Gratitude for a mentor, but not for a friend.
83 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The rain had stopped many days ago, yet the icy rain still felt real, having been seared into Viran's mind. It had been a week since Renault’s departure, and Viran sits alone listlessly in his room. Viran hadn’t had dinner for the past week due to the bet and he had only ever left his room once to greet his new teacher. Viran hadn’t even bothered to remember the man's name, from a single glance Viran could tell his new teacher had disdain for him.

 

A deep sigh echos out through the room as Viran sits up. His body had become fatigued due to his becoming of a hermit and Viran’s very fingers felt weak and helpless. Viran had just woken up and it was already past noon, and it took a considerable effort for Viran to even remember the date. Viran’s eyes narrowed as he realized the Week of Unity was quickly approaching, and with that also came his ninth birthday.

 

Viran falls onto his feet as he leaves the bed and walks to his dresser. On top of the dresser is the book Renault had left him, the contents almost completely etched into the mind of Viran. Throughout the entire week Viran had spent almost all of that time crying to himself… But other than that his time was spent immersed in the book he had been left with and cultivating his mana. The tattered novel had a sober appearance, but it was truly a vault of knowledge for Viran. Through spending hours on end focusing on the book, Viran had learned new things about mana and magic as a whole.

 

Spell manuals were explained quite intensely in the book for example. A spell manual was used by many augmenters and mages alike to learn more specific spells. Due to every person having a different set of roots in their body, every spell was different and spell manuals that detailed specific spells were used to help fine-tune the use of spells. An augmenter could, sometimes, subconsciously use mana to give them an eyesight comparable to hawks, yet through the use of a spell manual they would be able to make the use of mana more efficient and make the spell better by leaps and bounds. The development of making a spell suitable for a person was mostly guess work, and a spell manual would help lessen that factor of guessing.

 

The guesswork related to the creation or improvement of spells have harsh effects themselves. Spell manuals were a much coveted commodity no matter where you went.

 

Innate gifts were explained in great detail as well. Throughout someone's life there were few chances to ever have an innate gift. With most people either being bestowed a gift on their Day of Awakening from the Divines, or are born with an innate gift.

 

The complexities of magic were a wondrous thing for the eternally ignorant boy. Though being able to realize the complexities behind the theories labeled throughout the book in only a week was a very reputable action, especially due to Viran's recent introduction to magic itself.

 

Sighing deeply to himself Viran rubbed the rough cover of the book in contemplation. He had felt he grew leaps and bounds underneath Renault and as of yet the question remained for which direction he would go in, now that the old man is no longer there. For the entire week Viran had learned many wonderful things from his first real teacher, and that week they had spent together laid down the path for which Viran would find for himself. But Viran was still only an eight year old and had no guidance from those much wiser.

 

Viran's fingers pinch the spine of the book and he feels the rough texture between his fingers, his eyes soften soon after. Though the path was faint, Viran knew which direction to go into now.

 

The signs of an awakening determination shows on the face of Viran, and within minutes Viran finally leaves his room.

Days pass once more and the Idicium estate, on the surface, remains unfazed by the recent expulsion of Renault. But underneath the facade rumors spread throughout the entirety of the estate and beyond, reaching even the city of Arx. More than ever the resident servants and guards remain clear of Viran, so as to not give off the wrong impression to their Lord.

 

In a faint clearing on the edges of the estate there were two boys similar in age, yet with a complete difference in physique. These boys were sprinting across the forest clearing repeatedly, but there would only be one winner every time.

 

Viran's mood was terrible as he saw Gregory once again overtake yet again. At the edge of the clearing Gregory's clear voice rings out.

 

"Hey you know we've been running since this morning right? I don't think you're gonna get it at this rate."

 

"Shut up Gregory." A soft growl leaves Viran's throat.

 

Seeing this Gregory grins and waves his hand and says with an undisturbed expression.

 

"Look I'm telling you Viran, your Mana already ran out. It ran out ages ago because it's just that weak, your time is better spent cultivating you know."

 

Clenching his fist Viran's head dips low as he finally reaches Gregory. Muttering a few despondent words.

 

"It's not my fault I'm like this… I'm not like you Gregory…"

 

The smirk on Gregory's face freezes for a moment, quickly replaced by a stiff and seemingly compassionate smile. Though his smile looks sincere enough, his eyes reveal a different message. In a consoling manner Gregory pats Viran on the back and solemnly speaks.

 

"Hey now there's nothing to be feeling down over, you know? Magic really isn't suited for you, why try so hard when you could become an Imperial Governor or Administrator. You're much better at that sort of work if you ask me!" Gregory says with a light tone.

 

Viran's body stiffens upon every word spoken. Viran really had no reason to bitterly struggle in magic besides the Martial Prowess his House is known for and the so called "talent" Renault had spoken of. 

 

Were Viran simply to put all of his time into his books he would become a talented civil servant to the Empire. Viran was no fool and knew that becoming a swordsman was not something his Father would want, and he had been consecutively pushed back at every opportunity by that man. Working without guidance and attacked from all sides, Viran's path in the sword and arcane would be fraught with danger and he may eventually be forced to give up. Were it before the week with Renault, Viran would not be training and instead would be reading alone once more. 

 

Viran's mind comes to a conclusion and his body relaxes as he exhales deeply. Turning to Gregory Viran speaks with the features of a determined boy, having found his reason.

 

"It doesn't matter if I'm more suited to being some peon, serving in the Imperial Palace. What matters is that right now, I enjoy this. Ever since the first lesson Sir Renault showed me I have been overcome with an anticipation I've never felt before. Swords and magic had always interested me… But now it's different than just that, I think I'm willing to spend the rest of my life doing this. I no longer have wishes to spend a dull life surrounded by fiction, when I can experience the real thing." Viran speaks passionately as he raises his arms.

 

A slight pinch in the back of Gregory's mind brings him back to reality. Staring at Viran, a smile no longer there, his emotions slowly bubble out as he gritly enunciates every word.

 

"Fine. Do. What. You. Want." Gregory turns around and begins to walk further from Viran.

 

Seeing this a distressed Viran walks behind him. In a hurried manner his hand reaches out and grips Gregory's shoulder.

 

"Woah wait! Gregory where are you going?"

 

A deep stare shoots through Viran's very being. The eyes of Gregory seemingly turning back in time, the same eyes that had seemed so arrogant and disrespectful before. A harsh yet light voice echos out.

 

"I have something to talk about with Father. You can't come, I'm sure you'll just stay here and not take my advice." His voice drops low as he mutters to himself. "Even though I'm better."

 

Viran remains in place as his head is implanted on his hand. A sigh breaks the silence of the clearing as he looks up at the path Gregory had taken just moments before. Not knowing what had set off that sort of response from his only friend, Viran contemplates as he stares at the dirt in front of him.

 

'Those eyes… That grin… Gregory had been mocking me for every step of the way…' Thought Viran.

 

Shaking away the doubts that weighed upon his mind, Viran falls down and closes his eyes. A warm sensation fills his stomach as he attempts to eke out the little Mana he had left. As he cultivates he wouldn't be able to increase his Mana supply until he first regenerates the Mana he had lost during his training.

 

With no access to a spell manual Viran had decided to find Gregory today and get him to help him use magic. Viran attempted to use magic to make him faster and more agile than his usual self but his Mana was quickly drained by his impertinent usage and he was soon left with barely any Mana left… Were it any other boy his age they would still be able to go on and continue, this shows the blatant weakness Viran has.

 

During the process of utilizing magic there were many variables such as how much Mana do you use, how much do you need to focus to use it, and which root to send the mana through. And Viran's impromptu teacher Gregory wasn't helping, instead mocking Viran during the entire ordeal and making Viran stubbornly try repeatedly despite the harsh lack of Mana.

 

Having left his room finally with a steeled determination, Viran could not help but feel discouraged by this. In both swordsmanship and magic he was an amateur, yet the potential of his swordsmanship outclassed his magic in an overwhelming way. It really couldn’t be helped since most people would begin learning about magic as early as five years old… Without the support of his Father and years he had lost in cultivating his mana he was doomed to have less mana than even those without Noble blood.

 

It all still feels unreal to Viran, realizing just how far his own Father suppressed him. Though Viran was never close to his Father, there was still a semblance of gratitude from being fed everyday and being taught by a tutor.

 

A shaky and small chuckle escapes Viran.

 

Now Viran felt stupid, for feeling gratitude to that man. Viran could only feel gratitude for Sir Renault who had shown him the way, and a deep seated grief for what resulted from that. Gratitude for his only “friend” Gregory was a nonexistent thing for Viran.

 

Viran would usually not feel the pangs of anger and jealousy due to their different standings, but there were exceptions. Viran had initially hoped Gregory wouldn’t be treated any differently from him, but that idea was off the table right when he heard his Father’s thunderous laughter. Laughter he had only ever heard once in his life.

 

The Gregory he had first seen in the past had an arrogant and mocking smile, and the Gregory today now had the same smile towards him. Viran could not help but wonder if the Gregory he had just observed was the real Gregory, and not the same that he had played chess with.

 

Patting dust off of himself, Viran sits up and begins to run once more in the clearing.

3