy began to fill their body.

Calamitus is insane! Those Chocobos aren’t normal! Look! All over them! There are strange rocks attached that shouldn’t be part of their body!”

It’s equipped with an altered Seru. It should be those Theeders that the Piuras stole. It looks like the Wild Arm must have gained intelligence and managed to command the Piuras. It's probably that Wild Arm caused these Piuras to evolve into Chocobos and wear those altered Serus. How else could they do that?”

I suggest running away. We can’t fight those near Martial Formation monsters with Spirit and ARM Serus. We could escape from this place with my powers.” Jedo added.

Hmm… About that.”

What?”

This is a secret dungeon. Calamitus understands gamers. But his crazy sadistic side is showing. I have a choice now.”

A choice?”

Return here when I’m stronger or fight now.”

Should you leave?” Jedo asked.

If I do return, the number of Chocobos will increase, and the enemies will be so much more. And there's a chance that there will be the Blue and Black Chocobo. Or a green one if there is such a thing as a Green Piura. We don’t know how much these birds have changed, but the Chocobo and the Piuras are no longer the ones in the game. The difficulty of these secret quests becomes harder the longer I wait. Right now, those are the weaker ARM serus. But what if I return and they already are equipped with real serus? If I’m to guess, Calamitus might combine the Junction System of Final Fantasy VIII with these monstrous cultivators!”

He’s right. Calamitus is giving you sidequest but is forcing you to take it immediately.” Strafe added.

Then I guess we are fighting. This is also good.” Jedo replied.

Oh? You seem excited.” Dyne asked.

Those ARM Seru on the Chocobos... It’s like granting life to a dead Seru. It might help me find a way to revive Yami!”

Ah… Love.” Dyne chuckled.

The Chocobos didn’t attack but grouped and began to flap their wings. The strange rock ornaments around their body that looked like the parts of a Theeder began to crackle with electricity.

Those… Chocobos are crackling with lightning… How are you supposed even to fight that?” Jedo asked.

Jedo. Harness dark energy on Grim. Darkness has that ability called devour, right?”

Yeah. So?”

Keep it around Grim and absorb as much as it can. Grim. It’s about time you learn the lightning element.” Dyne smiled.

Grim began to glow a strange heat, and even Jedo could tell that Grim was excited.

Lightning?! Is it possible?”

Why not? Grim’s been with me on several crazy missions and received the same amount of upgrades, especially when you awakened Yami. He is more resilient thanks to the Mist that was devoured there. He’s a step away from becoming a level three Gimard! He has been constantly exposed to Brimstone and already has holy! Why not grab the next element in his family?”

It seems possible,” Strafe added.

Those lightning energy isn’t as strong as a real Theeder’s lightning. Nothing beats the original. That Theeder is modified and killed. But it is a weak copy.” Strafe analyzed.

And I happen to be a master controller who can weave through the elements.” So Dyne harnessed the element of Darkness from Jedo.

Strafe’s soul trembled as he heard it. It was only now that he realized who Dyne was.

Master…” Strafe remembered her master who went with the title of the Weaver.”

Dyne ran forward and gripped Grim, who transformed into its spear form. Then, he began to channel more and more energy from the Monster Hive to cast Diggin! again.

The earth energy appeared covered Dyne and became thicker. Even Grim was enveloped in this strange earthen energy.

ZAP!

The lightning energy of the Chocobos went wild as if the energy was being drained from their ARMS Serus. The dark powers of Jedo continued to devour it, but as the energy of Yami was not enough to thoroughly eat away everything, a greater percentage attacked Dyne and Grim.

Lightning began to course around Dyne’s body, and the earth's energy was slowly crumbling at the power.

Gyoro and Ururun bore the lightning attack and aided Dyne in bearing the weight of the attack.

Jedo! Release the power of your Time and assimilate it with Lightning!” Dyne ordered.

But we can’t teleport if I do that!”

Do it!” Dyne answered firmly.

And so, Jedo poured out the energy of Time into the charging lightning.

Lightning was unlike fire that burned and consumed. It was concentrated energy that led to disintegration. But as the power of Time appeared and covered the Lighting, another Element came as a result.

Dyne channeled his Brimstone energy to balance the appearance of Time. At that moment, Strafe saw the powers of his Master.

The Weaver of Elements… So this is why Basileos Basileon sent him! He is the one that can walk on the path my Master walked on!” Strafe was amazed. Dyne was wielding several Elements. And they were even in opposition to each other.

The Chocobos noticed that Dyne was able to resist.

KWEH!” The leading Chocobo cried, and the power of lightning intensified.

As the lightning attack intensified, Dyne began to harness it and help Grim gather the energy and push it towards the soul of Grim. The fire was present. Holy was also there. Brimstone gathered, and Lightning was added into the element.

And finally, some of the lightning that mixed with Time/Space powers and was guided with Brimstone turned into the elemenstal power of Entropy.

He’s…! He’s making Grim form an Elemental Soul Seed?!” Strafe finally realized what was happening,

The insane idea that only Dyne could pull off was happening before him.

Slowly, a dark red gem began to appear in the middle part of Grim’s body.

Terra watched it and was amazed.

How?! That’s impossible!” Terra exclaimed.

Terra? What’s going on?” Noa asked.

Lord Dyne…! He’s…! He’s making a Ra-Seru!”

Dyne, however, was excited for a different reason.

Grim! Bear it! Bear it all! Your goal is to have an Elemental Soul Seed closer to Lightning!” Dyne ordered.

Strafe and Jedo heard Dyne’s desire and were bewildered.

You will be… my Staff of Oblivion! So bear it! It’s time to create the Heart of Nox!”

More info about the Staff of Oblivion next chapter. But of course, those who played the game could guess what nostalgic game this is. 

6