Chapter 49 – A person from another world
6.2k 41 110
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

<<<This chapter begins with Rosette after she left Janet's tea party.>>>

An elegant carriage drawn by gaze-worthy stallions drove down the wide cobble street of the capital city. Inside the spacious carriage body were luxuriously cushioned leather seats and a noble girl looking outside the window dazedly. No one knew what was on her mind, other than herself.

‘Humans are scarily adaptable to any situation.’ 

Since Rosette first transmigrated, she had gradually gotten used to her female body and identity. 

In just over a year, Rosette achieved incredible amount of power and connections to the extent she could overthrow the kingdom with a snap of her fingers. 

Rosette looked outside the carriage windows as it passed by a few residential streets. 

The bustling of the capital city seem so strange… because everything feels deceptively real, yet not. 

‘Do all the people out there have the same consciousness that I do, or are they NPCs programmed to think they are conscious?’

‘Maybe everything I’m experiencing is just a simulation… I could be inside the otome game I was programming, or a manhwa uploaded on a pirated site, or a story some author wrote.’

Rosette always managed to dissociate herself from everything around her, because she perceived everyone else as characters. She never took anything seriously because she found it hard to attach herself to anything in this world. 

This was also why she felt a sense of camaraderie whenever she visited Tina - it was a sense of kinship where both knew they were in a fictional world.

‘It would be funny if this whole transmigration was just one long acid trip I’ve yet to wake up from.’ 

‘It would be even funnier if I turned out to be just another character in a web novel.’

“Young lady, there’s a blockage on the road.”

The carriage driver interrupted Rosette’s existential crisis. She lazily gazed at the people crowding towards something in the middle.

“What is it?” Rosette gave into her heavy eyelids and leaned her head back against the seat.

“It seems there is an unconscious person in weird clothes. People said she appeared inside the market fountains out of nowhere.” 

Rosette’s eyes fluttered open at this statement, her back unconsciously straightened. 

“Let the knights clear the area. And bring that person back to the Yttrea mansion.”

Now there was yet another person from Rosette’s original world.

><><><><><><

“His heart rate is 130bpm, systolic blood pressure’s dropping below 80. He’s desaturating.” 

“Follow the major haemorrhage protocols. Infuse the cross-matched blood and get more O negative blood from the blood bank.”

“Did you manage to find the source of bleeding?”

“Gastroepiploic vein. Diathermy isn’t helping because I can’t see where the fuck it is. Suction!”

The operating theatre was in “controlled” chaos. Two surgeons were struggling to find the source of bleeding, the anaesthetist was calling 2222, and theatre nurses were rushing to supply gauze packs.

“Found it.” One of the surgeons pushed her hand in, and pinched the oozing vessel between her fingers. “Vascular clamp please. And diathermy.”

After 10 hours of gruelling surgery, Yunn stepped out of the operating theatre. Her hair under the scrub hat was soaked with sweat. She was tired, but had another 5 hours left on her shift, so she headed for the patient wards with a coffee in hand.

Maybe because it was her 5th cup of coffee, or maybe it was how she hadn’t had any proper meal for the past two days… When she climbed the dimly lit stairs of the hospital, her vision started to spin and she felt herself fall.

Instead of hitting the hard concrete floor and cracking her head, she felt herself sink into a body of water.

Yunn was a healthcare professional who dealt with life and death every single day, the concept of passing away was not alien or panic-inducing for her.

So when she saw her life passing right in front of her eyes, nothing mattered. She just wanted to sleep in peace.

But the noise around her got only louder and louder.

A strange unfamiliar language that she somehow managed to understand.

“What is that girl wearing?!”

“Did anyone see her jump into the fountain, or is it just me seeing her appear out of thin air?”

“Mommy, she looks funny.”

“Timmy, don’t point fingers at strangers.”

“Why is she dressed like a man?”

“Everyone clear up!”

“Oh it’s the duke’s knights. Let’s go.”

Then everything fell gradually silent, allowing Yunn to finally drift off to sleep.

><><><><><><

Rosette stared at the unconscious person on the bed and the pile of neatly folded scrubs on the bedside table. She looked mid-twenties, with slightly tanned complexion, black hair and prominent asian features. 

A doctor.

It wasn’t weird for a medical professional to appear in the fantasy world. One must realise there is a growing supply of medical isekai where the protagonist makes best use of their professional knowledge and become unparalleled.

In a medieval world where being ill could only be healed by holy powers and priests, people struggle to survive even seasonal flu without dying. Because the church was a money hungry organisation, it would always give preferential treatment for the rich.

The commoners could only beg on the church’s door. 

Doctors exist, of course. Their therapies relied mainly on herbs and tonics and could only treat mild symptoms. If a person came in with tetanus, they simply shake their head and redirect them to the church.

Of course, these patients soon die.

Now, imagine if there was a person who could treat people to full recovery.

Those church bastards could only grit their teeth and cry.

The church had long been a thorn in Rosette’s eyes. She hated their hypocritical way of living and the way of extorting poor people using religion and faith as a weapon.

If she wanted to kick the church, Rosette needed this world-hopped person on their side.

Finally putting my medical knowledge to use. Let me know if the terminology was hard to understand, so I know if I should tone it down/add explanations, etc.

Also credits to TheEldritchGod for idea to add a world-hopped character.

110