Chapter 16: The meeting with Bejamin Bitander
18 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Julian and Lucy held their breaths as a suited man, Benjamin Bitander, walked down the stairs. He was very clean-shaven, wearing a polo and dress pants and adjusting a watch on his wrist. His brown hair came to a widow's peak and perfectly white teeth shone in the light as he smiled and shook Julian's hand. "Julian Iridione! A pleasure honestly. My kids love your most recent movie so when I heard you had info on this wonderful ancient arrow! I just had to accept the offer! Julian smiles, "Thank you, sir, the honour is all mine. This is my friend Lucy. She is also quite knowledgeable in the arrow as we did a...project! Yes-school project on it!" 

Benjamin turns around, seemingly not noticing the small blunder Julian pulled, and led them to his living room where the arrow was resting on a stand right above his fireplace. The glass windows providing an excellent view of the boulevard and bay beyond. Benjamin seemed to gain a childlike excitement as he approached, "This is personally my favourite of all my little trinkets!" He says gesturing to the living room, sure enough, many ancient and antique objects. From old phones and a morse code receiver. To an old vase which a card reads, "Sumeria ~2000BC" Turning back to the arrow Benjamin puts on a rubber glove and carefully removes it from its stand, "I managed to earn it 4 years ago at an auction for 150,000 dollars! It is so mysterious all people know is that it was found in Greenland and worshipped by ancient tribesmen there!" He reached out to hand it to Julian, "Careful on the tip. Despite its apparent age it has never rusted nor dulled. I've heard more than one person has cut themselves on that edge. Luckily I've been very careful and use this glove to avoid anything."

Julian and Lucy looked at each other before Julian grabbed the arrow and inspected it. "Well, they are correct. They were originally from Greenland and used in ceremonies by natives there but the story delves deeper...you may want to take a seat for this one." Benjamin was more than happy to oblige as he got some drinks for the 3 of them and sat them down on his couch in the living room. The arrow between them resting on the stand as Julian and Lucy recited the history of the arrows. Some exaggerations and assumptions were made as, to be honest, the 2 of them collectively knew not much but they made sure to keep the point of the story. Benjamin sat there, his face understanding and intrigued. Julian kept going, speaking about how those pricked by the arrow can acquire Stands, a manifestation of ones fighting spirit which can interact with the physical world but physical people cannot interact with them. All the while Benjamin Bitander continued to sit there in silence, sipping his coffee. When Julian finished Benjamin simply sat his cup down and chuckled a bit, "Wow...that is indeed an interesting story you two. These...fighting spirits definitely sound interesting. I could about imagine this would be used by natives before battle. I'm not surprised others were found but you say they were found from an asteroid impact? You make these legends sound so real I almost believed them for a second myself!"

Julian's mouth fell open at Benjamin's comment. Realizing the man completely missed the point he decided to just be direct with him, "Well sir. We say these 'legends' as if they are true because they are. They really found from a fallen asteroid and when you get pricked you really do get Stands, the fighting spirit made real." Benjamin laughed, nonsense! What you try to explain is like magic, believe me, I would like nothing more than for it to be true but alas!" Julian shook his head, "No no! It is sir! You see...I, and Lucy here, are both stand users! and 2 days from now other stand users are going to break into your house to steal that arrow for themselves! I know it sounds crazy but if you want to believe us just use the arrow on yourself!" Lucy grabbed Julian's arm to sit him down, realizing he stood up Julian's face turns red as he sits back down, "Mr. Bitander I'm sorry for Julian's rashness but he is speaking the truth. I wish there was a to prove it without involving you using the arrow on your self but you must believe us! We only wish for your safety!"

Benjamin's smile vanished at their comments, "Are you trying to pull some kind of prank on me? You two are being ridiculous. Was anything you just told me true? Or was it all some elaborate prank relating to dead religions and priceless artifacts! He grabbed the stand and gently put the arrow back on its shelf. "I am honestly ashamed Mr. Iridione. I thought you were more mature than this...I think it's about time you both went." Julian stood up at Lucy behest, "No Mr. Bitander we tell the truth! We managed to find research on this arrow and went through the effort of figuring out who bought it to warn them of this! Why would we do that for a prank!" but Benjamin Bitander was no longer listening as he was ushering them out the door. Right before he closed it Julian quickly said, "When they come for you! Use the arrow! It's the only way you can defend yourself!" Benjamin looked at him one more time before closing the door on them.

"DAMN!" Julian called out as the 2 walked down to the street to meet with Aaryn and Evan, "I understand I may have sounded a bit crazy but I would've thought we were convincing enough to at least make him think about it." 

"Your loud voice and standing up probably didn't help matters though," Lucy responded.

Meeting with Aaryn and Evan. The 4 walked back defeated to grab food at Lorenzo's before waiting for the next day to come up with a defense plan with Alexander. For if Benjamin Bitander does not heed their advice, even out of curiosity and the enemies manage to get the arrow.

~~~~

The next evening arrived the 5 were seated at Lorenzo's, asking the man for privacy, and with Aaryn an employee there helping out the old man when he needs it Lorenzo allowed them to meet in the employee break room they were discussing how best to go about the operation. Deciding who would stay back to watch the rear and who would move in front-line. Not knowing how many J&J would send they had to be prepared for anything. Even Alexander said he would participate, even if it ended up breaking his cover. "So Alexander, Lucy, and I will go in first? Julian and Evan will watch the streets from them. Julian can use MFN to stop them from running and the street can provide ample room for Crazy You to do its thing." Alexander nodded and pulled out his laptop, "Sounds fine to me, the sooner I can learn what type of stand users we are dealing with the sooner I can be of active help." opening his laptop he began typing away activating his encryption code, "I just want to double-check the messages running through the organization about time, maybe we can see from what direction they may be attacking from." He checked his computer some more and typed at it before he gasped and quickly shut his laptop. Stuffing it into his backpack he seemed near hyperventilation as he began incessantly mumbling to himself, "Alexander! Alexander! What is it!" Aaryn asked him, "W-we...We were such fools! I don't know how it may have been entirely my fault maybe they saw something on the night we intercepted Alberto but we were such fools!"

Everyone was standing up at this point as Evan got Alexander a glass of water to drink and calm down. After taking a few breaths Alexander explained, "We expected this to be tomorrow correct? Well, I was looking through the messages and I started seeing messages of a possible mole in the plan. Due to Alberto's interception. Only today just now was it revealed they lied to him! Despite the trust, they lied to him and planned for the invasion tonight! That post kicked off their operation! We were such fools to not expect such a thing! We need to go now! Mr. Bitander may already be in danger!"

Everyone burst into action. Their plans only haphazardly made and thought out they rushed out of Lorenzos, promising to pay later as they dashed to Russian Hill. They could already see scenes of destruction from the bottom as Aaryn and Lucy dashed up followed close behind by Alexander and Julian, the latter would watch the opposing side of the house for anyone. When they reached the Bitander Household simple destruction awaited them, Lucy recognized the dead body of the housemaid right outside the door. Resisting the urge to throw up the 3 slowly walked into the house. Inside the view of a fight was so apparent. Furniture and debris were everywhere. The windows were all shattered and the valuable antiques scattered all over the floor. Alexander began investigating the scene immediately as Aaryn and Lucy walked towards the living room. The table and couch were in pieces. On top of the broken table were a bloodied Benjamin Bitander and a woman unmoving on top of him, at the sound of noise Benjamins eyes slowly opened and he began coughing up blood. Aaryn quickly rushed over and trying to avoid the smell of death moved the woman off him to prop him up. He looked over at Aaryn, then at Lucy and he closed his eyes, "I'm...sorry...." He coughed and tried to hold up a hand to Lucy, "They came...2 of them...my wife..." He looks over at the body of the woman, "A man reached out, and then...she just tried to stab me..." His closed again and his last words were barely a whisper, "I used the arrow though...it was...beautiful..." With those last words, he did one final exhale and became unmoving. Aaryn gently set the man down. He didn't even have to look around to know the arrow was gone! It couldn't have been too long though if Mr. Bitander hadn't died yet! They could still be close by. 

Aaryn stood up and brought out Lounge Act, Lounge Act cried out and punched the fireplace. "Lucy...Alexander...Let's get these bitches."

To be continued...

0