Forced Departure (2)
82 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hrmm.”

 

As the rain falls onto the ground in front of Viran, a low rough grunt is heard behind Viran. Shifting his attention to his supposed magic teacher Viran shows his expression filled with grief and one of pain. Staring at the old man the tears dropping down Viran’s eyes slow down as he thinks of what to say to Sir Leonard.

 

When Viran’s eyes are clear he looks at the distinct wrinkled face of the old man standing opposite of him in the rain. Viran has no words as he begins to wipe his umber hair out of his eyes and begins to walk away from Sir Leonard.

 

“Hrmm. Renault left the estate already. He is to be fined and stripped of his Knighthood as well.” The aged voice echoes clearly through Viran’s ears.

 

The feet of Viran stops as shock fills the entirety of his expression. Viran’s mouth is agape as he tries repeatedly to find words to say, but nothing comes out. His mouth slowly opens and closes while he begins to stumble closer to Sir Leonard. Blood is still flowing from Viran’s chin yet his appearance does nothing to change the apathy shown by Sir Leonard.

 

Viran grabs his shaking hands. His eyes staring at the wet, muddy ground. Slowly a small squeaky voice disturbs the silence between the two individuals and the pouring rain.

 

“...Why…?” 

 

Viran clearly understood that the kind of punishment his Father had dealt out was essentially a deathwish. Being fired directly by Lord Idicium practically forbade any employment in any other Lords in the entirety of the Empire. The stripping of his knighthood is enough for all of his past acquaintances to now turn their backs on him. Only organizations or people dealing in the underworld would be willing to take in Sir Renault, but he was already decades past his prime and would likely not be taken in. Sir Renault himself had lived his life in a Knight Order that preached virtue and kindness, that upbringing made Sir Renault hate crime to its very core.

 

Sir Leonard takes in a deep sigh as he points his hand towards Viran and a cool breeze shoots into Viran. The dripping blood that Viran had ignored this whole time finally stops and in shock Viran grabs his face to check for any remaining marks. Sir Leonard rolls his eyes witnessing these actions from Viran before speaking in his raspy, ancient voice.

 

“Hrmm. Sir Renault taught you that’s why. Do you think everyone here actually hates you? You’re only an eight year old boy that’s quiet.” Sir Leonard looks around before speaking. “They’re only following orders. Your Father is the one that orders the servants not to get close with you… Or for us to teach you magic.”

 

Sir Leonard’s face shows a reluctant expression as he says this. His blue robes sway as he turns around before uttering one last time, as though his voice was the passing wind.

 

“If anything we actually pity you… Hrmm.”

 

Looking as the thin figure walks away into the house next door Viran’s hands eventually release. His hands shoot up to cover his face as the entirety of his body begins to shake once more. Dread and grief rose higher in Viran’s mind as he blamed himself for everything that happened.

 

Viran didn’t know where Sir Renault would be leaving to, nor did he know where he would go. Viran didn’t know what he should do next. Sir Renault would serve as an example for others, and Viran would never have someone as reliable as Sir Renault again. The dread begins to surface on Viran’s face and his thoughts begin to race faster and faster. Finally it all releases into one conclusion Viran had made.

 

“This is my fault.”

Earlier in the day a tanned, feeble old man is waiting not far away from his trusted pupils residence. A simple garb was cloaked around him as he sat down waiting for the inevitable to happen. The old man was Sir Renault and ever since he had chosen to take Viran under his wing, he knew he would have little time to teach the talented boy fully.

 

The man stiffens as he sees Viran being pulled along by Gregory forcefully as they leave the residence. Standing up forcefully, Sir Renault walks towards the building and slowly opens the wooden door. The old man opens his robes wide revealing an old book, and slowly reaches in. Tightly grabbing the book a fierce reluctance grips Sir Renault, and a deep sigh escapes from his lips.

 

Sir Renault had thought of giving this book to Viran ever since seeing his true potential, but the very act of doing it gripped his heart. Sir Renault had no family left to leave his belongings too and had never had a child. He had little money to his name as well having donated it all to the Knight Order before he left and became Viran’s teacher.

 

The tightened grip slips once more in front of the old man’s eyes as his body stiffens. Sir Renault and Viran had known each other for only a week, but the aged Knight had a wish to see Viran soar and become a talented man for the Empire. Sir Renault had only gone out of his way to help Viran out of pity. Sir Renault had empathy, as he once was sold to the Knight Order by his own Family. Yet he never once could stop himself from loving them. But besides the pity he felt, the potential and talent Viran shows had aroused a feeling in Sir Renault. Sir Renault had wanted to be the one to nurture the talented young boy, and leave a mark on the world he knew he would be departing from soon. 

 

Standing up he breathes out and quickly leaves the residence and heads towards his Lord’s residence. He had been called upon by Lord Idicium, and he knew his time as Viran’s teacher would be ending very soon. His feet stamp upon the ground as his indignation grows with every step, he so wished he could stay and urge Viran into the right direction and into a more respectable man. Sir Renault had thought that Viran was not sociable enough and had no backbone, and he wished he could kick Viran back into shape. Under his tutelage, Sir Renault was sure that Viran would become a pillar of the Southern Domain if not for the entire Empire.

 

Walking into the courtyard of the main residence Sir Renault can see the glances of the servants that passed by him. Many were pitiful, while some were even mocking him. With a shake of his head, Sir Renault waves off the thought of knocking heads since he already had little to lose and begins to walk into the building. Arriving in front of the study of his Lord, the Lord that would forcefully tear away Sir Renault from his pupil.

 

A light knocking on the door sounds off and with a confirmation, Sir Renault walks in undeterred by the frightening aura Lord Idicium gives off immediately. Urging his immediate fears away Sir Renault walks into the study and gives a firm greeting to the Lord.

 

“Greetings My Lord, I have come as you wished.”

 

A light bow of his head and his hand grasping firmly over his chest was considered a perfect greeting from a Knight towards their Lord, but still elicited no movement nor words from the frightening Lord. Looking around Sir Renault sees the attendant Spion standing in the corner who also acted as the tutor for Gregory. Though Sir Renault was inquisitive towards his presence and was about to inquire, the harsh voice of his Lord cuts him off.

 

“I gave an explicit order for you to not let Viran learn anything. I gave you plenty of wealth for this and your own residence in my estate.” A harsh glare stabs into Sir Renault. “Yet you cannot even do this?”

 

Sir Renault quickly shrugs off the glare and begins to speak in his defense.

 

“My Lord, Viran has an incredible talent in swordsmanship! I fear I couldn’t stand and not nurture his growth! My Lord I don’t know what your plans are for Viran exactly, but we both know that we need someone with as much talent as Viran to be raised with his greatest potential in mind. I have personally seen Gregory’s training and he has considerable talent as well but Viran was born to be a swordsman! He could easily become the Grandmaster of a Knight Order were you to raise him properly!"

 

The ramblings of Sir Renault quickly pique the interest of the originally apathetic Spion in the corner, but nothing was aroused in the heart of Lord Idicium. Sir Renault had become unsettled by this appearance, as though Lord Idicium had no care in the world concerning his own child’s future. While catching his breath, Spion beside him speaks out as well.

 

“Hmm I get that you see him as truly talented- but how does that give you the right to expressly disobey your Lord’s wishes? Ignoring the blatant disrespect you just showed as well, it seems you don't seem to realize your place."

 

Hearing this Sir Renault clenches his hands fiercely as he tries to rein in his anger. Sir Renault didn’t know Spion that well, but the fact that he was opposing his arguments in place of their Lord angered him much.

 

“Don’t speak when I am talking directly to our Lord.” A fierce glint in Sir Renault’s eyes shines as he speaks.

 

“Oh so now you wish to be a heckler for rules and etiquette Sir Renault? I certainly do wish you had the same thoughts in mind when before you began to teach Viran, disobeying your Lord in the process.” Spion says with a small shrug of his shoulders.

 

"Hah! You're just some mercenary from the North. I don't want a simple mercenary after only money to talk to me about respect and disobedience." Sir Renault's narrow further as he yells louder at Spion.

 

At this point the hands of Lord Idicium tighten and he begins to lose his patience with his attendants. Spion on the other hand begins to enjoy the argument and a grin begins to grow on his face further as he spats out.

 

"Wow, Sir Renault you've done your research on me it seems." Spion turns towards his Lord and speaks. "My Lord may I ask to increase the fine towards Sir Renault to 456 gold?"

 

Hearing the oddly specific number of gold a crease forms on Sir Renault's brow as he attempts to rein in his anger. The number was specific for a reason and was used by Spion to make fun of Sir Renault. Decades ago when Renault was seven years old, he was sold to the Knight Order for a sum of 456 gold.

 

Hearing these words spoken by Spion makes Sir Renault's fists tighten up and his body begins to shake. As Sir Renault is about to lose control and strike Spion, the words of Lord Idicium echo out through the ears of Sir Renault.

 

"You'll be given a fine of 456 gold. You'll be evicted from your residence on my estate, and you'll no longer be able to communicate with Viran ever again. If you do you'll be executed." A small breath of exasperation leaks through the teeth of Lord Idicium as he says the final verdict. "You'll no longer attain the title of "Sir" and you'll now be known as a common person. My verdict is effective immediately."

 

The apathy displayed on Lord Idicium's face was burned into the brown eyes of Renault. Spion's mockery towards Renault's plight would be remembered until his final breath.

 

The tanned chest of Renault tightens and his breathing becomes stagnant. Renault's expression was beget by grief, and controlled by pain. The indignation that had consistently grown throughout the day had finally exploded, and Renault was doomed to never recover past this point. His only wish was to nurture a new genius into the world, yet the consequences left him with nothing.

 

Renault quietly gathered his things, and left the estate. Only turning back once, in reminisce.

3